Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

La Liga thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 40>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 11:22pm
Very good game. Barca should have been 3 up after half an hour but Atletico had enough chances to win. Excellent go alone clearance from Araujo in injury time.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 8:45pm
Xavi getting it wrong again with his substitutions! Dembele was brilliant and he takes him off for Ferran Torres who has been shocking this season, bringing Busquets on for De Jong another terrible move.

Raphinha and Torres are nowhere near good enough for Barcelona.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:02pm
Barca battered Madrid Clap

Pedri and Gavi unreal again! The return of Araujo is massive, what a defender.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:16pm

Pedri and Gavi Heart
El Puto Amo
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 11:39pm
Great to see an Irish player in La Liga again. Steve Finnan maybe the last Irish player in the Spanish top flight? Played a handful of games for Espanyol. Ian Harte before him, then probably Aldridge and Moran?

As You Were
Three in a row
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 6:51pm
Interesting article on Valencia here - very sad to see a great old club being dragged down by an idiot owner, Gary Neville's chum, Peter Lim. (And when I say "idiot", I'm being kind)

And the ownership problems alluded to above are only half the story - they started building a new stadium to replace the Mestalla back in 2007 in what was more of a property play than a footballing one from what I can gather. Production stopped in 2009 with the new place half-built and has seen only half-hearted attempts to get it finished since.

Of course that means they get to stay at the Mestalla, one of the great stadia of Europe - like eg St.James Park, only without the need for a roof:

Edited by Territorial - 09 Feb 2023 at 6:55pm
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 7:21pm
I thought the new ground was now very close to being opened? I've been to the Mestella before,  what a ground. Sat right up the back and the steepness of the stand is unbelievable. 

That team they had in the early 2000's was quality.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

I thought the new ground was now very close to being opened? I've been to the Mestella before, what a ground. Sat right up the back and the steepness of the stand is unbelievable. 

Even steeper than the upper tiers at Croke Park? I've been to loads of stadiums now and none of them have felt as high and steep as CP. Shocked
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I thought the new ground was now very close to being opened? I've been to the Mestella before, what a ground. Sat right up the back and the steepness of the stand is unbelievable. 

Even steeper than the upper tiers at Croke Park? I've been to loads of stadiums now and none of them have felt as high and steep as CP. 

Yes, easily. It's an effort walking up each step it's that steep. Also there is a drop off the back of the stadium with a tiny wall preventing you and a fall onto a safety net (20 years ago anyway). Health and safety would have a field day.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 8:28pm

I thought the new ground was now very close to being opened?
You might be right. I do know that in December 2021 the club went to the Council with a revised plan (Version 6? 7?) which proposed a stadium of between 43-50k capacity, but with the potential to increase it to 60k ("depending on demand etc")

It seems the Council told them to "do one", since the whole original justification for the move was to build a modern, 70k+ plus stadium that the city could be proud of etc.

Now the latest I can find by googling is this from the Daily Star(!) from last Summer, which refers to a report in El Pais:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/valencia-stadium-built-nou-mestalla-27713390

Basically that says that the club is going to find another €100m to complete the build by September 2025, with an initial capacity of 66k, rising to 75k within another five months. Tellingly, the Council looks to have demanded that it be a multi-sports stadium with a running track, meaning it can surely never have the same atmosphere as the original Mestalla.

While I strongly suspect that another €100m will only get them a very basic design, entirely devoid of bells and whistles etc.

Anyhow, I'm still not sure whether this latest proposal has actually gone ahead. Anyone?

I've been to the Mestella before,  what a ground. Sat right up the back and the steepness of the stand is unbelievable. 
Same here. Aside from just wanting to see a match - any match - in this iconic stadium, this was also my pilgrimage to the ground where Gerry Armstrong scored that goal at Espana 1982!

Indeed. With their history, and their status as the senior club by far in a city of 1.5m (Spain's 3rd largest), it must have taken some incompetence in the Boardroom over many years to drag them down to their present sorry state.

In fact, being only one point above the relegation places, you'd have to wonder whether relegation would put the kibosh on the latest stadium plans?

Again.

Edited by Territorial - 09 Feb 2023 at 8:46pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I thought the new ground was now very close to being opened?
You might be right. I do know that in December 2021 the club went to the Council with a revised plan (Version 6? 7?) which proposed a stadium of between 43-50k capacity, but with the potential to increase it to 60k ("depending on demand etc")

It seems the Council told them to "do one", since the whole original justification for the move was to build a modern, 70k+ plus stadium that the city could be proud of etc.

Now the latest I can find by googling is this from the Daily Star(!) from last Summer, which refers to a report in El Pais:
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/valencia-stadium-built-nou-mestalla-27713390

Basically that says that the club is going to find another €100m to complete the build by September 2025, with an initial capacity of 66k, rising to 75k within another five months. Tellingly, the Council looks to have demanded that it be a multi-sports stadium with a running track, meaning it can surely never have the same atmosphere as the original Mestalla.

While I strongly suspect that another €100m will only get them a very basic design, entirely devoid of bells and whistles etc.

Anyhow, I'm still not sure whether this latest proposal has actually gone ahead. Anyone?

I've been to the Mestella before, what a ground. Sat right up the back and the steepness of the stand is unbelievable. 
Same here. Aside from just wanting to see a match - any match - in this iconic stadium, this was also my pilgrimage to the ground where Gerry Armstrong scored that goal at Espana 1982!

Indeed. With their history, and their status as the senior club by far in a city of 1.5m (Spain's 3rd largest), it must have taken some incompetence in the Boardroom over many years to drag them down to their present sorry state.

In fact, being only one point above the relegation places, you'd have to wonder whether relegation would put the kibosh on the latest stadium plans?

Again.

Valencia: Former La Liga winners and Champions League finalists in turmoil - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64545162

Their owner clearly has a lot to answer for. Clown
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:02am

I thought the new ground was now very close to being opened? I've been to the Mestella before,  what a ground. Sat right up the back and the steepness of the stand is unbelievable. 

They had some quality jerseys back then too. Used to always pick them up when Elvery's had a wide range of random jerseys in store.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

II've been to the Mestella before, what a ground. Sat right up the back and the steepness of the stand is unbelievable.
Even steeper than the upper tiers at Croke Park? I've been to loads of stadiums now and none of them have felt as high and steep as CP. Shocked

Never been to CP myself, but I cannot believe that it's any steeper than,  or even as steep as, the Mestalla:

Edited by Territorial - 10 Feb 2023 at 12:35pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:54pm
Stroll in the park for Real Madrid tonight. Piece of piss. Massive gulf in class.

As You Were
Three in a row
CatalanCelt1 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatalanCelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 11:10am
Will be in Barcelona Paddys weekend and El Classico is on Sunday 19th. Obviously chances are slim to none but does anyone know how or best way to locate tickets? Signed up for proper email list and will not consider paying Viagogo ridiculous prices. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 9:33pm
Barca missing a lot of chances, great game.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 10:09pm
Barca now 12 points clear -surely their title to throw away now.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:00pm
Remember Malaga CF?

Ten years ago they were within a dodgy offside flag of reaching the CL Semi-Finals. Now they're odds-on to get relegated to the Spanish 3rd tier. As well as serious mismanagement on the field - 10 managers in the past five years, including three this season alone - they're also screwed financially off-the-field, ironically since having been bought by an apparently wealthy member of the Qatari Royal Family in 2010:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 40>
  Share Topic