You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Football Apartheid in Ireland".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:04pm
f**king FAI creating a sectarian wedge, bastards. There never, ever was one there before. Stop abusing players and you might get a few of those who aren't good enough to play for us!
Sponsored Links

Emerald View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:14pm
Would help if this football "country" had it's own anthem, the same as other football "countries" such as Scotland and Wales have, instead of having the same one as another football "country". And then they wonder why nationalist fans and players feel alienated...Confused 
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by gooner92 gooner92 wrote:

some nordie gobsh*te on ssn there giving out about how republic can choose players from the north and the north cant choose our players.Must not be able to get his head around that the republic isnt part of britain

I was under the impression if you are born on the island of Ireland you can play for North or south,is this not the case?
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Emerald Emerald wrote:

Would help if this football "country" had it's own anthem, the same as other football "countries" such as Scotland and Wales have, instead of having the same one as another football "country". And then they wonder why nationalist fans and players feel alienated...Confused 

Fully agreed Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
iandowie View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 5:52pm

This topic is very contraversial with many fans.  The way I see it is that Northern Ireland are at a disadvantage in this current situation.  However, a player should have a choice to play for which ever team he likes.  I would suggest the best and only way to solve this problem is to bring the two island football associations together and pick one international football team.  You only have to look at how well the rugby team has grown together.  The footballers could line out to 'shoulder to shoulder' and raise both british & irish flags (or even a compromised flag like the rugby team's).  In my opinion this would end the booing of anthems, players and coaching staff.  Merging the two associations would also bring a bigger audience to the domestic league and making it more competitive, not to mention the extra revenue it would generate for the local game.

Football should bring communities together, provide a common interest among strangers.  People need to stand up to the divide in our great game. 

Go on the Irish! All the Irish Clap
farfar View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by gooner92 gooner92 wrote:

some nordie gobsh*te on ssn there giving out about how republic can choose players from the north and the north cant choose our players.Must not be able to get his head around that the republic isnt part of britain

I was under the impression if you are born on the island of Ireland you can play for North or south,is this not the case?
no
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by iandowie iandowie wrote:

This topic is very contraversial with many fans.  The way I see it is that Northern Ireland are at a disadvantage in this current situation.  However, a player should have a choice to play for which ever team he likes.  I would suggest the best and only way to solve this problem is to bring the two island football associations together and pick one international football team.  You only have to look at how well the rugby team has grown together.  The footballers could line out to 'shoulder to shoulder' and raise both british & irish flags (or even a compromised flag like the rugby team's).  In my opinion this would end the booing of anthems, players and coaching staff.  Merging the two associations would also bring a bigger audience to the domestic league and making it more competitive, not to mention the extra revenue it would generate for the local game.

Football should bring communities together, provide a common interest among strangers.  People need to stand up to the divide in our great game. 

Noble sentiments Dowie and I think an all-Ireland team would be the answer, but you'd have to start with an All-Ireland League first and that's unlikely to happen, so an all-Ireland team is more and more unlikely.  PSNI and Garda paranoia over the Nordy fans last night doesn't help.

And we'd have Ireland's Call at football matches as well?  FOOK RIGHT OFF WITH THAT NOTION. Angry LOL
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:07pm
Anyone see their pathetic banner last night: ''FAI hands off our players but keep Darron Gibson'' LOL   dissappeared fairly quickly when the 4th goal went in Embarrassed

Edited by Denis Irwin - 25 May 2011 at 1:07pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Emerald View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by iandowie iandowie wrote:

Interesting stuff. Not sure about the flags part but the rest makes a lot of sense, especially your bit about football should be bringing communities together, which IMO is not happening on the IFA side despite proclamations that things have improved. As long as they keep using GSTQ and displaying loyalist flags they will continue to divide the footballing community, not bring it together. It would be great if we had one association and one football team on the island, but unfortunately it is a pipe dream. The IFA would be the ones as seeing themselves being submerged into a larger body, and so would never agree to it, despite as you say a new domestic league would be more competitive. Good sentiments though. Thumbs Up

Edited by Emerald - 25 May 2011 at 1:26pm
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:24pm
again again again

the lads choose to play for the roi because they do not see themselves as northern irish. can it get any simpler??
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

again again again

the lads choose to play for the roi because they do not see themselves as northern irish. can it get any simpler??

Amazing how slowly common-sense is absorbed by people Tom. Mind boggling.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

again again again

Make this a bloody sticky along with the flags anthem windsor park sh*te that is regulary trotted out here by people who know  sweet FA
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 3:11pm
The NI fans will never agree to a one team as they feel they will lose their identity. But so would we as we would lose our national anthem and our national flag. And realistically only 1 player out of  that squad would make out starting 11.

So do we give up our anthem and our fans and also taking on board the baggage that these supporters have?

At the moment we have a 32 country team and they have the scraps from 6 counties.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

again again again

Make this a bloody sticky along with the flags anthem windsor park sh*te that is regulary trotted out here by people who know  sweet FA

Thumbs Up
Antrim's Finest View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 4:44pm
This is worth noting and regurgitating the next time one of the GAWA muppets (or, for that matter, Nigel Worthington) whines about northerners opting for the Republic:

The only player on the pitch at any stage during the 5-0 Aviva Massacre who left one international Irish side to play for the other was Jonny Gorman, who defected north. Oh the irony!
trapforpresident View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 11:57am
after o neill statement today its obvious the ifa are going to  try put pressure on players who have declared for ireland to play for there pub team,should the fai issue a statement or some other body to remind the ifa of the right of people in the six counties to choose there nationality under the good friday agreement.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by trapforpresident trapforpresident wrote:

after o neill statement today its obvious the ifa are going to  try put pressure on players who have declared for ireland to play for there pub team,should the fai issue a statement or some other body to remind the ifa of the right of people in the six counties to choose there nationality under the good friday agreement.

no

and can i politely suggest you do some research before you post sh1te like that highlighted above. Thank you
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic