You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to attract Polish to go to Ireland games.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to attract Polish to go to Ireland games.
    Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:50am
There was a fantastic atmosphere last night in the Aviva Stadium. It was great to see some Poles with their Polish gear on but having an Ireland scarf around them and face painted green. I saw one Pole decked out in red and white whereas his two small kids had green on. A notable amount would have bought three tickets with the English and Scottish games included. Any way we can attract our Polish friends to Lansdowne more regularly cheering on the Boys in Green? They're clearly football mad and it would be great to have them along more often.

Edited by ABFC - 31 Mar 2015 at 10:53am
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:52am
Play Poland every week ??

ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I was waiting for that. Can people leave the jokes to Sligo Hornet.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:58am
While it's a nice sentiment there's no chance a load of Poles are gonna attend our games and support us when we're in the same group!
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:59am
I think a good few Poles come to watch Ireland when they can. 

I think any of them who are involved in grassroutes here would go but perhaps not too many would commit to buying season tickets. .

Maybe the FAI could start targeting more polish through the media. (advertise in polish papers here, have a polish section on the FAI website, send some Polish tweets?)

Just a few random ideas, but i definitely think we can build on this. 
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:59am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I was waiting for that. Can people leave the jokes to Sligo Hornet.

Fair point !

Not sure there is an easy answer to this one : Might be interesting to see if any LOI clubs maybe try and do something on the back of this to try and attract some of these people to their games.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:21am
I think we'd be better off trying to attract more Irish to the games tbh. 
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:24am
agreed need to get more Irish  "fans" off their bar stools and couches - fair play to the poles great color and noise.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:40am
Cap one or two of them!
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:44am
Why stop at Poles ? theres a large number of Baltic and Africian immigrants in the country. Why not try and attract them to the games. Maybe we could rename ourselves the UN team and forget about our Irishness altogether.............
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Why stop at Poles ? theres a large number of Baltic and Africian immigrants in the country. Why not try and attract them to the games. Maybe we could rename ourselves the UN team and forget about our Irishness altogether.............

Missing the point here I think - Many of the kids mentioned will have been born in Ireland to Polish parents.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 12:17pm
Hummmmm it's a bit like if you live in England would you be happy to go along to Wembley to see England play ?????Thumbs Down
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hummmmm it's a bit like if you live in England would you be happy to go along to Wembley to see England play ?????Thumbs Down

I know plenty of Irish people over here who are married to English people and have kids who share a sense of belonging to both nations and support both.

Anyways, that's kinda beside the point in that I wish we were selling out our home games and not allowing away teams to take over (fair play to the Poles for their great support).

Edited by Borussia - 31 Mar 2015 at 12:32pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Well, Phil Jagielka's parents possibly did. We could do with a couple of kids like that coming through. Although the only motivation that people usually need is the promise of a good game with good players and a good atmosphere.

getting more fans to club and international games (no matter what their background) is a must. Play well and they will come.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:11pm

Missing the point here I think - Many of the kids mentioned will have been born in Ireland to Polish parents.

Indeed, there are a lot of kids and teenagers now from Polish and Baltic families walking around with perfect Irish accents. I'd say it's only a matter of time before we see a few such players start to appear in the underage set up.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Indeed, there are a lot of kids and teenagers now from Polish and Baltic families walking around with perfect Irish accents. I'd say it's only a matter of time before we see a few such players start to appear in the underage set up.
Only a metter of time before we lose a lot of them to the their parents native country too I'd say
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Lots of players in the U17 and U19 age groups already with North African, Romanian and other names. Can't be anything but positive.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:23pm
not so sure about that. 

a lot of folks who have moved here have integrated very well and i am sure many of their kids sound irish class themselves as irish of ghanaian/polish/nigerian extraction etc.

i predict many more noe baba's in the next 20 years. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic