You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U17s - Euro 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ireland U17s - Euro 2017
    Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:44pm

REPORT: U17s hit five in victory over Andorra

The Republic of Ireland Under 17s got their UEFA European Championship qualifying campaign off to the ideal start with a 5-1 triumph over Andorra in Estadi Comunal.
15th Oct 2016

A goal from Rowan Roache put Ireland ahead going into the break and they shifted up a level in the second period with Roache again scoring alongside Dominic Peppard, Adam Idah and Aaron Connolly.

Colin O'Brien had hoped to keep his team's focus steady going into the first game of a tricky Group 2, which also contains Greece and Kazakhstan, because any slip-up could prove costly.

The aim is to make it out of this Qualifying Round and secure passage through to the Elite Round, where the group winners will progress to the finals tournament in Croatia. First things first though, they needed to win.

Roache, who plays his club football with Blackpool, kept his nerve on 37 minutes to fire Ireland into the lead. Slick passing, clever movement and patience all contributed to that opening goal.

O'Brien's team continued to use the ball well in the second half, but they were even more powerful when surging forward and the next goal arrived on 53 minutes courtesy of Peppard.

The goals started to flow in after that with Roache, Idah and substitute Connolly all scoring, while Joan Torres Vila headed in from close range for the visitors. Overall, Ireland hit the target nine times from 15 attempts and netted five goals to secure the three points.

Next up for Ireland is a clash with Kazakhstan on Monday,October 17, before they meet Greece in their final Group 2 game on Thursday, October 20.

Andorra: Iker; Torres Vila, Moral Soler, Guillen Garcia, Acosta Farre; Vales Ramos, Magalhaes Fernandes (Martinez Jimenez 48); Pubill Dos Santos, Oliveria Araujo (Almeida Djeck 61), Bazan Navarro (Fernandez Vieitez 65); Antunes Da Silva.

Republic of Ireland: Maher; L O'Connor, Ledwidge, Lee, Peppard; Coventry, Bolger; Nolan (Kilkenny 65), Roache, Thompson; Idah (Connolly 69).

Referee: Alain Durieux (LUX).

Edited by Double Maxim - 30 Oct 2016 at 9:23am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 8:03pm
U17s next match is live on the FAi web site 11.30 am tomorrow.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:09pm
Job done 3-1 win v Kazakhstan.  Barring mathematical miracles this means qualification for the next phase.

Kazakhstan finished with 9 men.     
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:14pm
good stuff.Clap any cork based ybiggers know much about adam idah. seems to score lot of goals at various under age levels.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Job done 3-1 win v Kazakhstan.  Barring mathematical miracles this means qualification for the next phase.

Kazakhstan finished with 9 men.     
TheCoach View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

good stuff.Clap any cork based ybiggers know much about adam idah. seems to score lot of goals at various under age levels.

Top quality striker that played schoolboy football with College Corintians and is due to sign for Nowich once he turns 16. He is one of a number of players playing a year up in age. I have worked with Nathan Collins who played centre back today, he will move to Stoke once he's of the age. Top, top prospect!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm
Greece defeated Andorra this afternoon thus confirming our place in the next phase.  

Furthermore a draw v Greece on Thursday will now mean we top the group on goal difference (a win will obviously also do).  This should help with seeding for the next phase.   
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:51pm

Whats this lads story ? Idah isnt an Irish name. English born or from an immigrant family I'm guessing. Quick Youtube and I see he's a tall black lad. He looks decent from the couple of goals I saw
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Whats this lads story ? Idah isnt an Irish name. English born or from an immigrant family I'm guessing. Quick Youtube and I see he's a tall black lad. He looks decent from the couple of goals I saw
Probably from a Nigerian background, so 'Nigerian diaspora' according to some on here's perception of national identity.
He seems to be the most influential player in this age group based on reports I've read which is all the more remarkable considering he's actually still part of the under-15 age group as are a few of the kids in this squad so I'm sure he'll end up at one of the bigger Prem clubs academies next season, not that that's necessarily a good thing.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm
Well, a win could have Ireland seeded as top seeds. That would be handy. One goal win puts us sixth, two goal win puts us fifth. The top seven (plus Germany) get top seeding, although there are still six first round groups that haven't even started yet.

A two or three goal win is the very best we could hope for over Greece.
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Cork born and bred. Plays GAA also.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
Watching a bit of the second half on YouTube and the boys are 1-0 up against Greece. Lee O'Connor is the standout player in the group, and he seems to be the go-to man in a tight spot. Idah hasn't seen much of the ball, but they look to use his height and size to hold up the ball and get us up the pitch. We can mix it up, though. Some good passing in the middle third.

Don't see much at this age group but it's a remarkably open game. Lots of chances at both ends.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:36pm
Lee O'Connor's a top player - tough and a great reader of the game. Saw him a few times for the U15's & 16's. Think he's moved over to Utd now
Some people just deserve a slap
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:46pm
Won 1-0 to top the group.  Missed a penalty in the 5th minute of added time hope it doesn't cost us a top seed.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Lee O'Connor's a top player - tough and a great reader of the game. Saw him a few times for the U15's & 16's. Think he's moved over to Utd now

He's a cut above the rest, for sure. Hopefully he can keep developing at a good rate
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He's a cut above the rest, for sure. Hopefully he can keep developing at a good rate

And he's a left back!!!!!!
Hi Lads
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
To settle an argument is Keith Andrews involved with the U17 coaching set up?
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

And he's a left back!!!!!!
Have seen him play right back, centre back and centre mid too & was more than comfortable in each one
Some people just deserve a slap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic