Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:13am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: GAA Hurling 2018
Posted By: Healy52003
Subject: GAA Hurling 2018
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 2:13pm
League Fixtures for 2018 announced 

NHL Division 1A

Round 1: Sat Jan 27th, Cork v Kilkenny; Sunday, Jan 28th, Clare v Tipperary, Waterford v Wexford

Round 2: Sat Feb 3rd, Tipperary v Waterford; Sunday, Feb 4th, Kilkenny v Clare, Wexford v Cork

Round 3: Sat Feb 17th, Tipperary v Wexford; Sunday, Feb 18th, Clare v Cork, Waterford v Kilkenny

Round 4: Sun Feb 25th, Kilkenny v Tipperary, Cork v Waterford, Wexford v Clare

Round 5: Sun Mar 4th, Kilkenny v Wexford, Tipperary v Cork, Waterford v Clare

NHL Division 1B

Round 1: Saturday, January 27th: Dublin v Offaly; Sunday January 28th: Galway v Antrim, Limerick v Laois

Round 2: Saturday, February 3rd: Laois v Galway; Sunday February 4th: Antrim v Dublin, Offaly v Limerick

Round 3: Saturday, February 17th: Laois v Antrim, Limerick v Dublin; Sunday, February 18th: Galway v Offaly

Round 4: Sunday, February 25th: Antrim v Limerick, Dublin v Galway, Offaly v Laois

Round 5: Sunday, March 4th: Galway v Limerick, Laois v Dublin, Offaly v Antrim

Replies:
Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:29am
Think the new championship structure will take from this a bit, nobody will really be scared of being relegated as they have 4 games to get it right later on in the year. The openers could be very experimental, unlike other years, I don't think too many, even Wexford, will be going flat out from the start of what is now a longer year. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: trevwaterford
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:40am
I agree. I can see crowds falling for league games because of the new championship round robin format. The weather in late January and February could be bad and people might think there will be plenty games later in the year that I can go to instead on better days. Teams could end up playing each other 5 times a year now too.

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 3:00pm
Galway and the 2018 League winners are to play an exhibition game in Australia next year.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 4:40pm
David Meyler's aul lad John is the new Cork manager

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 4:42pm
Well currently for Laois the league is a step up from championship with regard to the level of competition. They will want to be playing the likes of Limerick, Offaly, Dublin etc and in fairness it should stand to them come championship.
They would not want to be relegated down to the next Div so very important to to pick up a couple of wins. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:29pm
You'd want a masters in applied maths to interpret/explain the hurling championship next year.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:41pm
Leinster Championship 

Round 1
Dublin vs Kilkenny
Offaly vs Galway

Round 2
Kilkenny vs Offaly
Wexford vs Dublin

Round 3
Offaly vs Wexford
Galway vs Kilkenny

Round 4
Dublin vs Offaly
Wexford vs Galway

Round 5
Kilkenny vs Wexford
Galway vs Dublin

dates and times TBA

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:43pm
Munster championship

Round 1
Limerick vs Tipp
Cork vs Clare

Round 2
Tipp vs Cork
Clare vs Waterford

Round 3
Waterford vs Tipp
Cork vs Limerick

Round 4
Limerick vs Waterford
Tipperary vs Clare

Round 5
Clare vs Limerick
Waterford vs Cork

dates and times TBA

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:47pm
Dublin home games will be in Parnell afaik

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 9:47pm
Would be a decent draw if we actually had a home ground..................

Seemingly WP is going to be done up to some degree (a complete waste of time if ya ask me) and won't be available for next year. Heard rumours of Nowlan Park, but can't see the Munster Council allowing that one. The sound you are hearing is probably Frank rubbing his hands together, already counting the money. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:25pm
The dates for the World Cup are the 14th June-5th July so the round robin will be over by then (if they start them the first weekend in May and finish the June BH weekend). So I imagine if ireladn qualify the new dates may suit soccer and hurling fans travelling ???

Going to be a long June/July and August if you're team are knocked out in May

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:46pm
Not to mention meylers auld Lad when cork are out and he is free to his son captain a side to the world cup final : )

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:54pm
http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/" rel="nofollow - http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/

The Munster championship dates seem to be up. Starting in mid may and finishing mid June

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:57pm
Frank gets another year of being the Big Cheese in Cork (totally unexpected.......)

Donal Óg steps down as coach of Clare hurlers. 

We still have no idea where we are playing home games next year, Frank mentioned in passing that he thought it might be Thurles for WD V Cork game. So that's that done......

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Frank gets another year of being the Big Cheese in Cork (totally unexpected.......)

We still have no idea where we are playing home games next year, Frank mentioned in passing that he thought it might be Thurles for WD V Cork game. So that's that done......

Find it hard to believe he's going to miss the opportunity to move a game to the Stade De Frank

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:06am
Ah there will be plenty on there, the next 2 Kerry Cork Munster football finals (though they might be waiting a bit for that seeing where Cork football is)- the next 2 Tipp-Cork hurling finals (owed since when PUC was closed) and very likely any non-Cork hurling final between any other 2 Munster teams, apart from Tipp-Limerick, who I think have a home/away agreement, although logistically, Limerick a better venue for Tipp-Clare if thats the way it panned out. 

There is also AI QFs to be played, the new PUC will see their share of them too. 

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:08am

The media were asked to leave before the discussion on Frank started last night. f**king ridiculous Angry

What's the biggest stadium in Waterford? Would they play homes games in Nowlan park?

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The media were asked to leave before the discussion on Frank started last night. f**king ridiculous Angry

What's the biggest stadium in Waterford? Would they play homes games in Nowlan park?
A novel idea would be for Waterford to actually play their home matches in Walsh Park.

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

A novel idea would be for Waterford to actually play their home matches in Walsh Park.

Getting done up is it not ?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Getting done up is it not ?
Didn't look like it on Sunday.

But fook that. Just play the damn games there. It's their home venue. Same with Clare and Cusack Park.

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 8:28pm

Yeah going by Wikipedia it can hold more than Ennis (17k V 14k). I was asking deise why he didn't think they'd play there

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:04am

Yeah going by Wikipedia it can hold more than Ennis (17k V 14k). I was asking deise why he didn't think they'd play there
The problem for Waterford is that that would likely be revised down significantly if a match which would test the capacity was to be held, given that at least two sides of the ground (I think three) are made up of gravel-covered banks. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:44am
Ya Sid, correct on that one, the High Viz brigade would likely reduce it to around 10k, there are only 4 entrances, 3 of which are accessible from the main stand, but only one at the other side of the ground, which is where the majority of that 10 (or 17) K would actually be standing. 

Have no problem playing games there meself, crap as it is, it is our home venue, but opposition fans would be seriously put off going there, there just isn't room for a huge amount of them, particularly those that like to sit down during games, or those like older people, who wouldn't be able for standing for that duration of time. 

The reason we don't know whether games will be played there next year is simple enough, the CB are in discussions with Croke Park as regards doing it up, if whatever plans they have (and nobody has seen any) get a go ahead, the already small size of the ground, plus whatever construction work going on, would render it unfeasible to hold fixtures there. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:54am
Only there the once but thought it was a grand spot if ya don't mind standing. Close enough to the centre and a few bars close enough. I like terraced banks.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 1:43am
Same here, doesn't bother me a bit if we have to play there, but I do accept it is the worst county ground in the country and not up to the standards of what match going fans (any sport) of today deem acceptable. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:08pm
@KCsixtyseven
Mugabe has resigned. Frank Murphy now longest serving world leader

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 1:12pm
A kind of state of the hurling nation article from Anthony Daly here. 

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/anthony-daly/can-galway-find-savage-hunger-again-464871.html?utm_source=androidapp?&session=Q/xoZV1uP/ce1/xCP9TDxbzZejYp9ciCtezagzu2cf4=" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/anthony-daly/can-galway-find-savage-hunger-again-464871.html?utm_source=androidapp?&session=Q/xoZV1uP/ce1/xCP9TDxbzZejYp9ciCtezagzu2cf4=

This is going to be a rather strange year, with the league structured/condensed the way it is (the 2 eventual finalists will play 8 out of 9 weeks straight) and also the new championship format, where finishing outside the top 3 in Leinster & Munster will see an end to the season. 

Aside from Anto's article, most players and managers that have been interviewed about it are agreed on one thing, almost no players will play in every game, this will be about managing squads and rotation, something we don't see too often in hurling, where everyone knows at least 12 of the starting 15 by the first championship game.

Just going on that, and in the most simplistic fashion possible, the 3 strongest squads (in no particular order) are Galway, Tipp & Waterford, so I think the team that manages to integrate new players most effectively in the league, as in, with the least disruption to results or performance after multiple changes, will be best set for the championship, where teams will inevitably lose important players to fatigue or injury. 

Given those 3 teams have something of a head start on the others squad wise, I don't see the AI winners coming from outside that 3. Most other teams are short 3, 4 or 5 players from their first 15 to make them AI challengers, never mind the next 4 or 5 lads needed to be high quality subs when the going gets tough later on. 

The league itself will be won by the team that wants to win it most, Galway at something of an advantage in 1B as they should cruise to the QFs without too serious of a challenge, though Dublin might well be flat out for it given they are trying to build a base after 3 years on the slide downwards. I think in 1A a lot of teams will be happy to stay up & not be too bothered about the latter stages of it. Which is why I'm going to tip Wexford for it, Davy is smart enough to know an AI is probably out of their reach, but also smart enough to know a national title will look good on his CV, even if that comes at Wexford's expense later on. I could be very wrong, but I think they will be one of the few teams going all out from the start, he doesn't really know any other way. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 2:40pm
The excellent TG4 doing their hurling goal of the year 2017 on new years eve too. 

List of the goals here; 

http://www.the42.ie/tj-reid-austin-gleeson-goals-hurling-3760383-Dec2017/" rel="nofollow - http://www.the42.ie/tj-reid-austin-gleeson-goals-hurling-3760383-Dec2017/

Tough call for 2nd.............

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:39pm
Joey Boland and Conal Keaney are back in the Dublin set up

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:52pm

Do they have much to offer at this stage though ? Its a young mans game these days (apart from Brick Walsh). No harm in having them there, and presumably the panel needs filling out with the Cuala lads still absent, but if those 2 boyos are making the starting line up for the championship I'd nearly be getting worried. Keaney wouldn't be a bad fella to throw in for the last 20 minutes though, well capable of catching a high ball or 2 and doing some damage. 

WD played Dubs tonight in a challenge game, we seemed to have a reasonably strong team out, about 8 of the AI final starters, dunno about Dublin, we won handy enough anyway, scoreline of ''something like'' 4-16 to 1-8, scores are rarely kept too accurately at this time of the year. Presumably a load of HT changes for both teams too, wasn't at it meself. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:31pm
One rather interesting result today, Kerry beat a Cork reserve team in the Munster senior league by 10 points. 

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:42pm

One rather interesting result today, Kerry beat a Cork reserve team in the Munster senior league by 10 points. 

Reserve team or not its embarrassing. More sh*te like that and John Meylers tenure won't be too long.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:59pm
I don't think Meyler will prove to be that good a manager for ye Sham, but to be fair, I think one of the big issues with Cork is that they don't really have much beyond their first 17/18, and in today's game, that's not quite enough. That 15-18 is a match for anyone else on the day, but it falls down pretty rapidly after that.

From a Cork point of view, you wouldn't expect your 2nd team (15-30) to lose by 10 points to Kerry, no more than Tipp, WD, KK or Galway would. Can't read too much into any result at this time of the year, but tis probably a cause for at least mild concern for Cork fans. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:01pm
Was intending to give out to Reddladd for not setting up the predictions league, but there doesn't seem to be one this year, looks like Allianz have discontinued it Cry

Would have been the most difficult one to date too, nobody really knows what approach any given team will be trying other than in the case of the 1A teams, staying in 1A, while 1B really depends on whether Galway decide to give it a serious go, if they do, they will win promotion, if they don't, Limerick might capitalise, although they would probably find some way of messing it up even if they beat Galway. 

-------------

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:39pm
I can see Dublin winning 1B, they play Galway in Parnell Park and they have a great record against Galway there over the last few years.

Posted By: familyguy
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:42pm
Am i right/wrong in saying that in the new format in Munster teams that finish 1st and 2nd go through to Munster Final,3rd team go into qualifiers, 4th team are out of the championship entirely and fifth team are in a relegation playoff ???????????????????????????????????

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:50pm
Aye I think so

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:50pm
A lad in the pub was saying bookies are giving Offaly +9 against Dubln in the league. Surely thst must be a great bet on Dublin?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:14am
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Am i right/wrong in saying that in the new format in Munster teams that finish 1st and 2nd go through to Munster Final,3rd team go into qualifiers, 4th team are out of the championship entirely and fifth team are in a relegation playoff ???????????????????????????????????

Kind of. 
The 1st 2 teams in each province go to the respective finals. 
Winner goes to SF's, loser to QF's.
The 3rd place teams in each go to a qualifier V the Joe McDonagh cup finalists. 
(That's 2 of Antrim, Kerry, Carlow, Westmeath, Meath & Laois). The JMcD finalists will have home advantage in the Qualifiers, now referred to as Provisional quarterfinals. (Does that make the next ones the 'Real' quarterfinals ?) 
The winners of those prelim QF's (wonder who that would be.....) will play the provincial runners up in the 'Real' QF's. Winners play provincial winners in SF's. Presumably teams that played wach other already kept apart where possible. 

The relegation thing - in Munster, a playoff only applies should Kerry win the Joe McDonagh. If a Leinster team (or Antrim) win it, the 5th placed team in Munster just exits the competition same as the 4th placed team. If Kerry win it, the 5th team play Kerry in a relegation playoff. 

In Leinster, the 5th placed team gets relegated for Liam McCarthy & is replaced the following year by the Joe McDonagh winner- No playoff. 

Kerry are very badly done by here, if they do manage to win the JMcD, they are still going to be in it more or less forever, unless one of the Munster counties falls off the hurling stage. A Leinster winner can at least go on to compete in the LMac the following year. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

I can see Dublin winning 1B, they play Galway in Parnell Park and they have a great record against Galway there over the last few years.

If Galway want to win 1B, they win it, tis as simple as that. If MD decides to keep the powder dry for later in the year, yes, Dublin or Limerick could be the ones to get out of 1B. 

Galway have a big advantage for later in the year by being in 1B, or at least it could be to their advantage. Most teams will use near the full squad over the course of the league, in 1A, putting out an understrength team when one of your rivals is playing a near full team will almost certainly get you a beating, Galway putting out an understrength team will likely still have enough for Offaly, Laois & Antrim. Galway, Limerick & Dublin will certainly be in the league QF's, its only a matter of the order. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:34am
That Dublin v Offaly hurling game is the other way round betting wise. Pays to query these things!

-------------

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:20pm
You had it right the first time, PP have it Dublin -9 10/11, Hcap Draw 11/1, Offaly +9 Evens

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 10:28pm
Supposedly Davy Fitz absolutely flogged the Wexford lads in training last week. A few of them on the DCU panel when they played LIT on Monday. Fitz was in attendance and apparently one of the Wexford lads let fly at him.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 1:28am
Flogging lads and going 'hell for leather' in every game is the only way Davy knows, the above isn't a surprise. I'd give them a good chance of beating us Sunday, seemingly we aren't playing any of the Ballygunner lads, who are being given a rest, and Connors & Devine are also out. 

Not trying to talk down chances ahead of a ten point win for us, we should still have 15-19 lads more than capable of giving Wexford a game at home, but our lads are back off holidays 3 weeks, have had a few challenge games (all won comfortably) and training sessions, Davy has Wexford on the go since late October (unofficially) or mid November (officially). 

Walsh Park will be a bog as usual, the grass won't be cut and there will be a lot of rugby type scrums. Hard enough to predict any game in those conditions, but think if we don't get off to a decent start, Wex will edge it. 

Regarding championship games in WP, I'm hearing the High Viz & Clipboard brigade have found fault with the bank/terrace/hastily assembled gathering of gravel behind the town end goal, further reducing an already limited capacity. As a result, we will play our championship game V Cork in Thurles, and the championship game V Tipp in Kilkenny are the rumours. The KK one seems to fit anyway, they are on their week off when we are due to play Tipp, so Nowlan Park will be free. 

Don't think it was ever a runner to be honest, the games would have been accessible to ST holders only, which would have created uproar locally and elsewhere. For starters, Cork have 8000 of them and our ground capacity was estimated at 10/11K, the sums don't exactly add up. There were 37K at the Cork game in Thurles last year, 72K for the same game in CP, the reaction at allowing only 10K in to see the 2 teams again would likely go all the way to CP, they probably don't want or need the hassle. 

Our CB can be bought off pretty easily anyway, their angle will be to shout loudly that the games will be in WP until CP tell them they are getting a bigger grant for WP, we will move the games without much fuss at that point. 

-------------

Posted By: trevwaterford
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:30am
I hope the games do get moved. Walsh Park won't have enough capacity to satisfy demand from both sets of fans until it's upgraded. The season ticket isn't good value this year so didn't bother getting it. The only benefit of it was getting access to tickets for the 2 championship games at Walsh Park and All Ireland final ticket if you've been to 60% of games so I'll just have to take my chances.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:55pm
Anyone see the video of Davy Fitz roaring at the DCU manager after LIT were beaten in the Fitzgibbon,mother of god hes a moron

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:05am
Never mind sl*gging off Fitzy, join the predictions league!

-------------

Posted By: slipperydodger
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:58pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6IHz8sR3s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6IHz8sR3s

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:11pm
Offaly doing what they do best when they're written off. Dublin couldn't match them physically at all. Fair play to the Biffos who were +9 in the handicap earlier in the week. Dublin have a bit of work to do.

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:59pm
At least one Cork team performed tonight

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Offaly doing what they do best when they're written off. Dublin couldn't match them physically at all. Fair play to the Biffos who were +9 in the handicap earlier in the week. Dublin have a bit of work to do.

I'd love to see Offaly come back strong again, they always had some of the most naturally skillful hurlers in the country no matter what era.

It's most definitely going to be a case of baby-steps for Offaly over the next few years, but if they could even get back into being among the top 3 or 4 sides consistently in Leinster and close the gap it would be seen as great progress!

Unfortunately I've a soccer match in Kildare tomorrow Ouch otherwise I'd have made the trek to Ennis!

Hoping to get down to Thurles for Tipp vs Waterford next Saturday night!

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 5:49am

Do they have much to offer at this stage though ? Its a young mans game these days (apart from Brick Walsh). No harm in having them there, and presumably the panel needs filling out with the Cuala lads still absent, but if those 2 boyos are making the starting line up for the championship I'd nearly be getting worried. Keaney wouldn't be a bad fella to throw in for the last 20 minutes though, well capable of catching a high ball or 2 and doing some damage. 

WD played Dubs tonight in a challenge game, we seemed to have a reasonably strong team out, about 8 of the AI final starters, dunno about Dublin, we won handy enough anyway, scoreline of ''something like'' 4-16 to 1-8, scores are rarely kept too accurately at this time of the year. Presumably a load of HT changes for both teams too, wasn't at it meself. 

I'd still seriously wonder about the wisdom of this move from the Dublin mgmt. Not just because Offaly won so comprehensively, and that in itself was great to see from a former top county that have been away from the big time for so (too) long, but hurling in the past few years has been a young man's game, any manager who wished to change things over the past few years has gone the exact opposite direction to Dublin, in throwing out the auld brigade and replacing them with newer lads. 

Aye, fair enough, bring back Sutcliffe (same applies for any county lucky enough to have him) and the Cuala lads (Schutte's etc) but Keaney is 35 or something, Peter Kelly may have been among the very best FB's in the country 5 years ago, but he's since had a serious injury and a falling out with the manager of the time, not played much IC since,  McCaffery was ever only a solid, decent player and not a lot more, Joey Boland much the same. 

Look at all the other teams in the last few years who changed personnel rapidly, WD have been remarkably consistent over the past 3 years since DMG initiated change,  Clare won an AI in 2013 with half an U21 team, Limerick started the process of change last year going with young lads, Offaly the same this year since Kevin Martin took over, Davy fcuked half the old guard out of Wexford last year, Cork brought through 3 or 4 young lads in the past year, KK are starting to try do the same this year, as unusual as it may be for them. Dublin might have to rethink this one. 

Early days, but on the back of that horrendous showing, would be worried for Dublin as regards Leinster championship, that won't be Offaly's last scalp of the year and they clearly aren't going to be the relegation fodder most people (including meself) thought they would be. Good game from them , played it very simple & direct, good work rate, and in Oisin Kelly (a fella I mentioned in report of last years Offaly WD game that we beat them by 40 points or thereabouts, as a good prospect) there is a chap who would get on most teams, his last point from play was as good a score as we will see all year, Aus Gleeson or Tony Kelly would have been proud of it. 

Cork-KK, interesting game, and an argument in favour of a sweeper system if I ever saw one, load of loose marking & plenty space for both teams. Interesting to see KK try work the ball inwards toward the Cork goal, something they haven't really been doing for the last 2 years, favouring long direct balls up the middle instead, and seems to signify a change of plan from Cody & Co. Think KK might well be the happier of the 2 teams despite losing, their subs actually made them weaker and half that team was untried at senior level, but given level of retirements. Cody had little choice only throw the dice.  Might not be enough to keep them out of the relegation battle, certainly not enough to win an AI, but by the time Leinster starts, there will be a seriously competitive team there, if lacking a bit of previous KK class.

Will likely see the opposite of the loose marking tomorrow between WD & Wex, with a closely contested game, much swarming around the ball, sweepers everywhere and a heap of rugby type scrums on a boggy WP pitch.  Think if one of them manages to break 20 points, they win. Won't be one for the purists anyway. Draw might well be the bet for the gamblers. 

-------------

Posted By: SuperDub
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:32am
There is not much I can say about last night. Offaly simply played us off the park in every department. Only for a couple of decent saves from Nolan the scoreline could have been worse. We were physically bullied off the ball on numerous occasions. Offaly played a very simple game and scored from long range for fun. I genuinely hope Offaly kick on from this result.We on the other hand couldn’t win our own puck outs a problem we have had for years. Poorly misplaced passes when under no pressure. The list goes on.

When I saw the team line out on Friday night I was surprised to see 9 debuntants starting for Dublin. Some were playing there third game in seven days. I have no problem with Gilroy bringing back older players for experience around the panel but even in Dublin we know Keaney is at best is an impact sub, McCaffrey a very solid hurler but that’s all. Next up is a trip to Antrim next Sunday.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
Went along to WD-Wex earlier on, handy win for Wexford in a game they seemed to be very up for, with our lads barely going through the motions. Wex took some great long range scores, it took us 20 minutes to bother the scoreboard and we finished the half with only 1 point from play. We were marginally better in 2nd half but Wex improved too and ran out easy winners.

Unusually, and I can never recall this happening before in any game I was ever at, WD used no subs. DMG leaned against the dugout, arms folded for the whole game, while Davy was doing his usual roaring up & down the sideline, didn't take much working out as to who was & wasn't bothered by this result. It will be a weird league, there was a rumour coming out that we are changing up to 10 next Sat for Tipp away, and going on today, its very hard to see us getting a result there. 

Going on McGrath's comments earlier on in the week, the league isn't a priority, but if anything, he was understating it, by the looks of it we are only going to be fulfilling fixtures & not a lot else until the inevitable relegation playoff. With the new championship format, the league doesn't matter as much, but yet, losing is a habit and its still going to be hard to judge when to try get players at their peak for. 

Wex have the exact opposite approach, going flat out from the start, but I dunno how all the effort they are making now will pan out in May or June when they face Galway and a probably more settled KK team. Think they are a good bet for the league, unless Davy suddenly slackens off after securing safety with another win or 2, but that isn't really his way of doing things. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:24am
Eamon Sweeney becomes the first fella to call the end of Brian Cody's era. There is a chance he might be right, but it's ludicrous all the same to write that after a Walsh Cup loss on frees and a narrow loss in a league game away to Cork, one in which KK were the ones doing most of the experimenting. I don't think KK will win an AI this year, but that's very different from saying Cody is finished, they are 2 different subjects. 

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/comment-codys-time-as-top-cat-has-come-to-an-end-the-legendary-manager-should-be-moved-to-a-director-role-36540340.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/comment-codys-time-as-top-cat-has-come-to-an-end-the-legendary-manager-should-be-moved-to-a-director-role-36540340.html

The other thing that doesn't make sense is that Sweeney calls for him to be made director of hurling, with a responsibility for finding new young players, but sure isn't that what he is trying to do anyway ? 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 9:58am
Well we just got over the line yesterday especially as at times it looked like we would cruise to an easy win. Fair play to Antrim they never threw the towel in. Constant fouling by Dublin kept Antrim in the game. The Antrim free taker who couldn’t miss in the first half missed a couple of frees in the second which would have won them the game.

Conal Keaney brought much needed physicality to the middle of the park but will find it tough against better teams. Danny Sutcliffe showed glimpses of what a player he can be in the first half but faded badly in the last 15 minutes. Liam Rushe came on in the last 15 and caught 2 important balls around the half forward line in injury time. Young Donal Burke stepped up to the plate with the last puck of the game to win the game.

I don’t like criticizing referees but he had both sets of supporters bemused with his decision making, even the linesman turned to us at one stage and said he would do a better job which brought laughter from the crowd. Next up is limerick which I think is going to be a tough game to get anything out of.

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:06am
Bit gutted with that result but have to take the positives so far this year.

Antrim have gone pretty quickly from being a shambles to being competitive with ( an admittedly depleted) Galway and Dublin and I can really ask for much more. A bit of pride in the Jersey restored so to speak.

Slight concern that we are over reliant on Neil McManus. By all accounts he was incredible in both games.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:17am
Big one in 2 weeks Antrim man for both Laois and Antrim. Both teams have shown signs of improvement although Laois are missing a few starters through injury.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:57am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Big one in 2 weeks Antrim man for both Laois and Antrim. Both teams have shown signs of improvement although Laois are missing a few starters through injury.

Aye. Big test for us. All well and good competing but we do need a point or two on the board. Would expect a close one and wouldnt want to call it either way.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 11:57am
#Limerick4Liam2018

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:42pm
Very different approaches from various coaches & teams, Wexford are probably the best team in the country right now, they're certainly the fittest, but there aren't any medals dished out in February. We haven't got out of first gear and looked lost once Tipp upped it a small bit in the 2nd half (and it was just a small bit, they didn't do anything particularly brilliant), Clare seem to be taking it seriously too, while Galway are taking it as handy as us, only still getting results in the weaker 1B whereas we are losing heavily. 

Offaly's revival may have been a false dawn of sorts, but we don't really know how good or bad Limerick are until they play Wex & Galway. LK are another county that may have designs on winning the entire thing, but it's too early to tell. KK are trying too, but mainly trying to get a settled team rather than going all out. Loser of us & KK in 2 weeks time is almost certainly in the relegation game, and even the victors, if there are any, will do well to stay out of it. Cork & Tipp seem to have found the right mix of a typical league season, competitive without trying too hard. Roll on the next round, after which we will still know very little. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 5:22am
Cuala accounted for Liam Mellows handy enough today, and a 13 man Na Piarsaigh beat Slaughtneil pretty easily too. Should be a good final on Paddy's day. If ye haven't seen it, check out Shane Dowling's goal for Na Piarsaigh, absolutely brilliant, and an early goal of the season contender. 

http://www.the42.ie/shane-dowling-na-piarsaigh-goal-all-ireland-club-championship-video-3845430-Feb2018/" rel="nofollow - http://www.the42.ie/shane-dowling-na-piarsaigh-goal-all-ireland-club-championship-video-3845430-Feb2018/

-------------

Posted By: Irish2011
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:24pm

Cuala accounted for Liam Mellows handy enough today, and a 13 man Na Piarsaigh beat Slaughtneil pretty easily too. Should be a good final on Paddy's day. If ye haven't seen it, check out Shane Dowling's goal for Na Piarsaigh, absolutely brilliant, and an early goal of the season contender. 

http://www.the42.ie/shane-dowling-na-piarsaigh-goal-all-ireland-club-championship-video-3845430-Feb2018/" rel="nofollow - http://www.the42.ie/shane-dowling-na-piarsaigh-goal-all-ireland-club-championship-video-3845430-Feb2018/

I wonder will the gaa put this straight up against the rugby? For once we should have a cracker of an all Ireland club final.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:14pm
Nice win for Tipp this evening, Jason Forde is really after stepping up this year (early days I know) 

I'm sure that kick in the arse when he was brought on and then taken off against Galway last summer by Ryan has definitely played some part in his mindset, he has plenty of talent we all know that but it's not enough at this level unless you're working hard for the team too.

The main thing for Tipp now is that top flight status is secured, Ryan can definitely try out a few more players or even tweak players around in different positions. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: ThrowInDelap
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 12:06am
Any advice for parking near Walsh Park tomorrow?
Coming from and heading back onto the M9 after.

-------------
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 2:58pm
Another tough evening for the Dublin hurlers at the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. I left the game thinking how far we are away from the heights of 2013. Basic skills, poor decision making poor defending and players seemed to be off the pace of the game. With the performances we have had so far I can see us struggling to beat Laois. Even the score line flattered us as it could have been a lot worse.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 10:13pm
Another so-so outing for us with another defeat, KK won fairly easily with TJ Reid & newcomer Martin Keoghan doing most of the damage. Keoghan looks a good find for KK, scored 5 from play and most of them from tough angles & distances. That is us almost certainly in the relegation game, even if we were to win the remaining 2 games, given we rarely inflict huge hammerings on teams, our points difference would likely be worse than anyone else even if we did manage to finish with 4 points. 

We were trying a lot harder than in the last 2 games though, and 5 of the 6 starting forwards were withdrawn by the end of the game. We haven't played with a sweeper as yet this season, but yet our forwards, regardless of who is selected,  have been scoring less than normal. No need for the panic button yet, I think they accepted the possibility of the relegation game at the start of the season& everything is geared toward championship, but all the same, WD supporters would like to see at least one good performance (if not necessarily result) before the championship throws in. 

No real shocks elsewhere ,Tipp & Wex was a decent game, Wex might have the fitness at this time of the year, but Tipps hurling was enough to see then through, though they did look a bit vulnerable in the last 10 mins when Wex threw everything at them trying to close a 9 point deficit, getting it back to 3 before Tipps late goal. 

Still very difficult to read too much into anything, most games were played in wet conditions on poor pitches with balls being spilled & catches missed from all teams. League or not, Dublin do look to be in a bit of bother though, to the extent that Laois will provide them with a decent test. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 3:06pm
Good win for Laois on Saturday evening. That's 3 good performances in a row and although we lost to both Limerick and Glaway there was enough to show that we have progressed hugely since last year. The 5 point win didn'tr flatter us at all as we had 2 or 3 good goal chances but this has been a problem with Laois. Not taking chances when they present themselves. In saying that at least we are creating them.
Although still missing 4 regulat starters the younglads who have come in have been brilliant. We also now have a couple of subs who can come in and make an impact. It's only February and all that craic but Laois will head to Offaly with every reason to be confident. On the other hand Offaly always love putting Laois 'back in their box' so we'll have to see what happens. Dublin at home the following week is another game that's hard to call but based on what i've seen and read since the league started it wouldn't come as a surprise if Laois beat them.
Goal at the start of the campaign was to stay in the division but I'd think that the talk in the camp might now be towards a quarter final spot. One big game could be enough.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 4:46pm
Deise, although beaten by Tipp on Saturday would you have any thoughts on Wexford's chances of winning the league outright?

-------------

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

I wonder will the gaa put this straight up against the rugby? For once we should have a cracker of an all Ireland club final.
Think the last time we had a good club final was 2001

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

I rather enjoyed 2012 and the Liam Watson masterclass myself.....

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: Trigboy 10
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

I rather enjoyed 2012 and the Liam Watson masterclass myself.....
I'd much rather the years 2006,2008,2009 and 2014 when Portumna won myslef but in that 2001 game a last minute goal by Eugene Cloonan brought the game to extra time! The hurl he used however for that goal was not his but his markers! Athenry went on to beat Graigue Ballycallan comfortably enough in extra time!

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 2:36am
Pairc Ui Chaoimh is supposed to be closed to games for a few months with all Cork games now going back to Pairc Ui Rinn. A total mess up. That said, that place is too big for league games.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is supposed to be closed to games for a few months with all Cork games now going back to Pairc Ui Rinn. A total mess up. That said, that place is too big for league games.

It was a mess alright, but nothing much to worry about, at least ye have a decent stadium to go back to for the championship, unlike us. You could see at the KK game the pitch was cutting up badly, the decision of stadium management to allow the DH football & WD game 2 weeks later was a mistake, it is well known that new pitches take a while to bed in. 

Our CB have finally seen sense a month after the chairman went on local radio stating our championship games would certainly be in Walsh Park, even though everyone who knows anything knew this was never going to happen. Seemingly at the behest of the local clubs, who were worried about the much reduced tickets that were going to be available, they have now asked to move our games V Cork & Tipp to other venues. 

We will play Cork in Thurles, that's simple enough, but the Tipp game is causing a few logistical issues, there is a marathon on in Cork, routed around PUC on the date of the Tipp game, seemingly there is also a concert on in Limerick Gaelic Grounds the same day, and I think Clare hurlers or footballers are also playing at home that day,  so the options seem to be either we play Tipp on the June BH Monday in PUC, leaving a day less recovery for both teams going into the final game, or move the game to KK's Nowlan Park, which is by far the most sensible solution, but seemingly the Munster council aren't of the mind to agree to that. 

The GAA always comes back to money at the end of it, and Munster don't want to see the gate receipts for that game going to Leinster, so at the moment, it is looking like PUC on the Monday, but that could change yet. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
The games themselves tomorrow, Clare named a pretty much full strength team , we didn't, so looks like we are putting all the eggs in the relegation game basket. Tipp & Cork named strong teams, you would have to think Tipp are heavy favourites, but playing Tipp seems to bring out some form in Cork, so wouldn't be writing them off either. Wexford have also rested a few V KK, and I'd probably go for KK here, seeing as it is in NP. 

In 1B, Limerick need a draw or win V Galway to get promoted, Galway having taken it easy so far in the league. Limerick have a good chance here, on paper at least, having done more work than Galway during the league, but if Galway decide to go all out, they probably win. 

Antrim, although close in a good few games, haven't picked up any points and are probably unlikely to do so V Offaly, while the losers of Laois Dublin will meet them in the relegation game. Would give the Dubs the nod there, though it could be close. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 4:23pm
Antrim 2-21 Offally 2-18.

Fairly meaningless with a playoff to come but finally get a few points that some previous performances deserved

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 11:50pm
very happy with the Waterford win today but next week's playoff vs Cork will be very tough esp down in Paric ui Rinn

QF line up is
Tipp vs Dublin
Kilkenny vs Offaly
Wexford vs Galway
Clare vs Limerick

I think Tipp, Kilkenny,Wexford and Limerick will win and Wexford will win the title

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:14pm
Back to 1B for us after Cork won easily enough in a poor enough encounter in Pairc Ui Rinn. Wouldn't be reading too much in to the result, though if it later turns out we don't get out of Munster in the championship (a real possibility for all teams in Munster with the exception of Tipp, who look a little bit stronger than the rest)  the management will be accused of not taking the league seriously enough. 

Time will tell whether it proved to be the right approach or not, the only observation I would have is that for all the game time the extended panel got, we still aren't really any closer to the forwards nailing down the one or 2 positions that were up for grabs. Mikey Kearney has been the only one who has improved his standing in the squad, probably playing himself into the team V Clare, Paddy Curran has likely done enough too after a poor year last year, Tom Devine may get the nod as well, mainly due to his physical size & strength rather than any great form during the league. Other than those 3, it will be much the same Waterford team that has played in each of the last 3-4 years. 

League form or not, I think with no home games & Limerick & Clare having improved since last year, getting out of Munster is going to be a real slog for us, I would be delighted to take finishing 3rd right now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:34pm
The Dublin V Tipp game refixed for tomorrow is off according to rte news.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:31pm
Heard Liam Sheedy (Ex Tipp hurling manager & RTE analyst) is the new Director General of the GAA, will be announced later in the week. Might be no harm to have a hurling fella in there for once.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:14am

Back to 1B for us after Cork won easily enough in a poor enough encounter in Pairc Ui Rinn. Wouldn't be reading too much in to the result, though if it later turns out we don't get out of Munster in the championship (a real possibility for all teams in Munster with the exception of Tipp, who look a little bit stronger than the rest)  the management will be accused of not taking the league seriously enough. 

Time will tell whether it proved to be the right approach or not, the only observation I would have is that for all the game time the extended panel got, we still aren't really any closer to the forwards nailing down the one or 2 positions that were up for grabs. Mikey Kearney has been the only one who has improved his standing in the squad, probably playing himself into the team V Clare, Paddy Curran has likely done enough too after a poor year last year, Tom Devine may get the nod as well, mainly due to his physical size & strength rather than any great form during the league. Other than those 3, it will be much the same Waterford team that has played in each of the last 3-4 years. 

League form or not, I think with no home games & Limerick & Clare having improved since last year, getting out of Munster is going to be a real slog for us, I would be delighted to take finishing 3rd right now. 

Have you slightly plateaued Deise or is it a case that n one really gives a sh*t yet bar the dwarf below in Wexford

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 12:38am
I honestly don't know the answer to that. DMG's critics, and there has always been plenty of them around here, will argue yes. And I have to admit, I did think the league might give us some idea as to whether the likes of Curran & Devine can step it up a bit & be consistent every week, that hasn't happened, though both have done well here & there. 

We have taken a deliberate risk with effectively throwing the 1st 2 games, they were expecting a performance V KK in the 3rd game, they didn't get one, and while we won a poor game in Cork, it was as much to do with Cork being poor on the day. We beat a half bothered Clare handy enough, but I think today was another game they would have targeted winning, and again it didn't happen. 

If there is some great plan, nobody has seen any sign of it yet, and it might be the 2nd or 3rd game in Munster before anyone has any answers. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:23pm
Limerick Clare after finishing level after ET. Going to a free taking shoot out. Live on TG4

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:28pm
Ah sh*te it's another period of Extra Time

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:41pm
Shoot out

-------------

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:53pm
Cuig cuig

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:55pm
This is great craic.

Imagine an AI being decided this way

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:44pm
Limerick4Liam2018

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:32pm
Must be the longest game of hurling ever, taking starting & finishing time into account ? 

The shoot out, though a bit of a novelty, didn't make for good watching. Mainly because you couldn't see the ball going over the bar from the camera angle, so you are waiting for the umpires to raise the flag. A man waving a flag isn't a great spectator sport. 

This might work if the camera was directly behind the free taker, or behind the goal, but then for the people in the ground, it would probably want to be on a big screen, something that is only available in CP (PUC might have them too, I can't remember).

I think penalties would be a far better solution, there was zero drama or tension in that today, at least penalties would engage the crowd a bit more. 

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:54pm
Aye not much of a spector sport with the free taking. Something a bit different like 2 penalties each and a few frees from awkward angles might be a bit more entertaining Either way it's going to be difficult for fans to see whats happening.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:38am

Heard Liam Sheedy (Ex Tipp hurling manager & RTE analyst) is the new Director General of the GAA, will be announced later in the week. Might be no harm to have a hurling fella in there for once.

is it true too say the director general is the real head of the GAA and the president is just a personality ?

as a Waterford season ticket holder I am pissed off at the crap we played in this league campaign. I don't care if the league wasant a priority bar the Clare game we looked well below par and we see ourselfs back down in 1B (Derek will be gone in 2019 and the new boss will have to slogg through this division).

Unless this was all a master plan and we come out all guns blazing for the championship but thats very doubtful. This is going to be one of the hardest championships in the history of the GAA (so much talent in the hurling championship) and add to fact we don't have any home games of our own and The GG IN Limerick has not been kind to us in the past along with playing 4 weeks in a row and starting off in Ennis after every other team has played at least once

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:34am
The DG would have more power alright, he is a permanent employee, the President is there for a limited time. That's not to say the DG has absolute power or anything like it though. 

DMG flagged in advance the league wasn't a priority, with this new championship structure I don't think being in 1B is a significant disadvantage, we went to an AI SF from it 3 years ago, Galway surpassed that last year going by all the way. The way it's structured now there are 3 separate competitions, and the league is ranked 3rd, that's the reality of it. 

There is no 'slog' through 1B, there is only probably 1 game of consequence (V Galway) unless the Dubs get their act together, in which case there are 2 tricky games, and then you get an automatic league QF place at the end of it (please don't start the Westmeath/Carlow could surprise us nonsense, Limerick cruised all the way this year without any great bother). I would have thought it's an excellent, less pressurised environment for a new manager to start with.

I would imagine every team & manager intends to come out all guns blazing for the championship, that is the general idea. Whether playing out of yer skin in temperatures near freezing in March helps you do that 8 weeks later in May is somewhat dubious. I'm not overly disappointed with the WD results whatsoever, they don't really matter in the great scheme of things, but I would agree the performances have been average at best, and downright poor for the other ones we lost heavily. The 'sweeper' narrative is still running strong too, and yet not a single commentator or pundit has pointed out that we won the 2 games we played with one, and lost the ones we didn't. There were games we played a bit of both, like Tipp away, and we lost those as well. 

The fact we have no home games can be laid at the door of the County Board and nobody else. When Martin Cullen was minister for sport, around 2007, he had lined up a grant of € 7 million for either WP or building a new pitch in Carriganore, but the western board wouldn't agree to it as the short sighted fcukers wanted Fraher field done up as well. Greed, short sightedness and an inability to see the wood from the trees got the better of them, the team and fans pay the price to this day. Think PJR was actually chairman around then too, that would be the same lad on local radio telling everyone games would be on in WP around 6 weeks ago, when anyone who knows anything about WD hurling knew that was never going to happen. 

No question this is a tough Munster for us, I'd take 3rd right now and be delighted with it. We don't have a good record in Ennis or Limerick and even Thurles, for all the games we have played there, we have lost more than we have won too. Just have to see how it goes sure, not a lot anyone can do about it now. Tis like Joe Schmidt said a few weeks ago about Scotland not winning away from home in years - ''That doesn't give us (Ireland) any protection, we still have to go out & win the game'' and likewise, Clare, Limerick, Tipp & Cork still have to go out & win the games against us, the grounds themselves aren't going to score anything. 

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 7:53pm
Tipp have the upper hand so far but Limerick not that far behind considering they’ve hit a couple of bad wides. Be a great boost for the Treaty boys to get to a league final.

-------------

Posted By: BohsinMunich
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:09pm
is the match on TV ?

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:15pm
TG4

-------------

Posted By: gufct
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 9:17pm
Tg4

-------------
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 1:34pm
If we can cut our wides down from this and last couple years this has the making of a very good team. The short play doesn't suit us.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 1:12am
So after all the shape throwing, experimentation, going flat out, just doing enough to stay up, taking the league handy, it ends up in a Tipp V KK final. Very hard to pick a winner, I suspect Tipp are the stronger team, or will prove to be in the summer, but that may not be the case on Sunday.  KK will certainly be going all out to win in front of their own fans, Tipp will want to overturn their recent poor record in KK, not having won there since 2010. I'll sit on the fence and call a draw. 

Regardless of a result, KK are probably the team who got the most out of the league, they have picked 6 or 7 new lads that nobody outside the county had heard of and all seem to be integrating well. Despite Cody maintaining they don't do tactics and he lets the lads figure the game out for themselves on the field, the change in their approach is nearly revolutionary by KK standards. They have gone from a team who mainly launched long balls straight down the middle for the last few years to one working the ball up the field through slick passing & movement, and seemed to achieve it nearly overnight. The different approach was noticeable from the very first game in Cork and they have improved it along the way.

For all that, we won't know quite how successful it is until the AI series starts, because it very much looks like the 3 teams everyone expects to get out of Leinster will do exactly that. Hard league to read for most of the others, Limerick too look like they have improved a lot, but then again, have got to this stage in the league in each of the past 3 years only to fall down when it came to the championship. I don't think that will be the case this year, they have as good a chance of getting out of Munster as anyone else, and it will probably depend on how Kiely can integrate the Na Piarsaigh players back into the team. 

Galway & Waterford have gambled by not really being bothered about the league at all, but Galway have the safety net of a few handy games in Leinster which they can win at a good bit less than 100%, we have no such luxury. The risk has been taken now, either DMG gets proved right or wrong in May. Clare tailed off a bit after a good start, difficult to know exactly where they are, or if any improvement has been substantial. Cork will still beat some teams by their scoring power, but don't appear to have done much to shore a defence that regularly concedes high scores, so they will lose a few too. 

Tipp look to have the strongest panel, which should be a factor this year above other years, but most of us thought that 2 years ago, and it was later shown that it wasn't all that much stronger than anyone else's. They are still the only team I'd put money on to get out of Munster though, the rest are too close to call. Talking to a few Wex fans in work, they seemed a bit shellshocked by their flatness & poor enough play V KK last weekend, though it will have come as no surprise to Davy watchers in WD or Clare. They can still recover & should do enough to get out of Leinster, but there aren't any medals handed out for being the best team in the country in February. Roll on May. 

Congrats to Superdub (at least I think it is him) for winning the Ybig hurling prediction league by a mile, Reddladd will be in contact shortly to give you your plane tickets to Damascus. Quiet enough oul spot I think. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:47pm

Congrats to Superdub (at least I think it is him) for winning the Ybig hurling prediction league by a mile, Reddladd will be in contact shortly to give you your plane tickets to Damascus. Quiet enough oul spot I think. 

Cheers Deise it was me alright. In relation to Dublin hurling I believe this year is a write off for us.

I won’t be judging Pat Gilroy for another 12 months. The league was really hampered with Cuala going so well at club level. From what I’m hearing Gilroy sent anyone with long term injuries for rehab work to get themselves sorted out.

We are along way off the dizzy heights of 2013 but Gilroy is starting from scratch so let’s see were it takes us. The reality is we probably won’t see any improvement in the fortunes of Dublin hurling until next year.

On the club front the hurling championship started tonight. Cuala start the defence of their title with a game in Parnell Park on Saturday against St Brigids, Two weeks after winning the All Ireland.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net