You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our Wee Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Northerner Northerner wrote:

Madferret and co, offended by everything and ashamed of nothing. Now stop going on about the UDR, it's an Irish Rangers badge and it says Irish Rangers below the badge. Keep deflecting.

Ah come off it Northener, we all like having you around the place to add a bit of flavour to the chat but is "...",  "yawn"  and the above lame answer the best you can come up with?? I provided all the necessary documentation to help make an informed reply either way.

The only one who "keeps deflecting" is yourself with your Sudoku gymnastics over whether it's worded Royal Irish Regiment or Royal Irish Rangers. I guess to continue might seem really pedantic on my part but it shows up the flaw at the heart of your "arguement" - You are continuing this line that the emblem on their club is that of the [Royal] Irish Rangers and you think that gets them off the hook somehow.

I have already pointed out, with a link to the UK MOD website, that the Royal Irish Rangers were merged with the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) in 1992 (22 years ago). Do you not understand the simple lineage here? 
Royal Ulster Rifles >> became the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) in 1970  >>  then merged with The Royal Irish Rangers in 1992 to form >> the current Royal Irish Regiment. Is that so difficult to understand? The clue is even in the name i.e., a combination of Royal Irish + Regiment from the two previous names. 
I have pointed out clearly already in picture form, that changes in the size of your woman's tits on the Harp aside, the emblems are identical for all these re-named outfits and the British Army themselves on the MOD website state their pride in the continued lineage. Do you think that all the soldiers & Officers in the UDR vanished into thin air in 1992 when their Regiment was re-named from Ulster Defence Regiment to Royal Irish Regiment??? No, they simply came under a new title. So they are one & the same outfit.

To go with your claim the emblem is that of the Royal Irish Rangers makes your arguement (and the case of the NISC) look even worse because the Royal Irish Rangers were merged (with the UDR) in 1992 during the conflict. That would mean the NI Supporters Club would be commemorating/endorsing a Battalion many of whose members were up to their neck in Loyalist Murder gangs during that time.  Surely by now you can see the inherent flaw in your arguement?

If the German International Supporters Club had an emblem to a Waffen SS Unit on their Official Supporters premises most people would find that unacceptable. I pointed out to you using Official CAIN Statistics, that the UDR and it's members were responsible, at conservative estimates, for the deaths of over 400 Irish Citizens. That doesn't even to begin to consider the likelihood that many of those Loyalists who killed another 800 Irish Citizens weren't in some way connected/supplied with information/weapons by the UDR. So in reality UDR/Royal Irish Rangers members are responsible for a far higher death toll.

As for your comment "ashamed of nothing", I presume that is a reference to Republican atrocities? I have been on record here should you wish to check old threads, that I have no problem unequivocally condemning deaths of civilians/non-combatants caused by the IRA, even where they were killed to use that phrase as collateral damage. I do feel ashamed that the IRA killed ANYONE who was not a direct participant in the conflict. I will go further. I would classify any death of a non-participant caused by the IRA as murder not merely a killing, because in my book murder is the unjustified killing of another person without just cause. In far, far too many cases the IRA members, despite the heated environment of the time, MURDERED innocent people, I have no problem saying or condemning that.

But that is not at the heart of this particular issue on the NI/OWC thread, nor is there any evidence to show any Official or UnOfficial Republic of Ireland Supporters Group endorse the IRA.
So is there any chance you would finally answer the question, is it acceptable that the Official NI Supporters Club are endorsing/commemorating mass murderers?
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 4:51pm
I still mind as a kid the UDR taking my dad out of the car late on night around south derry where my mum was from visting their and holding a gun to the back of his head during one of their checkpoints and hearing them laugh to each other about. they wanted answers about poeple whom he didnt even know.

i was pretty young at the time and the aul boy was white with fear when he got back in the card. he never was into politics and still never has been but if you mentioned them lot to him he curses them for all the scum that they were.
put em under pressure!
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:01pm
Is 'Northerner' not an Irish fan? I'm quite confused by this.... 
Zico View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Is 'Northerner' not an Irish fan? I'm quite confused by this.... 

Them un

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:08pm

According CAIN the UDR were responsible for 8 deaths.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/sutton/tables/Organisation_Responsible.html

According to CAIN 196 members of the UDR were killed.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/sutton/tables/Status.html

Don't worry about the facts though.

Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by dunloybhoy dunloybhoy wrote:

I still mind as a kid the UDR taking my dad out of the car late on night around south derry where my mum was from visting their and holding a gun to the back of his head during one of their checkpoints and hearing them laugh to each other about. they wanted answers about poeple whom he didnt even know.

i was pretty young at the time and the aul boy was white with fear when he got back in the card. he never was into politics and still never has been but if you mentioned them lot to him he curses them for all the scum that they were.

Agreed. Absolute thugs in State Uniforms nothing more. We will never find out the true extent of the terror & collusion they engaged in. Few ever prosecuted , All on State pensions whilst their living victims are left with the nightmares. Anyone who supports the Poppy Appeal needs to remember they are financing & comforting this type of filth into their old age.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Not nearly enough
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:16pm

Wrong again Gary and We know you hate being wrong about anything. I dislike arguing over deaths statistics but Check any credible sources again, the headline figure is not the real figure.I can get you more if you are struggling to understand.
For starters, see respected Journalist Anne Cadwallader's book Lethal Allies , it shows the UDR under their various guises as responsible for 120 deaths between 1972-76 alone;
Cadwallader's book reveals how RUC officers and members of the UDR were part of a gang operating from two farms in south Armagh and Tyrone. It was responsible for the deaths of 120 people between 1972 and 1976.

Nice to know we have another mud-guard apologist for hundreds of Irish Citizens deaths in our midst tho.

Edited by Madferret - 05 Dec 2014 at 5:17pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Wrong again Gary and We know you hate being wrong about anything. I dislike arguing over deaths statistics but Check any credible sources again, the headline figure is not the real figure.I can get you more if you are struggling to understand.
For starters, see respected Journalist Anne Cadwallader's book Lethal Allies , it shows the UDR under their various guises as responsible for 120 deaths between 1972-76 alone;
Cadwallader's book reveals how RUC officers and members of the UDR were part of a gang operating from two farms in south Armagh and Tyrone. It was responsible for the deaths of 120 people between 1972 and 1976.

Nice to know we have another mud-guard apologist for hundreds of Irish Citizens deaths in our midst tho.

You are the one who quoted CAIN.

If you are counting deaths caused by Loyalist terrorists some of whom were almost certainly helped by rogue UDR members then that is a different statistic. 

I'm not an apologist for any deaths but you seem to be totally one-sided or bought into the SF propaganda. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 5:51pm
Or refused to believe the anti republican propaganda. Whichever way you choose to look at it.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 6:24pm

Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

You are the one who quoted CAIN.

If you are counting deaths caused by Loyalist terrorists some of whom were almost certainly helped by rogue UDR members then that is a different statistic

I'm not an apologist for any deaths but you seem to be totally one-sided or bought into the SF propaganda. 

"Almost" certainly helped?? There seems to be some hesitation when you say that. They weren't just "helped", they committed the murders. Here I will put up the link to the The Glennane Gang who just them alone are believed responsible for 120 deaths in just 4 years. FOUR YEARS!!!
In fact seen as one or two people are either too lazy or don't want to face the facts I shall go one better, I will copy and paste it verbatim below so you can read at your leisure which of that gang was a member of the UDR. Are you going to go on all night and engage in more word game gymnastics like our Northern friend?
They weren't "helping" Loyalist gangs Gary, they were a Loyalist Gang

While we have you there, You might answer the same question Gary we have failed to get a direct answer for from our "straight talking Ulsterman"; Is it acceptable that the Official NISC endorse/commemorate mass murderers??

Again, a Yes/NO will suffice.

The following people, among others, have been implicated by Justice Barron and Professor Douglass Cassel in their respective reports as having been members of the Glenanne gang:

Key figures[edit]

• John Oliver Weir (born 1950, County Monaghan, Ireland) — an officer in the RUC's Special Patrol Group (an "anti-terrorist" unit) and former UVF volunteer. Weir was the son of a gamekeeper and was brought up on an estate near Castleblaney. He attended a Protestant boarding school in Dublin.[20] After joining the RUC in 1970 he worked at Strandtown RUC station in Belfast. In 1972, he was transferred to Armagh where he was recruited by the SPG on 1 August 1973. Following the Provisional IRA killing of two members of the security forces in 1974 and 1975, he was sent for his own safety to the SPG unit in Castlereagh, Belfast. On an unspecified date between January 1975 and September 1976, he joined the Glenanne gang.[21] Weir then spent six weeks at the Lisanelly Army base in Omagh; in 1976 he was promoted to the rank of sergeant and transferred to the Newry RUC station. He claimed to have been directly involved in the bomb attack at Tully's Bar in Belleek, the attempted bombing of Renaghan's Bar, Clontibret, County Monaghan, and to have visited the Glenanne farm regularly during the autumn of 1976. In November 1977, he was sent to Newtownhamilton RUC station. In 1980, he left the RUC upon his conviction for the 1977 killing of a Catholic civilian, William Strathearn, a chemist. He was released from prison in 1992. During and after his imprisonment he made a number of allegations incriminating his former associates in the Glenanne gang. His 1999 affidavit was published in the 2003 Barron Report on the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.[22]
  • William "Billy" McCaughey (died 2006) — a UVF volunteer and Armagh RUC SPG officer. He was a former member of the Ulster Special Constabulary. McCaughey was implicated by his colleague Weir in many Glenanne gang attacks such as the O'Dowd shootings, the assault on the Rock Bar, and he admitted to having kidnapped a Roman Catholic priest. McCaughey was convicted along with Weir for the killing of chemist William Strathearn and sentenced to 16 years imprisonment. McCaughey received a seven-year sentence for wounding Michael McGrath during the attack on the Rock Bar and was also sentenced on explosives and possession charges. He was also sentenced to three years' imprisonment for the kidnapping of Fr Hugh Murphy.[23]
  • Billy Hanna (c. 1929 – 27 July 1975, Lurgan, County Armagh) — founder of the UVF Mid-Ulster Brigade and its commander until July 1975; he had also served as a sergeant in the C Company, 11th Battalion UDR before being dismissed for providing intelligence to the UVF.[24] He was the gang's staff instructor. Colin Wallace maintained Hanna had organised the Dublin bombings in May 1974.[25] Journalist Joe Tiernan alleged that Hanna was a Military Intelligence agent. He was the person who had approached the Glenanne farm's owner for permission to use the property as an arms dump and bomb-making site. Hanna was shot dead outside his home in Lurgan in July 1975.[26]
  • Robin "The Jackal" Jackson (27 September 1948, Donaghmore, County Tyrone – 30 May 1998, Donaghcloney, County Down) — commander of the UVF Mid-Ulster Brigade from July 1975 to the early 1990s, Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) member and an alleged RUC Special Branch agent with ties to Military Intelligence.[5] He assumed leadership of the brigade upon the shooting death of Hanna, for which he was said by Tiernan to have been responsible.[27] Weir implicated Robin Jackson in a number of the gang's killings,[28] and has named him as having been a "key figure" in the gang.[29] Following the 1993 Yorkshire Television programme The Hidden Hand which implicated Jackson in the Dublin bombings but did not mention him by name, he was questioned. He denied involvement in the three car bombings which left 26 people dead.[30] and Miami Showband killings.[5] He was only convicted once (in 1981), for possession of a .22 pistol, a .38 revolver, a magazine, 13 rounds of ammunition, and hoods;[31][32] however, he was released after having served two years of a seven-year sentence. Jackson's fingerprints were found on a home-made silencer attached to a Luger pistol (serial number U 4) retrieved at Ted Sinclair's farm in 1976.[33]Jackson's name appeared on the Garda suspects list for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.[31] Jackson was named in court as one of the killers of William Strathern by Weir and McCaughey. The court was told by an RUC officer that Jackson and Kerr were not before the court as part of "operational strategy".[34]Jackson died of lung cancer in 1998.
  • Robert McConnell — a UVF volunteer and 2nd Battalion UDR corporal. The Barron Report lists him as one of the suspects in the Dublin bombings. He had alleged links to RUC Special Branch and Military Intelligence; and it was claimed he was controlled before and after the bombings by Robert Nairac.[35]McConnell was named by both Shields and McClure as being involved in the Donnelly's Bar killings. Weir states he took part in the John Francis Green shooting along with Robin Jackson and Harris Boyle.[36] He was named by Weir as the leading gunman in the Reavey family shootings.[37] McConnell was killed by the IRA on 5 April 1976.[38]
  • Laurence McClure — a UVF volunteer and RUC SPG officer, having joined the Armagh SPG in May 1975. He was a close neighbour of James Mitchell and owned a repair garage adjacent to the farm. McClure was named by Weir as having taken part in several sectarian attacks including those at Donnelly's Bar and Rock Bar, the latter for which he was convicted and received a two-year sentence, suspended for three years. Weir alleges that McClure had helped assemble the bombs used in Dublin.[39] McClure admitted being a getaway driver for those involved in the Donnelly's Bar bombing and to have waited in the car with Lily Shields; the two acting as a "courting couple".[40] McClure was charged with withholding information in relation to the Donnelly's Bar attack. The trial judge andDirector of Public Prosecutions (DPP) entered a nolle proseque against the charge.[23]
  • James Mitchell (1920 – May 2008) — an RUC reserve officer and the owner of the Glenanne farm. He joined the RUC reserve in September 1974 and was stationed at Markethill. He left the force on 1 July 1977 for "personal reasons".[41] Weir named him as a UVF member who regularly participated in paramilitary activities.[42] Weir claimed that Mitchell admitted being involved in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, and went on to claim that he had seen Mitchell mixing home-made ammonium-nitrate-and-fuel-oil explosive in the farmyard on one occasion.[43] He was convicted for possession of weapons found on his land after an RUC raid in December 1978. In an RUC interview on 9 August 2000, he staunchly denied Weir's allegations and referred to him as "a damned liar and convicted murderer".[44] Mitchell died, aged 88, in May 2008 at Daisy Hill Hospital, Newry.
  • Robert John "R.J". Kerr (c. 1943 – 7 November 1997) — UDA commander. He was charged with having weapons and ammunition in suspicious circumstances in 1972; later found guilty of 10 March 1973 armed robbery. Kerr was sentenced in 1974 in relation to the intimidation and assaulting of two men in 1973 and received 18 months in jail. Kerr was named as one of the killers of William Strathearn by Weir and McCaughey. The court was told by an RUC officer that Jackson and Kerr were not before the court as part of "police strategy".[31] He died in a mysterious explosion, his body having been found in the vicinity of a burnt-out boat that was being towed on a trailer on the main Newry to Warrenpoint Road.
  • Harris Boyle (1953, Portadown – 31 July 1975, Buskhill, County Down) — UDR soldier and UVF volunteer. Boyle was unmarried and worked as a telephone wireman. He was charged with having weapons and ammunition in suspicious circumstances in 1972. Boyle was killed when a bomb he had placed on the Miami Showband bus exploded prematurely.[45] He was implicated in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings,[46] and the killing of IRA volunteer John Francis Green in County Monaghan.[47] According to submissions received by Mr Justice Barron, the Monaghan bomb was assembled at his home on Festival Road in Portadown's Killycomain estate.[48]
  • Wesley Somerville (born County Tyrone – died 31 July 1975, Buskhill, County Down) — UDR soldier and a UVF lieutenant. He was a textile worker by trade. He was killed when a bomb he had placed on the Miami Showband bus exploded prematurely.[45] Wesley Somerville was also charged along with two others for kidnapping two bread deliverymen. The kidnapping charge was connected to a bomb attack at Mourne Crescent, Dungannon.[49] Weir named Somerville as having been involved in the 1974 bombing in Monaghan.[50]
  • Gary Armstrong — RUC Sergeant, given a two-year suspended sentence in relation to the kidnap of a priest, Father Hugh Murphy. Armstrong was named by Judge Barron as one of the group of RUC members who carried out the gun and bomb attack on the Rock Bar.[23]
  • Joseph Stewart Young — UVF volunteer from Portadown. His name appears on the Garda suspects list for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. John Weir claims that Young had been part of the unit that carried out the Monaghan bombing.[50] When questioned, Young denied the allegation.[51] He was also suspected of involvement in the attack on Donnelly's bar.[52]

Other members[edit]

• Captain John Irwin — UDR intelligence officer. Weir declares in his affidavit that Irwin provided the explosives for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, and delivered them to Mitchell's farm where they were then assembled.[53]
  • Thomas Raymond Crozier (born 1951, Lurgan, County Armagh) — Lance-Corporal in the C Company, 11th Battalion UDR, and UVF volunteer, he worked as a painting contractor. He was convicted in October 1976 in relation to the Miami Showband killings.[54] He was also arrested in 1975 along with Samuel Fulton Neil and Robin Jackson in possession of four shotguns.[49]
  • James Roderick McDowell (from Lurgan, County Armagh) — Sergeant in the C Company, 11th Battalion UDR,[45] and UVF volunteer, he was an optical worker; convicted in October 1976 in relation to Miami Showband killings.[54]
  • John James Somerville (from Moygashel, County Tyrone) — Former UDR soldier; brother of Wesley (see above); worked as a lorry-helper; convicted on 9 November 1981 in relation to the Miami Showband killings.[54] Somerville was also charged along with two others with kidnapping two bread deliverymen. The kidnapping charge was also connected to a bomb attack at Mourne Crescent in Dungannon. He was also convicted of an armed robbery on a CIE bus in Aughnacloy and causing approximately £12,000 worth of damage to the bus.[49] He is named by Weir as having been involved in the Monaghan bombing.[50]
  • Sarah Elizabeth "Lily" Shields — Mitchell's housekeeper. She was named by Weir as having provided the getaway car for those who attacked McArdle's Bar and Donnelly's Bar.[55] Charges were later brought against her for withholding information regarding the latter attack. However, the trial judge and DPP brought anolle prosequi against the charge in April 1981.[56]
  • Norman Greenlee — UDR soldier and UVF volunteer. The Star pistol (serial number 344164) used in a number of Glenanne gang attacks was found at Greenlee's farm in Richhill, County Armagh in 1979. A large number of other weapons and ammunition was also found. He subsequently received a seven-year sentence for possessing the weapons and a concurrent four-year sentence for UVF membership.[54]
  • George Moore was found guilty of the attempted killing of Patrick Turley, assault and possession of a gun and ammunition.[54]
  • Gordon Liggett — Ulster Defence Association (UDA) commander. He was found guilty of causing grievous and actual bodily harm to Patrick Turley; as well as armed robbery and possession of a gun and ammunition.[38]
  • William Ashton Wright — UDR soldier. He was charged with having weapons and ammunition in suspicious circumstances in 1972. He was later found guilty of armed robbery, which had taken place on 10 March 1973. Wright was sentenced in 1974 in relation to the intimidation and assaulting of two men in 1973 and received a six-month suspended sentence.[54]
  • George Hyde — charged in connection with the attempted murder of Patrick Turley; he was later found beaten to death in prison.[54]
  • Edward "Ted" Sinclair (from Dungannon, County Tyrone) was convicted of possession of a Luger pistol (serial number U 4), a .38 ACP pistol, homemade machine guns, gelignite and ammunition in 1976. Released in 1979. Arrested in 1980 and charged with possession of a .45 revolver and ammunition. However, charges were withdrawn by the DPP. Sinclair was also charged with the 1976 killings of Peter and Jane McKearney (a married couple mistakenly believed to be the parents of an IRA volunteer with the same surname, Margaret McKearney, although there was no relation).[57] In 1982 (the following year), these charges were also dropped by the DPP.[38]
  • Garnet James Busby was convicted of the killings of Peter and Jane McKearney (see above). He was also convicted of the killings of Andrew Small, James McCaughey, Joseph Kelly and Patrick Barnard at the Hillcrest Bar in Dungannon. He planted the bomb at O'Neill's Bar in Dungannon. During his trial an RUC inspector told the court that the same UVF gang was responsible for the attack on the Miami Showband.[38]
  • William Parr was convicted of Denis Mullen's killing.[38]
  • Billy Corrigan was named as taking part in Denis Mullen's killing during the trial of William Parr. Corrigan was killed by the IRA in 1976.[38]
  • Henry Garfield Liggett was convicted of the killing of Patrick McNeice.[38]
  • Dorothy Mullan was convicted of driving the car to the site of Patrick McNeice's killing.[38]
  • Garfield Gerard Beattie was convicted of the killings of Denis Mullan, Jim McLoughlin and Patrick McNeice at the Eagle Bar in Charlemont; also convicted of the attempted killings of other patrons in the Eagle Bar.[38]
  • David Henry Kane was convicted of the killing of Jim McLoughlin and the attempted killings of the other patrons in the Eagle Bar.[58]
  • Joey Lutton — UDR soldier convicted of the attacks on the Eagle Bar and Clancy's Bar in Charlemont.[59]
  • Samuel Fulton Neill (died 25 January 1976) — brother-in-law of Robin Jackson, arrested in 1975 alongside Jackson and Thomas Crozier in possession of four shotguns. He was fatally shot five times in the head after leaving a Portadown pub, allegedly by Jackson, for having passed on information to the police about the people involved in the Miami Showband attack.[49][60]
  • Trevor Barnard was charged along with two others with the kidnapping of two bread deliverymen. The kidnapping charge was also linked to a bomb attack at Mourne Crescent in Dungannon.[49]
  • Laurence Tate — UDR soldier. He was convicted along with two others of the bombing of an empty bungalow near Dungannon. He was also convicted of the bombing of Killen's Bar in Dungannon. He was arrested as part of the Miami Showband investigation.[49]
  • Harold Henry McKay was convicted along with two others of the bombing of an empty bungalow near Dungannon. Also convicted of the bombing of Killen's Bar in Dungannon. He was arrested as part of the Miami Showband investigation.[49]
  • John Nimmons was convicted along with two others of the bombing of an empty bungalow near Dungannon. Also convicted of the bombing of Killen’s Bar in Dungannon. He was arrested as part of the Miami Showband investigation.[49]
  • William Thomas Leonard — UDR soldier convicted of the killings of James and Gertrude Devlin, a married couple. He was also convicted of the bombing of Killen's Bar in Dungannon, and of an armed robbery on a CIE bus in Aughnacloy which caused approximately £12,000 worth of damage to the bus.[49]
  • Sammy McCoo was named by McClure and Shields as being involved in the attack on Donnelly’s bar. McCoo’s name later appeared on the Garda suspects list for the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.[61]
  • Ian Mitchell — RUC officer, received a two-year sentence, suspended for three years in relation to the attack on the Rock Bar. Ian Mitchell was one of the investigating officers into the killings of Betty McDonald and Gerald McGleenan the Step Inn, Keady, County Armagh.[61]
  • David Wilson — RUC officer, received a one-year sentence, suspended for two years in relation to the attack on the Rock Bar.[61]
  • Alexander McCaughey — father of Billy McCaughey, given a one-year suspended sentence in relation to the kidnapping of Fr. Murphy.[23]

The gang has also been linked to Military Intelligence Liaison officer Captain Robert Nairac who worked for 14th Intelligence Company (The Det).[5] On The Hidden Hand programme made by Yorkshire Television in 1993, it was claimed that Robin Jackson was controlled by Nairac and 14th Intelligence.[62] In May 1977, Nairac was kidnapped by the IRA in Dromintee and taken across the border into the Republic of Ireland where he was shot dead by Liam Townson in Ravensdale Woods,County Louth.[63]

Merlyn ReesSecretary of State for Northern Ireland, lifted the proscription against the UVF on 4 April 1974,[64] but it was made illegal once again on 3 October 1975; therefore, during the period between April 1974 and October 1975, membership of the UVF was not a crime. The largest loyalist paramilitary group in Northern Ireland, the Ulster Defence Association (UDA) was also not proscribed at the time.[65]

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 12:05pm
How anyone could have lifted proscription to the UVF (or any organisation like it) is beyond me.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 5:52pm
Out of curiosity went on to the website, this was in the message on the homepage;

"If you have an unusual username or odd email address..."

So basically a ".ie" email address then LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic