You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:42pm
Am i right/wrong in saying that in the new format in Munster teams that finish 1st and 2nd go through to Munster Final,3rd team go into qualifiers, 4th team are out of the championship entirely and fifth team are in a relegation playoff ???????????????????????????????????
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:50pm
Aye I think so
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:50pm
A lad in the pub was saying bookies are giving Offaly +9 against Dubln in the league. Surely thst must be a great bet on Dublin?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:14am
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Am i right/wrong in saying that in the new format in Munster teams that finish 1st and 2nd go through to Munster Final,3rd team go into qualifiers, 4th team are out of the championship entirely and fifth team are in a relegation playoff ???????????????????????????????????

Kind of. 
The 1st 2 teams in each province go to the respective finals. 
Winner goes to SF's, loser to QF's.
The 3rd place teams in each go to a qualifier V the Joe McDonagh cup finalists. 
(That's 2 of Antrim, Kerry, Carlow, Westmeath, Meath & Laois). The JMcD finalists will have home advantage in the Qualifiers, now referred to as Provisional quarterfinals. (Does that make the next ones the 'Real' quarterfinals ?) 
The winners of those prelim QF's (wonder who that would be.....) will play the provincial runners up in the 'Real' QF's. Winners play provincial winners in SF's. Presumably teams that played wach other already kept apart where possible. 

The relegation thing - in Munster, a playoff only applies should Kerry win the Joe McDonagh. If a Leinster team (or Antrim) win it, the 5th placed team in Munster just exits the competition same as the 4th placed team. If Kerry win it, the 5th team play Kerry in a relegation playoff. 

In Leinster, the 5th placed team gets relegated for Liam McCarthy & is replaced the following year by the Joe McDonagh winner- No playoff. 

Kerry are very badly done by here, if they do manage to win the JMcD, they are still going to be in it more or less forever, unless one of the Munster counties falls off the hurling stage. A Leinster winner can at least go on to compete in the LMac the following year. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

I can see Dublin winning 1B, they play Galway in Parnell Park and they have a great record against Galway there over the last few years.

If Galway want to win 1B, they win it, tis as simple as that. If MD decides to keep the powder dry for later in the year, yes, Dublin or Limerick could be the ones to get out of 1B. 

Galway have a big advantage for later in the year by being in 1B, or at least it could be to their advantage. Most teams will use near the full squad over the course of the league, in 1A, putting out an understrength team when one of your rivals is playing a near full team will almost certainly get you a beating, Galway putting out an understrength team will likely still have enough for Offaly, Laois & Antrim. Galway, Limerick & Dublin will certainly be in the league QF's, its only a matter of the order. 

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:34am
That Dublin v Offaly hurling game is the other way round betting wise. Pays to query these things!
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:20pm
You had it right the first time, PP have it Dublin -9 10/11, Hcap Draw 11/1, Offaly +9 Evens
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 10:28pm
Supposedly Davy Fitz absolutely flogged the Wexford lads in training last week. A few of them on the DCU panel when they played LIT on Monday. Fitz was in attendance and apparently one of the Wexford lads let fly at him.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 1:28am
Flogging lads and going 'hell for leather' in every game is the only way Davy knows, the above isn't a surprise. I'd give them a good chance of beating us Sunday, seemingly we aren't playing any of the Ballygunner lads, who are being given a rest, and Connors & Devine are also out. 

Not trying to talk down chances ahead of a ten point win for us, we should still have 15-19 lads more than capable of giving Wexford a game at home, but our lads are back off holidays 3 weeks, have had a few challenge games (all won comfortably) and training sessions, Davy has Wexford on the go since late October (unofficially) or mid November (officially). 

Walsh Park will be a bog as usual, the grass won't be cut and there will be a lot of rugby type scrums. Hard enough to predict any game in those conditions, but think if we don't get off to a decent start, Wex will edge it. 

Regarding championship games in WP, I'm hearing the High Viz & Clipboard brigade have found fault with the bank/terrace/hastily assembled gathering of gravel behind the town end goal, further reducing an already limited capacity. As a result, we will play our championship game V Cork in Thurles, and the championship game V Tipp in Kilkenny are the rumours. The KK one seems to fit anyway, they are on their week off when we are due to play Tipp, so Nowlan Park will be free. 

Don't think it was ever a runner to be honest, the games would have been accessible to ST holders only, which would have created uproar locally and elsewhere. For starters, Cork have 8000 of them and our ground capacity was estimated at 10/11K, the sums don't exactly add up. There were 37K at the Cork game in Thurles last year, 72K for the same game in CP, the reaction at allowing only 10K in to see the 2 teams again would likely go all the way to CP, they probably don't want or need the hassle. 

Our CB can be bought off pretty easily anyway, their angle will be to shout loudly that the games will be in WP until CP tell them they are getting a bigger grant for WP, we will move the games without much fuss at that point. 

Edited by deise316 - 25 Jan 2018 at 1:31am
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:30am
I hope the games do get moved. Walsh Park won't have enough capacity to satisfy demand from both sets of fans until it's upgraded. The season ticket isn't good value this year so didn't bother getting it. The only benefit of it was getting access to tickets for the 2 championship games at Walsh Park and All Ireland final ticket if you've been to 60% of games so I'll just have to take my chances.
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:55pm
Anyone see the video of Davy Fitz roaring at the DCU manager after LIT were beaten in the Fitzgibbon,mother of god hes a moron
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:05am
Never mind sl*gging off Fitzy, join the predictions league!
slipperydodger View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipperydodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 10:58pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6IHz8sR3s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6IHz8sR3s
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:11pm
Offaly doing what they do best when they're written off. Dublin couldn't match them physically at all. Fair play to the Biffos who were +9 in the handicap earlier in the week. Dublin have a bit of work to do.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:59pm
At least one Cork team performed tonight
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Offaly doing what they do best when they're written off. Dublin couldn't match them physically at all. Fair play to the Biffos who were +9 in the handicap earlier in the week. Dublin have a bit of work to do.

I'd love to see Offaly come back strong again, they always had some of the most naturally skillful hurlers in the country no matter what era.

It's most definitely going to be a case of baby-steps for Offaly over the next few years, but if they could even get back into being among the top 3 or 4 sides consistently in Leinster and close the gap it would be seen as great progress!

Unfortunately I've a soccer match in Kildare tomorrow Ouch otherwise I'd have made the trek to Ennis!

Hoping to get down to Thurles for Tipp vs Waterford next Saturday night!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 5:49am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Joey Boland and Conal Keaney are back in the Dublin set up

Do they have much to offer at this stage though ? Its a young mans game these days (apart from Brick Walsh). No harm in having them there, and presumably the panel needs filling out with the Cuala lads still absent, but if those 2 boyos are making the starting line up for the championship I'd nearly be getting worried. Keaney wouldn't be a bad fella to throw in for the last 20 minutes though, well capable of catching a high ball or 2 and doing some damage. 

WD played Dubs tonight in a challenge game, we seemed to have a reasonably strong team out, about 8 of the AI final starters, dunno about Dublin, we won handy enough anyway, scoreline of ''something like'' 4-16 to 1-8, scores are rarely kept too accurately at this time of the year. Presumably a load of HT changes for both teams too, wasn't at it meself. 

I'd still seriously wonder about the wisdom of this move from the Dublin mgmt. Not just because Offaly won so comprehensively, and that in itself was great to see from a former top county that have been away from the big time for so (too) long, but hurling in the past few years has been a young man's game, any manager who wished to change things over the past few years has gone the exact opposite direction to Dublin, in throwing out the auld brigade and replacing them with newer lads. 

Aye, fair enough, bring back Sutcliffe (same applies for any county lucky enough to have him) and the Cuala lads (Schutte's etc) but Keaney is 35 or something, Peter Kelly may have been among the very best FB's in the country 5 years ago, but he's since had a serious injury and a falling out with the manager of the time, not played much IC since,  McCaffery was ever only a solid, decent player and not a lot more, Joey Boland much the same. 

Look at all the other teams in the last few years who changed personnel rapidly, WD have been remarkably consistent over the past 3 years since DMG initiated change,  Clare won an AI in 2013 with half an U21 team, Limerick started the process of change last year going with young lads, Offaly the same this year since Kevin Martin took over, Davy fcuked half the old guard out of Wexford last year, Cork brought through 3 or 4 young lads in the past year, KK are starting to try do the same this year, as unusual as it may be for them. Dublin might have to rethink this one. 

Early days, but on the back of that horrendous showing, would be worried for Dublin as regards Leinster championship, that won't be Offaly's last scalp of the year and they clearly aren't going to be the relegation fodder most people (including meself) thought they would be. Good game from them , played it very simple & direct, good work rate, and in Oisin Kelly (a fella I mentioned in report of last years Offaly WD game that we beat them by 40 points or thereabouts, as a good prospect) there is a chap who would get on most teams, his last point from play was as good a score as we will see all year, Aus Gleeson or Tony Kelly would have been proud of it. 

Cork-KK, interesting game, and an argument in favour of a sweeper system if I ever saw one, load of loose marking & plenty space for both teams. Interesting to see KK try work the ball inwards toward the Cork goal, something they haven't really been doing for the last 2 years, favouring long direct balls up the middle instead, and seems to signify a change of plan from Cody & Co. Think KK might well be the happier of the 2 teams despite losing, their subs actually made them weaker and half that team was untried at senior level, but given level of retirements. Cody had little choice only throw the dice.  Might not be enough to keep them out of the relegation battle, certainly not enough to win an AI, but by the time Leinster starts, there will be a seriously competitive team there, if lacking a bit of previous KK class.

Will likely see the opposite of the loose marking tomorrow between WD & Wex, with a closely contested game, much swarming around the ball, sweepers everywhere and a heap of rugby type scrums on a boggy WP pitch.  Think if one of them manages to break 20 points, they win. Won't be one for the purists anyway. Draw might well be the bet for the gamblers. 

SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:32am
There is not much I can say about last night. Offaly simply played us off the park in every department. Only for a couple of decent saves from Nolan the scoreline could have been worse. We were physically bullied off the ball on numerous occasions. Offaly played a very simple game and scored from long range for fun. I genuinely hope Offaly kick on from this result.We on the other hand couldn’t win our own puck outs a problem we have had for years. Poorly misplaced passes when under no pressure. The list goes on.

When I saw the team line out on Friday night I was surprised to see 9 debuntants starting for Dublin. Some were playing there third game in seven days. I have no problem with Gilroy bringing back older players for experience around the panel but even in Dublin we know Keaney is at best is an impact sub, McCaffrey a very solid hurler but that’s all. Next up is a trip to Antrim next Sunday.

Edited by SuperDub - 28 Jan 2018 at 9:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic