You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Italy v Ireland - 31st May K.O @7.45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roseanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Roseanne nice points. While I said MON wouldn't get anywhere near  Trapattoni's record I admit it was a bit of a rash statement. However I really do believe that MON will be doing exceptionally well to merely match Trapattoni's record as manager. 2nd in our first campaign in a group with the world champions, only to be narrowly beaten to France in the playoff. 2nd place in the 2nd campaign with a resounding victory in the playoffs and qualification. Got us up to 17th in the world rankings or something. We know from the Euros onwards it was a bit of a disaster but overall he did an excellent job and only in time will people come to realise that.

For MON to match that record he has to finish 2nd twice plus qualify us for a tournament. I think we will finish at best 3rd this campaign and I think it could be 4th if I am being honest.

People villified Mick McCarthy back in 2002 but he was our 2nd best manager of all time! It wasnt until the sh*te of Kerr, and Staunton did people appreciate the job he did. Those same people wanted him back as manager in 2013!

Thanks for that.  You are absolutely right, it will be exceptional if MON matches what Trap did in qualifying us for a tournament especially when you consider a number of the players have since retired.  The other thing Trap can be thanked for is bringing through some of the younger/fringe players - it was he who gave Forde his debut for example when he probably thought his chance of getting into the Ireland team would be long gone.  Like most of us, he'd probably have assumed Westwood would be next in line to Given and he has certainly grabbed the chance with both hands.

I do believe MON can do it though.  OK club football isn't the same as international football because you can't buy players in international football but, when he came to Celtic, we had been utterly humiliated in the season just ended and there was no belief that things were going to get better.  15 minutes into his first derby, we were 3-0 up, we went on to win 6-2 and that was the game that I think showed that we were back!  He went on to win us our first treble in over 30 years, got us to a UEFA cup final where we were narrowly beaten in extra time beating the likes of Celta Vigo, Stuttgart and Liverpool and to a UEFA cup quarter final the following year - during that run we knocked Barca out with a 19 year old in goals for part of the home leg and and the entire leg at the Nou Camp - he kept a clean sheet each time.  My point is that he is absolutely capable of getting the unexpected out of teams. 

BTW, if we finish third, me being me, I believe we'll win the damn group!  Big smile  If we finish third, we can still qualify through the play-offs.  If he did that, I'd be every bit as delighted as if we did it by winning the group or coming second.  Thumbs Up 

Oh God, don't remind me of Staunton.  Disapprove Sick  Someone suggested him for the Celtic job yesterday on another board.  Shocked  I think even my sanity would be tested if that came to pass. Shocked
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 11:57pm
I look at the days from 2003-2007 as horrific years. Something about Brian Kerr really sucked the life out of following Ireland. He was too cautious, we hardly ever looked like scoring, and when we did we rereated. Ok a lot of lads thought the same of Trap but he got us results where Kerr didnt.

I wish O'Neill had Robertson as assistant instead of Keane. I think he and O'Neill dont dovetail well at all and KEane is too unpredictable and I am worried he will have some outburst when we invariably drop silly points somewhere, e.g. possibly in Georgia and will make examples of 1 or 2 players in the media. Then again he might not but with KEane its always a possibility which makes me uneasy.

anyway onwards and upwards. I hope we can get the results playing a more attractive game than we did under Trap.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 8:55am
Enough of this Trap revisionism. Traps reign was tortureous to watch.

His record is that he managed to get to the euros in 2012 after beating the worst team in football history to make the euro play-offs. You can justifiably blame Henry all you want but that play-off was a 2 legged affair and we were abysmal in the first leg and should have lost by more than one. The improved performance in Paris was down to two things, firstly the arrogant french attitude on the night and the players deciding to have a go and ignore Traps sterile tactics.

As regards his legacy, his teams performances especially at home has lost the hearts and minds of vast numbers of fans so much so that the CEO has had to swallow hard and make apppointments for box office purposes. Even during some of the bad times the crowd stayed with the team. Sadly thanks to Trap, that relationship has soured.

As regards the large numbers who went to Poland, some went for the football but the majority went for the occassion, party and the football was the excuse.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 04 Jun 2014 at 8:56am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 11:16pm
Italy after drawing 1-1 with Luxembourg, starting to wonder how much did they try against us
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
keith3307 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith3307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Italy after drawing 1-1 with Luxembourg, starting to wonder how much did they try against us
The starting eleven that faced Luxembourg was completely different than the one who faced ours, The team tonight contained the likes of Buffon, Pirlo, Balotelli and Chiellini who are all guaranteed game time in Brazil so would have been very cautious compared to the team who faced us who were playing for their spots.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 12:11am
Originally posted by keith3307 keith3307 wrote:

Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

The starting eleven that faced Luxembourg was completely different than the one who faced ours, The team tonight contained the likes of Buffon, Pirlo, Balotelli and Chiellini who are all guaranteed game time in Brazil so would have been very cautious compared to the team who faced us who were playing for their spots.

So Luxemburg probably would have beaten the team that played Ireland

Edited by Landon Donovan - 05 Jun 2014 at 12:11am
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 12:15am
Originally posted by keitho5 keitho5 wrote:

Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

the 3-5-2 in my opinion is the one he should use to pump the minnow teams , we should try it out against oman and tell the lads to go for goals , then in all games with minnows it should be used.

presumably Coleman on the right? McGeady on the left? Both of them are guaranteed to start and rightfully so. Coleman could potentially suit the formation as he would be a wing a back (he's not a winger) but that would mean McGeady being a right footed left wingback which for various reasons most likely wouldn't work

No room for mcgeady in a 3-5-2 IMO

McGeady for the Di Maria role
Boban View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

His record is that he managed to get to the euros in 2012 after beating the worst team in football history to make the euro play-offs. You can justifiably blame Henry all you want but that play-off was a 2 legged affair and we were abysmal in the first leg and should have lost by more than one. The improved performance in Paris was down to two things, firstly the arrogant french attitude on the night and the players deciding to have a go and ignore Traps sterile tactics.

As regards his legacy, his teams performances especially at home has lost the hearts and minds of vast numbers of fans so much so that the CEO has had to swallow hard and make apppointments for box office purposes. Even during some of the bad times the crowd stayed with the team. Sadly thanks to Trap, that relationship has soured.

As regards the large numbers who went to Poland, some went for the football but the majority went for the occassion, party and the football was the excuse.

I hate that shoite about the players ignoring Trap's tactics that night.We had to score.That's why we were more attacking.You think Trap set the players up hoping for a gutsy 0-0 which still would have got us knocked out?
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 4:21pm
True, revisionism works both ways
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I think you're the one being revisionist here CH.

Your assertion is that the team got us to the Euros despite Traps tactics but when things went wrong it was Trap was to blame......only in Ireland could you encounter that kind of nonsensical logic!

I suppose the 4 goals we scored in the play-off were the team taking control of the situation, contrary to Traps tactical plan. They picked the team themselves etc etc.....!!

The facts (and stats) of the matter is that Ireland under trap were successful for long periods of his tenure in relation to how they approached away games, didn't lose, didn't concede and kept Ireland in the hunt in all bar the last qualification campaigns right to the end.

The wheels came badly unstuck (and we were all dragged into watching an uncomfortable truth emerge -ie we weren't good enough) when a combination of traps intransigence to change (thats an old age thing by the way), an ageing squad (players clearly past their sell by date) and being faced with playing the best, 2nd best and 7th best world ranked Teams in Poland resulted in the expected hidings - well expected by those of us who live in the real world - many others thought differently.

Your revisionist arguments on the Trap era don't hold up to scrutiny, but they are in line with much of the press "Trap bashing" which commenced in around 2010, and continued regardless of the results utnil he was replaced.

Thats my take on it.

Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 11:33pm
Any one have any info on this jersey appeared on adverts for a few days but disappeared, why was this style used as a once off

Edited by foggy.nelson - 22 Sep 2014 at 11:35pm
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 8:48am
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Any one have any info on this jersey appeared on adverts for a few days but disappeared, why was this style used as a once off

Prob a once off because Italy's keepers were wearing an almost identical orange kit to ours
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Prob a once off because Italy's keepers were wearing an almost identical orange kit to ours

I get that but why not use the usual yellow one??
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

I get that but why not use the usual yellow one??

Another guess, but prob because we were using the new home kit and they werent available anymore? ..and the new one wasnt worn till the following home game?

Ask Johnnycee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic