You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International Matches outside FIFA Calendar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: International Matches outside FIFA Calendar
    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:15am
I thought this might be an interesting topic to put out there. The US mens national team played a friendly this week against El Salvador in Florida with a team mainly consisting of MLS based players. Interestingly the game was scheduled outside the fifa international calandar and was organised around the MLS season coming to a conclusion. The USMNT team won 6-0 and gave their coaching team the opportunity to debut and try out new players. 

It got me thinking, would organising friendlies outside the fifa schedule be something which the FAI and the current coaching team could look at.for instance after the end of the irish domestic season, a league of ireland 11 against a norweigan league 11 or a uefa team which has a similar domestic calendar. You may also get players from the premier league which are down the pecking order and need game time, if clubs were willing to release them for the friendlies. Let me know your thoughts 💭
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:40am
In theory, it is a great idea for where we are at now. In practice, apart from other restricting factors, could the FAI afford to do it?
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 7:57am
UK clubs wouldn't release players.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 8:34am
Did the league of Ireland put together a team to play another country in the 90’s? 
I’m sure it happened but can’t find anything on Google.

Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Think the point is it would only be for league of Ireland players 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
cant see this making economic sense for the fai 
AKA pedantic kunt
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 9:53am
Only 1 or 2 would be anywhere near international standard and these sort of games wouldn't show it. A waste of time
Rustybedsprings View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustybedsprings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:10am
B team games
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Think the point is it would only be for league of Ireland players 

Predominantly LOI players with a sprinkling of players that might be available for other reasons. Potentially players out of favour or even out of contract where their clubs may welcome them having a semi competitive run out. Possibly younger players who haven't made it into the first team squad  could also be involved. 

While it may not produce many full internationals, it would certainly raise some players profiles and would certainly be of personal benefit to them.

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:53am
The Scandinavian countries do this quite regularly in the winter months. I think its a brilliant idea. It would be brilliant experience for the likes Duffy, McEleny and McEneff. I think it would also be a brilliant for guys like Shields, who have been consistently the top performers in the league over a number of years.

The only small stumbling block I can see would be the contractual obligation to play all senior internationals in the Aviva. These games likely wouldn't draw big crowds, but would be ideal for Turners Cross, Deacy Park etc. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Did the league of Ireland put together a team to play another country in the 90’s? 
This definitely happened anyway

April 30, 1980
Monumental Stadium, Buenos Aires, attendance 75,000
Argentina 1 League of Ireland 0 
Scorer: Diego Armando Maradona

One of his 34 goals for Argentina

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:08am

Most recently league of Ireland XI played in that Dublin super cup at the Aviva against Celtic, Man Utd and Man City but before that regularly played games against the Irish League, Welsh league and  against the Scottish League. 
There's a few really interesting and u usuall ties played also in 1979 a LOI XI played against the Basque Country at the San Names stadium in Bilbao in front of 40,000.
There's a good wiki page here on it.

time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:30am
Think it would be a brilliant idea. Take jack Byrne for example if he stays at Shamrock Rovers he won’t have another game until February at least so can’t put himself in the shop window for the managers. For where we are at now it would be hugely beneficial as Byrne, McEneff, Burke all been involved with the seniors last win, Duffy would have apart from injury. Throw in Chris Shields and some of the younger talented it would be a very decent side. It would benefit the u21s more even. Take last campaign Grant, Mandriou, Leahy, McGinty, Lennon and Elbouzedi before his move to Lincoln all could be part of it too. Kenny did put together a home based u21 side for a few days training and match against the amateur side so it would be great to try it out. Just while we’re on the matter would anyone be against Chris Shields getting a cal up? He’s been outstanding the last few years for Dundalk and would be a great reward for him, I suppose only thing is we have McCarthy, Cullen, Arter and Molumby who play a similar type of role to him but what a great player

Edited by Donegalman - 12 Dec 2020 at 11:32am
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:32am
Trap did get a real benefit from the B International against Nottingham Forrest in Dalymount. I'd say why not you could easily get a side from the Irish League to play a game in the Showgrounds for Instance. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:35am
Did a load of people pull out of that game?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:40am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Most recently league of Ireland XI played in that Dublin super cup at the Aviva against Celtic, Man Utd and Man City but before that regularly played games against the Irish League, Welsh league and  against the Scottish League. 
There's a few really interesting and u usuall ties played also in 1979 a LOI XI played against the Basque Country at the San Names stadium in Bilbao in front of 40,000.
There's a good wiki page here on it.

I seem to recall the LOI put a team together to play a Scandinavian country or league in the 90’s

Anybody remember this?

Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:59am
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-4-1-england-turners-cross-b-international-2793874-May2016/ Anyone remember this match.
I was at it, great occasion with some great players involved on both sides. Goals are on YouTube. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic