FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James McClean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 465>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Garak Garak wrote:

Green wasn't thrown in at the deep end really, I remember him playing in the 2010 friendly at the RDS, Algeria I think.

Edit: Yeah Algeria, he scored in that game!
green was at least 26 aswell
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Sponsored Links

Garak View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:23pm
Green wasn't thrown in at the deep end really, I remember him playing in the 2010 friendly at the RDS, Algeria I think.

Edit: Yeah Algeria, he scored in that game!

Edited by Garak - 12 Feb 2012 at 10:25pm
IamGod View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Even if he's not going to the Europeans, friendlys are a prime chance for him to be blooded in without to do well when the real pressure is on. The next time he gets a call up he might have to play and be thrown in the deep end. Makes no sense to me.

In fairness that's not Trapattoni's style at all , he wouldn't throw an inexperienced player like McClean in the deep end.

Paul Green?
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Even if he's not going to the Europeans, friendlys are a prime chance for him to be blooded in without to do well when the real pressure is on. The next time he gets a call up he might have to play and be thrown in the deep end. Makes no sense to me.

In fairness that's not Trapattoni's style at all , he wouldn't throw an inexperienced player like McClean in the deep end.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 7:31pm
Absolutely Use View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absolutely Use Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by HgRx HgRx wrote:

Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I agree with John Giles

What did he actually say?

He said that it would be no harm to bring him in. He'd earned a call up, and it would make sense to have him get to know the set up, get to know the team, and just to have the extra option in case of injuries further down the line.
I'll second that
Say nothing till you hear more
HgRx View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HgRx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

I agree with John Giles

He said that it would be no harm to bring him in. He'd earned a call up, and it would make sense to have him get to know the set up, get to know the team, and just to have the extra option in case of injuries further down the line.
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:10pm
I've seen him play in the flesh and he had very little impact in the game, his progress has been remarkable at sunderland imo
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:26am

I agree with John Giles

It's Jack Shat
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:15am
I agree with John Giles
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

It's funny the way the game has changed. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see McClean in the squad, I watched him the last few years in the LOI and he always stood out for me, more so than the likes of Doyle, Long, Ward, etc ever did (Fahey always looked class to me despite playing fora rival, moreso than the others).  But I can remember when it took more than under a dozen games to be a shoo in for an international squad.  I remember Tommy Gaynor coming through the ranks at Forest and running amok, banging in goals from midfield, winning the League Cup in 89 and looking like the next big thing in a huge way.  Yet there was no clamour to put him in the squad, under Jack the feeling was that if you did it for a couple of seasons consistently then you deserve your call up.  Tommy Gaynor played around 50 odd games for Forest and faded, I remember another Irish player coming through at Forest about a year later and wondering if he'd be as good as Gaynor had been.  Took him a while to make the squad and all.

It's impossible to judge a player with as little experience as McClean has.  I'd have him in the squad myself but I see where Trap is coming from, he's old school.  Have to say, a lot of posters here don't seem to understand how football works or how old school football worked, it's all if a player has a decent couple of games then pick him as ASAP.  It don't work like that.

Personally I think McCkean is a serious talent but I base that on having seen him play for Derry on numerous occasions.  Most of those getting thick because he's not been picked have probably never seen him play in the flesh....
Someone get this man a reward! What the hell has that got to do with anything?

What does watching an entire game have to do with making an opion on a player rather than watching MOTD or the goals on Sky Sports News?

I seen every minute of McLeans Sunderland career to date and I can tell you he as done enough to earn a call up for the Friendly. 

It's Jack Shat
SteviesGranny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteviesGranny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 1:31am
Is this the quickest a player has got to 50 pages on YBIG?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:53am

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It's funny the way the game has changed. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see McClean in the squad, I watched him the last few years in the LOI and he always stood out for me, more so than the likes of Doyle, Long, Ward, etc ever did (Fahey always looked class to me despite playing fora rival, moreso than the others).  But I can remember when it took more than under a dozen games to be a shoo in for an international squad.  I remember Tommy Gaynor coming through the ranks at Forest and running amok, banging in goals from midfield, winning the League Cup in 89 and looking like the next big thing in a huge way.  Yet there was no clamour to put him in the squad, under Jack the feeling was that if you did it for a couple of seasons consistently then you deserve your call up.  Tommy Gaynor played around 50 odd games for Forest and faded, I remember another Irish player coming through at Forest about a year later and wondering if he'd be as good as Gaynor had been.  Took him a while to make the squad and all.

It's impossible to judge a player with as little experience as McClean has.  I'd have him in the squad myself but I see where Trap is coming from, he's old school.  Have to say, a lot of posters here don't seem to understand how football works or how old school football worked, it's all if a player has a decent couple of games then pick him as ASAP.  It don't work like that.

Personally I think McCkean is a serious talent but I base that on having seen him play for Derry on numerous occasions.  Most of those getting thick because he's not been picked have probably never seen him play in the flesh....

What does watching an entire game have to do with making an opion on a player rather than watching MOTD or the goals on Sky Sports News?

Some people are so good at being armchair supporters that all they need to do to decide whether a player is good enough is to watch the highlights on tv.

Only the regular supporters at the SOL really know how much of an impact this lad is having in a match. If someone says just look at the number of goals he scored then they are a gobsh*te...Aaron Ramsey scores more than his fair share of goals for Arsenal but his performances overall are woeful...and I've see him play in the flesh regularly!!! 

who needs to go to a game to evaluate a player when you have SSN eh?
I never said anything about how many goals he scored, I think the boy is quality. I havent seen him in the flesh but watched the last 4 or 5 sunderland games in full, was especially impressed with his workrate. Hes gonna be quality no doubt but to say you cant judge him without having been a die hard derry fan following them home and away is sh*te

Watching a full game on tv only gives you an indication of how good a player is. You have no idea of the players movement when they're not in shot and thats most of the time.

I'm not saying he's not good enough and the important thing you said there was "gonna" be quality. "Gonna" be quality for 2014 qualifying hopefully! He just has to perform at the top level for a lot longer and PROVE that he deserves a call up when the next qualifiers come around at the end of the year. He's only played 9 matches in the premier league ffs. Raw talent or not if Trap picked him and he was a flop in Poland then everyone would take Trap to the cleaners and rightly so...and imagine how bitter the player who lost his place to McLean would be after giving his all in qualifying only to lose hiis place to a youngster with a handful of senior games played.

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:41am

Some people are so good at being armchair supporters that all they need to do to decide whether a player is good enough is to watch the highlights on tv.

Only the regular supporters at the SOL really know how much of an impact this lad is having in a match. If someone says just look at the number of goals he scored then they are a gobsh*te...Aaron Ramsey scores more than his fair share of goals for Arsenal but his performances overall are woeful...and I've see him play in the flesh regularly!!! 

I never said anything about how many goals he scored, I think the boy is quality. I havent seen him in the flesh but watched the last 4 or 5 sunderland games in full, was especially impressed with his workrate. Hes gonna be quality no doubt but to say you cant judge him without having been a die hard derry fan following them home and away is sh*te

Sorry, is that what I said?
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:39am
I've seen him play in the flesh a few times. I've seen him destroy teams. He's a raw talent.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:37am

Here we go again
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:29am

Edited by colemanY2K - 12 Feb 2012 at 12:31am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 12:16am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 414415416417418 465>
  Share Topic