Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=57780
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 11:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jamie McGrath
Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Subject: Jamie McGrath
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 10:38pm
He doesn't appear to have his own thread. Given how well he is doing in the SPL and Jim Goodwin's comments, he is, in my view, one that SK should take a look at during the training camp in Spain.

Replies:
Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:01pm
Ya i dont see why not. He knows him well enough anyway. Always thought he was a tidy player. No harm in giving him a look in and see how he goes.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:02pm
Jim Goodwin has a point.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/the-republic-of-ireland-team-is-crying-out-for-goals-and-creativityjamie-provides-both-40273885.html" rel="nofollow - https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/the-republic-of-ireland-team-is-crying-out-for-goals-and-creativityjamie-provides-both-40273885.html

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:16pm
8 out of his 13 goals have been penalties. Not that I'm trying to diminish his accomplishments, just trying to add some perspective.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:17pm
Why not but if goals in Scotland is the benchmark lets recall Conor Sammon.  Feed the fish and he will score!

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Frabhoy
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:22pm
https://twitter.com/saintmirrenfc/status/1378739676073320457?s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/saintmirrenfc/status/1378739676073320457?s=19

Lovely finish

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:45pm
The amount of penalties does put a slightly different perspective on it but by all accounts he is a very accomplished and reliable penalty taker. 

That lob was class. 

Is he a Wes/Jack Byrne type player (no 10) or more of a Alan Browne/Frank Lampard (no 8) type? 

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:02am
Don't know much about him so will bow to the better knowledge of him. He's 24 so coming into his prime. Is he actually going to improve the ireland squad? 

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:07am
Haha the lack of LOI knowledge is becoming apparent LOL im not sure would he improve it but he defo wouldnt weaken it. Hes a tidy technical player. Hes no Wes but he might not be a bad option off the bench. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:09am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

The amount of penalties does put a slightly different perspective on it but by all accounts he is a very accomplished and reliable penalty taker. 

That lob was class. 

Is he a Wes/Jack Byrne type player (no 10) or more of a Alan Browne/Frank Lampard (no 8) type? 

I always got the impression he was more of an Alan Browne/Lampard type than a pure technical no. 10 player. This is only based on what I saw of him at dundalk. I wouldn't be under the impression he is a player that would make us much better but almost a similar option to what we already have. But he is doing very well and if he keeps it up or gets a move then he will deserve a shot as much as anyone else. 

Posted By: Dr. Pat
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

That lob was class. 

I always got the impression he was more of an Alan Browne/Lampard type than a pure technical no. 10 player. This is only based on what I saw of him at dundalk. I wouldn't be under the impression he is a player that would make us much better but almost a similar option to what we already have. But he is doing very well and if he keeps it up or gets a move then he will deserve a shot as much as anyone else. 

He's very different to Browne. Not really a late arriver in the box. Very technically accomplished. Not overly flashy but he's a no. 10 alright. 
You could see his talent very early at Pats but had a habit of being on the periphery of games. I've seen him 4 times this season and his game has moved on. He's physically stronger aswell. He's worth a look for sure. 

-------------
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why not but if goals in Scotland is the benchmark lets recall Conor Sammon.  Feed the fish and he will score!

LOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:26am

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with his progress. He was quite skilful at Pats but didn’t look physically able to compete at times. Dundalk obviously fancied their chances of getting him in shape but while he was decent for them, I can’t remember him being exceptional. 

I would imagine the turning point in his career was bumping into drunken me in the toilets at Barack Obama Plaza on the way back from an away match. The words that I spoke to him were probably inspiring. I can’t remember them though 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:36am
He has done well well this year, has handled the step up to a stronger league well. Might be worth a look in June if we bring a bigger squad to Spain. Realistically though, if he is to become an established international, he will need to make another step up from St. Mirren to a better club team.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:05am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He has done well well this year, has handled the step up to a stronger league well. Might be worth a look in June if we bring a bigger squad to Spain. Realistically though, if he is to become an established international, he will need to make another step up from St. Mirren to a better club team.

Realistically, we have League 1 players in our squad. He probably will move but I don't think he needs in order to make our squad. Sad reality of where we are at the moment.

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:17am
He's bound to end up at Celtic in the next 18 months. No harm for Kenny have a look at him in June if he keeps this form up

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's bound to end up at Celtic in the next 18 months. No harm for Kenny have a look at him in June if he keeps this form up

Really would you be that confident hed get a move of that size? He’s a fine player in between Alan Browne (more technically sound) and Wes Hoolahan (not quite as technical as that) since people seem to be asking what sort of a player he is. 

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Really would you be that confident hed get a move of that size? He’s a fine player in between Alan Browne (more technically sound) and Wes Hoolahan (not quite as technical as that) since people seem to be asking what sort of a player he is. 

It sounds like he might be able offer us something a little different to Browne and Hourihane so.  The obvious next step from St Mirren would be to a Championship club if he was to get an offer. 

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 1:34pm

Most stand out players in the SPL tend to end up at the Old Firm clubs. He's clearly never going to Rangers so Celtic seems a safe bet. Obviously assuming he continues this kind of form

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 2:44pm

Most stand out players in the SPL tend to end up at the Old Firm clubs. He's clearly never going to Rangers so Celtic seems a safe bet. Obviously assuming he continues this kind of form

I was thinking maybe a Championship move in the next 18 months. He’s playing really well but Lewis Ferguson to my eyes would still be in pole position as regards midfielder getting an Old Firm move. Think it’s a 1000/1 he will be at Aberdeen beyond the 21/22 season and tbh may well get a move at the end of this. 

I’d have Mcgrath 2nd behind him.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:38pm

The also mostly end up not playing much for either of the two Glasgow teams and moving on again.

Hibs or Hearts would seem a more likely move for him in a year or two I'd say.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:27pm
St Mirren knock Kilmarnock out of the Scottish Cup on penalties after a 3-3 draw to qualify for the semi-finals.

McGrath scored an equaliser in the last minute of extra time after Colin Doyle conceded a penalty for a foul on Jake Doyle-Hayes.

-------------
You know Spider, you're a f**kin' mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:32pm
They play St Johnstone in the semi final

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Big game for st mirren. Rode their luck tonight, they didn't play well at all. Some composure from mcgrath for the two penalties. 

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Big game for st mirren. Rode their luck tonight, they didn't play well at all. Some composure from mcgrath for the two penalties. 

He was involved in all three goals tonight.

You'd be hard pressed to find an Irish player who had a great, or even good, season but he's undoubtedly one.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:55pm
Not one of his better performances tonight. Took his pens well though and his free kick delivery for Shaughnessy's goal was excellent also.

Will definitely move on to a higher level than St Mirren this summer or next. He's a similar player to Conor Hourihane, both in a positive and a negative sense.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:00pm
Jim Goodwin certainly does his bit for giving Irish players a chance.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:14pm

He should look to bring Troy Parrott in on loan next season. Genuinely. Would take him out of the spotlight a bit and he'd suit the style of football that they're playing at St Mirren.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:23pm

He should look to bring Troy Parrott in on loan next season. Genuinely. Would take him out of the spotlight a bit and he'd suit the style of football that they're playing at St Mirren.

Actually agree, Scottish league is tougher than many make it out to be. Big game experience going to parkhead and ibrox. Also, if St mirren win the cup, european football. 

A different setting and a manager like Goodwin would really help him.
Shades of Stokes move to Falkirk about it.  The loan move for McNamara to St Johnstone really helped him too. Be nice to see Parrott go up there and get a few goals. 

Date Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:29pm
16th of the season for McGrath, ten minutes after coming off the bench.

He didn't score in his first eleven games of the season so he actually has 16 in his last 32 games.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:45pm
McGrath, McCarthy and Doyle-Hayes all starting for St Mirren in the Scottish Cup semi final at 2pm. It's on BBC1 Scotland which should be available to anyone with a Sky or Freesat box.

Date Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:35pm
Shaughnessy also in the St Mirren team.

-------------

Posted By: Left foot
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:10pm
Gets another goal today 

Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:23pm
Has to be in the next squad. His form deserves it and Kenny knows him only too well. No brainer.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:33pm
Have seen very little of him. Who would he be comparable to? What are his main strengths?

Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Have seen very little of him. Who would he be comparable to? What are his main strengths?

Never watched a LOI game from 2014-2019?? Shame on you. Shame on all of you LOL

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:47pm
Best comparison would probably be Conor Hourihane. Excellent set piece taker, great crosser of a ball but tends to go missing a bit in open play. In the Scottish Cup semi final at the weekend he was invisible for much of the game but then popped up with a great ball in for Conor McCarthy to score. Similar to Hourihane he'd be best used in a midfield three with two more defensive midfielders doing the more physical stuff for him.

Well worth a look though if more senior players pull out of the June camp.

Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:56pm

Best comparison would probably be Conor Hourihane. Excellent set piece taker, great crosser of a ball but tends to go missing a bit in open play. In the Scottish Cup semi final at the weekend he was invisible for much of the game but then popped up with a great ball in for Conor McCarthy to score. Similar to Hourihane he'd be best used in a midfield three with two more defensive midfielders doing the more physical stuff for him.

Is Hourihane meant to be a good comparison? 

Any potential midfielder coming into this Ireland team, I don't need to hear the word "invisible". Enough of them. 

I won't hold my breath so. 

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:04pm

Any potential midfielder coming into this Ireland team, I don't need to hear the word "invisible". Enough of them. 

He’s an attacking midfielder in the mold of Kevin De Bruyne.

That better? 

Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

He’s an attacking midfielder in the mold of Kevin De Bruyne.

That better? 

How about an advanced mid who doesn't go missing in games and strives to be on the ball as often as possible. I'd be happy with that for starters. 

Date Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:17pm

Not saying Hourihane is a positive or a negative comparison...just that they're similar players. For a 24 year old St. Mirren player to be compared to a Premier League/Championship player is probably a compliment. But if you're expecting him to be the next Wes Hoolahan you're probably going to be disappointed.

As you say, don't hold your breath - but he's probably worth a look in an Ireland squad at some point and he will move on to a bigger club than St Mirren in time.

Date Posted: 26 May 2021 at 12:43am
Linked with Peterborough, Blackpool and Aberdeen according to this: https://www.buzz.ie/sport/kenny-give-jamie-mcgrath-danny-24182010" rel="nofollow - https://www.buzz.ie/sport/kenny-give-jamie-mcgrath-danny-24182010

Would be great if he got a Championship move.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:20am
Aberdeen sounds the best of that bunch

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:36pm
Mad stat that he's only the 2nd player from Meath to be capped at Senior level the other being Darragh Lenihan 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Mad stat that he's only the 2nd player from Meath to be capped at Senior level the other being Darragh Lenihan 
Absolutely that for a big county like Meath! Even more so is that Lenihans was only involved in friendlies too. No competitive caps I think. Nice to see McGrath get a run tonight it was well deserved.

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:42pm
Interesting stat that. 

Anyone know how many from Mayo have senior international caps?

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:48pm
Ollie Conmy was apparently the last Mayo man to win a senior cap, he won a few in the 1960s. Nothing since then, although Conor O'Malley played for Ireland in a non-cap game under O'Neill a few years ago and was in some extended squads around that time.

Kilbane of course was the "Mayoman" in the squad for a number of years, but was born in England. Cascarino was another who qualified through a Mayo connection.

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:52pm

Ollie Conmy was apparently the last Mayo man to win a senior cap, he won a few in the 1960s. Nothing since then, although Conor O'Malley played for Ireland in a non-cap game under O'Neill a few years ago and was in some extended squads around that time.

Kilbane of course was the "Mayoman" in the squad for a number of years, but was born in England. Cascarino was another who qualified through a Mayo connection.

Wow, didn't realise the Mayo representation was so low. 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:11pm
Football is a minority sport in Mayo relative to Gaelic Football. Even rugby seems to have more of a footing these days and Mayo has produced a few rugby internationals in the last 20 years. 

Noe Baba was the big hope for a long time but it didn't work out. Plays his football in the lower divisions in Germany now.

Posted By: ripbomb
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:24pm

Football is a minority sport in Mayo relative to Gaelic Football. Even rugby seems to have more of a footing these days and Mayo has produced a few rugby internationals in the last 20 years. 

Noe Baba was the big hope for a long time but it didn't work out. Plays his football in the lower divisions in Germany now.
Football in Mayo is in good health...defo way above rugby anyhow. The Mayo league had to add another division for the coming season due to the high number of teams entered and they run alongside  Gaa competitions. As for international players the county has had a good number at underage over the years especially in the girls teams.

Posted By: Donegalman
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Football in Mayo is in good health...defo way above rugby anyhow. The Mayo league had to add another division for the coming season due to the high number of teams entered and they run alongside  Gaa competitions. As for international players the county has had a good number at underage over the years especially in the girls teams.
Yeah certainly wouldn’t say that there isn’t much football in Mayo as they produce good few LOI players and seen an interesting Mayo LOI potential 11 at the start of this year.

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:15pm
Wigan have a bid turned down for Jamie McGrath; Rotherham have a bid turned down for Conor McCarthy: https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-5503988-Jul2021/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-5503988-Jul2021/ .

Wigan finished 20th in League One last season.

Pretty underwhelmed by this TBH.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Wigan have a bid turned down for Jamie McGrath; Rotherham have a bid turned down for Conor McCarthy: https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-5503988-Jul2021/" rel="nofollow - https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-5503988-Jul2021/ .

Better off staying where he is than going to Wigan anyway.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:27pm

Probably a reflection of where people view the standard of the SPL

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:41pm
I assume these are the standard of club that Goodwin was referencing in his comments about the right club and right fee for the player and club. 

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:52pm
Wigan ffs. Better off staying put for the moment

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:56pm
Not much difference in SPL / League One football wise but shows the sway the EFL teams have in signing players with the wages on offer. Even relegation fodder like Wigan can probably offer him double what hes on up there. Hopefully he is career driven rather than financially. Not that Id begrudge him for that, its a short career and they have to make the most of it but hes a fantastic player with plenty of potential and plenty of time to make it at a higher level.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Probably a reflection of where people view the standard of the SPL

I'd say every one hoped it would be an offer from a club at a higher level, even in L1, but I'd say you're right.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Green Cockade
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:17pm
League One is a decent level and significantly more lucrative if you are a player than St. Mirren in the SPL. Credit to Jim Goodwin for giving McGrath and McCarthy their chance but Wigan and Rotherham would be a step up if those moves materialise. Wigan will be better next season and Rotherham likely to bounce back to the Championship. Aberdeen are obviously a good SPL team but financially unlikely to be able to offer enough for McGrath.

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:33pm
I cant imagine Wigan who are league 1 for a few years now can offer that much more than St Mirren. Didnt they have money issues recently or almost go into administration. I kinda forget. Either way they not on PL money nowadays. Plus factor in Covid. They would hardly have money to throw around. I assume Mcgrath would be on 1000-1500 at St Mirren. Im assuming around this.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:07am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I cant imagine Wigan who are league 1 for a few years now can offer that much more than St Mirren. Didnt they have money issues recently or almost go into administration. I kinda forget. Either way they not on PL money nowadays. Plus factor in Covid. They would hardly have money to throw around. I assume Mcgrath would be on 1000-1500 at St Mirren. Im assuming around this.

According to a number of reliable online sources hes currently on £650 p/w at St Mirren.

The average weekly wage bill at Wigan at present is around £1800. There higher earners are on £3-8k p/w.

A player of his age and after the season hes just had could see him earn £1200-1500 p/w there.

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 5:51am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:42am

I'd be very surprised if he's earning over 1k a week. Probably closer to £500, the wages at the smaller SPL teams are low but it can be a good place to go to make a name for yourself, small squads and plenty of first team opportunities. Plus the chance to play at great stadiums like Celtic Park, Ibrox, Easter Road and potentially Hampden.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 7:14am

I'd be very surprised if he's earning over 1k a week. Probably closer to £500, the wages at the smaller SPL teams are low but it can be a good place to go to make a name for yourself, small squads and plenty of first team opportunities. Plus the chance to play at great stadiums like Celtic Park, Ibrox, Easter Road and potentially Hampden.
He would’ve been on more than £500 with Dundalk 

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:25am
Probably, but St Mirren would still have been a worthwhile move for him in terms of putting himself in the shop window.

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:44am
I would be surprised if there wasn’t higher “ranked” clubs more so pushing up League 1 interested in him. Wigan would be able to offer him more money then St Mirren for all St Mirren are probably a bottom 6-10 League 1 team the standard isn’t too far removed. 

I would also say if McGrath was to back up at a League 1 club what he did at St Mirren he might find himself in line for another transfer after a year or two. 

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:15am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 8:53pm
Linked with Watford: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7475137/st-mirren-mcgrath-watford-transfer-aberdeen-ferguson/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7475137/st-mirren-mcgrath-watford-transfer-aberdeen-ferguson/ .

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:05pm

Linked with Watford: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7475137/st-mirren-mcgrath-watford-transfer-aberdeen-ferguson/" rel="nofollow - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7475137/st-mirren-mcgrath-watford-transfer-aberdeen-ferguson/ .

The lads who were hoping for better interest then Wigan will be happy anyways. 

Interesting Watford have been linked with Lewis Ferguson at Aberdeen also a similar type player. Wonder will they sign one of them. I suspect 750k plus a selling on fee would have McGrath sealed and he only a year left on his contract.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:21pm
Who knows if there is any real truth in it but realistically he would not see any gametime at Watford. I would say there is zero chance this would happen. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:44am
He'd be better off going to Wigan being honest, at least he'd get game time there. He's not ready for the EPL at this point.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 2:49pm
Starts their first game of the season again Dundee anyway.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 4:27pm
Scored a pen.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:23am
Sounds like there's a reasonable chance he'll be moving club today - linked to Aberdeen and Middlesbrough. Presumably he's in Portugal at the moment, hopefully any move doesn't require him to leave the Ireland camp.

As a general point it's bad enough that they've squashed the international window into these three game blocks with no real preparation time, without having the transfer deadline right in the middle of the international break as well.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:58am
Would rather he went to Aberdeen than Boro Dead

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 3:57pm
Decent compilation on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/xdmugvf-M6k" rel="nofollow - https://youtu.be/xdmugvf-M6k

Looks bigger than 5’ 9”. Quite physical for a creative player

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 4:09pm
A move to Middlesbrough would be a massive opportunity for him if it does come off. A club that is being rebuilt this season and a manager with a terrific record of getting teams promoted to the PL. A life changer financially too compared with what Aberdeen could offer.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

A move to Middlesbrough would be a massive opportunity for him if it does come off. A club that is being rebuilt this season and a manager with a terrific record of getting teams promoted to the PL. A life changer financially too compared with what Aberdeen could offer.

If you had to pick what I'd call a top 10 Championship club for Mcgrath you would go Middleborough arguably! They are not exactly littered with midfielders and creative ones in particular so hopefully will be playing regularly.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 7:13am
The Middlesbrough deal fell through around 11pm. There was then a late deal agreed with Hibs involving cash and two players going the other way just before the Scottish transfer window closed at midnight but it seems the paperwork didn't go through in time and he remains a St Mirren player. 

Will have been a strange night for him out in Portugal with all that going on.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 9:36am
Tough luck on McGrath but his contract is up next summer so he could move for nothing then or for something in the January window, provided he keeps delivering the way he has been.

Posted By: Eoink21
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:44am

The Middlesbrough deal fell through around 11pm. There was then a late deal agreed with Hibs involving cash and two players going the other way just before the Scottish transfer window closed at midnight but it seems the paperwork didn't go through in time and he remains a St Mirren player. 

Better off holding on where he is and being the main man for half a season than moving to Hibs and having to re-establish himself and he still would need another move to get to a level equivalent of the Championship. 

A real pity he didn't get to Boro but onus on him to put in a good shift for the first half of the season and get a good move. 

Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Better off holding on where he is and being the main man for half a season than moving to Hibs and having to re-establish himself and he still would need another move to get to a level equivalent of the Championship. 

A real pity he didn't get to Boro but onus on him to put in a good shift for the first half of the season and get a good move. 

It's also good for Ronan. If he's still viewed as a starter it should be a midfield three of him, Power, and McGrath.

Rather than coming in and replacing Jamie McGrath, he'll probably be playing deeper alongside Alan Power whose vastly experienced.

If McGrath moves on in Jan then they can either move Ronan higher up the pitch and bring in someone to play deeper, or try bring someone in to replace McGrath if Ronan is playing well deeper.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

It's also good for Ronan. If he's still viewed as a starter it should be a midfield three of him, Power, and McGrath.

Rather than coming in and replacing Jamie McGrath, he'll probably be playing deeper alongside Alan Power whose vastly experienced.

If McGrath moves on in Jan then they can either move Ronan higher up the pitch and bring in someone to play deeper, or try bring someone in to replace McGrath if Ronan is playing well deeper.

Nicely put. I think Ronan's arrival might help him. McGrath receives a fair bit of attention from the opposition and the presence of another creative player might remove some of that.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:41pm
Didn't look overawed at all. Pity he didn't get a move to Middlesbrough. Though it might be a saving grace the move to Hibernian fell through.

-------------

Posted By: greenshoots
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:48pm
He played very well, I've seen nothing of him so far and for a guy starting for the first time, he was excellent. Normal consensus is that it takes 10 games or so to adapt to international football. He's a very welcome addition to our midfield options from now on. Be great to see him get a move to a bigger club off the back of some good international performances over the next few months.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:07am
I think we might have found the #10 we've been crying out for.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:17am
I liked Mcgrath tonight played well kept the ball efficiently. Be very interesting to see can he back it up against Azerbaijan now I'm guessing he will start. 

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:41am
Hope he's fit to start Tuesday. Looked good Thumbs Up

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

He played very well, I've seen nothing of him so far and for a guy starting for the first time, he was excellent. Normal consensus is that it takes 10 games or so to adapt to international football. He's a very welcome addition to our midfield options from now on. Be great to see him get a move to a bigger club off the back of some good international performances over the next few months.
Out of contract at end of the season and will move then. Was due to go to Boro  and then Hibs on deadline day but both deals fell through. Boro a better option than Hibs no doubt.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:23am
Was very impressed with him, seemed to always pick the right pass on the break to set Idah or Connolly free.

He also appears to be quite athletic and energetic which compliments Josh Cullen nicely in the middle.

Last night was a huge step up in standard compared to what he is used to, but if he can adapt to Championship football (when he moves) as easily then there's no reason why he can't impress at that level and beyond.

Fair play to Kenny for selecting him, O'Neill, Mick, Trap etc would never opt for such a wildcard selection.

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Was very impressed with him, seemed to always pick the right pass on the break to set Idah or Connolly free.

He also appears to be quite athletic and energetic which compliments Josh Cullen nicely in the middle.

Last night was a huge step up in standard compared to what he is used to, but if he can adapt to Championship football (when he moves) as easily then there's no reason why he can't impress at that level and beyond.

Fair play to Kenny for selecting him, O'Neill, Mick, Trap etc would never opt for such a wildcard selection.

Nail on the head, and we'll see the benefits of selections like that sooner than later. 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:45am
McGrath is like we've signed a new player in a position where we've been screaming out for a player for ages.
He can take the ball in tight positions, turns, picks passes and gets tackles in with a good work-rate.

I am sure his limitations will be found out as the level he's playing at is not by accident but as has been said on many an occasion, we don't play a Portugal every day in the Internatinal arena.  I hope he starts again on Saturday in a game where we can show his more creative side.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:51am
Really impressed with McGrath. Doubt he'll be with St Mirren much longer. Championship would be a great move for him. 

1st player from Meath to play a competitive game for Ireland. Some stat  

-------------

Posted By: B6 6HE
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:54am

Hes like a new Wes but with more legs.

Always rated him.at Dundalk but I'm surprised he has transitioned so quickly.

It shows the advantage of playing every week

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Really impressed with McGrath. Doubt he'll be with St Mirren much longer. Championship would be a great move for him. 

1st player from Meath to play a competitive game for Ireland. Some stat  

Jamie was quality last night.

Hibs tried to sign him before the recent transfer window shut. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:25pm

Didn't look overawed at all. Pity he didn't get a move to Middlesbrough. Though it might be a saving grace the move to Hibernian fell through.

Think the fact he didn't get the move this window could work out better. If he can build on his performance last night for us he could have more teams in for him, and gives him a better chance to see how those teams are performing mid way through the season.

Also with Ronan now at St Mirren he'll play deeper with McGrath as the 10, and possibly replace McGrath if he moves in Jan.

Was still playing LOI this time two years ago and already looks a better option at international level than Hourihane whose played over 150 games at the top two levels in England.

Let's hope Scales can have the same impact at Celtic that McGrath has had since moving to Scotland. Could be the long term option at LWB we need.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm
Celtic is a whole different prospect in terms of game time. I'd much rather have seen Scales go to St Mirren to be honest. I know that was impossible given the fee associated with his transfer, but in terms of his own prospects a St Mirren would have been a great next step.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:52pm

Celtic is a whole different prospect in terms of game time. I'd much rather have seen Scales go to St Mirren to be honest. I know that was impossible given the fee associated with his transfer, but in terms of his own prospects a St Mirren would have been a great next step.

I'd agree with you if Celtic was well stocked at LB. Fans have been very critical with Taylor, and Montgomery seems to be back up to him who only has 221mins of senior football.

Think Scales has a good chance of establishing himself as their first choice left back.

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:04am
If there is a thread somewhere else on him (I couldn't find one), just lock this one lads. But for me he has been a great find and an excellent addition to the squad. Good on the ball, works hard and not afraid to take on people. If he keeps developing I cant see him with St Mirren for to much longer.

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:09am
one of the first names on the team sheet in the current system in my view.  We can’t play two wingers as well as two wing backs so we need someone who will come inside and join in and make it a 3 at times in the middle.  McGrath and Knight seem ideal fits for one of those roles. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net