Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55392
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 8:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Georgia v Ireland - 2 September
Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Subject: Georgia v Ireland - 2 September
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:28pm
We've no suspensions for this one, and only Coleman guaranteed out at this stage.  Georgia have Kankava, a defensive midfielder, out.  

In our favour is that Georgia's slim chance of second is effectively over after drawing with Moldova.  But on the other hand, they do owe us one...

Replies:
Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:45pm
Georgia owe us one and i fear its going to come in september but if were any good we should be winning this game

its going to be a tough one 

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:57pm
If i have to listen to georgia owe us one till sept ill go off my head. No they dont owe us one. They get what these deserve. If we play half decent we should win the game.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

If i have to listen to georgia owe us one till sept ill go off my head. No they dont owe us one. They get what these deserve. If we play half decent we should win the game.
+1. Does my f**king head in.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Banjaxed
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 11:14pm
Agreed. They just drew 2-2 with Moldova. These teams should be put to the sword. Wales, for one, know this. A Uruguay type performance would have them dead and buried.

We need to stop giving certain teams more respect than they deserve. It's getting boring now, this whole Georgia are out to get us sh!te.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 11:20pm
Watched highlights of Georgia vs Moldova, they were shocking. if we don't come away with 3 points then i'd be massively surprised.

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 11:36pm
Georgia have 3 points in this group. 

We really have to be beating them. Moldova have drawn with them twice.

Wales fans are really kicking themselves over dropping points to Georgia, especially after that draw with Moldova today.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: Georgi
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 3:17am
Hello peeps, It's almost been a year already. I'll just give a few updates to the folks here, who seem convinced that you guys will definitely win against us in September.

don't be deceived by our performances, we've been missing our best players. Plus we never play well against teams that are our level or weaker. We like to step it up against bigger guys.

Having said that here's how you can predict the outcome of the Septembers encounter.

when the time comes look for these names in Georgia roster:
Okriashvili - Great attacking threat + scores a lot
Ananidze - Top playmaker
Arabidze - Future top playmaker
Mchedlidze - Has found his scoring touch this year
Kakabadze - Good wing back
Gvilia - Defensive midfield, very good passer

if they're all there that means we will have a good chance to win(and I mean actual good chance not some deluded fanboy bs) and we will go all out. If not that means we're either full of injuries or we're just experimenting for future which means comfy win for Ireland.

Oh and, we do owe you.... more than one

either way good luck.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:34am
While this is no guarantee, we should be beat Georgia. They have one of the worst defences I've seen in international football. Walters was isolated until Murphy came on yesterday. We need to have two up front from the start against these.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

While this is no guarantee, we should be beat Georgia. They have one of the worst defences I've seen in international football. Walters was isolated until Murphy came on yesterday. We need to have two up front from the start against these.
I don't know Frank, they do owe us one....

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:39am
Agreed. 4-4-2 against these and smash them from the start. Will I be nervous, yes. But if we don't get 3 points out there we don't deserve to go to Russia.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:39am

Agree, wasn't until Murphy came on that he actually got support and the headers he was winning weren't just aimless knockdowns to no one

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:40am
They owe us f**k all! 3 points..........

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:41am
Murphy has no mobility. Honest lad but offers little other than holding up play.

We missed Long last night badly.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:41am
Only thing though is with Murphy and Walters we had feck all pace up there, hopefully Long is fit so he can play off Walters as I'd think that would work a hell of a lot better.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Georgi Georgi wrote:

Hello peeps, It's almost been a year already. I'll just give a few updates to the folks here, who seem convinced that you guys will definitely win against us in September.

don't be deceived by our performances, we've been missing our best players. Plus we never play well against teams that are our level or weaker. We like to step it up against bigger guys.

Having said that here's how you can predict the outcome of the Septembers encounter.

when the time comes look for these names in Georgia roster:
Okriashvili - Great attacking threat + scores a lot
Ananidze - Top playmaker
Arabidze - Future top playmaker
Mchedlidze - Has found his scoring touch this year
Kakabadze - Good wing back
Gvilia - Defensive midfield, very good passer

if they're all there that means we will have a good chance to win(and I mean actual good chance not some deluded fanboy bs) and we will go all out. If not that means we're either full of injuries or we're just experimenting for future which means comfy win for Ireland.

Oh and, we do owe you.... more than one

either way good luck.

Good man Georgi Burgess Thumbs Up

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don't know Frank, they do owe us one....
AngryLOL

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:44am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Agreed. 4-4-2 against these and smash them from the start. Will I be nervous, yes. But if we don't get 3 points out there we don't deserve to go to Russia.

Totally agree.

If we line up 4-5-1 and draw with them its our own fault.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Totally agree.

We don't have two central midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, or two strikers either!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:56am

Totally agree.

We don't have two central midfielders good enough to play 4-4-2, or two strikers either!

We are playing Georgia FFS - they are ranked outside the top 100.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:57am

Totally agree.

So who do you play in the centre and up top? Even against Georgia we would struggle in a 4-4-2, that is the reality.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 10:00am

Totally agree.

So who do you play in the centre and up top? Even against Georgia we would struggle in a 4-4-2, that is the reality.

McCarthy and Arter up front Walters and Long

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Totally agree.

McCarthy and Arter up front Walters and Long
So spend the game hoofing the ball at Walters and hope Long gets in behind?

-------------

Posted By: GreenDodger93
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 2:53pm

Totally agree.

Yup

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 3:11pm
Let's be serious here. We don't pass the ball great at times even though we can. We tend to more panic. 

We hoofed against Germany and beat them. 

The goal against Austria was a hoof and we scored. 

It's not pretty but I believe start with good intentions yes, but it it's not working f**k it and go for it. Commit to the f**king hoof. Nothing is more frustrating that actually hoofing it, big Jon winning all the 1st ball and we have nothing / no one on the 2nd ball.

How many times was that the case yesterday. 

Posted By: Cathalthesmart
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm
Randolph

Christie
Clark
Long
Ward

Brady
Arter
McCarthy
McClean

Long
Walters

That would be my team.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 3:45pm
Can't wait until Clark is back

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Posted By: The Whisperer
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

Can't wait until Clark is back

A sentence I thought id never hear from our fans. 

However, I agree with you totally. Duffy's recent form and in general clumsiness is a huge concern IMO. Long looks ok but no more than that. Clark definitely our number 1 CB in our squad IMHO. 

Is he back from injury for our Georgia yeah?

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:17pm
If we can't beat Georgia, we don't deserve to qualify for the World Cup.

Who were the last team who qualified for a World Cup in Europe who didn't get six points against the sixth seed in their group?

I still think we will win, mind.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
Actually, scratch that. Wales were sixth seeds in the 2014 qualifiers and Belgium drew with them in Brussels. Switzerland drew with Iceland at home as well.

Still, I think we'll have enough and that we'll have to have enough. If we don't beat them, I don't think we'll make it through.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:01am
Ward, Whelan, Duffy, Walters, Brady, McGeady, Meyler and Christie (and technically Coleman too). All of them are one yellow away from a suspension. It'll almost be easier to figure out who isn't a yellow card away once we see the starting lineup for Georgia, given that six of those above may well start.

Important with Serbia to follow. All going well they'll all avoid yellows in Georgia.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:10am
Clark and Duffy are awful players. Stupid decision making from both and Duffy is attrocious on the ball. One of the worst displays I ever saw. Literally booted the ball into the stand 3 or 4 times when attempting a pass yesterday

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 1:35am
Georgia had 62% possession in Lansdowne last year and we played with a 5 man midfield so I find it hard to contemplate what 4-4-2 could lead to

Playing 4-4-2 may well work but on the evidence I'd go with 5 and think he will do too.

One thing is for certain, it'll be a long 90 minutes.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Georgia had 62% possession in Lansdowne last year and we played with a 5 man midfield so I find it hard to contemplate what 4-4-2 could lead to

Playing 4-4-2 may well work but on the evidence I'd go with 5 and think he will do too.

One thing is for certain, it'll be a long 90 minutes.

Thats a given - it will be extremely ugly and a very long 90 mins.
I just feel with our hoof ball tactics you need to have two upfront.

-------------

Posted By: skinnymalinx
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 8:47am
I would fear that MON will once again show his defensive stripes, and will leave wes on the bench, with just one man up front for 65 mins.
We will probably go 1 down before he changes it, and it will end up in a frustrating 1:1 draw.

-------------
beware the ides of march

Posted By: newrynyuk
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:09am
We should worry.  Although our record against Georgia is played seven, won seven, I don't recall any of those seven being convincing victories.  Especially away.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

We should worry.  Although our record against Georgia is played seven, won seven, I don't recall any of those seven being convincing victories.  Especially away.

Republic of Ireland Match Results Against Georgia

Date
Venue
Competition Result
Score
29-Mar-2003 Tblisi, Georgia Euro Qualifier Win
2 - 1
11-Jun-2003 http://www.soccer-ireland.com/football-grounds/lansdowne-road.htm" rel="nofollow - Lansdowne Road , Dublin Euro Qualifier Win
2 - 0
06-Sep-2008 Mainz, Germany WC Qualifier Win
2 - 1
11-Feb-2009 Croke Park , Dublin WC Qualifier Win
2 - 1
02-Jun-2013 Aviva Stadium, Dublin Friendly Win
4 - 0
07-Sep-2014 Tblisi, Georgia Euro Qualifier Win 2 - 1
07-Sep-2015 http://www.soccer-ireland.com/football-grounds/aviva-stadium.htm" rel="nofollow - Aviva Stadium , Dublin Euro Qualifier Win 1 - 0
06-Oct-2016 Aviva Stadium, Dublin WC Qualifier Win 1 - 0

I know it was a friendly and they had a man sent off but that 4-0 win was quite convincing.

I'd go for a 2-1 win again

Posted By: greenlad
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:16am
I just don't get it lads, we are never going to play nice football in a competitive match so the sooner people realise this and accept it the better for them. Our strength is our physicality on the pitch so we have to play to that.

Posted By: Gabrieléire
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:18am
We need to start attacking. Get out and get an early goal to calm any nerves. I know we are all abit nervous for this one but I think we will get the win, 2-0 for me.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:33pm
We must win in Georgia; and following that a win against Serbia in Dublin would put us in control of our destiny to top the group. 

Surely a preferable situation to go for the win against a Serbia team, rather than a chance at second and go to the play-offs.  As an unseeded team, on current standings, we would end up against a Portugal/France/Italy/Iceland.  Slim chance of success against the first three.  Therefore, Serbia could be akin to an (easier) play-off game itself. 

They've no big injuries.  

We'll have Coleman out, and possibly McCarthy, though too early to say.  We also have a rake of lads on yellows, and you can bet we'll pick up more in Tblisi, which will no doubt shorten our options for Dublin.

Tblisi will be a big ask and take a lot out of the tank.  Four hour time difference, playing in the summer heat against a tidy team who will feel they can beat us and "owe us one".  Back in Dublin against the Serbs not three days later.  Compared to the Serbs' home game against minnows, Moldova, it's not ideal preparation.  

With most of our eleven likely to appear for PL teams tomorrow and seemingly recovering some form, there is no doubting we can win both.  But Serbia (and Georgia) will be confident of the same.

"Squeaky bum time".  

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:44pm
Any news when O'Neill will announce the squad for this match?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:58pm
Whelan, Ward, (Coleman), Walters, Duffy, Meyler, McGeady, Christie, Brady

Vukovic, Stefan Mitrovic, Tadic, Matic

Those are the players at risk of suspension with one yellow card. We really, really want Matic to miss out, whatever about the others. He is totally capable of running the show, like he did in the friendly a few years back.

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 11:28pm
Really uncomfortable about this match.

We've pushed our luck against them in recent times and they're getting better every game they play

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:17am
Totally agree with Coyne. Its extraordinary how many times we have wobbled over the banana skin, but have never fallen flat on our faces. The game in June 2003 is about the only game against Georgia where I was genuinely comfortable, and our last two performances against them have been woeful at best. However, we have always beaten them, and the nature of our current team would suggest to me that we have enough in the tank to beat them again. Also, I have often felt we have been more comfortable against them away, as opposed to at home.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:30am
Hardly any team has it easy against them. But they almost all beat them. Another scrappy, ugly, unconvincing win will do fine.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Posted By: ringerbell
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

We've pushed our luck against them in recent times and they're getting better every game they play

Would have to disagree that they are getting better with every game they played. Since they played us in Dublin the only result of note they have had is the draw in Cardiff.They have been beat by Serbia and drew twice with Moldova in their last 3 games

If Moldova can get a result (ok only a draw) against them then we should be capable of getting 3 points over there no matter how scrappy the game is

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Would have to disagree that they are getting better with every game they played. Since they played us in Dublin the only result of note they have had is the draw in Cardiff.They have been beat by Serbia and drew twice with Moldova in their last 3 games

If Moldova can get a result (ok only a draw) against them then we should be capable of getting 3 points over there no matter how scrappy the game is

Hmm.. Fair point. It's true that their results aren't backing up what I said but from what I saw from when they played against Serbia, they are a credible threat - Should of gone 2-0 up and Serbia were awarded a very unfair penalty which ended up being the turning point. Then they go let themselves down by going 2-0 down to Moldova at 1 stage the following game LOL

I don't think they'll be beating Serbia in Belgrade or Austria in Vienna but the other 2 remaining Home games I have a feeling they'll get something from either 1 of them.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:00am
They're no more due a result us than we are due a win over Brazil. We've won each game with them because we've found a way to win and simply because we are a better side than they are. They make it tough on everyone but come up with little to show for it. We should be winning this.

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 3:32am
Merge threads?

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 7:04am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

They're no more due a result us than we are due a win over Brazil. We've won each game with them because we've found a way to win and simply because we are a better side than they are. They make it tough on everyone but come up with little to show for it. We should be winning this.

"They're no more due a result us than we are due a win over Brazil" That's not how sport works I'm afraid, we weren't comfortable in most of those games but we won because we had the belief to win and composure to win on the other hand they didn't.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:45am
Yah merge the threads. Wouldn't show up on the Google search.

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:02am
Cathal, before you start contradicting Pythagoras's theorem, what do you think the score will be?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:05am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Cathal, before you start contradicting Pythagoras's theorem, what do you think the score will be?

That's for me to know and you never to find out.
Do you even know what Pythagoras's theorem is or are you just saying that just to try give the impression that your intelligent?

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:11am
I do.

I'm just in awe at your ability to be right, allegedly.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:26am
Cathal if you're going to question someone else's intelligence, you'd want to make sure you're using the appropriate 'you're'not "your intelligent?"

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:26am

I do.

I'm just in awe at your ability to be right, allegedly.

I suspect you trying to change the subject indicates you don't, not that I'm surprised. Writing is just fine, possibly you not being able to read which goes hand in hand with you not knowing Pythagoras's theorem.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:28am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Cathal if you're going to question someone else's intelligence, you'd want to make sure you're using the appropriate 'you're'not "your intelligent?"

Interestingly enough your trying to distract as much from the argument as possible, that pRob ably say's more about you than anything.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:30am
I'm not changing the subject, I answered your question, and followed it up with the reason I asked you the question in the first place!

I'm going with a 1-0 to Ireland followed by a 1-1 with Serbia

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Interestingly enough your trying to distract as much from the argument as possible, that pRob ably say's more about you than anything.

What are you rambling on about now?

Why would I distract from an argument Im not engaged in?! I wasn't even arguing with you over your post on the match. You're questioning someone else's intelligence while at the same time, not using proper English in your post.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:59am

Do you even know what Pythagoras's theorem is or are you just saying that just to try give the impression that your intelligent?
He does a better f**king impression than you do anyway!

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:35pm

Yep hell of a player , did well in the Greek league last season i have been told Evil Smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:06pm
Can't be arsed with individual threads but having watched United away to M'boro, well struggled through it some thoughts on Irish involved -

Randolph, may as well have stayed on summer holidays all he had to do but 2 decent smart saves made when called upon, would perhaps question his position for the goal incorrectly called offside

Christie- actually a really good battle with Enda Steven's all night I thought, first half was pretty even between them but second half Steven's pushed on forward and Christie seriously found wanting imo Steven's could push on to challenge for a squad place in a while, been impressing Wilder in preseason so should get a good run. (know it's Stevens but can't be arsed correcting the phone haha)

The game also proved why Samir Carruthers will be no where near a squad for a while, was busy but shocking first touch, another Stephen Quinn but without the touch.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:19pm

He needs to do a better job anyway.

-------------
Hi Lads

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:12pm
Squad announced in the morning , well the 100 man extended squad

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Squad announced in the morning , well the 100 man extended squad
I wonder will John Mckenna get in

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 12:51pm
Am happy to see Maguire and Liam Kelly in the initial squad.

Posted By: adineen98
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 12:54pm

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 12:57pm
No Andy Boyle.  Maguire in, and Kevin Doyle.  No offence to Doyle but how is he even near the squad anymore?

-------------

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:02pm
When will it be whittled down?

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:06pm
Obviously missing McCarthy and Coleman which was to be expected. I really hope Alan Judge can make some headway soon in getting back to full strength. I think it is a little early to start arguing that Declan Rice should be there, but in time, and provided Bilic continues to utilise him he will be an asset. Otherwise, the final squad picks itself, from my point of view anyway.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

No Andy Boyle.  Maguire in, and Kevin Doyle.  No offence to Doyle but how is he even near the squad anymore?

Because he is an option should any injuries occur and he is a striker albeit I do agree he doesn't really offer much, but think he is there just in case.

If i'm right in saying Boyle is injured

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:11pm
16 players will be cut, I think that this will be the final squad (barring any injuries):

Randolph, Westwood, Elliot

Christie, Keogh, Pearce, Duffy, Clark, O'Shea, Ward, Long

McGeady, McClean, Whelan, Hourihane, Hendrick, Brady, McCarthy, Arter, Hoolahan,

Walters, Long, Murphy

I've seen some reports saying Shane Long and McCarthy might miss these matches through injury so if they're unavailable I could see either Meyler or O'Kane coming in for McCarthy, and Maguire coming in for Long

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Obviously missing McCarthy and Coleman which was to be expected. I really hope Alan Judge can make some headway soon in getting back to full strength. I think it is a little early to start arguing that Declan Rice should be there, but in time, and provided Bilic continues to utilise him he will be an asset. Otherwise, the final squad picks itself, from my point of view anyway.

McCarthy is in the squad and should make the game. 

With regards to the georgia game I would love to see him start a slightly experimental team, one with McGeady in behind the strikers in order to save wessi for the serbs the tuesday night. 

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

With regards to the georgia game I would love to see him start a slightly experimental team, one with McGeady in behind the strikers in order to save wessi for the serbs the tuesday night. 

we need to start the strongest team possible in Georgia and no experimenting. We need 3 points from this game 

Posted By: GB 1HughJarse
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:16pm
Georgians have played about 20 games in their domestic league.
How many of the intl' team play domestic football.
Any injury worries for them?

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:18pm
Georgia owe us one big time. Murphy's law and all that.

Experimenting would be mental. Take each game as they come despite being a double header; strongest XI end of.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:18pm

Agreed, think McGeady deserves a start for us and this is the perfect setting after his last game here.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Experimenting would be mental. Take each game as they come despite being a double header; strongest XI end of.

That and playing in a New Balance kit. Can you really see us playing at the World Cup wearing New Balance?  No.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:23pm

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:30pm

Pretty much nailed on.

*Whoever suggested that we experiment in Tbilisi is completely nuts LOL

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:36pm

Pretty much nailed on.

*Whoever suggested that we experiment in Tbilisi is completely nuts LOL

Irish Major, thanks for pointing out McCarthy. Totally missed that myself.

Totally agree Coyne. No experimentation is required here. The only change which should be contemplated from the starting team against Austria is to go with the two strikers, which changed the course of the game after a very constipated first half, where there formation and team looked disjointed, particularly between the midfield and the front.

Another alternative is to have Brady at left back, but i'm not entirely convinced that Ward should be dropped from the starting lineup. He struggled against Austria, but with the right formation, I think he will have more protection, and can focus on his defensive game.

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:49pm

We just need a win & make Tuesday(Sep 5th) night a cup final.

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:03pm

I was reading last week that the bone is healing nicely after his second operation. He was out in the states getting specialist treatment and things are looking much better. The club are hopeful that after another assessment this week he'll be able to begin training. I think if we see him on the pitch this side of Christmas would be a major plus.

One of the most gifted Irish midfielder's players I've seen in the flesh. Fingers crossed he's able to return to the pitch and revive his career.

http://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2017/august/injury-update-20170806/" rel="nofollow - http://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2017/august/injury-update-20170806/

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

16 players will be cut, I think that this will be the final squad (barring any injuries):

Randolph, Westwood, Elliot

Christie, Keogh, Pearce, Duffy, Clark, O'Shea, Ward, Long

McGeady, McClean, Whelan, Hourihane, Hendrick, Brady, McCarthy, Arter, Hoolahan,

Walters, Long, Murphy

I've seen some reports saying Shane Long and McCarthy might miss these matches through injury so if they're unavailable I could see either Meyler or O'Kane coming in for McCarthy, and Maguire coming in for Long
Myler will be a cert to be in the squad so ahead of Hourihane from that pick you have i would think

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:34pm
If you really have to pick 40-man squads, and in a situation where we need to bring the average age of the squad down (failure to do so is simply storing up problems for the future), it would have made a good deal more sense to pick young prospects like Cullen - who had a very good pre-season with West Ham, is obviously well thought of, has recently signed a new long-term contract, and is starting games on-loan at Bolton - as well as Rice; obviously a very highly-rated prospect, is versatile, and is gaining valuable playing time in the Premier League, ahead of some of the deadwood he's named, some of whom are sitting on the bench or in the stand for their clubs in the Championship, and are unlikely to offer much nor improve.

The marginalising of Cillian Sheridan is similarly disappointing; the message seemingly being: no matter how well you're playing, if you're not playing in the UK you're going to be ignored.

Maguire being picked having barely made a couple of appearances for PNE is eye-rollingly predictable but not unwelcome. Kelly's inclusion is positive, but with the form he's in and the promise he shows, he'd be difficult for anyone to overlook.

At least Gleeson's been left out this time round. He hasn't been a regular for months and appears on the verge of a move to a newly-promoted League 1 team in Portsmouth.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:46pm
For the life of me I don't get how Doyle is picked.

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:47pm
I must say its nice to see that we have picked a striker in the squad who won't be in his thirties before the year is out! 

-------------
Hi Lads

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:48pm
Not the most trusted of sources i know but wiki has Liam Kelly down as 5'5 1/2. Anybody confirm?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

If you really have to pick 40-man squads, and in a situation where we need to bring the average age of the squad down (failure to do so is simply storing up problems for the future), it would have made a good deal more sense to pick young prospects like Cullen - who had a very good pre-season with West Ham, is obviously well thought of, has recently signed a new long-term contract, and is starting games on-loan at Bolton - as well as Rice; obviously a very highly-rated prospect, is versatile, and is gaining valuable playing time in the Premier League, ahead of some of the deadwood he's named, some of whom are sitting on the bench or in the stand for their clubs in the Championship, and are unlikely to offer much nor improve.

The marginalising of Cillian Sheridan is similarly disappointing; the message seemingly being: no matter how well you're playing, if you're not playing in the UK you're going to be ignored.

Maguire being picked having barely made a couple of appearances for PNE is eye-rollingly predictable but not unwelcome. Kelly's inclusion is positive, but with the form he's in and the promise he shows, he'd be difficult for anyone to overlook.

At least Gleeson's been left out this time round. He hasn't been a regular for months and appears on the verge of a move to a newly-promoted League 1 team in Portsmouth.

Agree, I'd argue that Polish League is better quality then MLS or at least similar level

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:59pm
Other international sides are happy to pick players from the Ekstraklasa. Poland had 6 in the the last squad they named, and are rated 5th in the world.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 3:03pm

Not the most trusted of sources i know but wiki has Liam Kelly down as 5'5 1/2. Anybody confirm?

I've seen him listed between 5'4 and 5'6, looks closer to 5'4 in all honesty.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Given the way he plays the game and given where he usually plays, I don't see his lack of height really being an issue.

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 3:19pm
No it shouldn't be, he's around the same height as Veratti who plays a similar sort of role.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 3:26pm
I dont really give a crap if the squad has 100 names. O'Neil has a core if 18 odd players who he uses. He wont deviate from that barring injuries. It is good that most of our starting 11 are regulars at club levrl now.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Given the way he plays the game and given where he usually plays, I don't see his lack of height really being an issue.

Look at how often Wes has been overlooked due to his size and build. As a footballing nation we tend to sometimes ignore ability and favour brawn. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 3:42pm

Look at how often Wes has been overlooked due to his size and build. As a footballing nation we tend to sometimes ignore ability and favour brawn. 

He was very much overlooked at Reading until Stam came in. 

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:11pm
Randolph
Christie, Duffy, Clark, Ward
Arter, Hendrick,
Brady, Walters, McClean
Long.

Would be my starting 11 for this one. Fairly attacking front four and Wes can come on with 20 to go to rescue the win if needs be.

If Elliot can keep his form and place for Newcastle I'd like to see him take the number 1 jersey from Randolph. (Not for the coming games.)

Would like to see Whelan completely phased out at this stage. His one reedming factor has always been that he came into squads off the back of regular Premier League appearances. We've two / three decent midfield options who will be playing at a higher level than Glenn this season and I think his move down a division could be the end of his consistent run in the team.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:30pm

It is too simple to say that Wes is often overlooked simply because of his size, there are as many positives as there are negatives with Wes. To a lot of the fans, the positives always outweigh the negatives, but it isn't that simple for managers.
He hasn't started either of Norwich's league games under their new manager either and while James Maddison, who has taken his place, might be around three inches taller, he isn't exactly Akinfenwa either!

-------------

Posted By: djhegzy
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:32pm
Its a bit crazy he hasnt started for Norwich though, in the games he has came on, he has a goal and two assists, still as good as ever.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Its a bit crazy he hasnt started for Norwich though, in the games he has came on, he has a goal and two assists, still as good as ever.
They are the positives though, we know he often creates goals and they are easily accounted for. A statistic that is less difficult to track down is how many goals and goalscoring opportunities come from when he loses the ball in the middle of the pitch.
There is no doubting he is a fine footballer and an asset to the squad, but I can understand why managers are slow to start him.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net