You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Arter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 93>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:22pm
Lads I read this with tears in eyes - absolutely great read, spoke from the heart and it was refreshing to see someone so honest.

Just puts things in to perspective for me a little. Lots on here questioning his commitment and loyalty to us but the fact is he is / was dealing with a personal tragedy and his head obviously wasn't right. Fair f**ks to him. 

Sponsored Links

richie_os View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richie_os Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:52am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Lads I read this with tears in eyes - absolutely great read, spoke from the heart and it was refreshing to see someone so honest.

Just puts things in to perspective for me a little. Lots on here questioning his commitment and loyalty to us but the fact is he is / was dealing with a personal tragedy and his head obviously wasn't right. Fair f**ks to him. 

People also shouldn't be so quick to paint him as not being committed to us. It must be hard to leave his young daughter and wife behind to travel with Ireland after what they have been through. He is committed to them first and foremost above anything else and rightly so
(San Marino) I think i'd settle for the draw.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 9:25am
Read it this morning. Got quite emotional I have to admit. As people say above the criticism he has gotten over last year or so, Something we all forget is that footballers are only human.

Didn't know he was Scott Parkers Brother in Law
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:20am
Would bring a tear to glass eye that.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:41am
It's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to question his commitment on anything.  He didn't have his best game against Austria, who the fook did?

The article I read yesterday was absolutely heartbreaking, brave and honest and it took me back to when it happened to me.

I love this lad, he's a class act.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:14pm
Have to say I welled up reading that from Harry, incredibly brave of him to share it with the world. I think it's important to remember as well how loyal he must feel to Bournemouth and their fans with everything he's been through and how the club and squad rallied around him and his family. 

I've always liked him and thought he was absolutely fantastic in Vienna for us. A bit flat the other day against Austria but I wouldn't single him out for that, he wasn't the worst out there and the whole team took too long to get going.

For me, he's a definite starter when available. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:25pm

A good read.

Pep and the Burnley fans Clap
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:30pm
Have to Echo everything above - A brutally honest piece, a compelling and heartbreaking read. 
I think he's brave to share this but hopefully it might help others in this position. 

Have said this before, maybe something could be done from the YBIG community to make a donation to the charity he supports in his daughters name. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Have to Echo everything above - A brutally honest piece, a compelling and heartbreaking read. 
I think he's brave to share this but hopefully it might help others in this position. 

Have said this before, maybe something could be done from the YBIG community to make a donation to the charity he supports in his daughters name. 

I guarantee you it does help others.  Men are hoors for not sharing something as heartbreaking as that and you have to make the first move as your family and friends, despite knowing you're hurting, often are afraid of raising it for fear of upsetting you.  Once you open up, you can deal with it.  You never forget it, but you learn to deal with it.  Eats you up otherwise.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:01pm

So he is above criticism because he has openly talked about a personal tragedy?
I don't think anyone, bar a few idiots on twitter, has brought this into it. I think we all wish him and his family well, that doesn't change the doubts some people may have about his commitment and it is a bit distasteful to use it in his defence.
He is an Irish footballer, this is an Irish football forum. He will be discussed in regard to performance and commitment on his performance and commitment like every other player.

That is a well written piece, fair play to him for being so open about it, it can't be easy.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm
Great piece. Tough read
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don't think anyone, bar a few idiots on twitter, has brought this into it. I think we all wish him and his family well, that doesn't change the doubts some people may have about his commitment and it is a bit distasteful to use it in his defence.
He is an Irish footballer, this is an Irish football forum. He will be discussed in regard to performance and commitment on his performance and commitment like every other player.

That is a well written piece, fair play to him for being so open about it, it can't be easy.

Did I say that?  Absolutely not.  From reading his previous interviews on missing Euro 2016, he was gutted about his injury.  The lad plays with 100% heart every game, questioning his commitment to the Green jersey or any jersey is just ridiculous.  There can be no doubts about his commitment in the matches he's played for us and his comments about what playing for Ireland has meant to him. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Did I say that?  Absolutely not.  From reading his previous interviews on missing Euro 2016, he was gutted about his injury.  The lad plays with 100% heart every game, questioning his commitment to the Green jersey or any jersey is just ridiculous.  There can be no doubts about his commitment in the matches he's played for us and his comments about what playing for Ireland has meant to him. 
How are ya FW? I didn't realise you were Kearney, and here was me thinking he was the Conna Maradona?LOL
I still think there are question marks over him as the questions that were asked have never been answered. I also didn't think that was a particularly committed performance on Sunday, although he wasn't alone there. I just don't feel international football is that high on his list of priorities, again, he won't be the first or last there. 
I do hope we can get the best out of him when he does, I do think he needs to hone in the rashness that can be seen as an asset in the English club game.
Nib View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 11:59am
WOW. That article genuinely brought me to tears. I like Arter, that cheeky smile after he dived to win a free in Vienna endeared me to him forever. Remembering the Austrians were at it all game.

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:36pm

I reckon you would turn every comment in to an argument if you could. 

Yes this is my view. His commitment is in question by fans on this forum. But maybe this article will let people understand that some peoples decisions aren't based purely on what we think they are. So I don't find it distasteful. I'm sure that if he's fit, he will play. If not - instead of arsing about over here for a few days he is going to spend time with his family. I think people should lay off a small bit and this has everything to do with it. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:48pm

Yes this is my view. His commitment is in question by fans on this forum. But maybe this article will let people understand that some peoples decisions aren't based purely on what we think they are. So I don't find it distasteful. I'm sure that if he's fit, he will play. If not - instead of arsing about over here for a few days he is going to spend time with his family. I think people should lay off a small bit and this has everything to do with it. 
How is it an argument? This is a forum for discussion.
That article told me nothing about his commitment to us at all, there is nothing to understand. My doubts stem from the recent call up for the Wales game when we found out he was unavailable via a social media message showing him on a plane to Dubai. This comes after previously pulling out of squads and subsequently playing in his club's next game. 
I think using his personal tragedy as a defence is little better than using it as a criticism and is distasteful as it is completely irrelevant.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:02am

How is it an argument? This is a forum for discussion.
That article told me nothing about his commitment to us at all, there is nothing to understand. My doubts stem from the recent call up for the Wales game when we found out he was unavailable via a social media message showing him on a plane to Dubai. This comes after previously pulling out of squads and subsequently playing in his club's next game. 
I think using his personal tragedy as a defence is little better than using it as a criticism and is distasteful as it is completely irrelevant.

That is my point exactly. I knew that was the incident you would mention. Maybe he needed just to "get away" and spend some time with his family after all his heartache. You're questioning his commitment - but what he is going through in his personal life has a direct impact on what he does in his professional footballing life, can you really not see that? That's my sole point. 

Edited by kearney304 - 19 Jun 2017 at 10:03am
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:18am
the dubai trip was a warm weather training camp with his club.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 93>
  Share Topic