You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia v Ireland - 2 September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 47>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:27am
Id also go with Walters up top, McClean and Brady on the wings, Long and McGeady introduced sometime in the 2nd half
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:28pm
Yes, Long's inclusion from the start might depend on him getting some game-time with Southampton/new club.  I'm assuming he'll get that between now and September.  
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Randolph
         Duffy             Clark
Christie                            Ward
        Whelan/Arter/McCarthy
Hendrick Brady
Walters                         McClean
Long

With Hoolahan and McGeady to come on second half when he'll get more space against tired legs; as well as one from Murphy/Hogan/Maguire.

Hendrick and Brady did very well in slightly more central roles in Euro 2016.  

McClean has been our player of the qualifying so far; and offers a lot more defensively than the other options.  

Jonny Walter is Jonny Walters (and does well for us in that auxillary winger / striker role MON pops him in to.  

Long is our best striker when fit, and fastest player in the PL; will keep defences honest and take away their ability to compress space.  

Would be happy with whoever is in best form for the holding role of Arter, Whelan, McCarthy.  

Back four pick themselves and keeper is go with the man in the jersey.   

Agree with this. I think Arter will start in the deeper midfield role to be honest with Hendrick and Brady either side. Long is pivotal to much of our games away from home- his pace makes defenders think and means as you say teams can be cautious to push up and compress space. This IMO will be the game that makes or breaks our campaign. A win and we will top the group I think.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:40pm
Walters played in that auxiliary winger/striker role v Germany and v Bosnia at home.  

He did alright in those games...
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:43pm
They were up to it a few months ago, they're still up to it now. He's not lightning quick, but Walters can still motor up and down the wing for 90 minutes.
We're decent enough..
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 9:01pm
Before every game you all say walters on the wing, and aftwr every game we say he's finished out wide needs to play centrally, people seen to forget these things in the gaps between our games.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 9:39pm
I'd be starting Walters up front instead of long.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 9:44pm
I always found Walters was wasted on the wing. Fair enough he can slot in there if needs be but he's a striker and should be played there unless we're stuck out wide. It would make more sense to play Long on the right over Walters given his pace.

I would start Walters and bring Long on after.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I always found Walters was wasted on the wing. Fair enough he can slot in there if needs be but he's a striker and should be played there unless we're stuck out wide. It would make more sense to play Long on the right over Walters given his pace.

This, why cant long start out wide and walters up top, makes all the sense, long has the speed to play wide, it seems the obvious choice
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:51pm
What MON tends to do is have him half-and-half striker and winger.  

When we're defending he goes to the wing, but when attacking down the left, gets in the box like a striker, and free to do the same if coming down the right as Coleman was apt to do.  

Murphy did the same auxiliary role in the Euros and McClean has done the same for us on occasion as well (though nearly all in friendlies).
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Exactly. Waltars is by far our best finisher, Long tires himself out everytime he starts but is a great trick to have up our sleeve going into the last 20/25 minutes with his pace and a tired opposing defence.

Waltars to wear them our, Long to capitalize, no brainer.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:55pm
Don't think there's a whole lot of difference between Long and Walters finishing ability, they have roughly comparable goalscoring records, around 1/4.
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:59pm
Walters for me is a much better finisher.  EIRE legend.  Long is a super sub.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Don't think there's a whole lot of difference between Long and Walters finishing ability, they have roughly comparable goalscoring records, around 1/4.
Finishing ability doesn't always equate to neat ratios and statistics, especially when Walters has often been deployed in a role that highlights his finishing ability, or lack of it. If Scott Hogan, for example, joins our player pool, he would be, by some distance, our best finisher; but will we play a system that would allow him to show that?

If we are to have one chance fall to someone, to win the game  against Serbia, I would rather it fell to Walters than Long. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:38pm
Agree.

I think Walters is a better finisher than Long. What Walters lacks in pace he makes up for in intelligence. I don't think he gets enough credit for the positions he takes up and actual control taking a high ball down. He's a lot more than just workhorse.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Finishing ability doesn't always equate to neat ratios and statistics, especially when Walters has often been deployed in a role that highlights his finishing ability, or lack of it. If Scott Hogan, for example, joins our player pool, he would be, by some distance, our best finisher; but will we play a system that would allow him to show that?

If we are to have one chance fall to someone, to win the game  against Serbia, I would rather it fell to Walters than Long. 

For the record, Walters ratio is more like 1/5, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it'd be as good as Longs if he was a full-time striker rather than a winger/striker. I really think there's very little between them.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

For the record, Walters ratio is more like 1/5, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it'd be as good as Longs if he was a full-time striker rather than a winger/striker. I really think there's very little between them.
One chance to beat Serbia, last-minute of the game, who would you want it to fall to?
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:55pm
Here's how the Georgia team could line out,

Seeing how a win here would lead into a top of the group showdown, the team needs all the confidence it can get. Then again, confidence and the Irish mentality don't really mix that well, and perhaps it's better to feel like the plucky underdog. Cultivating that mentality by clinging onto a 1 goal lead v. Georgia wouldn't be ideal as it's really walking a fine line, though. I think many of us are wondering when Ireland's perfect record v. Georgia will get a black mark on it. There's nothing in their form this campaign to suggest it'll happen now, but I take that as no guarantee of anything. 

A relatively easy dismissal of Georgia and a commanding performance v. Serbia are musts for Ireland to look like a team who'll win the group by right. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 47>
  Share Topic