Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=49885
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 12:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Harry Arter
Posted By: Green Devil
Subject: Harry Arter
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 2:24pm
Cracking strike from him today against Watford for Bournemouth.

Ex Irish u19 international now 24, been highly praised after todays game and looked pretty good on the ball from what I saw of him.

O'Kane & Arter could well push on this season and possibly get themselves into an Irish squad.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Replies:
Posted By: Trapcandoit
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 2:42pm
 He's Irish???  Some strike all right!

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Trapcandoit Trapcandoit wrote:

He's Irish???  Some strike all right!

London born, but declared for us from a really young age.

I like the look of him tbh, no harm in calling him up for a friendly or two if he keeps up his good form under Eddie Howe.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 2:53pm
Here we go again another saviour Sleepy

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Here we go again another saviour Sleepy

Saviour? What are you on about?

Arter is a 24 year old centre midfielder who's actually proved himself at Championship level, what else was said other than if he keeps up his good form that he may get a call up

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 3:06pm
 Nothing wrong in getting excited when you've just seen one of the better performers in a game you just watched and finding out he's eligibleThumbs Up  

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 3:18pm
He is the sort of fella I would love to us organise a few B games against reasonable opposition for. Himself and O'Kane, Mason, Alan Judge, Eoin Doyle, Henderson, Hourihane, Eoin Doyle, Stephen Gleeson, Carruthers. Fagan, Forrester and Towell from the league here. Be an interesting experiment to see who is up to it.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

He is the sort of fella I would love to us organise a few B games against reasonable opposition for. Himself and O'Kane, Mason, Alan Judge, Eoin Doyle, Henderson, Hourihane, Eoin Doyle, Stephen Gleeson, Carruthers. Fagan, Forrester and Towell from the league here. Be an interesting experiment to see who is up to it.

+1 

Can't understand why it can't be done.

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 3:24pm
I would imagine 80% won't be good enough but if you found one player from it, it would be worthwhile.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 12:01am
surely will get a look in, in the next squad. Playing every week with top of the table bournemouth and has got 5 goals in his last 5 games

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:20am
Good goals as well. He is on fire at the minute

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:56pm
Scott Parkers brother in law

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Scott Parkers brother in law

Did he marry Parker sister or vice versa?

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 3:27pm
Parker is married to his sister.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30590786

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 11:57pm
I knowhe hasn't played for us but think this lad could be a huge talent.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:08am
Agreed. What I seen him do warming up fills me with incredible confidence. Looks a class act.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:54am
A shame we don't have a friendly on Monday or Tuesday would have given MON a good look at a Arter and Christie again and some of the fringe players. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 2:09am
Happened to have a conversation with Harry on Saturday in the team hotel, he was sitting by himself in the middle of the bar while everyone was running around looking for autographs they left him out i don't think outside the FAI knew who he was. Top bloke, really dead on down to earth guy. 

IMO, him and McCarthy are the way forward. Whelan will always do a job, sometimes we need more then just doing a bloody job. for fcuk sake, we cant put that team out v Scotland, we'll lose again. 

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 2:41am
I think he's been earmarked as Whelan's replacement. A similar player with a bit more of a dynamic edge. Definitely worth a look at v england

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 2:58am
O'KANE IS THE WAY FORWARD NEXT TO MCCARTHY  FOR ME

HARRY IS A GOOD PLAYER THOUGH

Posted By: hulkhogan
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:25am
Meyler deserves a chance lads..cant believe how overlooked he is

-------------
Whacha gonna do

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:40am
O'Kane doesnt play for Bournemouth that is a ridiculous thought. He warms the bench.

Posted By: IrishBhoy7
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

O'KANE IS THE WAY FORWARD NEXT TO MCCARTHY  FOR ME

HARRY IS A GOOD PLAYER THOUGH

I preffer Hendrick by a mile

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:21pm
Meyler in CDM
Arter and Hendrick at CM.

Young, hungry midfield the fact that Arter is left footed also could bring new creative ideas to the table.

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Meyler in CDM
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Arter and Hendrick at CM.</span>

Young, hungry midfield the fact that Arter is left footed also could bring new creative ideas to the table.
Gotta have Hoolahan for me. I agree with Hendrick though, he's a classy young player. Him and McCarthy in CM with Hendrick more of a licence to roam and mccarthy always sitting with Hoolahan ahead of thosé 2. McGeady and Brady out wide with Long up front. Hoolahan has 3 targets to hit as a result as opposed to 1 last night and even at that McGeady didn't look match fit. Walters out wide and Keane uo front alone offers Hoolahan nothing.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Meyler in CDM

Gotta have Hoolahan for me. I agree with Hendrick though, he's a classy young player. Him and McCarthy in CM with Hendrick more of a licence to roam and mccarthy always sitting with Hoolahan ahead of thosé 2. McGeady and Brady out wide with Long up front. Hoolahan has 3 targets to hit as a result as opposed to 1 last night and even at that McGeady didn't look match fit. Walters out wide and Keane uo front alone offers Hoolahan nothing.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I thought Walters was a great outball last night. He won a huge amount of 50/50's and 40/60's and made the ball stick. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:52pm
O'kane is a playmaker a regista deep lying playmaker,   and he is recovering from a nasty injury !!!!!!!!

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Meyler in CDM

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I thought Walters was a great outball last night. He won a huge amount of 50/50's and 40/60's and made the ball stick. 
But nothing ever looked like coming from him when we hit it long to him, he made it stick on occasion and won the odd header (not many) but never ever looked liked we would create something from one of these. People seem to forget that Long is give or take the same height as walters and can also spring while also offering and absolute abundance of pace in behind. As a winger while playing 1 up top it's up to the wide men to create chances, Walters dosent do this and isn't half the target man people seem to think he is. I'd have him behind Long for 2nd choice striker but not ever ever ever out wide.

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:48pm
I also think Meyler deserves a chance.

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:07pm
Good interview with Arter from a few days ago, on how he's worked his way up from football's lower reaches.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/harry-arter-interview-artful-arter-two-wins-from-the-dream-10202511.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/harry-arter-interview-artful-arter-two-wins-from-the-dream-10202511.html

Big night for Harry, (and Eunan O'Kane) whose Bournemouth side can secure promotion with a win against Bolton later this evening. The Cherries have a second bite of the, er, cherry, if they should slip up tonight, with a win against Charlton away on the final day also guaranteeing them Premier League status for next season.

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:23pm
Im sure Arter will keep his place in the premier league if they get promoted, but O'Kane? I recon he'l be back in the championship next season

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Im sure Arter will keep his place in the premier league if they get promoted, but O'Kane? I recon he'l be back in the championship next season

Don't let Javier hear you saying that !

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:34pm
haven't seen this Arter lad play, but the few players that have come up through the English footballing ranks have turned out well, Finnan been a good example Hoolahan played in League 1. 

Any others that have trodden a similar path?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

haven't seen this Arter lad play, but the few players that have come up through the English footballing ranks have turned out well, Finnan been a good example Hoolahan played in League 1. 

Paul Green ????!!!

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:51pm

Jon Walters

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:54pm

Jon Walters

Stephen Hunt probably another one

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Don't let Javier hear you saying that !

O'KANE TOO mate,  joy of a player ,  arter can score and move , but O'Kane can pull the strings and plays it ,   joy of a player

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 9:40pm
Would have that Callum Wilson in an Ireland shirt, cracking goal....suspect he's another who'll see how he fairs in the Premiership before nailing his colours 

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:19pm
It'll be interesting to see how Arter fairs at a higher level next season, and whether O'Kane will be retained. 

Wilson looks a useful player, but are there any grounds to believe he's given any sort of serious consideration towards the prospect of an international career with Ireland? He's been named in the last several England U-21 squads, expressing his pride at being called up for the first time back in November, telling the BBC; "It's something every player dreams about, getting to represent your country is a fantastic achievement,".

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:24pm
Crossing my fingers and toes Harry has a chat with Wilson about putting on the green jersey!

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:26pm

John Aldridge started out at Newport before working his way up the leagues, the same with Andy Townsend, who began his career at Welling.

Mark Kinsella played a couple of seasons in the conference with Colchester before progressing through the leagues.

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Crossing my fingers and toes Harry has a chat with Wilson about putting on the green jersey!

I hope the FAI are going after him. Good player, does an excellent job as a lone striker and bangs in alot of goals. Exactly what we are looking for.

Posted By: schillaci
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

I hope the FAI are going after him. Good player, does an excellent job as a lone striker and bangs in alot of goals. Exactly what we are looking for.

What is the story here ? Is he the one that bypassed agents and contacted O'Neill ? There was such a story in the press a few months ago, but I cant remember who it was rumoured to be.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

What is the story here ? Is he the one that bypassed agents and contacted O'Neill ? There was such a story in the press a few months ago, but I cant remember who it was rumoured to be.

Could be, who knows? He got called up to an English under 21 squad (he's 23) around a week or two after O'Neill mentioned his name in the Press but he then pulled out through 'injury'...

Posted By: savo01
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:31am
[/QUOTE]
Think you mean Arter and it was more that he walked up to O'Neill after a game and said "am from de Eire innit massive bants fam"

-------------
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go

Posted By: 085immersive
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 12:33pm
Ya I presumed that was Arter. Who had played for us before so no great surprise.

Date Posted: 02 May 2015 at 12:35pm
Scores the opener for bournemouth

Date Posted: 02 May 2015 at 2:11pm
Bournemouth win the Championship

Date Posted: 02 May 2015 at 2:13pm
Delighted for them

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:03am
Quotes worth highlighting from Harry:

"The Football Association of Ireland got in touch with me as I made my way through the ranks at Charlton and I started playing for the junior Irish teams," he said. "I was made to feel very welcome in Ireland, so when someone from the English FA came and asked me if I would be interested in a call-up for them, it wasn't a big decision for me to turn it down.

"I have always felt a loyalty to Ireland and not just because I've got so many family members in the country and having spent many a happy summer holiday in Ireland when I was a kid; it's always felt like my country.

"So the idea of playing international football for England has never been in my radar. I want to play for Ireland. I have always wanted that."

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2428098/afc-bournemouths-harry-arter-excited-to-play-in-the-prem

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:49am
ClapClapClap

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:52am
Fair play to him. As McClean said it's what your heart says not your head. It's not club football it's playing for your country.

Over to you Jack.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Date Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:52am
    The guy hasn't kicked a (senior) ball yet for us and he's a legend already. Fair play Harry. Laoch!

-------------
5 goals to go Robbie!

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:31am
Hope he gets at least a half against england. 

Posted By: GREENISLE
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 10:27pm
Was at the open session earlier and this lad reminded me of frank lampard, his posture and build is very lamps like

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 5:10am

http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/debut-worth-the-wait-as-harry-arter-happy-with-aviva-outing-335188.html&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0CCYQqQIwA2oVChMI8KCI596BxgIVwj4UCh2AFwCv&usg=AFQjCNGUrlX16Xlcu-WFk5u7YutgEEjDjg" rel="nofollow - Debut worth the wait as Harry Arter happy with Aviva outing
Irish Examiner -

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 1:11pm
I think Arter will finally be the one to displace glen whelan in the team. 

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 1:41pm
He may even make a late appearance against the Scots, I hope he starts against Gibraltar in September shows us something different in a game we'll win.  

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: JD & Coke
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 1:52pm
Dont think he offers much defensively.

Posted By: JohnWilson24
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 1:59pm
I thought he played well a bit over eager but that was always going to be the case considering it was his debut. Could have slid James or Long through but decent overall and I would like to see more of him.

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 2:04pm
He'll be definitely in the frame for a possible starting place from September onwards bearing in mind he will be playing regularly in the Premiership

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Not a prayer. He has no positional sense whatsoever. Has great work rate and energy, even if a lot of it seems wasteful and is certainly a goal threat but he is no holding midfielder.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Not a prayer. He has no positional sense whatsoever. Has great work rate and energy, even if a lot of it seems wasteful and is certainly a goal threat but he is no holding midfielder.

Neither is Whelan. 
Arter offers something entirely different than what our current midfield have - Left-footed (Unusual for a center midfielder) energetic, looks for pockets outside the box the forwards have left behind.

I would love to see Arter start and McCarthy in a more deep sitting playmaker role.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:18pm
That's exactly what Whelan is, a holding midfielder.

Any time Whelan is not on the pitch the midfield is unorganised and all over the place.

When Whelan (and to a less extent McCarthy) went off against England our central midfielders were nowhere to be seen, which gave the England a hugh amount of space in the middle of the pitch.

Arter could work well with Whelan in the team, as this would allow Arter to get into those forward positions and penetrate the opposition.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:24pm
yes he is not  to play and sit somewhere he goes and roams around  he is not defensively that aware of his place can bring something with his dynamic runs

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:52pm
We already have McCarthy to hold the midfield (and Gibson too when he's fit) so there's absolutely no need to have Whelan there, I'd hesitate to even have him the squad TBH. Arter is a box to box player, he gets forward well but also does his fair share of defensive work, he'd offer more than Whelan would, particularly playing alongside one(or both) of the aforementioned.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
Whelan's sh*t lads. Trap knew it, O'Neill knew it, Pulis knew it, Hughes knew it.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:58pm
Needs more games but confident he can be a potential starter in the not too distant future

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:03pm
Whelans has been a lot more effective for us under O'Neill with the extra body in midfield than he ever did under Trap with just the two.

I thought we'd a good shape about us especially in the first half. Whelan, McCarthy and Hendrick/Hoolahan is definitely what we should be lining out with in the centre.

@Coyne

What on earth are you talking about?! Whelan is a holding player!

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Whelans has been a lot more effective for us under O'Neill with the extra body in midfield than he ever did under Trap with just the two.

I thought we'd a good shape about us especially in the first half. Whelan, McCarthy and Hendrick/Hoolahan is definitely what we should be lining out with in the centre.

@Coyne

What has exactly has he held then? LOL Like Seany said he's been absolute garbage under the 4 Managers he's played under. Atleast Paul Green had a good game once every solar eclipse

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:41pm
I cant believe the abuse Whelan gets ,do lads even watch him play or just slate him for the sake of it?The team suffer's big time without Whelan in it.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Needs more games but confident he can be a potential starter in the not too distant future

Exactly as has been pointed out on this thread he offers something different to what we've got.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:49pm

@Coyne

What has exactly has he held then? LOL Like Seany said he's been absolute garbage under the 4 Managers he's played under. Atleast Paul Green had a good game once every solar eclipse

So basically you think he's a sh*te holding midfielder but he is a holding midfielder. Anyway move on.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:53pm
O'KANE IS REALLY A DIFFERENCE OF WHAT WE'VE GOT

HIM AND MCCARTHY IN MIDFIELD, THE BALL WILL BE ON DECK  TIDY SILKY AND LUXURY FOOTBALL    TIKI TAKA FOR EIRE

ARTER IS DIFFERENT BUT NO SURE ABOUT HIS POSITIONING

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

O'KANE IS REALLY A DIFFERENCE OF WHAT WE'VE GOT

HIM AND MCCARTHY IN MIDFIELD, THE BALL WILL BE ON DECK  TIDY SILKY AND LUXURY FOOTBALL    TIKI TAKA FOR EIRE

ARTER IS DIFFERENT BUT NO SURE ABOUT HIS POSITIONING

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 6:58pm

@Coyne

So basically you think he's a sh*te holding midfielder but he is a holding midfielder. Anyway move on.

I was being sarcastic.

If Whelan is sh*te why is he constantly picked by different managers? As others have said, we looked exposed down the middle when he went off.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:02pm
Harry Arter is the future with McCarthy, said it months ago and got laughed at.

Good with the play and has a bullet for a shot. Whelan is brilliant at holding the fort however, Arter is a threat he carries a goal threat anything from 15-20 yards you fancy him to let one rip and its usually unstoppable. Playing in the PL will bring him up a level in his game also Arter Whelan McCarthy would be great 3 man midfielder post this match.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:36pm
It's pretty hilarious that people have already latched onto Arter's positioning being a supposed weak-point, because I know exactly where it's come from. The co-commentator on Setanta mentioned that the midfield had lost it's solidity since Arter came on due to him being less disciplined in his positioning. Sure enough, despite possibly having never seen him play before it becomes a buzzword to criticise him with before his international career has even gotten going.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:57pm

With respect, you get laughed at in most threads.

Again, how have you come to the conclusion that Arter will be the future with McCarthy after 20 mins of football in an Ireland jersey.

There is no evidence that will be the case. None what so ever. Actually there is no evidence to suggest anything considering that this is the first squad he has made and his brief cameo appearance.

He did, in his 20 minute appearance do pretty well.

I spoke to the lads who were at the NI game and they said he had a terrible game.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Again, how have you come to the conclusion that Arter will be the future with McCarthy after 20 mins of football in an Ireland jersey.

There is no evidence that will be the case. None what so ever. Actually there is no evidence to suggest anything considering that this is the first squad he has made and his brief cameo appearance.

I spoke to the lads who were at the NI game and they said he had a terrible game.

To be fair he was in the squad for Poland too, but otherwise yeah a fair point, even if youve not actually offered any evidence to show he wont be the future, merely saying that there is no evidence to support sbyrnes view.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">I cant believe the abuse Whelan gets ,do lads even watch him play or just slate him for the sake of it?The team suffer's big time without Whelan in it.</span>

+1

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

To be fair he was in the squad for Poland too, but otherwise yeah a fair point, even if youve not actually offered any evidence to show he wont be the future, merely saying that there is no evidence to support sbyrnes view.

I do think he will be in future squads and if he plays the same way as he did against England he will have earned his place in the team\squad.

It's still early days though.

Arter from what I have seen him is more of an attacking midfielder, Whelan is a holding midfielder, the total opposite player than Whelan.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Okey dokey
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:34pm

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

I do think he will be in future squads and if he plays the same way as he did against England he will have earned his place in the team\squad.

It's still early days though.

Arter from what I have seen him is more of an attacking midfielder, Whelan is a holding midfielder, the total opposite player than Whelan.

Could we not accomadate Whelan,Arter and McCarthy?

-------------
Thanks Bill.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:02pm
Holy mother of f**k but there are some clowns on here. Whelan is probably the first name on the team sheet and deserves to be. He was absolutely magnificent on Sunday, constantly in the right place while cajoling those around him. I don't care what Sellotanta sports aid about Arter, he is not a holding midfield player. Not for Bournemouth and won't be for Ireland.
P.S if tou don't think Whelan is a holding midfielder f**k off and watch cricket.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:35pm

Holy mother of f**k but there are some clowns on here. Whelan is probably the first name on the team sheet and deserves to be. He was absolutely magnificent on Sunday, constantly in the right place while cajoling those around him. I don't care what Sellotanta sports aid about Arter, he is not a holding midfield player. Not for Bournemouth and won't be for Ireland.
P.S if tou don't think Whelan is a holding midfielder f**k off and watch cricket.

How exactly would you describe Whelan in that case? I think almost everyone who watches Stoke/Ireland would agree than Whelan is a holding/defensive midfielder (he's certainly not box-to-box or an attacking midfielder), whether or not he's any good at it though is a matter of opinion.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

How exactly would you describe Whelan in that case? I think almost everyone who watches Stoke/Ireland would agree than Whelan is a holding/defensive midfielder (he's certainly not box-to-box or an attacking midfielder), whether or not he's any good at it though is a matter of opinion.

Jaysis wept, it isn't even that they ddon't understand football, they don't even understand English

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:45pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Jaysis wept, it isn't even that they ddon't understand football, they don't even understand English

Apologies, misread. The "tou" threw me....

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:51pm
Sorry, didn't even see the typo.

-------------

Posted By: GREENISLE
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 10:53pm
So how does the arter mc carthy combo down the line seem to people.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 11:01pm
I said that weeks ago, to quote 

'Again, how have you come to the conclusion that Arter will be the future with McCarthy after 20 mins of football in an Ireland jersey.

I spoke to the lads who were at the NI game and they said he had a terrible game'

Just Horsebox usual rubbish aimed at me  Thumbs Up 

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 11:10pm
Come on now how many have seen Arter play on a regular basis? Are yiz seriously telling me yiz were watching him and Bournemouth closely over a long period of time to comment on his positional play or his strengths and weaknesses? He looked eager and bright when he got on, but most of us know fook all about him.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Come on now how many have seen Arter play on a regular basis? Are yiz seriously telling me yiz were watching him and Bournemouth closely over a long period of time to comment on his positional play or his strengths and weaknesses? He looked eager and bright when he got on, but most of us know fook all about him.

Ya, but he is a new name to most of us, he has a trendy haircut, and seemingly the entire world of professional football relating to Ireland & Stoke keeps picking Whelan, even though it is clear to the intelligentsia on here that he is in fact useless, and we can't wait to get rid of him. It is only a matter of time before Arter is captain of both Ireland & Bournemouth, before being sold to Real Madrid. 

He looks a decent footballer,  and I did watch about 4 or 5 of Bournemouth's games toward the end of last season, but no, I wouldn't think he is any kind of defensive or holding midfielder. To be fair to him, neither did I notice any lack of positional sense within their system, he puts himself about when the ball is in the middle, when the opposition have the ball, and generally tries to join the attack from a support role (kind of think of him as a lesser Frank Lampard type if you will) when Bournemouth are going forward. 

That isn't any kind of extensive research, maybe some lads that have watched them more know more than I do on him, think he will be a good addition to us, but as is normal for those on here, any kind of decent debut that a player manages to avoid scoring 2 OG's automatically means a starting spot is the next step. Could easily see him moving ahead of Gibson though as regards our options. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 7:25am
Watched him a handy few times this season and saw him live last. A holding midfielder he is not!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 8:40am

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I said that weeks ago, to quote </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
'Again, how have you come to the conclusion that Arter will be the future with McCarthy after 20 mins of football in an Ireland jersey.</span>

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">There is no evidence that will be the case. None what so ever. Actually there is no evidence to suggest anything considering that this is the first squad he has made and his brief cameo appearance.</span>

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">He did, in his 20 minute appearance do pretty well.</span>

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I spoke to the lads who were at the NI game and they said he had a terrible game'</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Just Horsebox usual rubbish aimed at me  Thumbs Up 
</span>
</span>

In most threads most people appear to be having a go at you because you continually talk rubbish.

Pure hypocrisy.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Ya, but he is a new name to most of us, he has a trendy haircut, and seemingly the entire world of professional football relating to Ireland & Stoke keeps picking Whelan, even though it is clear to the intelligentsia on here that he is in fact useless, and we can't wait to get rid of him. It is only a matter of time before Arter is captain of both Ireland & Bournemouth, before being sold to Real Madrid. 

He looks a decent footballer,  and I did watch about 4 or 5 of Bournemouth's games toward the end of last season, but no, I wouldn't think he is any kind of defensive or holding midfielder. To be fair to him, neither did I notice any lack of positional sense within their system, he puts himself about when the ball is in the middle, when the opposition have the ball, and generally tries to join the attack from a support role (kind of think of him as a lesser Frank Lampard type if you will) when Bournemouth are going forward. 

That isn't any kind of extensive research, maybe some lads that have watched them more know more than I do on him, think he will be a good addition to us, but as is normal for those on here, any kind of decent debut that a player manages to avoid scoring 2 OG's automatically means a starting spot is the next step. Could easily see him moving ahead of Gibson though as regards our options. 

would disagree there, he is very much a defensive midfielder, far more so than you would consider gibson, hendrick or even the likes of stephen quinn. seeing him play about 7 or 8 times for bounrnemouth. looks alot better at ball retention too, he is the one that will displace whelan, btw im not saying saturday , but certainly in the next 12 months. 

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 2:08pm
Lads are getting a bit carried away wanting him to start our most important game in years
I would wonder how many times these people have actually watched him play

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 2:53pm
If I wasto give him a fancy tag or one lifted from football manager, I would say he is a box to midfielder in style, like a younger Keane (no way comparable in terms of ability before some other idiot finds their underwear knotting). He is in no way similar to Whelan. He doesn't hold position, he looks to hassle and harry (as usual, all puns intended, even horrific ones) the ball and then drive forward. His passing and shooting are good. He gives something different to ateam then Glenn but we are so reliant on Glenn and most of the illuminati on here can't see it

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 7:22pm

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/777570804?-17912:3335:0" rel="nofollow - Republic of Ireland lose Arter

-------------

Posted By: steve201
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 11:50pm
On Whelan I always thought he was useless back in 2008-10 period but the more caps he has played the more I realise how good a job he does and has done in terms of balancing the midfield. Playing in a stoke team that consistently comes in the top 10 in the premiership shows that he's a better player than he's given credit for.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 1:36pm
made his comeback last night for the u21's. great news...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34518096

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net