You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 107>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

What happens in an Irish context if Gavin is dropped at Portsmouth which I’m half expecting Cowley to do now as he’s had some terrible clangers in the last few games. Gavin seems to have lost his confidence for now. 

Kenny will keep as No.1 due to his performances in an Ireland jersey. 

Not sure on that. If he loses his place at Portsmouth, then the argument for him over Kelleher loses merit and it would be a big gamble to start a Portsmouth reserve over an LFC reserve keeper. Didnt Kenny favour Kelleher over Bazunu at U21 level also?

Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:29am
Bazunu had just moved to Man City when Kenny took over the U21s and is a few years younger than Kelleher who was already in the squad as back up I think.

Edited by J89 - 20 Oct 2021 at 11:31am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Bazunu had just moved to Man City when Kenny took over the U21s and is a few years younger than Kelleher who was already in the squad as back up I think.

Fair enough, fwiw I think Baz should retain the jersey for Ireland for the November double header as long as he keeps that first team spot at Portsmouth. If not, then personally, I'd plump for Kelleher. 

In any case, it will be a big decision when the NL games come around next June.
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

What happens in an Irish context if Gavin is dropped at Portsmouth which I’m half expecting Cowley to do now as he’s had some terrible clangers in the last few games. Gavin seems to have lost his confidence for now. 

Not sure on that. If he loses his place at Portsmouth, then the argument for him over Kelleher loses merit and it would be a big gamble to start a Portsmouth reserve over an LFC reserve keeper. Didnt Kenny favour Kelleher over Bazunu at U21 level also? 

I agree with you. But, I can't see SK dropping him based on his previous performances for us. If he plays against Portugal, puts in another good performance, then he'll play against Luxembourg regardless of his minutes for Portsmouth. That's my opinion anyway. I like Kenny but some of his decisions surrounding including players based on club form/minutes have been hypocritical.

[/QUOTE]

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 20 Oct 2021 at 11:44am
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 1:26pm

I agree with you. But, I can't see SK dropping him based on his previous performances for us. If he plays against Portugal, puts in another good performance, then he'll play against Luxembourg regardless of his minutes for Portsmouth. That's my opinion anyway. I like Kenny but some of his decisions surrounding including players based on club form/minutes have been hypocritical.

[/QUOTE]
He has been excellent all year for them and kept them in so many of their games. Made two bad mistakes in the last two games and some on here are jumping on his back and talking about him losing his place. You could make the argument that some have green tinted glass on when it comes to  discussing our players but there are quiet a few posters on here who are the complete opposite and seem to love having a pop at any our players given half a chance.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

He has been excellent all year for them and kept them in so many of their games. Made two bad mistakes in the last two games and some on here are jumping on his back and talking about him losing his place. You could make the argument that some have green tinted glass on when it comes to  discussing our players but there are quiet a few posters on here who are the complete opposite and seem to love having a pop at any our players given half a chance.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not having a pop at all, but he got the vote of confidence from his manager after the weekend and put in another poor performance last night by all accounts. I have said all along that he has the jersey for now, but if he loses his place in the Portsmouth team, then inevitably questions will arise, as his regular game time is the only real justification for him starting over Kelleher who has been excellent when getting game time over the past year at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Hopefully he keeps his place and gets his form back quickly, but if he doesnt then Kenny will have an awkward decision to make.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 1:48pm

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

I'm not having a pop at all, but he got the vote of confidence from his manager after the weekend and put in another poor performance last night by all accounts. I have said all along that he has the jersey for now, but if he loses his place in the Portsmouth team, then inevitably questions will arise, as his regular game time is the only real justification for him starting over Kelleher who has been excellent when getting game time over the past year at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Hopefully he keeps his place and gets his form back quickly, but if he doesnt then Kenny will have an awkward decision to make.
[/QUOTE] 

Hard to argue with this really. It is something that's going to be relentless in the next 10 years plus Kelleher vs Bazunu with special geust Travers thrown in for good measure. It will be discussed just human nature. No different to the LB situation in Scotland Robertson vs Tierney is one that divides opinion. At least you can accommodate those two which takes the heat of it. 

If he does lose his place (I don't think he will do) and Kelleher keeps impressing in his appearances he of course must be considered strongly by Kenny. Bazunu I think plays for us regardless but Bass at Portsmouth is no bad keeper by League 1 back up standard the option is there for Cowley. 

Edited by kevin100 - 20 Oct 2021 at 2:25pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 2:20pm
From an ireland perspective I would be happy to have any of bazunu, kelleher or Travers in goal for ireland. 

I'd have confidence in any of them to perform well, bazunu has already been brilliant for Ireland, kelleher looks like getting a nice chuck of gametime with one of the best club teams in football (I'm not a Liverpool supported fwiw) and we have Travers who has turned a corner and looks likely to be playing premier league football next year.

I think think conversation is more related to being who is your favourite goalie rather than who would be the best. 
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 1:42pm
I’m hoping Gavin keeps his place today but I’d be surprised if an under fire Cowley plays him today . 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:07pm
Starts.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Starts.
Good to hear that. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 4:14pm
The clean sheet remains elusive for Bazunu.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The clean sheet remains elusive for Bazunu.

Or Portsmouth as a team
I love beer gardens
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:13pm
Much needed clean sheet today. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 6:37pm
The guy that runs the FTScout website clearly knows his goalkeepers. Clap

https://twitter.com/FTalentScout/status/1456682411752927244?t=80IAlcMjXVzYofMhE6F6cw&s=19
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 9:33pm
His replacement saved a penalty today for Portsmouth in a 1-0 win 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:01pm

Alex Bass (Star man)

It was a first league start since the opening day of the season for Alex Bass, who replaced the absent Gavin Bazunu. He suffered an injury scare early on but continued to save Joe Jacobson’s first half spot-kick. He did not have many first half saves to make despite a lot of Wycombe pressure. Made some last-ditch saves of real quality in the dying embers, including one that elite goalkeepers would be proud of to deny Sam Vokes. One of many match-winning performances. 9

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/portsmouth-player-ratings-wycombe-harness-6202226.amp

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:12pm
Just watched the save again from Baz... this guy has such a high ceiling. 

It will take some doing for kelleher or Travers to get anywhere near the No.1 shirt.

Baz has planted a flag where everyone can see it 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 107>
  Share Topic