You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many aways will you get to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Poll Question: How many away games will you make it to?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [28.57%]
16 [17.58%]
29 [31.87%]
20 [21.98%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

I love going to the aways as much as the next man but dunno how so many yous can swing so many. Are yous all unemployed millionaires with ridiculously understanding/football-loving spouses?...Is there some secret to it or am I just whipped ?
I'd say it'll be just the one for me (Swiss booked)Unhappy

No secret, just tell her well in advance you going, bring her to the odd one. 
Sponsored Links

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:52pm
I would say a combination of whipped and money. 

The flights for most of these are fairly cheap. You're talking March, June and October. It's nicely spread out like so easier to balance it off. 

I really really want to do Georgia but it would mean leaving Friday and coming back Wednesday which is a big ask. 

Love the lads that go away for like week every trip. Some jobs they must have. My trips are usually 1-2 days. 

Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 2:59pm

I love going to the aways as much as the next man but dunno how so many yous can swing so many. Are yous all unemployed millionaires with ridiculously understanding/football-loving spouses?...Is there some secret to it or am I just whipped ?

it's not about just swinging it. it's a commitment. I haven't missed an away since Sept 14. I'm married with a kid, you bring her and him the odd one to keep her happy, you book the cheapest flights, and you don't spend stupidly the rest of the year. I don't smoke, drink, or be out sh*tting around every weekend. It can be done. The same lads who normally ask me these questions at home are the same lads who drop 150 euro a night in the pub every weekend.
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

it's not about just swinging it. it's a commitment. I haven't missed an away since Sept 14. I'm married with a kid, you bring her and him the odd one to keep her happy, you book the cheapest flights, and you don't spend stupidly the rest of the year. I don't smoke, drink, or be out sh*tting around every weekend. It can be done. The same lads who normally ask me these questions at home are the same lads who drop 150 euro a night in the pub every weekend.

It's all about the balance. I want to be that lad who never misses a game home or away but had to prioritise the last couple of years. Wedding, buying a house etc. 

I've 3 trips booked, she knows about none yet LOL

I have 2 kids and can't wait to bring him, won't get in half as much trouble then. 

The last point highlighted is the probably the most accurate and is the very same for me. Don't drink heavy or smoke. Few bottles or whatever at the weekend after a week of work. Really go out and plan for these games. It's on average of 3 games a year (away) which is very doable to be fair if you plan it right. 

Edited by kearney304 - 05 Dec 2018 at 4:43pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Have all but Gibraltar booked now, Tbilisi been great last two times, Switzerland is a new country for me. Denmark is Denmark, just going for the football for once. 

What is yor route for Georgia? Still trying to figure it out

Taking the long route, going to Baku the weekend before, staying there til Weds and getting an overnight train. Third time there, didn't want to travel so far and not see anywhere else.

I was considering this. I take it you are going Ryanair to Kiev, Ukraine International to Baku?

I ended up just going to Kutaisi via Luton.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Have all but Gibraltar booked now, Tbilisi been great last two times, Switzerland is a new country for me. Denmark is Denmark, just going for the football for once. 

Taking the long route, going to Baku the weekend before, staying there til Weds and getting an overnight train. Third time there, didn't want to travel so far and not see anywhere else.

I was considering this. I take it you are going Ryanair to Kiev, Ukraine International to Baku?

Nope, Turkish airlines, was able to book Dublin-Ist-Baku and Tbilisi-Ist-Dublin on one ticket which was handy, they're a great airline to fly with, looking forward to it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:01pm

Self employed, no wife or kids, but I'm in the middle of buying a house and I can still afford this.

Sure the flights will cost no more than €400 at the minute, and that's return to Gib, return to Denmark, out to Georgia and Georgia to Milan. That's the expense at the minute. Once that's booked, the general expense per trip will be no more than about €300 extra per trip, once you count sharing a room and staying in basic enough places that are about €100 a night for one or two nights a trip.

Gibraltar we have free accommodation and car hire and petrol will be under €50 each for the few days.

Copenhagen, accommodation and the train down to Hamburg and a night there will be no more €200 each.

Georgia accommodation for four nights and the trains to and from Kutaisi will be no more than €250 each.

Train from Milan to Switzerland and a night in Milan and a night in Switzerland will be no more than €200 each.

A flight home from wherever in Switzerland, Germany, France or Italy after the game will be no more than €100, including the cost of the train from Switzerland if necessary, once you know where to book.

So flights, car hire, trains and accommodation for the combined total of 10 days will be €1,200. Counting around €50 a day spending is €500 more. Match tickets for four tickets is probably €150 total (cos Georgia will be peanuts).

I'd say the total cost for all four aways will be under €2k. That's hardly extreme for what is most of my annual holidays.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:05pm
Be going to all four, le cúnamh Dé. 

Hopefully flying into Madrid to meet ShannonHibs and get the train down to Gibraltar.

Copenhagen with the wife, and staying with my mate and his missus in Malmo.

Then double header for the two week 2019 holiday. Planning to head up to Kazbegi for a couple of nights then back to Tbilisi. Fly to Munich for a couple of nights then head down to Basel by Train, back over to Lake Constance then for some RnR!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Be going to all four, le cúnamh Dé. 

Hopefully flying into Madrid to meet ShannonHibs and get the train down to Gibraltar.

Copenhagen with the wife, and staying with my mate and his missus in Malmo.

Then double header for the two week 2019 holiday. Planning to head up to Kazbegi for a couple of nights then back to Tbilisi. Fly to Munich for a couple of nights then head down to Basel by Train, back over to Lake Constance then for some RnR!

There's like three hours on a bus from Antequera because the train line is closed at the minute, afaik. It may be reopened by March but I don't think so.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:35pm

Theres always cheap ways to work around it. I'm in my final year of college and have managed 12 away games in the last 3 years. Group of us stay in hostels which do the job. Usually just a few hours sleep after late nights on the beer anyway. No need to go for fancy meals and dear bars when away either as their is usually deals on. Book early enough is a big help too in cutting the costs. Copenhagen is surprisingly cheap was 170 for flights and 2 nights accommodation. Gibraltar isn't too bad either will work out just under 200 and that for 1 night in Faro, 2 in Seville and 1 in Gibraltar plus flights and buses. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:43pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Nope, Turkish airlines, was able to book Dublin-Ist-Baku and Tbilisi-Ist-Dublin on one ticket which was handy, they're a great airline to fly with, looking forward to it.

How much was the return if you don't mind me asking?
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:54pm
Ah yeah I understand. I was actually looking back over previous campaigns and I was averaging 4 aways from 2004-2012. Was ok then cos included my (extended) college career, and I didn't mind being constantly broke, but would feel a bit guilty now with the family.

I brought the then gf to the Euros in 2016. Got her a ticket for the Sweden game.
After, she was like, "wow that was great...wow...wow".
So I said: "So I'll try get you get hold of one for the Belgium game?"
She said: "Well, yeah I suppose."
Sensing the hesitation and the possibility of getting to go free on the beer with the lads, I said: "Well if you'd prefer you can use the money from the cost of a ticket to go shopping in Bordeaux?"

No hesitation, and that's been the arrangement ever since. She's already checking out the Basel high street on google streetview Cool 

cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:56pm

I get paid weekly, and I'm lucky enough to have a few bob spare. So I've set up a standing order of 40e a week that goes into a separate account. I never touch this only for Ireland. 

40 * 50= roughly 2k. This pays for my away flights and hotels. Like most here,  cheap and cheerful does. More importlany the money is there when needed, like Sunday past, for muliple flights .Also use it to pay for STs plus FAIshop usually have a sale before the new range come out, I like to stock up then for kids and me.  

Plus I always say to herself what I'm planning. If you say your going away for a night in June, and few in October, doesn't sound so bad.  

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 5:12pm

Married with 2 young kids.

Have only missed 3 games in the last 10 years - Kaz was one was because my mate was getting married and Wales as I was in NYC. Didn't bother with Austria.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 5:49pm
Last 6 years have been mental for me with buying house, getting married and building an extension with 2 young kids. Finally through all that and looking to get back on the away train.

But now she wants another kid!!!
Will play it by ear but hoping to do Denmark and Georgia. Switzerland I wouldn't get a ticket 
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 6:10pm
do ye think Switzerland away will be oversubscribed? Give or take we get 2,000 tickets and I know a lot of people are sick of the sight of Denmark and Georgia for away trips but Switzerland is an expensive country and it's on a Tuesday. Austria was oversubscribed in the last qualifying but it was a Saturday and it's reasonable enough for a pint but cant see a lot of the jolly boys outings been enticed by Basel.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

do ye think Switzerland away will be oversubscribed? Give or take we get 2,000 tickets and I know a lot of people are sick of the sight of Denmark and Georgia for away trips but Switzerland is an expensive country and it's on a Tuesday. Austria was oversubscribed in the last qualifying but it was a Saturday and it's reasonable enough for a pint but cant see a lot of the jolly boys outings been enticed by Basel.

I think the same, it's 2 days off work at least, flights aren't a bad price but accommodation prices are through the roof in every city, never been but I've been told to expect to pay more than denmark for a pint. 
Lansdown Roar View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lansdown Roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 6:17pm
Denmark should be fine for tickets too although it's on a Friday. They're sick of the sight of us too and they won't fill the stadium i think leaving a bigger allocation to us.

Edited by Lansdown Roar - 05 Dec 2018 at 6:17pm
They've only gone and done it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic