You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
Went along to WD-Wex earlier on, handy win for Wexford in a game they seemed to be very up for, with our lads barely going through the motions. Wex took some great long range scores, it took us 20 minutes to bother the scoreboard and we finished the half with only 1 point from play. We were marginally better in 2nd half but Wex improved too and ran out easy winners.

Unusually, and I can never recall this happening before in any game I was ever at, WD used no subs. DMG leaned against the dugout, arms folded for the whole game, while Davy was doing his usual roaring up & down the sideline, didn't take much working out as to who was & wasn't bothered by this result. It will be a weird league, there was a rumour coming out that we are changing up to 10 next Sat for Tipp away, and going on today, its very hard to see us getting a result there. 

Going on McGrath's comments earlier on in the week, the league isn't a priority, but if anything, he was understating it, by the looks of it we are only going to be fulfilling fixtures & not a lot else until the inevitable relegation playoff. With the new championship format, the league doesn't matter as much, but yet, losing is a habit and its still going to be hard to judge when to try get players at their peak for. 

Wex have the exact opposite approach, going flat out from the start, but I dunno how all the effort they are making now will pan out in May or June when they face Galway and a probably more settled KK team. Think they are a good bet for the league, unless Davy suddenly slackens off after securing safety with another win or 2, but that isn't really his way of doing things. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:24am
Eamon Sweeney becomes the first fella to call the end of Brian Cody's era. There is a chance he might be right, but it's ludicrous all the same to write that after a Walsh Cup loss on frees and a narrow loss in a league game away to Cork, one in which KK were the ones doing most of the experimenting. I don't think KK will win an AI this year, but that's very different from saying Cody is finished, they are 2 different subjects. 

The other thing that doesn't make sense is that Sweeney calls for him to be made director of hurling, with a responsibility for finding new young players, but sure isn't that what he is trying to do anyway ? 

SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 9:58am
Well we just got over the line yesterday especially as at times it looked like we would cruise to an easy win. Fair play to Antrim they never threw the towel in. Constant fouling by Dublin kept Antrim in the game. The Antrim free taker who couldn’t miss in the first half missed a couple of frees in the second which would have won them the game.

Conal Keaney brought much needed physicality to the middle of the park but will find it tough against better teams. Danny Sutcliffe showed glimpses of what a player he can be in the first half but faded badly in the last 15 minutes. Liam Rushe came on in the last 15 and caught 2 important balls around the half forward line in injury time. Young Donal Burke stepped up to the plate with the last puck of the game to win the game.

I don’t like criticizing referees but he had both sets of supporters bemused with his decision making, even the linesman turned to us at one stage and said he would do a better job which brought laughter from the crowd. Next up is limerick which I think is going to be a tough game to get anything out of.

Edited by SuperDub - 05 Feb 2018 at 10:01am
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:06am
Bit gutted with that result but have to take the positives so far this year.

Antrim have gone pretty quickly from being a shambles to being competitive with ( an admittedly depleted) Galway and Dublin and I can really ask for much more. A bit of pride in the Jersey restored so to speak.

Slight concern that we are over reliant on Neil McManus. By all accounts he was incredible in both games.
@AntrimMan85
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:17am
Big one in 2 weeks Antrim man for both Laois and Antrim. Both teams have shown signs of improvement although Laois are missing a few starters through injury.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:57am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Big one in 2 weeks Antrim man for both Laois and Antrim. Both teams have shown signs of improvement although Laois are missing a few starters through injury.

Aye. Big test for us. All well and good competing but we do need a point or two on the board. Would expect a close one and wouldnt want to call it either way.
@AntrimMan85
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 11:57am
#Limerick4Liam2018
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:42pm
Very different approaches from various coaches & teams, Wexford are probably the best team in the country right now, they're certainly the fittest, but there aren't any medals dished out in February. We haven't got out of first gear and looked lost once Tipp upped it a small bit in the 2nd half (and it was just a small bit, they didn't do anything particularly brilliant), Clare seem to be taking it seriously too, while Galway are taking it as handy as us, only still getting results in the weaker 1B whereas we are losing heavily. 

Offaly's revival may have been a false dawn of sorts, but we don't really know how good or bad Limerick are until they play Wex & Galway. LK are another county that may have designs on winning the entire thing, but it's too early to tell. KK are trying too, but mainly trying to get a settled team rather than going all out. Loser of us & KK in 2 weeks time is almost certainly in the relegation game, and even the victors, if there are any, will do well to stay out of it. Cork & Tipp seem to have found the right mix of a typical league season, competitive without trying too hard. Roll on the next round, after which we will still know very little. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 5:22am
Cuala accounted for Liam Mellows handy enough today, and a 13 man Na Piarsaigh beat Slaughtneil pretty easily too. Should be a good final on Paddy's day. If ye haven't seen it, check out Shane Dowling's goal for Na Piarsaigh, absolutely brilliant, and an early goal of the season contender. 

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Cuala accounted for Liam Mellows handy enough today, and a 13 man Na Piarsaigh beat Slaughtneil pretty easily too. Should be a good final on Paddy's day. If ye haven't seen it, check out Shane Dowling's goal for Na Piarsaigh, absolutely brilliant, and an early goal of the season contender. 

I wonder will the gaa put this straight up against the rugby? For once we should have a cracker of an all Ireland club final.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:14pm
Nice win for Tipp this evening, Jason Forde is really after stepping up this year (early days I know) 

I'm sure that kick in the arse when he was brought on and then taken off against Galway last summer by Ryan has definitely played some part in his mindset, he has plenty of talent we all know that but it's not enough at this level unless you're working hard for the team too.

The main thing for Tipp now is that top flight status is secured, Ryan can definitely try out a few more players or even tweak players around in different positions. 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 12:06am
Any advice for parking near Walsh Park tomorrow?
Coming from and heading back onto the M9 after.
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 2:58pm
Another tough evening for the Dublin hurlers at the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. I left the game thinking how far we are away from the heights of 2013. Basic skills, poor decision making poor defending and players seemed to be off the pace of the game. With the performances we have had so far I can see us struggling to beat Laois. Even the score line flattered us as it could have been a lot worse.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:13pm
Another so-so outing for us with another defeat, KK won fairly easily with TJ Reid & newcomer Martin Keoghan doing most of the damage. Keoghan looks a good find for KK, scored 5 from play and most of them from tough angles & distances. That is us almost certainly in the relegation game, even if we were to win the remaining 2 games, given we rarely inflict huge hammerings on teams, our points difference would likely be worse than anyone else even if we did manage to finish with 4 points. 

We were trying a lot harder than in the last 2 games though, and 5 of the 6 starting forwards were withdrawn by the end of the game. We haven't played with a sweeper as yet this season, but yet our forwards, regardless of who is selected,  have been scoring less than normal. No need for the panic button yet, I think they accepted the possibility of the relegation game at the start of the season& everything is geared toward championship, but all the same, WD supporters would like to see at least one good performance (if not necessarily result) before the championship throws in. 

No real shocks elsewhere ,Tipp & Wex was a decent game, Wex might have the fitness at this time of the year, but Tipps hurling was enough to see then through, though they did look a bit vulnerable in the last 10 mins when Wex threw everything at them trying to close a 9 point deficit, getting it back to 3 before Tipps late goal. 

Still very difficult to read too much into anything, most games were played in wet conditions on poor pitches with balls being spilled & catches missed from all teams. League or not, Dublin do look to be in a bit of bother though, to the extent that Laois will provide them with a decent test. 

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 3:06pm
Good win for Laois on Saturday evening. That's 3 good performances in a row and although we lost to both Limerick and Glaway there was enough to show that we have progressed hugely since last year. The 5 point win didn'tr flatter us at all as we had 2 or 3 good goal chances but this has been a problem with Laois. Not taking chances when they present themselves. In saying that at least we are creating them.
Although still missing 4 regulat starters the younglads who have come in have been brilliant. We also now have a couple of subs who can come in and make an impact. It's only February and all that craic but Laois will head to Offaly with every reason to be confident. On the other hand Offaly always love putting Laois 'back in their box' so we'll have to see what happens. Dublin at home the following week is another game that's hard to call but based on what i've seen and read since the league started it wouldn't come as a surprise if Laois beat them.
Goal at the start of the campaign was to stay in the division but I'd think that the talk in the camp might now be towards a quarter final spot. One big game could be enough.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 4:46pm
Deise, although beaten by Tipp on Saturday would you have any thoughts on Wexford's chances of winning the league outright?

Edited by reddladd - 20 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

I wonder will the gaa put this straight up against the rugby? For once we should have a cracker of an all Ireland club final.
Think the last time we had a good club final was 2001

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 20 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

Think the last time we had a good club final was 2001

I rather enjoyed 2012 and the Liam Watson masterclass myself.....
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
  Share Topic