You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portugal vs Éire Sep 1st Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363738
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 9:25am
I recall a Brighton v United game last season, or the season before, where Connolly was awarded a penalty which was subsequently overturned by VAR. He was genuinely fouled later in the game and the ref waved play on, didn't even bother going to VAR. It was clear the ref made his mind up that Connolly was a diver/cheat in that game but against Portugal, the ref simply bottled it.
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 9:58am
Not quite over last Wednesday night yet? Have a listen to myself, Gerk, Conan Doherty
and our own ref watch Paul Tuite dissect the game and look forward to today's match here...

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I recall a Brighton v United game last season, or the season before, where Connolly was awarded a penalty which was subsequently overturned by VAR. He was genuinely fouled later in the game and the ref waved play on, didn't even bother going to VAR. It was clear the ref made his mind up that Connolly was a diver/cheat in that game but against Portugal, the ref simply bottled it.

But half of that Portugal team are known divers? 

Ronaldo, Fernandes etc. would be well known for it, didn't stop the referee having a look every time they hit the deck.

I don't think the referee would have given us a penalty if St Patrick was fouled in the box, it was a clear robbery from start to finish.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

But half of that Portugal team are known divers? 

Ronaldo, Fernandes etc. would be well known for it, didn't stop the referee having a look every time they hit the deck.

I don't think the referee would have given us a penalty if St Patrick was fouled in the box, it was a clear robbery from start to finish.

St patrick got rid of the snakes so that ref woildnt have been anywhere to be seen 
AKA pedantic kunt
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Not quite over last Wednesday night yet? Have a listen to myself, Gerk, Conan Doherty
and our own ref watch Paul Tuite dissect the game and look forward to today's match here...

Enjoyed that. Nice one!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 12:33pm
Still down about this result. It would've been easier to handle if Portugal won on merit but the referee's favoritism towards Portugal casts a long shadow over everything. So many things conspired against us.

Even a 1-1, I would've been able to see the positives. Unhappy
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 1:14pm

Good listen
.would be nice if these were a regular feature on Spotify

A look back in past games etc
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Good listen

That was a good listen 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 2:04pm
Wasn't there talk of the penalty being retaken even though Bazunu stayed on his line as well while we're on the subject of the referee trying to help Portugal throughout the entire game.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Wasn't there talk of the penalty being retaken even though Bazunu stayed on his line as well while we're on the subject of the referee trying to help Portugal throughout the entire game.

Yes, there was a very strange delay for over a minute after the ball had been cleared for a throw in after Bazunu saved. Looks like that **** of a referee was looking for any excuse to have the penalty retaken, but couldn't find one.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Yes, there was a very strange delay for over a minute after the ball had been cleared for a throw in after Bazunu saved. Looks like that **** of a referee was looking for any excuse to have the penalty retaken, but couldn't find one.

The referee spoke to Bazunu for ages about staying on his line before the kick was taken. Utterly bizarre behavior
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Good listen

Keep your ears open. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by xRedmanLFCx xRedmanLFCx wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Well a few hours before kick off and I must say quite relaxed for once .Big smile
Not having a ticket might play a part in that. 
Maybe but what can wea.l do .
Just hope for the best ,28c where I am fridge packed with beers just me and Mrs Claret and just maybe it can be one of those nights . 
Just see this now. We came so close. Albufeira was erupting with emotion - disbelief for the Irish and relief for the Portuguese! 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363738
  Share Topic