You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 200>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 10:36am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Mick Wallace and Claire Daly speaking at an event called 'No To NATO - No To War' in London this weekend alongside the likes of George Galloway and Chris Williamson. You just have to put your head in your hands and wince.

I'd be interested to know what old Gallers makes of Vlad's speech today. A year after claiming that Russia wouldn't invade. Probably just on another blocking spree.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 4:47pm
http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1628369404978159617?s=20

There's a video on Gavin Reilly's twitter page where the government forgot to oppose a bill and them argued with the Ceann Comhairle about it.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:19am
New leader for the SD’s. Very little fanfare around the whole thing. A party that, to me has been a serious disappointment and a wasted opportunity. They sit between the pragmatic left of Labour, and the jokeshop PBP (and alphabet soup left), and seem to see social media as a compass for Irish politics. 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:22am

New leader for the SD’s. Very little fanfare around the whole thing. A party that, to me has been a serious disappointment and a wasted opportunity. They sit between the pragmatic left of Labour, and the jokeshop PBP (and alphabet soup left), and seem to see social media as a compass for Irish politics. 

"Pragmatic"LOL

Complete sell outs you mean. I say this as an ex member.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:31am
I think Labour made a mistake in their rhetoric in 2010 and 2011 which probably should have been tempered by the fact that the Troika had arrived in Ireland and had implemented the economic correction plan, in advance. Labour would have still made the massive gains they did (or something approximating them). Labour were unlucky enough to walk into government at a time when Ireland’s economy was on its knees and the gift of full implementation of their ideas was out of their hands.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:39am

I think Labour made a mistake in their rhetoric in 2010 and 2011 which probably should have been tempered by the fact that the Troika had arrived in Ireland and had implemented the economic correction plan, in advance. Labour would have still made the massive gains they did (or something approximating them). Labour were unlucky enough to walk into government at a time when Ireland’s economy was on its knees and the gift of full implementation of their ideas was out of their hands.

They should have hung the Dail and forced another election where they would have won more seats. Or at a minimum confidence and supply. The front bench were too preoccupied with ministerial pensions.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

They should have hung the Dail and forced another election where they would have won more seats. Or at a minimum confidence and supply. The front bench were too preoccupied with ministerial pensions.

That may have worked. But it wouldn't have made them the majority party, and a confidence and supply would have undoubtedly become, effectively, a coalition.

My frustration with the Irish left is that they are only seen as effective when not in government. Hence, I respect the likes of the Greens and Labour for entering Government with a view to progressing their platform. This is at odds with the likes of the SD's who seem to be a refuge for the Labour voters who traditionally prefer the party in opposition, or PBP who actively want to be the opposition. But, the remarkable thing is that it is possible in the next election that SF will hoover up the perma-opposition seats, and they will be reduced to a few seats, or less between them.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 10:13am
Labour are essentially only electable in middle class constituencies. They are the definition of centrists.

I think there is momentum for a non fg/FF coalition after the next election, but will fall short on numbers, just.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 10:33am

Labour are essentially only electable in middle class constituencies. They are the definition of centrists.

I think there is momentum for a non fg/FF coalition after the next election, but will fall short on numbers, just.

SF will need to pick off FG and FF seats (which I think they will do, at least on a limited basis) in order to set up a Government. Any coalition would needs the likes of the SD's to hold their noses, and go into Government. My hope is that PBP is totally wiped out, but even if they get only a seat or two there is no way they would join Government.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 12:33pm

Best wishes. 

She was a big advocate of zero covid.......
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 7:55pm
Bertie the Doctor of philosophy!😂😂
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 8:01pm

didn't the SDs also have one of them coming about with a few fairly dodgy comments about Africans in her town and then the councillor in Galway who they quickly washed their hands of when he was being investigated by the Gards for allegedly grooming a minor LOL

Edited by dangere_here - 02 Mar 2023 at 8:01pm
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 10:40pm

It'll probably be SF and FF.  The others won't win enough.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 10:24pm
last 4 FG posts on Twitter are calling out SF. Just makes them sound childish and obsessed
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

last 4 FG posts on Twitter are calling out SF. Just makes them sound childish and obsessed
Won’t be too long before Austin Stack and the Quinn family are rolled out again.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Won’t be too long before Austin Stack and the Quinn family are rolled out again.

Stack is firmly back in his box after making a number of false allegations against people. 

He is one of the most deluded and manipulated person I have ever come across.

A complete simpleton.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 12:44pm

This nonsense again.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 12:53pm

This nonsense again.

What's nonsense about it?

That's exactly what they have been doing - using the victims families for political point scoring.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 200>
  Share Topic