URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=54584
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ireland U17s - Euro 2017
Posted By: Double Maxim
Subject: Ireland U17s - Euro 2017
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:44pm

REPORT: U17s hit five in victory over Andorra

The Republic of Ireland Under 17s got their UEFA European Championship qualifying campaign off to the ideal start with a 5-1 triumph over Andorra in Estadi Comunal.
15th Oct 2016

A goal from Rowan Roache put Ireland ahead going into the break and they shifted up a level in the second period with Roache again scoring alongside Dominic Peppard, Adam Idah and Aaron Connolly.

Colin O'Brien had hoped to keep his team's focus steady going into the first game of a tricky Group 2, which also contains Greece and Kazakhstan, because any slip-up could prove costly.

The aim is to make it out of this Qualifying Round and secure passage through to the Elite Round, where the group winners will progress to the finals tournament in Croatia. First things first though, they needed to win.

Roache, who plays his club football with Blackpool, kept his nerve on 37 minutes to fire Ireland into the lead. Slick passing, clever movement and patience all contributed to that opening goal.

O'Brien's team continued to use the ball well in the second half, but they were even more powerful when surging forward and the next goal arrived on 53 minutes courtesy of Peppard.

The goals started to flow in after that with Roache, Idah and substitute Connolly all scoring, while Joan Torres Vila headed in from close range for the visitors. Overall, Ireland hit the target nine times from 15 attempts and netted five goals to secure the three points.

Next up for Ireland is a clash with Kazakhstan on Monday,October 17, before they meet Greece in their final Group 2 game on Thursday, October 20.

Andorra: Iker; Torres Vila, Moral Soler, Guillen Garcia, Acosta Farre; Vales Ramos, Magalhaes Fernandes (Martinez Jimenez 48); Pubill Dos Santos, Oliveria Araujo (Almeida Djeck 61), Bazan Navarro (Fernandez Vieitez 65); Antunes Da Silva.

Republic of Ireland: Maher; L O'Connor, Ledwidge, Lee, Peppard; Coventry, Bolger; Nolan (Kilkenny 65), Roache, Thompson; Idah (Connolly 69).

Referee: Alain Durieux (LUX).

https://www.facebook.com/FAIreland-239295259422561/" rel="nofollow - - http://twitter.com/faireland" rel="nofollow - -  

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Replies:
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 8:03pm
U17s next match is live on the FAi web site 11.30 am tomorrow.

-------------

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:09pm
Job done 3-1 win v Kazakhstan.  Barring mathematical miracles this means qualification for the next phase.

Kazakhstan finished with 9 men.     

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:14pm
good stuff.Clap any cork based ybiggers know much about adam idah. seems to score lot of goals at various under age levels.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Job done 3-1 win v Kazakhstan.  Barring mathematical miracles this means qualification for the next phase.

Kazakhstan finished with 9 men.     

-------------

Posted By: TheCoach
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

good stuff.Clap any cork based ybiggers know much about adam idah. seems to score lot of goals at various under age levels.

Top quality striker that played schoolboy football with College Corintians and is due to sign for Nowich once he turns 16. He is one of a number of players playing a year up in age. I have worked with Nathan Collins who played centre back today, he will move to Stoke once he's of the age. Top, top prospect!

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm
Greece defeated Andorra this afternoon thus confirming our place in the next phase.  

Furthermore a draw v Greece on Thursday will now mean we top the group on goal difference (a win will obviously also do).  This should help with seeding for the next phase.   

Posted By: schillaci
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:51pm

Whats this lads story ? Idah isnt an Irish name. English born or from an immigrant family I'm guessing. Quick Youtube and I see he's a tall black lad. He looks decent from the couple of goals I saw

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Whats this lads story ? Idah isnt an Irish name. English born or from an immigrant family I'm guessing. Quick Youtube and I see he's a tall black lad. He looks decent from the couple of goals I saw
Probably from a Nigerian background, so 'Nigerian diaspora' according to some on here's perception of national identity.
He seems to be the most influential player in this age group based on reports I've read which is all the more remarkable considering he's actually still part of the under-15 age group as are a few of the kids in this squad so I'm sure he'll end up at one of the bigger Prem clubs academies next season, not that that's necessarily a good thing.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm
Well, a win could have Ireland seeded as top seeds. That would be handy. One goal win puts us sixth, two goal win puts us fifth. The top seven (plus Germany) get top seeding, although there are still six first round groups that haven't even started yet.

A two or three goal win is the very best we could hope for over Greece.

-------------

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Cork born and bred. Plays GAA also.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
Watching a bit of the second half on YouTube and the boys are 1-0 up against Greece. Lee O'Connor is the standout player in the group, and he seems to be the go-to man in a tight spot. Idah hasn't seen much of the ball, but they look to use his height and size to hold up the ball and get us up the pitch. We can mix it up, though. Some good passing in the middle third.

Don't see much at this age group but it's a remarkably open game. Lots of chances at both ends.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:36pm
Lee O'Connor's a top player - tough and a great reader of the game. Saw him a few times for the U15's & 16's. Think he's moved over to Utd now

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:46pm
Won 1-0 to top the group.  Missed a penalty in the 5th minute of added time hope it doesn't cost us a top seed.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Lee O'Connor's a top player - tough and a great reader of the game. Saw him a few times for the U15's & 16's. Think he's moved over to Utd now

He's a cut above the rest, for sure. Hopefully he can keep developing at a good rate

-------------

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He's a cut above the rest, for sure. Hopefully he can keep developing at a good rate

And he's a left back!!!!!!

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
To settle an argument is Keith Andrews involved with the U17 coaching set up?

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Have seen him play right back, centre back and centre mid too & was more than comfortable in each one

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 6:56pm

Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Have seen him play right back, centre back and centre mid too & was more than comfortable in each one

Apparently plays centre back for United

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 7:51pm
Through to elite phase after 1-0 win over greece. Beat andorra, Kaz and greece to top group with 100% record. Excellent stuff

Posted By: pateen
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 2:53pm
Who is the best prospects of these group  of players?

Posted By: LHurlz
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Who is the best prospects of these group  of players?
Lee O'Connor, 16 years old and has been in the man utd u23 squad.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 3:01pm
I like Luke Nolan, ex Kevin's now with Pat's I think. Good right full. Aaron Connolly too, ex Mervue now over with Brighton. Tough and strong striker/winger, great finisher. Glen McAuley's not there but he's underage too, with Liverpool. Serious prospect

-------------

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 4:00pm
Glen McAuley is the most skillfull young striker we've had come through in a long time. Brilliant they won group handy even without him who is probably the best player on the u17 panel.

Posted By: Stokes11
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 7:23pm
McCauley scored two at weekend for pool 18 s and has six for the season wonder why he didn't travel

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:14pm
I think mccauly was in the original squad. Liverpool probably pulled him out because of a niggle. he played in the last friendlies for the u17's in september.

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:39pm
Callum Thompson. Winger. Still only 15 years old, has played for the 15's,16's & 17's this year.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 3:47pm
Nice boost for our seedings chances today.  France drew 1-1 with Slovenia where a win would have put them ahead of us.  

8 of the 13 groups completed now.  we are 5th of the 8 group winners so can only afford 2 of the remaining 5 winners to pass us if we want top seeding for the Elite Phase.  Switzerland need a 4 goal win or a high scoring 3 goal win v Czech Republic to take us tomorrow.  Not sure where we stand if they win 4-1.  

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 7:34pm

Nice boost for our seedings chances today.  France drew 1-1 with Slovenia where a win would have put them ahead of us.  

8 of the 13 groups completed now.  we are 5th of the 8 group winners so can only afford 2 of the remaining 5 winners to pass us if we want top seeding for the Elite Phase.  Switzerland need a 4 goal win or a high scoring 3 goal win v Czech Republic to take us tomorrow.  Not sure where we stand if they win 4-1.  

Thanks for the heads up.
Clap

-------------

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:01pm

I think mccauly was in the original squad. Liverpool probably pulled him out because of a niggle. he played in the last friendlies for the u17's in september.
He started (and scored) for Liverpool the day after the first qualifier so was clearly fit so I'm not sure what the story was there

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:50pm
And another group gone with the right result.  Switzerland drew 3-3 with the Czechs meaning we are 5th of the 9 groups completed.  

4 to go and we can afford 2 of the 4 winners jumping us to remain top seeds.   Germany will also be top seeds having got a bye to the elite phase.  

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 10:18pm
You'd have to imagine Belgium have missed a massive chance, what with the failure to beat Gibraltar by more than a couple.

Hopefully that keeps them down, anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:40am
There's a chap Sean Brennan too, plays with Belvo. Small lad, playmaker in the middle. Still U16 but has played with the U17's too. Have only seen him play the once but really stood out

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm
4 groups left and while nothing is decided yet things are a bit clearer.

England with a 3 goal win or Austria with a 4 goal win could take us.  We need a narrow win for either side or a draw.  Both are already through. 

Cyprus shocked Belgium today so they need a 6 goal win over Gibraltar to take us.  They've already won the group. 

Italy only draw with Macedonia while Serbia beat Albania 2-0.  Serbia need a four goal win or a high scoring 3 goal win over Italy to take us. Italy need a draw to qualify so hard to see Serbia hammer them in Italy.  

England's group ends on Sunday while the other 2 finish on Monday.

The 4th group only starts on Tuesday.  

It is also likely many of these teams are not focussed on top seeding. Qualification is the key thing and giving squad members a run will be a factor in the last games.  Of course that can work for or against us.   

I appreciate the U19s are also in the Elite phase but unseeded but whatever the draw they face a big ask to reach the finals in Georgia given only 7 qualify.  15 of the 32 teams in the elite phase at U17 level will reach the finals in Croatia.  If we get top seeds we will have a great chance of making it given average luck in the draw.   

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:32pm
What is the advantage of being top seed? Next phase at home?

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 3:01pm
you don't have to play other top seeds!

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 2:45pm
England beat Austria 3-2. Thats another group thats gone our way. On the brink of being seeded now.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 2:48pm
And the England group goes our way.  They beat Austria 3-2 having trailed and led 3-1.  A 4-1 win for England would have seen them overtake us.  3 groups to go and all 3 would have to go wrong now to deny us a number 1 seed.  

It would also really help if the FAI tried to host the mini group in the elite round.    

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 4:14pm
Seeding secured today as Serbia and Cyprus both failed to overtake us.  

Top seeds in the elite phase with the 8 group winners and 7 best runners up going through.  It would really help now if the FAI tried to host the mini group.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 4:17pm

Top seeds in the elite phase with the 8 group winners and 7 best runners up going through.  It would really help now if the FAI tried to host the mini group.

Great stuff, when is the next round being drawn and played?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Great stuff, when is the next round being drawn and played?

The draw is on December 13th.  

We will be drawn in one of 8 4 team mini groups with the winners and 7 of the 8 runners up going to the finals in Croatia.  They will mainly be held in March 2017.  

We could request to host the mini group and increase our chances of qualifying.   The finals are in May 2017.  

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 9:41pm
Is there a realistic chance of the FAI doing that? Very harsh that a team will win their group and not get a chance at the finals.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 11:25pm
Nah, every group winner goes to the finals.

It's just that one of the eight runners up misses out (because there are 16 teams in the final, 8 elite qualifying groups, and 1 host who qualify automatically).

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Nah, every group winner goes to the finals.

It's just that one of the eight runners up misses out (because there are 16 teams in the final, 8 elite qualifying groups, and 1 host who qualify automatically).
Just realised now, thought it was 8 in the finals. That makes more sense alright, still hate this UEFA systems where one runner-up misses out, seems a bit unfair.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 12:53am
Yeah, it's an under 17 tournament. There's no reason why the hosts couldn't be selected after the qualification is finished. Three months should be plenty of time to arrange an under 17 tournament.... Hell, they expect fifteen of the sixteen sides to arrange the needful inside a few months, so it's not a stretch to expect one more to do the same.

Either that or have no automatic qualification for the hosts.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 5:49am

Is there a realistic chance of the FAI doing that? Very harsh that a team will win their group and not get a chance at the finals.

I'm sure JD is on the case as we speak.
Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 8:53am

Yeah, it's an under 17 tournament. There's no reason why the hosts couldn't be selected after the qualification is finished. Three months should be plenty of time to arrange an under 17 tournament.... Hell, they expect fifteen of the sixteen sides to arrange the needful inside a few months, so it's not a stretch to expect one more to do the same.

Croatia are hosting the tournament.  There is big demand to host the finals.  It would take a lot more than 3 months organisation.  

The elite round is made up of 8 4 team mini groups.  These are much easier to host.  After the draw any of the 4 teams can apply to host.  we routinely host these mini groups (just finished hosting a women's U17 in Cork which we topped).  These consist of 6 matches played over a week.  

We have drawn Poland in both of our last Elite Phase mini groups at U17 and they hosted both.  We qualified in 2015.  For the 2016 tournament Poland pipped us for 2nd place on a penalty shootout after we finsihed dead level.  They ended up as the worst runner up though and didn't make it to Azerbaijan.  We were actually out before the shootout though.

We hosted the 1994 tournament when it was U16.  The IFA hosted the U19s a few years back think it was in 2005.  They are also hosting the Women's U19s next year.     

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 7:35pm

Croatia are hosting the tournament.  There is big demand to host the finals.  It would take a lot more than 3 months organisation.  

The elite round is made up of 8 4 team mini groups.  These are much easier to host.  After the draw any of the 4 teams can apply to host.  we routinely host these mini groups (just finished hosting a women's U17 in Cork which we topped).  These consist of 6 matches played over a week.  

We have drawn Poland in both of our last Elite Phase mini groups at U17 and they hosted both.  We qualified in 2015.  For the 2016 tournament Poland pipped us for 2nd place on a penalty shootout after we finsihed dead level.  They ended up as the worst runner up though and didn't make it to Azerbaijan.  We were actually out before the shootout though.

We hosted the 1994 tournament when it was U16.  The IFA hosted the U19s a few years back think it was in 2005.  They are also hosting the Women's U19s next year.     

I remember that 94 tournament. There was a decent sized crowd at the Portugal game.

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 4:36pm
The draw for the elite round is on December 13th.  Games to be played in March.  More details here

http://www.uefa.com/under17/news/newsid=2419371.html#under+elite+round+line+confirmed" rel="nofollow - http://www.uefa.com/under17/news/newsid=2419371.html#under+elite+round+line+confirmed

Our U19 elite round draw will be made then as well as the preliminary round draws for 2017/18.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 10:37am

The draw for the elite round is on December 13th.  Games to be played in March.  More details here

http://www.uefa.com/under17/news/newsid=2419371.html#under+elite+round+line+confirmed" rel="nofollow - http://www.uefa.com/under17/news/newsid=2419371.html#under+elite+round+line+confirmed

Our U19 elite round draw will be made then as well as the preliminary round draws for 2017/18.

Thanks for the heads up.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 5:31pm
We have been selected as hosts for the 2019 UEFA U17 mens championship.

Northern Ireland will host the U19s in 2020.  

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 6:09pm
Good to see the above.

-------------

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 6:42pm
Great News about hosting another UEFA Finals.

In 2019 there is 30th Universiade in Naples Italy July 18 -30th. Hopefully an increase in University Athletes from Ireland will be able to travel.
Secondary-level students are eligible.

What is the cut-off year for Players in the UEFA U17 Finals Tournament?

If the U17 year of birth takes into account qualifying round the previous Oct/Nov 2018 it give could give an opportunity for some Players with tournament experience, also great mates with each other a chance to be picked for Napoli2019.

But DKIT and Carlow IT under-graduates with Airtricity League and Irish League experience should still be ahead of them.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

In 2019 there is 30th Universiade in Naples Italy July 18 -30th. Hopefully an increase in University Athletes from Ireland will be able to travel.

If the U17 year of birth takes into account qualifying round the previous Oct/Nov 2018 it give could give an opportunity for some Players with tournament experience, also great mates with each other a chance to be picked for Napoli2019.

But DKIT and Carlow IT under-graduates with Airtricity League and Irish League experience should still be ahead of them.

For these finals it is players born on or after Jan 1st 2000.

So for 2019 it should be those born on or after Jan 1st 2002.

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 8:47pm

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

For these finals it is players born on or after Jan 1st 2000.

So for 2019 it should be those born on or after Jan 1st 2002.

Thanks for that. It's wishing thinking on my part that there would be a Player connection between an FAI squad and an IUFU (students) squad.

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 9:45am
2018 qualifying round draw made.  we meet Ukraine, Bulgaria and Azerbaijan.  No hosts confirmed yet.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:19am
What a draw for the elite round.  Cyprus, Slovakia and the Faroe Islands.  2 teams most likely to qualify for the finals in Croatia in May.  Talk about a group of life.  It would be great if we could host the group but either way we must be favourites.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 12:10pm
Cyprus will host the u17 elite round in March 2017.  Our u17s will travel to Bulgaria for the 2018 qualifying round mini group in October.   

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 1:10pm

What a draw for the elite round.  Cyprus, Slovakia and the Faroe Islands.  2 teams most likely to qualify for the finals in Croatia in May.  Talk about a group of life.  It would be great if we could host the group but either way we must be favourites.

Briliant stuff. For an elite round draw this is quite simply unreal! Thank goodness we achieved being a top seed in the draw.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 3:11pm
We start with Faroe Islands on 15th March. Then Slovakia (3rd seeds) on 17th, and Cyprus on the 20th.

Last game is the trickiest. They have home advantage too. Hopefully we'll have 6 points by that stage.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

We start with Faroe Islands on 15th March. Then Slovakia (3rd seeds) on 17th, and Cyprus on the 20th.

Last game is the trickiest. They have home advantage too. Hopefully we'll have 6 points by that stage.

Where are the fixtures published?  I don't see them on UEFA or on the FAI site.  

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 5:04pm

I use wikipedia for these things, has never let me down. Often fixtures appear there before official confirmation.

If ur booking a trip tho u'll have to wait for uefa site as i just looked and cant find them there

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 7:38am

I use wikipedia for these things, has never let me down. Often fixtures appear there before official confirmation.

If ur booking a trip tho u'll have to wait for uefa site as i just looked and cant find them there

The dates won't change anyway.  We play play on the 15th,17th & 20th.  I'd love to know where they get the fixtures.  I know the national associations have access before they are confirmed so maybe somebody has access to the UEFA FAME system.  

Definitely tempted by the a long weekend in the sun and getting the 2nd & 3rd games in.  Cyprus seem to have played all their recent competitive underage qualifiers in Paphos.  

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:30am
Any furher news on this?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Any furher news on this?

I can't find anything.  

Still dates will be March 15th, 17th & 20th.  Paphos is a highly likely venue.  The fixtures are known but not public.  So wikipedia is probably correct or maybe just somebody guessing.  

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 2:29pm
OK with the help of google translate (my Greek is a little rusty Smile) the fixtures are on the Cypriot FA's website.  

As per the wikipedia page they are

Faroes on March 15th
Slovakia March 17th
Cyprus March 20th

All games in Paphos as expected.  The hosts will play in the Community Stadium Kouklia and the other 3 games will be in the Paphiako stadium.  

According to a betting website all games kickoff at 17.00 CET but I can't find a kickoff time on the official site.   

Anybody going?  I'm planning on doing the 2nd and 3rd games with a couple of league games (no fixtures yet) over the weekend.  I'll probably do one of possibly 2 games in the Turkish part.  Plenty of cheap flight options with Cobalt into Larnaca.  

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 5:51pm
Thanks for the heads up gspain.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:36pm
Squad named for two prep friendlies in Spain next week;

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/colin-obrien-names-u17-squad-for-training-camp" rel="nofollow - http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/colin-obrien-names-u17-squad-for-training-camp

No place for Will Smallbone and Michael Obafemi from Southampton who trained with the squad a few weeks ago.

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
Ronan Manning the brother of Ryan?

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: Dr. Pat
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 8:49pm
Yep, that's Ryan's brother.

Is Glen McCauley of Liverpool now overage?

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 8:51pm
Is Rowley at Malaga Irish born?

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Is Rowley at Malaga Irish born?
Don't think so, Irish Father and Spanish mother, had a google earlier and found this.

http://www.malagacf.com/en/news/irelands-under-16s-call-up-marcus-rowley-from-la-academia" rel="nofollow - http://www.malagacf.com/en/news/irelands-under-16s-call-up-marcus-rowley-from-la-academia

-------------

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Dr. Pat Dr. Pat wrote:

Yep, that's Ryan's brother.

Is Glen McCauley of Liverpool now overage?
McAuley still eligble, wasn't in the squad for the first round qualifiers either.Confused

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 10:15am
McAuley injured I think. Hasn't played last fee games for Liverpool.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 4:18pm
Beat Hungary 2-0 in a friendly in Spain today. Adam Idah & Luke Nolan with  the goals.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Beat Hungary 2-0 in a friendly in Spain today. Adam Idah & Luke Nolan with  the goals.

-------------

Posted By: stokeirish
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 8:58am
Adam Idah always impressive.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Whenever I see his name I think of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqW4qLcRD3w" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqW4qLcRD3w

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:46am

Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

Whenever I see his name I think of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqW4qLcRD3w" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqW4qLcRD3w

ClapBig smileClap

-------------

Posted By: DalyerRegular
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 11:12pm
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U17 SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Brian Maher (St Patrick's Athletic), Kian Clarke (Bohemians)
Defenders: Lee O’Connor (Manchester United), Kameron Ledwidge (St Kevin's Boys), Nathan Collins (Cherry Orchard), Jordan Doherty (Sheffield United), Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers), Conor Coventry (West Ham United)
Midfielders: Brandon Kavanagh (Bohemians), Rowan Roache (Blackpool), Richie O’Farrell (St Patrick's Athletic), Gavin Kilkenny (Bournemouth), Daryl Walsh (Waterford), Callum Thompson (Wolves), Luke Nolan (St Patrick's Athletic) 
Forwards: Adam Idah (Corinthians Boys), Glen McAuley (Liverpool), Aaron Connolly (Brighton)

FIXTURES 
UEFA U17 Championships Elite Qualifying Round - Group 8

Wednesday, March 15: Republic of Ireland v Faroe Islands, Paphiakos Stadium, Paphos (CYP) (12.15pm Irish Time)

Friday March 17: Republic of Ireland v Slovakia, Paphiakos Stadium, Paphos (CYP) (12.15pm Irish Time)

Monday, March 20: Cyprus v Republic of Ireland, Kouklia Community Stadium, Paphos (CYP) (12.00pm Irish Time).

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U17 SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Brian Maher (St Patrick's Athletic), Kian Clarke (Bohemians)
Defenders: Lee O’Connor (Manchester United), Kameron Ledwidge (St Kevin's Boys), Nathan Collins (Cherry Orchard), Jordan Doherty (Sheffield United), Aaron Bolger (Shamrock Rovers), Conor Coventry (West Ham United)
Midfielders: Brandon Kavanagh (Bohemians), Rowan Roache (Blackpool), Richie O’Farrell (St Patrick's Athletic), Gavin Kilkenny (Bournemouth), Daryl Walsh (Waterford), Callum Thompson (Wolves), Luke Nolan (St Patrick's Athletic) 
Forwards: Adam Idah (Corinthians Boys), Glen McAuley (Liverpool), Aaron Connolly (Brighton)

FIXTURES 
UEFA U17 Championships Elite Qualifying Round - Group 8

Wednesday, March 15: Republic of Ireland v Faroe Islands, Paphiakos Stadium, Paphos (CYP) (12.15pm Irish Time)

Friday March 17: Republic of Ireland v Slovakia, Paphiakos Stadium, Paphos (CYP) (12.15pm Irish Time)

Monday, March 20: Cyprus v Republic of Ireland, Kouklia Community Stadium, Paphos (CYP) (12.00pm Irish Time).

Thanks for the heads up.
Cool

-------------

Posted By: deise
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:48am
Just looking at the squad notice 3 of the home base players are not playing League of Ireland, 1 with Kevins
I with Cherry Orchard and 1 with Corinthians are these a Cork club ? Anyone know why these lads not playing with LOI clubs in Dublin or why Idah not playing with Cork City ???.

-------------
bla bla bla

Posted By: killer kilbane
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:46pm
Corinthians are a cork club. Although I had thought Idah had signed for Norwich

-------------
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there

Posted By: Podge-SFC
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by deise deise wrote:

Just looking at the squad notice 3 of the home base players are not playing League of Ireland, 1 with Kevins
I with Cherry Orchard and 1 with Corinthians are these a Cork club ? Anyone know why these lads not playing with LOI clubs in Dublin or why Idah not playing with Cork City ???.

While they are officially named as still playing with DDSL clubs they are all on the books with English clubs which can't be made official until they turn 16. Idah ( Norwich ), Ledwidge (Southampton) and Nathan Collins (Stoke)

Posted By: deise
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:05am
deise] Just looking at the squad notice 3 of the home base players are not playing League of Ireland, 1 with Kevins
I with Cherry Orchard and 1 with Corinthians are these a Cork club ? Anyone know why these lads not playing with LOI clubs in Dublin or why Idah not playing with Cork City 

While they are officially named as still playing with DDSL clubs they are all on the books with English clubs which can't be made official until they turn 16. Idah ( Norwich ), Ledwidge (Southampton) and Nathan Collins (Stoke)

Thanks Podge thought it strange they're still playing with local clubs.

-------------
bla bla bla

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:05pm
Currently lead Faroe Islands 2-0. Who else but Aaron Connolly with the two goals

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

Currently lead Faroe Islands 2-0. Who else but Aaron Connolly with the two goals

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:21pm
4-0 up now Idah and Doherty with the 3rd and 4th.  Slovakia lead Cyprus 2-0 in the other game.

Our u17 women are scoreless with Scotland after 63 minutes.  Still in with a great shout of qualifying too.  A draw and a win over Hungary would do or a win today would leave us only needing a draw v Hungary.    

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:44pm
The women drew 0-0 so need to beat Hungary to qualify.  No real chance of best runner up with a draw.  A score draw gives Hungary the group.  Scotland need us and Hungary to draw 0-0 and them to beat Serbia by better than 1-0.

Still 4-0 for the u17 men but Cyprus got a goal back and now trail 2-1.  

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 3:02pm
Finished 4-0. Great result.

-------------

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 4:13pm
Is this the elite stage and if so how did Faroe Island get there?

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Edit - G.Spain has it down to a tee Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Yes it is the Elite Stage.  The Faroes beat the Czechs 2-0 and drew with Luxembourg.  It was enough to get through. 

We have a great draw.  Now just to take advantage.   Slovakia were hammered 6-0 in qualifying by Spain and just got past Northern Ireland 4-3. I was a bit surprised they won today as Cyprus had been perfect in qualifying including a win over Belgium.  The Greek team we beat in qualifying beat Spain on Sunday.  

7 of the 8 runners up go through as well.  One more win might be enough and 4 points will certainly ensure qualification (barring mathematical miracles).    

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 6:37pm
A good day for our u17s just got a whole lot better.

Group 3 finished today with perfect results for us.  Portugal are runners up with only 1 point v the top 2 sides and a GD of -2 (3-5).

This means 2 draws will certainly do now for qualification. We could still miss out though with a win on Friday and a defeat on Monday.   

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:03am
Who do we play tomorrow?

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:46pm
Slovakia tomorrow and then Cyprus on Monday.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 3:00pm
Important to emphasise that altho the draw is very nice, we have a more than decent U17 team this year, with some very exciting prospects.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:01pm
u17's beat slovakia 1-0. glen macaulay got the goal. think thats us qualified for the finals but a win in our last game and we will definatly top the group. colin o'brien is doing a great job at this level with a really exciting group of players. 

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:35pm
Hon the lads! Great result... Hopefully the u19s can follow suit next week.

Goes to show how much of a joke our u21 setup is with jokers like then Don Givens in charge and now Noel King.

We've been abysmal the last few campaigns, 3rd/4th/5th place finishes, not once making the elite round.

And those squads would have consisted of some of best players, the likes of Coleman, Duffy, Cunningham, Doherty, Egan, Brady, Hendrick, McCarthy, Meyler, Judge, Sheridan.. even Towell and Horgan!

Its as evident as ever, its managerial failings.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:35pm
Great performance and fully deserved win. We have won the group and qualified for the finals as Cyprus drew 0-0 with the Faroes.

McAuley, Idah, Connolly and Bolger particularly impressed. Maher had to make 2 superb saves during a brief period of pressure. Otherwise we were on top for most of the game and also hit the woodwork.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net