You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gordon Elliott ex trainer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think rugby league gets an average attendance of 8,000 at its matches and county cricket average attendance is anything between 2000 and 6000 depending on the county. 
County cricket coverage has fallen through the floor though, well certainly the traditional stuff like the county championship has, and the NatWest Trophy and the Benson and Hedges Cup which were the FA Cup and League Cup equivalents no longer exist

Perhaps the 20 overs a side pyjama cricket bash it as hard as you can league gets coverage but I've no interest in that
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:14am

if I did a survey of my mates I would say f**k all of them
have any interest in horse racing.  
I wouldn’t say that survey would take long 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:26am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I wouldn’t say that survey would take long 

LOLLOLLOLWinkOuch

What makes you think that.

You are probably right though as most surveys need to be of 1,000 people or more to have any standing and there wouldn’t be 1,000 in this one so yeah you are right it probably would be relatively quick in comparison.

Edited by Baldrick - 06 Mar 2021 at 5:28am
AKA pedantic kunt
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:45am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

I agree that perhaps the leading story is over the top, but I don't agree that it is blown out of proportion. 

And I don't believe that you need an interest in horse racing either. An enormous amount of tax payers money goes into it and I think therefor this story is in the public interest. I have no real time for it at all to be honest. 

The Government and Irish people get an absolutely fantastic return from the money they invest in horse racing each year, as the below Deloitte report shows. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:50am
Rugby League certainly doesn't get adequate media representation because it is popular in the lands that time forgot. Cricket has a strange place in the English psyche though. It is a sport associated with poshos, but most people here have some affinity to it, in a way that no other sport has. I don't think I have heard someone who identifies as English be derogatory about the game, yet you will regularly hear people complain about every sport that isn't their preference. My partner, who had no interest in sport, or hadn't anyway, will often check how England is doing in the cricket. She wouldn't want to sit down and watch it, but would keep an eye out.
I was in Liverpool Street at the moment England won the World Cup in 2019. It is comparatively quiet around there on a Sunday evening, but you could hear proper roars from outside. There was so much bonhomie going about London that I am sure two strangers smiled at each other. It was quite surreal.
In that respect, cricket could well be classed as their real national sport. Sure, football has the consistent regular fans and will get those with no real interest to drink Eurofizz in front of big screens, but cricket piques nearly everyone's interest in a stereotypical English manner. Like dog owning, it is one of the few things that could get two male English strangers to have a conversation.

Something I didn't know until recently, and apparently it is still common, is for parents to give their children, particularly their sons, two middle names as it looks better on a cricket scoreboard. I think this kind of encapsulates the attitude to it here. Its heavy on nostalgia and tradition without the need for them to forget or defend the past it comes from.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:54am
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

I agree that perhaps the leading story is over the top, but I don't agree that it is blown out of proportion. 

And I don't believe that you need an interest in horse racing either. An enormous amount of tax payers money goes into it and I think therefor this story is in the public interest. I have no real time for it at all to be honest. 

The Government and Irish people get an absolutely fantastic return from the money they invest in horse racing each year, as the below Deloitte report shows. 

The problem with solely economic data on this is that it doesn't cover the social fallout from the gambling industry reliant on horse-racing. I am not anti-gambling, although like many other aspects of society I don't like where it has gone, and have no major issue with horseracing as long as I don't have to endure anyone involved in it; but I think this needs more than just raw figures.
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The problem with solely economic data on this is that it doesn't cover the social fallout from the gambling industry reliant on horse-racing. I am not anti-gambling, although like many other aspects of society I don't like where it has gone, and have no major issue with horseracing as long as I don't have to endure anyone involved in it; but I think this needs more than just raw figures.

Interesting point. I’d love to see some data from the big gambling companies as to what sports they generate their revenue in. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Football was top of the list. There was a time when betting companies were very reliant on horse racing, I’d say their revenue is much more diversified now. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:11am
It's certainly diversified and one of my (many) criticisms of modern football is that one of its main purposes  seems to be to promote gambling and keeping Ray Winstone relevant, but I don't think the Irish government is pushing millions into the EPL and then telling everyone it's great for the economy! 
There's also the logical point that while football has been linked with gambling since its early days, it wasn't dependent on it. Should gambling be banned there would still be football. The reverse argument,  that there wouldn't be horseracing,  is strengthened by actions like Elliott's.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:43am
If you look at france and a few other countries they tax betting more and that money goes back into the industry 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:12am
Originally posted by wexfordman1 wexfordman1 wrote:

If you look at france and a few other countries they tax betting more and that money goes back into the industry 
Betting laws are much more stringent in France and horseracing is of little cultural significance,  comparatively at least.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:03am
One of Niall Quinn’s arguments for greater funding for football is the amount of tax it generates from gambling, which as we have seen abound is one of the arguments for funding horse racing.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:25am
The problem is the money generated from gambling on Irish football is mainly generated in the Balkans. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 06 Mar 2021 at 10:55am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:54am
A point I should have made yesterday is the coverage in relation to this case and the goings on at Davy’s.  
Which is worse and which for more coverage and greater punishment .  
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:06pm

A point I should have made yesterday is the coverage in relation to this case and the goings on at Davy’s.  
Which is worse and which for more coverage and greater punishment .  
Crazy case, that probably deserves it's own thread. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:20am
Has Rob James been punished yet?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:37am

I think there's little doubt that horse racing wouldn't exist without the gambling element. I'm not sure that it being subsidised by the taxpayer is a very good thing. I'm not particularly comfortable with it

Not sure if the point has been made here but the subsidy that racing gets from the government comes from betting generated from racing. And studies show that the return received from this investment is huge. 

EDIT: I see this has been mentioned above. 

Edited by Borussia - 08 Mar 2021 at 9:40am
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I think there's little doubt that horse racing wouldn't exist without the gambling element. I'm not sure that it being subsidised by the taxpayer is a very good thing. I'm not particularly comfortable with it

Not sure if the point has been made here but the subsidy that racing gets from the government comes from betting generated from racing. And studies show that the return received from this investment is huge. 

EDIT: I see this has been mentioned above. 
What percentage of money spent on betting in Ireland is on racing?

What percentage of taxes from betting does racing receive?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:02am

Had a quick scan through this, what's the return for government? The staff would likely be employed elsewhere so their taxes are aren't specific to the industry. What betting tax are they talking about? Is it tax on Paddy Power profits?

I'm always sceptical when an industry commissions a re report on itself, they can basically pay Deloitte to say what they want, and if they don't like it, they'll just not release it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic