You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How Do We Keep Up With Our International Rivals?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Do We Keep Up With Our International Rivals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

But Bielsa is what happened in the 10 years that trandy was talking about. He's the one that gave this group of players an identity and style that suits their abilities perfectly.

I agree 100% with tribalarmy on this. The style that Chile are playing in this World Cup is very much along the same lines as what we saw from them in 2010. Bielsa has had a huge influence on their style of play in much the same way as we saw during his time at Athletic Bilbao. Unfortunately, I don't think the FAI would ever have the foresight or be bold enough to appoint such a technically proficient manager. We generally look for the short-term option.
Sponsored Links

benchwarmer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benchwarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by trapscat trapscat wrote:

1st the fai need to invest in underage and forget about paying the aviva debt off by 2020
2nd get more coaches into national schools
3rd merge the SFAI, Junior leagues, FAIS etc under direct FAI control, to prevent them operating as separate entities, producing a unified body promoting soccer in this country.
4th Try to change the irish mindset from national sports, to international sports. As a GAA player I enjoy the game and enjoy when waterford do well, but I love when my country beats another on the international stage a whole lot more,
5th The CEO needs to get out of his bubble, that he thinks our underage system, is producing enough talent up to standard, for our international team. Listen to your grass roots, rather than your well paid advisors, and ERSI reports that allows him quote the areas that look good.

Think we need to find a way of getting young children away from playstations/ smart phones etc to have any hope of implementing the above properly.  (same as in most first world countries)
Changing the way football is coached in this country would take  lot of highly paid pen pushers way way out of their comfort zones.

''I'm a utd fan cause me da was a utd fan''- Irish utd fan
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 12:17am
Some interesting points from the poster "trapscat" there. But getting coaches into our primary schools - would there not be a lot of resistance to that? A lot of the school principals, particularly in rural areas, would be more intent on promoting gaelic games. Or maybe I`m wrong...

We`re fairly unique here in Ireland in having 4 dominant games - soccer, gaelic football, hurling and rugby. All 4 codes are competing against each other for the same youngsters and many of these kids grow up idolising players from non-soccer codes. (Henry Shefflin, Colm Cooper, Brian O`Driscoll, etc)

Take Croatia, which has a similar (4.5 million) population to us. They churn out technically-gifted players year after year, but their kids are far more focused on soccer as the main ball sport. Ok, basketball and tennis are big as well, but soccer/football is the national sport, same as it is in most countries of the world
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 12:38am
I think the answer is pretty straightforward. 

In 2013:

Ratio of coaches to children in Germany was 1:150

Ratio of coaches to children in Ireland was 1:650.

"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 12:38am
a PYRAMID SYSTEM would be a big help. A good progressive connection up the ladder from underage football to LOI football would benefit kids. People can say what they like about the LOI standard but at the end of the day its the highest level of football in the country and where kids can learn most about the game in a professional and competitive environment. The stronger the LOI is, the the closer and easier the gap will be for young players to make the step up.
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 12:46am
The majority know what must be done to stop us falling behind other nations but the problem is that those at the top and those with the money don't see any problem as we are still competitive in the majority of qualifying groups. Efforts must be put in to keep young talented kids in ireland and have them playing at a competitive level where they can work there way up to playing in the league of ireland and then making a move across to england when they are good enough and proved that they can play at a senior level. Also the quality of coaching must improve but with the costs of getting any uefa badges i dont see to many taking this option and any that do after spending so much money will probably be looking to get paid with their coaching jobs which will more than likely result in a coaching job abroad.
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
trapscat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

Some interesting points from the poster "trapscat" there. But getting coaches into our primary schools - would there not be a lot of resistance to that? A lot of the school principals, particularly in rural areas, would be more intent on promoting gaelic games. Or maybe I`m wrong...

We`re fairly unique here in Ireland in having 4 dominant games - soccer, gaelic football, hurling and rugby. All 4 codes are competing against each other for the same youngsters and many of these kids grow up idolising players from non-soccer codes. (Henry Shefflin, Colm Cooper, Brian O`Driscoll, etc)

Take Croatia, which has a similar (4.5 million) population to us. They churn out technically-gifted players year after year, but their kids are far more focused on soccer as the main ball sport. Ok, basketball and tennis are big as well, but soccer/football is the national sport, same as it is in most countries of the world

totally right wit rural areas, live in a rural area myself and the principal of the local school is totally GAA, soccer is not given a chance. I guess soccer will all was play second fiddle to gaa, and when the top man in d FAI thinks all is good in rural areas their wont b much of a change.
MasterOfApples View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterOfApples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

There would be resistance to that, putting it mildly. The GAA are bound to the education system here, just like the RCC are/were. Football will always be secondary to GAA in schools. 
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

If you can't see the difference between state funding for the horse industry and state funding for football then I suggest you go back to counting LOI football matches where 1+1 apparently equals 4 Wink

I do get the difference you jackass.

My point is that it is backwards. The state should not fund profitible but politically powerful private industry over funding a sports infrastructure. You are arguing this on the basis it should be public policy to divert funds from the community to the rich and try and kill off people as early as possible.

So you obviously think the state should not give funds to Bord Failte to promote our profitable tourism business or to Bord Bia to promote our very profitable agri-food industry and give it to the FAI instead.  Only one jackass on this thread and it's not me.  Just stop digging for fcuk sake and move on.
clever bit of maniuplation there JSL! however, your argument is flawed for the folllowing reasons:

1. The state should give funds to an orgnaization which promotes tourism  - Bord Failte
2. the state should NOT give funds to Hotels like Dromoland Castle

Are we agreed on that - Bord failte PROMOTES tourism, Dromoland Castle DELIVERS tourism.

Ok, moving on so.....

1. the State should give funds to an organization to promote the horseracing/greyhound industry - Horse Racing Ireland (HRA)/Irish Greyhound Association (IGA) for instance

2. the state should NOT give funds to some of the wealthiest people in Ireland and in the WORLD to supplement their company - Aidan O'Brien, Sheikh al Makhtoum etc

Again, HRI/IGA promotes their Industry and Aidan O'Brien/Sheikh al Makhtoum DELIVERS that industry.

THerefore :

Do I want my tax money to be used promoting and improving Irish football into the future for everyone
Do I want my tax money to be used making ridiculously wealthy people even more wealthy by giving them tax funded tax breaks, almost non-existent corporation profits tax levels, prize money frmo winning races etc?

Its a bit of a rhetorical choice, if you have any morals to be honest!!

Oh and for those here who think that ALL corporations are treated equally by state funding, ask the employees of places like (just for instance...!)
a. cappoquin chickens
b. Waterford glass
c. Bausch and Lom

if they were given huge amounts of public funds to support their employment?

Like *** they were!

Edited by greengooner - 20 Jun 2014 at 10:13am
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
085immersive View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 085immersive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 2:53pm
We are doing brilliant obviously. Costa Rica beat Italy and Uruguay and we drew with them all in the space of the past few weeks. So we are better than Italy and Uruguay. Costa Rica are in the last 16 in the world cup and we are equal to them!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

We are doing brilliant obviously. Costa Rica beat Italy and Uruguay and we drew with them all in the space of the past few weeks. So we are better than Italy and Uruguay. Costa Rica are in the last 16 in the world cup and we are equal to them!

Sweden battered us.
Portugal battered Sweden.
Germany battered Portugal.
Yeah we're doing just fine.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 3:25pm
Don't think we can use the "size" excuse anymore or having to compete with other sports.

If you take figures produced by FIFA we have more registered players than the likes of Switzerland, Portugal, Bosnia, Uruguay and many others.http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/bigcount/registeredplayers.html

We also have rank in the top 15 when it comes to clubs, so I imagine we rank quiet highly in coaches also.

Personally think it's down to the way football is coached in this country. Not enough emphasis on skills and technique. I'm sure the likes of MayoMark would be able to discuss it in better detail.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 12:38am
A huge factor in modern international football is focus and hunger, as we`re seeing at this WC. The Costa Rican players are fairly average individually but as a team they`re hungry to succeed and see the WC as a window to showcase their individual talents.

The English and Spanish players are secure in the knowledge that they`ll continue to earn big bucks in the coming league season and they frankly couldnt be arsed if they bow out early from the WC. It means they get longer hols after a gruelling club season.

I agree with GoneToShowgies, a pyramid system is the way to go. Talented youngsters play underage for the various juvenile teams attached to LOI clubs and progress their way to playing for the senior team. In this way we enhance the standard of the LOI, while also enabling these youngsters to get a degree or trade to fall back on.

If they`re good enough at 22 or even 26, they`ll get a pro contract overseas   
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 7:55pm
I think we have a decent squad,its just not being used properly.Compared to some of the world cup teams and the poor performances i have seen so far we are just as good as them.
If we can encourage the players to pass the ball around and mix up our tactics we will do good.
Long ball game is long gone,teams are playing out from the back and we should do the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic