You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamie McGrath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Scores.

Cracker Clap

Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 11:39pm
Thanks Bandwagon.

He could have had three. They should have had a penalty at the end and on another day he converts on of the other few half chances.

Cracker of a goal as you say. Big fan of Jamie's. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 6:14pm
Aberdeen apparently trying to get him on a pre-contract for next season. Will be interesting to see if he takes it or holds out for something better.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Aberdeen apparently trying to get him on a pre-contract for next season. Will be interesting to see if he takes it or holds out for something better.

Aberdeen? Jaysus, that's it?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Aberdeen? Jaysus, that's it?

May as well stay where he is if that's it... last year mcgrath was having a good season but is ir fair to say he's gone off the boil a bit.

Do you watch a lot of St Mirren?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 7:04pm
McGrath is likely on less than £1000 a week at St Mirren. Maybe even closer to half that. Many of us will be earning more than him right now, which is crazy for a player of his ability. Aberdeen (or Hibs if they go back in for him) could offer him four or five times his current wage, so there's definitely a reason for him to leave St. Mirren for them.

However, if he holds out, he may well get an offer from a Championship team, who could probably offer him twice what Aberdeen could.

But it ends up as a choice between Aberdeen and League 1 clubs, he'd be better off going to Aberdeen.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 7:07pm

McGrath is likely on less than £1000 a week at St Mirren. Maybe even closer to half that. Many of us will be earning more than him right now, which is crazy for a player of his ability. Aberdeen (or Hibs if they go back in for him) could offer him four or five times his current wage, so there's definitely a reason for him to leave St. Mirren for them.

However, if he holds out, he may well get an offer from a Championship team, who could probably offer him twice what Aberdeen could.

But it ends up as a choice between Aberdeen and League 1 clubs, he'd be better off going to Aberdeen.

Wigan are in the mix for promotion from League One so he'd be better off going there if they're still interested.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 7:16pm
He's still a very important player for them. The goals have dried up a bit, though he did score one absolute screamer a few weeks back. This will almost definitely be his last season at St Mirren, although they'd make him their top earner if he signed a new deal. However they can be easily outbid in terms of wages by other teams in the division.

The only question really is whether he moves in January or in the summer.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Wigan are in the mix for promotion from League One so he'd be better off going there if they're still interested.

Wonder will Boro come back in for him given the manager's changed since they were in for him in the summer. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:01pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:03pm
A good move by Aberdeen, they may go back in with a small fee to sign him this month.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:11pm
Guaranteed to keep playing first team football. Decent move imo. Hopefully bags himself decent quid. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:18pm
A bit underwhelming in my opinion. He very nearly joined Middlesborough last summer. I suppose at least he'll play, but I though he could get a better move (high end of championship or if he was to stay in Scotland, Celtic)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:22pm
Celtic is literally the last place you'd want him to go. I think a few Championship clubs have missed a trick here, he'll probably move to that level in a year or two, but he'll cost someone a couple of million at that point.

I don't know why playing well for Aberdeen or Hibs makes you worth £3m but playing well for St Mirren in the same division only makes you worth a few hundred thousand, but that's the way it is. John McGinn almost moved to the MLS a few years ago because there was not much interest in him when he was at St. Mirren. Eventually moved to Hibs, continued to impress and they sold him on for millions.

Edited by You Tell Me - 10 Jan 2022 at 4:27pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:37pm
It's a step up but did have some hope that maybe even a higher-level championship prem chasing team might come in for him, considering he is so cheap as well.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:48pm

Celtic is literally the last place you'd want him to go. I think a few Championship clubs have missed a trick here, he'll probably move to that level in a year or two, but he'll cost someone a couple of million at that point.

I don't know why playing well for Aberdeen or Hibs makes you worth £3m but playing well for St Mirren in the same division only makes you worth a few hundred thousand, but that's the way it is. John McGinn almost moved to the MLS a few years ago because there was not much interest in him when he was at St. Mirren. Eventually moved to Hibs, continued to impress and they sold him on for millions.

I think this is all bang on. I could sort of bring myself understand the hesitancy for better or bigger clubs in signing him were it not for the international exposure. He has done fairly well for us in his international caps against decent opposition. And his good performance have been underpinned by a well rounded set of traits - good technique, stamina and workrate. And he's shown at club level that he has an eye for a goal. 

I'm sure the professionals know more than me and I could be biased as an Ireland fan but I saw, what were in my view, plenty lesser midfielders in the FA cup at Championship clubs the weekend. And this signing surely wouldn't dent the budget too much. 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 5:02pm

I guess it comes down to two things which go hand in hand. a.) how much St Mirren can afford to pass up in terms of transfer fees and b.) the bargaining power that Hibs and Aberdeen have.

The John McGinn was an interesting case where Hibs set a price of around 4 mil. Celtic weren't willing to pay more than 3 something. They also thought once the english transfer market closed and the scottish one stayed open for an additional period, hibs would give into the 3 million fee. However, villa ended up paying the fee before the end of the window to Celtic's surprise and that was it. The rest is history. 
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 5:37pm
[QUOTE=You Tell Me]Celtic is literally the last place you'd want him to go. 

He's good enough to play for Celtic imo. I know the Irish experience hasn't been good in recent years, but McGrath is on a very different level to prospects like O'connor, Connell and Afolabi. He's 25, experienced in the SPL, and has performed well at senior international level. If Ange Postecoglou's came in for him then I wouldn't have a problem with him going there. Ange has given opportunities to the likes of Liam Scales and young players like Moffat and Dawson this season.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
  Share Topic