Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54601
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 5:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Liam Kelly
Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Subject: Liam Kelly
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 2:14pm
Young lad makes his debut for Reading today!! Fair play  https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/789813641042284544" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/789813641042284544

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Replies:
Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 4:47pm
Got subbed off on 28 minutes. Most likely an injury...

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 6:11pm
He wasn't injured. Nightmare of a debut

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Were you at/watching the game? What was so bad about his 28 minute performance that made the manager take him off?

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Were you at/watching the game? What was so bad about his 28 minute performance that made the manager take him off?
I read an article and it said that it seemed like the game was just passing him by, the author seemed to blame Jaap Stam more for starting him in a game that was always going to be about physicality/direct football.  

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 10:02pm

No wasn't at it. Meant it was a nightmare being taken off after 28 mins, I've no idea how he played. I'd imagine not particularly well though

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:13am

No wasn't at it. Meant it was a nightmare being taken off after 28 mins, I've no idea how he played. I'd imagine not particularly well though

That's an awful thing to do to a player. Fair enough if he had gifted a couple of goals. Hopefully he had taken a knock and that was the reason!

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 12:38am
Lenny this is professional football, there is no room for sentiment at the highest level.

It was merely a tactical substitution, Rotherham are extremely direct, the game wasn't suiting him so yes being taken off so early wasn't ideal but it paid dividends in the end for Reading.

Kelly is at least in his managers thoughts and may very well get back in the first team picture sooner rather than later.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 1:05am

That's an awful thing to do to a player. Fair enough if he had gifted a couple of goals. Hopefully he had taken a knock and that was the reason!
sometimes it's the best thing to do rather than leave the player out there struggling, it's clear that Stam+the coaching staff think highly of him hopefully he'll get another chance soon enough

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Lenny this is professional football, there is no room for sentiment at the highest level.

It was merely a tactical substitution, Rotherham are extremely direct, the game wasn't suiting him so yes being taken off so early wasn't ideal but it paid dividends in the end for Reading.

Kelly is at least in his managers thoughts and may very well get back in the first team picture sooner rather than later.

Ah yeah, I get that. I suppose what I was trying to say is it can't really fill him with confidence and will be the first thing he thinks of next time he starts. I still think it is humiliating for him and surely they could have seen out another 17 minutes before taking him off. If he was on a yellow and was losing the head looking like he'd be sent off, then fair enough. If he was a keeper who was making clanger after clanger or a defender gifting goals to the opposition, then fair enough.

Maybe I'm just too soft or cutting the lad some slack because he's Irish. That's what is holding me back from managing in the Premier League!

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
Starts tonight for Reading vs Arsenal! Fair play to Jaap Stam for giving him another chance

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:02pm
Good stuff!

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:21pm
The management team love him, it seems:

"Liam Kelly is a beautiful story. When I came in six months ago I saw him and I immediately asked, who is this small kid? Everyone said he is not a kid anymore, he has been here a long time. Then when Jaap came in I didn’t tell him anything about the academy players, I wanted to see if he saw the same thing that I saw. And the first thing he said was who is the youngster? I said that’s  http://www.getreading.co.uk/all-about/liam-kelly" rel="nofollow - Liam Kelly  - and now he’s involved with the first-team."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-reading-fc-interview-brian-11683594

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:12pm
This lad has been outstanding tonight, to say the least!

-------------

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:44pm
How irish is this guy? Take it he was born in england?

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:46pm
Irish enough to have a Irish passport, and therefore as Irish as anyone else...

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:46pm
Call him up for Austria, should be capped now!!!!!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:49pm
Or was he born in ireland,enlighten me please.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:55pm
He was born in Ireland.....

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:59pm
Where.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Where.
Hospital

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Where.
cork boiiiii

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

[QUOTE=Dugs]Where.
dunno 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:14pm
So weve pinned him down to cork. Havent seen him yet i have to admit but he sounds promising.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:14pm
Couldn't find anything on the internet so I checked football manager, according to that he was born in Basingstoke, England.  No idea if that's accurate but it's close enough to Reading

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 10:24pm
Its a mystery.

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 11:13pm
He was either born in england or moved there very young

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:24am
Reading born and raised according to the club website  http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/lkellysigns191113-1183499.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/lkellysigns191113-1183499.aspx
Looks comparable to James Mccarthy in terms of where he plays and general playing style, very small for a footballer though

Posted By: liam_in_germany
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:45am
Is he even eligible?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:58am
Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

Is he even eligible?
he's played u18s and u21s for us, and if FM is anything to go by he's declared for us too

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Reading born and raised according to the club website  http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/lkellysigns191113-1183499.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/lkellysigns191113-1183499.aspx
Looks comparable to James Mccarthy in terms of where he plays and general playing style, very small for a footballer though
He is a ridiculous looking young fella, head of a forty year old from the fifties on the body of a child. LOL
Still, if he has the ability then size is irrelevant.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:47am
He's only 5'4, so considering the type of managers we tend to go for he'll probably find it difficult to get a look in over his career.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 9:48am
Without googling it, I doubt David Connolly was much taller.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 10:30am
He's highly thought of at Reading - Should be getting a new deal shortly by all accounts. 

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's only 5'4, so considering the type of managers we tend to go for he'll probably find it difficult to get a look in over his career.

Saw a picture of him. He's shorter legs than E.T. and I doubt there's any more growing in him!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Without googling it, I doubt David Connolly was much taller.

5'9

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 1:50pm
Where abouts in Cork?

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 1:58pm
He was conceived on the Blarney Stone

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:22pm
5 inches makes a differance.....................maybe the ladies can confirm that.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:27pm
He's has scored some absolute worldys already YouTube liam Kelly goals

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

Where abouts in Cork?

Little Island.

Posted By: ccfcmurphy
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 5:20pm
He's from Macroom and his Mams name is Mary

Posted By: AussieGreen
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:32am
Brooklodge East near the old school.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:46pm

Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

Where abouts in Cork?

Little Island.

ClapLOL

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:52pm
First league start tonight vs Leeds

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:58pm

Didn't he not start vs Rotherham?

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 7:09pm

Didn't he not start vs Rotherham?
apologies, thought his full first team debut was against Arsenal in the cup and tonight was his league debut

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 3:08pm
Starting away to Blackburn

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 12:42pm
Played a blinder by all accounts

"Definitely deserved MOTM. Questioned his selection v Leeds but he's proven me wrong and I have no shame in admitting that. Was at the heart of play all afternoon and looked like belongs at Championship level."

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 10:33am
Got an assist in Reading's 3-1 victory over Norwich and Stam has been singing his praises. Kelly has now been linked with a Premier League move. Defo one to watch 

-------------

Posted By: edthered
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 11:08am
Has had a run in the team lately and has really impressed. Saw him in the flesh and he is surprisingly adept at holding the ball given his stature. Really highly regarded at Reading- will hopefully get plenty more league minutes this season.

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 3:49pm
Look over the hill, its members of the FA tripping over each other trying to get to Liam's house and trick him into playing for England. Will be disappointed to find out he is Irish born.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: Hickster74
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 4:17pm
https://youtu.be/-2hQWXWgmKw" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/-2hQWXWgmKw

https://youtu.be/xUwHjl4ltP0" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/xUwHjl4ltP0

https://youtu.be/ya0o-0SRKPk

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Got an assist in Reading's 3-1 victory over Norwich and Stam has been singing his praises. Kelly has now been linked with a Premier League move. Defo one to watch 

Really hope that's only nonsense in the media, he should stay at Reading for the next season or two and continue to learn his trade because they are definitely a club on the rise again.

If he's good enough to move in the future then fair play to him, but he needs to play a hell of a lot more than 8 or so Championship games before he moves on. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:58pm

Really hope that's only nonsense in the media, he should stay at Reading for the next season or two and continue to learn his trade because they are definitely a club on the rise again.

If he's good enough to move in the future then fair play to him, but he needs to play a hell of a lot more than 8 or so Championship games before he moves on. 
agreed, Jaap Stam will develop him too

-------------

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 5:30pm
I see Rangers (and Celtic apparently) are possibly in for him.  I wonder if he were to join the blue side of Glasgow, would he get the same vitriol our former U21 captain, Kiernan gets on here? 

Did we ever clear up whether he was born on the island of Ireland or qualifies by ancestry?

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 5:46pm
Safe to say he's a big England fan anyway. Another Grealish-saga I feel. There's plenty more of these tweets from him too...

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 5:52pm
AngryAngryAngry  http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE" rel="nofollow - No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

I think he was born in Dublin, but has lived in England most of his life. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 5:54pm
FFS. Not another one Stern Smile

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 5:58pm

FFS. Not another one Stern Smile
exactly. Who gives a sh1t. Getting boring at this stage. Well get by. We always have.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 6:27pm
Well there, the FA are going to do all in there power to keep him so, dont matter that Wales and USA are taking player's from top premiership sides like Tottenham and Liverpool it's way more important that the FA keep a championship player commited!

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 6:42pm
The good news for the English FA is they won't have to try that hard to trick him into thinking he has a future with them like they did do Hogan and Grealish.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I see Rangers (and Celtic apparently) are possibly in for him.  I wonder if he were to join the blue side of Glasgow, would he get the same vitriol our former U21 captain, Kiernan gets on here? 

Did we ever clear up whether he was born on the island of Ireland or qualifies by ancestry?
Right there Luis, following my exchanging of views with the very similar minded to you poster, O'Shea, I've re read the entire Rob Kiernan thread in search of this mysterious vitriol you both complain about. In 11 pages, I found 3 posts that might possibly be construed as vitriol by say Reverand Lovejoys Missus, the aptly named Mrs Lovejoy.

As is said to O'Shea last night in the relevant thread, there has been a lot worse posted about both current and past players who never had any connection with the Ibrox outfit. The claims of vitriol and abuse are red herrings. 99.5% of the posts are fair criticism and/or opinion, my own posts on Kiernan last night included.

Also, dont be so quick to throw the if he played for anybody else card around. You dont have to look too far onYBIG to see Celtic get abused, the quality of the SPL get questioned, LOI questioned and not to mention EPL/Championship clubs. If you want to argue Kiernans corner, by all means do so in the relevant thread,but dont attempt to drag other posters comments to the gutter with unfounded claims of 'vitriol' with sectarian undertones by using the if he played for anybody else card.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Right there Luis, following my exchanging of views with the very similar minded to you poster, O'Shea, I've re read the entire Rob Kiernan thread in search of this mysterious vitriol you both complain about. In 11 pages, I found 3 posts that might possibly be construed as vitriol by say Reverand Lovejoys Missus, the aptly named Mrs Lovejoy.

As is said to O'Shea last night in the relevant thread, there has been a lot worse posted about both current and past players who never had any connection with the Ibrox outfit. The claims of vitriol and abuse are red herrings. 99.5% of the posts are fair criticism and/or opinion, my own posts on Kiernan last night included.

Also, dont be so quick to throw the if he played for anybody else card around. You dont have to look too far onYBIG to see Celtic get abused, the quality of the SPL get questioned, LOI questioned and not to mention EPL/Championship clubs. If you want to argue Kiernans corner, by all means do so in the relevant thread,but dont attempt to drag other posters comments to the gutter with unfounded claims of 'vitriol' with sectarian undertones by using the if he played for anybody else card.
Also, and I don't know why this needs to be pointed out at all, hating a football club isn't sectarian or bigoted, it is part and parcel of the game.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 8:25pm
Indeed you are right, and in my initial prenpost thoughts that exact sentiment was in my mind. When it came to typing however, it eluded me.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

The good news for the English FA is they won't have to try that hard to trick him into thinking he has a future with them like they did do Hogan and Grealish.

You digging again?

Coming soon to a cinema near you!

A thriller starring....... a ybig poster with baseless assertions and that dastardly English FA and their wiley ways.......Who will win the heart and mind of Liam Kelly?

Stay tuned!

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:23pm
@GUFC, I'm glad Twitter and Facebook (autocapital fckers) didn't exist when I was 17.

-------------
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:37pm
If this lad is born in Ireland I will eat my hat. English true and true by the looks of it.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

@GUFC, I'm glad Twitter and Facebook (autocapital fckers) didn't exist when I was 17.
agreed, it's handy tho for finding out what these players think

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

If this lad is born in Ireland I will eat my hat. English true and true by the looks of it.

Who cares

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:01pm

agreed, it's handy tho for finding out what these players think

True and fair play for finding those. I wrote the young lad off when I saw the date of the tweet shouting for England but then I thought again. If a young lad was born here and his parents brought him over wherever in the world, and he ended up losing touch with home and as a teenager tried to fit in by sending messages to idiot mates when he's seventeen. He wouldn't deserve to be written off just because everything's on record now. Of course all of that depends on wiki being right, and his parents not keeping watch for whatever reason. Anyone know the answer?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:06pm
ROW section????

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:09pm
What did santa bring him Andy?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:15pm

ROW section????

Me or Liam

-------------

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:17pm
This tweet conveniently left out of the list: https://twitter.com/L_Kelly95/status/316669594372812800" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/L_Kelly95/status/316669594372812800

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:35pm

ROW section????

Me or Liam
loads of room for you both

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What did santa bring him Andy?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:59pm

ROW section????

Me or Liam
loads of room for you both

I Love Hate Ireland

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 10:06am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

This tweet conveniently left out of the list: https://twitter.com/L_Kelly95/status/316669594372812800" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/L_Kelly95/status/316669594372812800

Link doesn't work (at least for me.)

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Link doesn't work (at least for me.)
Strange, it was working when I posted it. It was "Let's all laugh at England HAHAHAHAHA"

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 12:38pm

at 5ft 4 he must have some pace and skill on him to be linked to the prem. 

Just checked Shawn Wright Phillips was 5ft 5 who I believe was the smallest player in the EPL.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 2:20pm
Was this fella not born in Cork and has played for our under 19's? Tweets a few things about England and suddenly we risk him pulling a Grealish!

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 2:37pm
He's Irish. Move on.

-------------

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He's Irish. Move on.
is he though. Is he.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 3:47pm
The lad was born in Ireland, has played for our underage squads and is now getting his chance in the Championship. But no- let's not see how he develops, let's just throw him under the bus instead.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by edthered edthered wrote:

The lad was born in Ireland, has played for our underage squads and is now getting his chance in the Championship. But no- let's not see how he develops, let's just throw him under the bus instead.
why has he tweeted sh*te about England then? Probably trying to fit in I suppose

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 3:52pm
Cheers Andy.  Seriously impressive and slightly creepy research there.  You wouldn't happen to have the lotto numbers next week by any chance?

The lad's obviously English-born of Irish descent, like loads of his colleagues in our U21s and big players on our team now and through the ages.  

I've no problem with a dual-nationality player feeling personal allegiance to another country - so long as when he puts the green jersey on he knows where his allegiance lies.  Whilst a huge fan of Roy, I always felt he was childish when he criticised Matt Holland for singing GSOQ at Wembley.  The lad can clearly be BOTH Irish and English and shouldn't have to pretend otherwise.  

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 4:14pm
When I first saw his Wikipedia page I'm fairly sure he was listed as English born, his P.O.B has since been changed to "Republic of Ireland", but nothing more specific than that... It would seem to me that he was either born in England or moved there at a young age, so either way he would be eligible for them.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 4:18pm

Cheers Andy.  Seriously impressive and slightly creepy research there.  You wouldn't happen to have the lotto numbers next week by any chance?

The lad's obviously English-born of Irish descent, like loads of his colleagues in our U21s and big players on our team now and through the ages.  

I've no problem with a dual-nationality player feeling personal allegiance to another country - so long as when he puts the green jersey on he knows where his allegiance lies.  Whilst a huge fan of Roy, I always felt he was childish when he criticised Matt Holland for singing GSOQ at Wembley.  The lad can clearly be BOTH Irish and English and shouldn't have to pretend otherwise.  

I know I look like a right creep now, not that hard to find them tweets though

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 5:28pm
This is practically Operation Yewtree territory. A kid's Tweets from 3-4 years ago, FFS ...

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 5:45pm
Not criticising Andy.  The FAI should have you the payroll - identify a few other prospects for us.

Kelly's obviously advancing rapidly in a good solid club with an excellent reputation for its academy and youth development as well as a shot at promotion.  In fact, promotion might well be detrimental to his prospects: at his age he is bound to get more playing time in the Championship.  

If he keeps this upward trajectory he should be considered, along with the talented Josh Cullen, for a call-up, even on a developmental basis, for March (as O'Dowda was initially).

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

This is practically Operation Yewtree territory. A kid's Tweets from 3-4 years ago, FFS ...

he would've been 17/18 when he tweeted his support for England though? Not exactly a kid really, you'd have sense at that age...

-------------

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:57pm
He's not from Ireland, its just someone trying to fill in the blanks on wikipedia and assuming his having represented  the ROI he came from here (obviously not someone familiar with our national squad backgrounds I'd imagine)
Anyway according to Reading's own website he was born in Reading, also strangely never played for our under-21 team (except some under-20 friendly 2 years back) despite now being 21 and so having just outgrown it so not sure what the story is there given our generally limited quality and options at that level?

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:57pm
https://twitter.com/L_Kelly95/status/814952750383595520%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/L_Kelly95/status/814952750383595520

Signed a new deal with Reading.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 4:07am
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38473246" rel="nofollow - http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38473246

Jaap Stam:

"Hopefully he can keep his performances up, continue to improve and we can get ourselves an even better player than he already is in the future."

I don't get what Stam is yapping about at the end of that but the truth is that if we've a young lad that grows up in England and becomes too good too early, we need to hope he's been brought up right or he'll be filled full of sh*t by commission grabbing English (or middle eastern) agents.

Truth be told:

Unless you're playing top half by 21, you can play for us and be guaranteed chances to give your career a boost or declare for them and never play.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:34pm
First league goal for Reading today coming from the bench- really well taken finish from 12 yards out.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:35pm
Just scored for Reading

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:37pm

Just scored for Reading

Insightful

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:47pm
Came from the bench to totally turn the game around for us. Received the ball on the edge of the box and squared a lovely ball for Kermorgant to level

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 6:16pm
Seems a real talent, is he overage for the U-21's?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net