Print Page | Close Window

How to attract Polish to go to Ireland games.

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Republic Of Ireland
Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=51323
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 10:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How to attract Polish to go to Ireland games.
Posted By: ABFC
Subject: How to attract Polish to go to Ireland games.
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:50am
There was a fantastic atmosphere last night in the Aviva Stadium. It was great to see some Poles with their Polish gear on but having an Ireland scarf around them and face painted green. I saw one Pole decked out in red and white whereas his two small kids had green on. A notable amount would have bought three tickets with the English and Scottish games included. Any way we can attract our Polish friends to Lansdowne more regularly cheering on the Boys in Green? They're clearly football mad and it would be great to have them along more often.

Replies:
Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:52am
Play Poland every week ??

Posted By: ABFC
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I was waiting for that. Can people leave the jokes to Sligo Hornet.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:58am
While it's a nice sentiment there's no chance a load of Poles are gonna attend our games and support us when we're in the same group!

-------------

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:59am
I think a good few Poles come to watch Ireland when they can. 

I think any of them who are involved in grassroutes here would go but perhaps not too many would commit to buying season tickets. .

Maybe the FAI could start targeting more polish through the media. (advertise in polish papers here, have a polish section on the FAI website, send some Polish tweets?)

Just a few random ideas, but i definitely think we can build on this. 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 10:59am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I was waiting for that. Can people leave the jokes to Sligo Hornet.

Fair point !

Not sure there is an easy answer to this one : Might be interesting to see if any LOI clubs maybe try and do something on the back of this to try and attract some of these people to their games.

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:21am
I think we'd be better off trying to attract more Irish to the games tbh. 

Posted By: daveyc
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:24am
agreed need to get more Irish  "fans" off their bar stools and couches - fair play to the poles great color and noise.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:40am
Cap one or two of them!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:44am
Why stop at Poles ? theres a large number of Baltic and Africian immigrants in the country. Why not try and attract them to the games. Maybe we could rename ourselves the UN team and forget about our Irishness altogether.............

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Why stop at Poles ? theres a large number of Baltic and Africian immigrants in the country. Why not try and attract them to the games. Maybe we could rename ourselves the UN team and forget about our Irishness altogether.............

Missing the point here I think - Many of the kids mentioned will have been born in Ireland to Polish parents.

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 12:17pm
Hummmmm it's a bit like if you live in England would you be happy to go along to Wembley to see England play ?????Thumbs Down

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hummmmm it's a bit like if you live in England would you be happy to go along to Wembley to see England play ?????Thumbs Down

I know plenty of Irish people over here who are married to English people and have kids who share a sense of belonging to both nations and support both.

Anyways, that's kinda beside the point in that I wish we were selling out our home games and not allowing away teams to take over (fair play to the Poles for their great support).

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Well, Phil Jagielka's parents possibly did. We could do with a couple of kids like that coming through. Although the only motivation that people usually need is the promise of a good game with good players and a good atmosphere.

getting more fans to club and international games (no matter what their background) is a must. Play well and they will come.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:11pm

Missing the point here I think - Many of the kids mentioned will have been born in Ireland to Polish parents.

Indeed, there are a lot of kids and teenagers now from Polish and Baltic families walking around with perfect Irish accents. I'd say it's only a matter of time before we see a few such players start to appear in the underage set up.

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Indeed, there are a lot of kids and teenagers now from Polish and Baltic families walking around with perfect Irish accents. I'd say it's only a matter of time before we see a few such players start to appear in the underage set up.
Only a metter of time before we lose a lot of them to the their parents native country too I'd say

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Lots of players in the U17 and U19 age groups already with North African, Romanian and other names. Can't be anything but positive.

-------------

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:23pm
not so sure about that. 

a lot of folks who have moved here have integrated very well and i am sure many of their kids sound irish class themselves as irish of ghanaian/polish/nigerian extraction etc.

i predict many more noe baba's in the next 20 years. 

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

not so sure about that. 

a lot of folks who have moved here have integrated very well and i am sure many of their kids sound irish class themselves as irish of ghanaian/polish/nigerian extraction etc.

i predict many more noe baba's in the next 20 years. 

Yes, this is their "home" even though they are very proud of their country of origin and culture. It wouldn't be too big a deal for them to declare for us, especially as we are a small country compared to theirs and are not sporting rivals of their countries in any way whatsoever.

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:35pm
A very hard task, and it will take time. The parents themselves obviously have their loyalty to their own national side and clubteam. They may very well be somewhat sympathetic to our national side, but not enough to be supporting it in any similar manner than how they support their own.

The passion will have to come from their children growing up here who will perhaps have the same passion as we have. In a similar way to myself, also having 2 national teams to support passionately.

Even then, the reality is that only a minority of immigrants and their offspring support the national team of the land they live in/were born in.
Look at examples in the UK, Germany, France and Holland, where immigration has been around for much longer than in Ireland. Speaking from experience here, the percentage of 1st/2nd or even 3rd generation non-nationals attending international games is very low. Teams like Turkey, Morocco etc are hugely supported here by the Turkish and Moroccan ethnic groups, even though their children and even grandchildren have been born here since the 50's and 60's. They still proudly support their 'native' land even though they themselves and sometimes even their parents were born here in The Netherlands. This is of course similar in a way to that of our own diaspora, that still passionately support Ireland even though they themselves or even their parents were born in Ireland. And not all of those proudly support the land where they were born or raised. 

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 1:57pm
That's definitely an issue, but there is a slightly different dynamic with Ireland. There is no colonial legacy for starters.

Foreign parentage never stopped Noe Baba, Carel Tiofack, kwame Ampadu, or others playing for us. Eamon Zayed would probably have chosen us before Libya if we had chosen him/he had progressed. In general we have a good record for keeping these lads in green, it's just that none have made the breakthrough to the senior side so there has not been much attention on the matter.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

That's definitely an issue, but there is a slightly different dynamic with Ireland. There is no colonial legacy for starters.

Foreign parentage never stopped Noe Baba, Carel Tiofack, kwame Ampadu, or others playing for us. Eamon Zayed would probably have chosen us before Libya if we had chosen him/he had progressed. In general we have a good record for keeping these lads in green, it's just that none have made the breakthrough to the senior side so there has not been much attention on the matter.

Also the fact that we are a small country and a bit of an underdog has to be a help. There's a bit of a difference between us and much larger countries with a colonial past as you say....I'd say it would be a much easier decision for people to declare for us.

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:11pm
The colonial past is definitely a valid point, but in a similar way to the examples given for Ireland this has not stopped the likes of Seedorf, Kluivert, Davids, Gullit, Rijkaard, Winter etc (Surinam) Giovanni van Broncklhorst, Depay etc (Indonesia), Affelay, Bouhlarouz etc (Morocco), Yildirim(Turkey) and many more to declare for The Netherlands to play for us.

Though many 1st/2nd/3rd generation players do declare their allegiance to the Dutch national side, it seems that their compatriots do not switch with the same ease and only a small percentage of them support the Dutch national side and attend the games. And that is is the point I was making, that it will be very hard to get our Polish community to join us in following Ireland.

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:12pm
The Poles only started coming here just over ten years ago. IMO this generation still has very strong patriotic feeling towards Poland itself, as seen by the huge turnout on sunday. I think we can encourage the next generation to follow Ireland as im sure having grown up here a higher proportion of them will consider themselves to be 'irish'. The fact i think remains that they are Poland supporters first and foremost and if Poland are on the box at the same time we're playing in the Aviva theyll be watching the tv.

from living in poland a while myself i was always very fond of the country and their national team (until the other night of course, diving bastards Angry) but i think no matter how long i lived there i wouldn't have gone to follow the Polish team, because no matter  how long i lived there i think itd have never been enough to consider myself 'Polish'.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:14pm
Although hopefully itll change in the next few years when we inevitably have players in our national side with Polish/Baltic/African names. At that point we'll have a team that unites all of the cultures in this country. I just think that integration hasn't gone on long enough yet for this to be a reality at the minute.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:16pm
Similar religon, culture (drink) (family) are also positives for Eastern Europeans integrating in Ireland more so than Muslims, Hindus etc in the UK, France and Germany.

And without being racist - colour.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:20pm
Add Thierry Baba to that list as well, named, again, in the Irish u15 side

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Great name.
Would love him to score with his hand against France in 8/10 years time.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

There was a fantastic atmosphere last night in the Aviva Stadium. It was great to see some Poles with their Polish gear on but having an Ireland scarf around them and face painted green. I saw one Pole decked out in red and white whereas his two small kids had green on. A notable amount would have bought three tickets with the English and Scottish games included. Any way we can attract our Polish friends to Lansdowne more regularly cheering on the Boys in Green? They're clearly football mad and it would be great to have them along more often.

Im honestly not sure if your being serious

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Great name.
Would love him to score with his hand against France in 8/10 years time.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: d13dave
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 2:33pm
i think folks who have come to Ireland by in large have bought into Ireland and we in turn have welcomed them and made them feel at home. I genuinely think we will see lots of immigrants first and second generation turn out in the green jersey in the years to come. Already lots of african and polish kids with foreign names but Irish accents in Dublin. This will have a positive impact on us on the pitch i am sure of it. I do think it is unlikely that their parents will go to Irish international games regularly and passionately support the team though. We will be there 2nd team behind Ghana, Poland etc

I reckon their is an age cut off here. If i moved to England when i was under 10 i reckon there would be a chance i would class myself as English of Irish heritage and support England. If i moved to England when i was 15 i would very much class myself as Irish living in England and it would not be up for debate no way i would support England.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

i think folks who have come to Ireland by in large have bought into Ireland and we in turn have welcomed them and made them feel at home. I genuinely think we will see lots of immigrants first and second generation turn out in the green jersey in the years to come. Already lots of african and polish kids with foreign names but Irish accents in Dublin. This will have a positive impact on us on the pitch i am sure of it. I do think it is unlikely that their parents will go to Irish international games regularly and passionately support the team though. We will be there 2nd team behind Ghana, Poland etc

I reckon their is an age cut off here. If i moved to England when i was under 10 i reckon there would be a chance i would class myself as English of Irish heritage and support England. If i moved to England when i was 15 i would very much class myself as Irish living in England and it would not be up for debate no way i would support England.

Nope Dave not a chance as my family moved over the Englnad when i was 3 and a half and i have only ever been Irish, 100% sure i was never English Ouch

-------------

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:37pm
How do we go about attracting Brazilian and Swedish women to our games? They like their football and are easy on the eye too.

Posted By: simon
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:43pm
I'v bought 3 season tickets.And go support Ireland with my kids.I don't go mad like when I'm watching Slovakia playing but can give them shout here and there.Kids are half Irish,they were born here and want to play for Ireland.And the thing is that here in Roscommon there are 40+ kids at  gaelic (u8) and hardly 15 at soccer (u8).And majority of those playing soccer are not Irish...polish,brazilians.There isn't even a football team in Roscommon Town anymore (used to be 2) except one made of brazilians !!And the infrastructure is very poor compare to gaelic.
If you want to attract non irish to football matches you have to targeted kids.Adults will go only if they are really football (sport) mad like me.

-------------
Slovakian living in Ireland.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 11:52pm
Often wondered would it be worth a shout for some of the bigger league of ireland clubs to sign a polish player from their league, not sure what kind of money some squad / fringe player from lech poznan or leigia Warsaw would command even if they could get someone in on loan.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Often wondered would it be worth a shout for some of the bigger league of ireland clubs to sign a polish player from their league, not sure what kind of money some squad / fringe player from lech poznan or leigia Warsaw would command even if they could get someone in on loan.
Remember Alex Ludzic playing for Cark in the past...

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:29am

LOI clubs have missed a trick here IMO. A partnership between Polish and Irish clubs should have been made years ago. Polish club gets to loan players out, not a massive distance from their homeland, plenty of Polish/ethnic food and in return the LOI club may benefit financially.

As for supporting the national team, as Simon said (excuse the pun) you need to target the kids

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: winner alright
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:32am
Polish people have a strong identity & national pride so it would take quite a few generations I think. 

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 12:44am

Remember Alex Ludzic playing for Cark in the past...

Ludzik played with ramblers and had a spell with City too, good shot stopper was at his testemonial in turners cross, remember Liam Brady playing in that game, christ he could pass the ball to anyone he wanted to on the pitch without even having to look up to see where they were.

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:08pm
A lot of so called Polish children are actually Irish. Born in Ireland, living and growing up here and going to school here, playing sports etc. Their parents home is Poland but for the kids home is Ireland.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 9:55am
Ohhhhhhh give then free Vodka that should do it Beer

-------------

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 9:56am
Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

A lot of so called Polish children are actually Irish. Born in Ireland, living and growing up here and going to school here, playing sports etc. Their parents home is Poland but for the kids home is Ireland.

Just like Kevin Kilbane and England.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 12:45pm
Exactly shuffler

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: eireland
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 3:30am
This thread is nearly 10 years old now and I was at the game in question. Super atmosphere that day all thanks to the poles. 

Be interesting to see what people think now. The majority of polish adults who moved here will never support us as their main team and rightly so. But I feel this community has done an excellent job integrating and their kids born here are growing up as Irish as the rest of us with no grudge on their shoulders towards this nation. And as a result this new generation of Irish will support the national team. Obviously many will support Poland as well as Ireland due to their parents being from there and that's good to see also. 

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Can't believe it's nearly 10 years since this and 8 since euro 2016.

Posted By: wicklowrunner
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 4:53am
I’ve had this conversation on numerous occasions. Just cannot understand why young lads here with Polish descent haven’t come through at adult level. Klose and Podolski are great examples where it’s happened abroad.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 5:34am
I don't have the figures but is it a case that a lot of those who came to Ireland during the Celtic Tiger returned to Poland during the recession? From the 2022 census, there's less than 100k living in Ireland.

In terms of other ethnicities, we have a really small proportion of population; less than 10% "other white", 4% Asian, less than 2% black. 

I'm sure those coaching at home who are more aware of those from other ethnic backgrounds and who is more likely to playing football or not.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Seanachie
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 10:29am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I don't have the figures but is it a case that a lot of those who came to Ireland during the Celtic Tiger returned to Poland during the recession? From the 2022 census, there's less than 100k living in Ireland.

In terms of other ethnicities, we have a really small proportion of population; less than 10% "other white", 4% Asian, less than 2% black. 

I'm sure those coaching at home who are more aware of those from other ethnic backgrounds and who is more likely to playing football or not.

As you say, many Polish immigrant families in Ireland are probably transitory - they tend to go back after a few years. It's also only 20 years since Poland joined the EU. Poles who lived in Ireland before then led a fairly precarious existence - I knew a couple who got turned away by immigration on returning to Dublin after trips home - few would have been starting families back then, so there wouldn't be many Irish-born adult kids of Polish parents yet. That said, there have been surprisingly few Polish players in the underage teams in recent years. It could be the families don't stick around or maybe Polish emigrants don't take that much of an interest in playing football (it sounds strange but Polish names aren't exactly common in underage teams of other European countries either).

Posted By: Seanachie
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 10:42am
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

I’ve had this conversation on numerous occasions. Just cannot understand why young lads here with Polish descent haven’t come through at adult level. Klose and Podolski are great examples where it’s happened abroad.

Klose and Podolski are different cases though as both were Aussiedler, descended from German citizens who stayed in Poland after World War II and therefore had a right of return (Sepp Piontek, Denmark's manager in the 1986 World Cup was a Warsaw-born German too). Both Klose and Podolski also had fathers who were professional footballers (and mothers who were handball players) so they had a slight advantage from the start.

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 1:49pm
I think its just the age profile, as pointed out Poland only joined the EU 20 years ago and many of the Polish who immigrated here were young and didn't have kids for a couple years.

All our players of Nigerian descent, their parents began coming to Ireland 25-30 years ago at this stage and most of the ones in the senior squad are only 20-23 years old now with a lot more emerging at younger age groups.

Give it a few years and there will be more Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian, Romanian names etc.. coming through, theres already a fair few at the various underage levels.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 6:15pm
It's the nature v nurture debate. Do ye really think they are better footballers because of genetics? 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net