You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holland v Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Knight has been bang ordinary this season at BS, same as he was last season at Derby. Can't seeing him ever becoming a Premier league standard player. 

Another player built up way more than he should have been on here over the years.
Every single one of our players, at this current time, are Championship standard players bar Ferguson and arguably Collins. Ogbene is having a good season regardless of Luton results but the jury is still out whether he can make it at that level. Cullen & O'Shea are good Championship players but not PL standard yet, imo. 

Agree that most players are Championship quality but if this Ireland squad were competing in the Championship, you'd think that they would be top 6 at least, if not competing for one of the top 2 spots (if managed/coached well)
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Knight has been bang ordinary this season at BS, same as he was last season at Derby. Can't seeing him ever becoming a Premier league standard player. 

Another player built up way more than he should have been on here over the years.
Every single one of our players, at this current time, are Championship standard players bar Ferguson and arguably Collins. Ogbene is having a good season regardless of Luton results but the jury is still out whether he can make it at that level. Cullen & O'Shea are good Championship players but not PL standard yet, imo. 

Even if they were PL standard, its no guarantee that they'd be able to come into the Ireland team and improve us much. 
The sad fact is that most average nations have plenty of players at the same standard or better than the likes of Cullen, Knight, Omabomidele, Collins, Ogbene etc 

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:33pm

I don't see Cullen having a career in the Premiership. Burnley will likely be relegated this season.
Is Collins better than Championship? He has been off the pace anytime I've seen him this year, but I have also read reports of him having good games, so maybe he'll develop some consistency. I think his ego got a bit ahead of him - "leadership group" and so on.
Knight is the big disappointment for me. He looked like he had the energy and irrepressible attitude to apply himself, but hasn't finessed that energy into much, and it looks like it won't happen now at his age.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:42pm
The Championship is a good league. 

The Leicester City squad would walk qualification to the Euros in every group except our own. I'd go as far as to say that they'd have no issues getting out of the group at the final tournament.

Take a look at the most recent Hungary starting XI that finished top of their group ahead of star-studded Serbia.

3-4-3

Dibusz (Hungarian Premier Division)

Lang (Cypriot Premier Division) - Szalai (German Premier Division) - Balogh (Italian Second Division)
Nagy (Hungarian Premier Division) - Nagy (Italian Second Division) - Styles (English Third Division) - Bolla (Swiss Premier Division)

Szoboszlai (English Premier Division) - Gazdag (MLS)

Ádám (South Korean Premier League)

You don't need top players playing in top leagues to build a good team.

How many of those lads get into our starting eleven, or even into our squad? If we were to play them tomorrow, I'd expect them to beat us home and away comfortably, because they clearly have a good coach who has made them into a good team.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:58pm
Yeah it just emphasises the importance of appointing Kennys successor. I agree that the Championship is a great standard and you can do a lot with Championship standard players as far as international teams. It's alright having good players, but you need a manager that knows how to utilise them. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 3:00pm
We have almost always had Championship players in our team, including in our teams that played at the 2002 World Cup and the 2012 and 2016 Euros.

There's nothing wrong with having a core group of solid Championship players as long as there is a sprinkling of Premier League (or equivalent) quality alongside them. At the moment I'd argue we have that in defence and attack, but not midfield. But overall our squad compares reasonably to most small European nations. There's no justification for us to be playing as badly as we are.

Edited by You Tell Me - 20 Nov 2023 at 3:01pm
craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

We have almost always had Championship players in our team, including in our teams that played at the 2002 World Cup and the 2012 and 2016 Euros.

There's nothing wrong with having a core group of solid Championship players as long as there is a sprinkling of Premier League (or equivalent) quality alongside them. At the moment I'd argue we have that in defence and attack, but not midfield. But overall our squad compares reasonably to most small European nations. There's no justification for us to be playing as badly as we are.

Almost sounds like there is a case to be made for bypassing midfield...
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic