You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:17pm
McGrath going isn't a surprise considering he has been there 5 years and has a young family. Coupled with the fact he gave it 100% taking time off work. He's done a lot of the hard work for whoever else comes in. The players have a rest now and should be chomping at the bit for next year.
As Sid has said though Munster is ultra competitive and Tipp will be back and the likes of Limerick are on the rise. No guarantees in Munster let alone the All Ireland.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 12:05am
Munster & Leinster finals on this weekend, nearly lost between the WC and Kildare's choice of venue for the football qualifiers. Munster is hard to call, Clare will want to give a better account of themselves than their flat performance last year, and I think they might well get over the line. In the round robin game, they created plenty chances V Cork, but didn't take them, but to be fair to them, have improved in every game afterwards. Cork are still a good team though and capable of scoring 25 plus in more or less every game, goals could be the deciding factor, and that is one area Cork struggle a bit in over the past few years. 

Leinster- Hard to see anything other than a Galway win, but KK will be well up for it and if any complacency sets in with Galway, no better lads than KK to take advantage. Funnily enough, if there is a shock result here, it could well provide Galway with even more determination to hold on to their AI title in the long run, its not a bad position to be in. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:02pm
Clare for Munster for me but Cork will want to hold onto that title and will be up for the game. Tbh hard to see any of these too going on to win the AI 

Have a sneaky feeling Kilkenny will win 2morrow. Galway could easily run riot but this is Kilkenny and Brian Cody who love been written off 

The first ever Joe Mcdonagh final takes place 2morrow between Westmeath and Carlow. Close one to call but Westmeath to shade it. Hope for a Waterford point of view Westmeath win cause Scully Ryan has done a great job up there.

Wexford and Limeick waiting in the long grass and will play the JM runners up and winners respectively next weekend for a place in the QFs
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:18pm
Some win for the Dublin minors in the Leinster final yesterday. Beat Kilkenny 6-19 to 7-12

Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Some win for the Dublin minors in the Leinster final yesterday. Beat Kilkenny 6-19 to 7-12

Clap

We have to remember that these lads are under seventeens. I saw this team play against Kilkenny in the round robin prior to the Dublin v Kilkenny senior game back in may and I was impressed with both teams. A close enough game but Kilkenny won that game by 8 points. 

While yesterday was a good result the lad that got a hat trick is a dual player so if he comes through the ranks it will probably be with the footballers

Edited by SuperDub - 02 Jul 2018 at 12:45am
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 11:09pm
Great game in Munster final, not that it will be much consolation to Clare supporters. Think they started panicking a bit when Cork had their period of dominance at start of 2nd half and made some poor decisions in attack, not unlike the round robin game in PUC which they also lost. Cork were the better on the day though, and again their exceptional scoring power in the forwards got them out of trouble. They are also building up a nice little run of games, unbeaten in 7 or 8 now, and they'll be plenty confident going into AI SF. Scored a few goals today too, but they are still a very open team who cough up chances at the other end.

Before the Leinster final, I would have said Galway's own scoring power and better defence would probably be a combination to beat Cork, but it wasn't a good performance from them at all in a poor enough game littered with mistakes from both sides, and not aided by some strange calls from Fergal Horgan, but nothing new there. KK took them into a scrap on their terms and stayed in touch with them all the way. Galway's Thurles record wouldn't be great, but KK forwards only scored 6 from play, they are still there for the taking if last year's Galway show up on Saturday. 

KK will probably be the happier of the 2 teams though and will look to improve next week, nobody seems to learn things in such a short period of time as Cody does, and it should be another close one. Congrats to Carlow in the Joe McDonagh, only saw the highlights on SG, but seemed to be in control throughout. 

corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 6:15pm
Early morning drinking, Lar Corbett had the front door of the pub wide open, Gardai came along and told him that there was no problem if he kept the doors closed. Anyway, he never closed the door so the Gards kicked everyone out. The little rat got the cops to go to every other bar to make sure they weren't serving. He cost pubs all around the town money just because he couldn't be discreet about breaking the law.

Edited by corkery - 02 Jul 2018 at 6:16pm
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 6:16pm
f**kin hell what a ratbag LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:40pm
Not surprised, he's not the most intelligent of lads.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:12pm
Best game of the year was just on deferred TG4 coverage, the Munster & Leinster U21 finals were on at the same time, TG4 went with Cork-Tipp as the live game, a mistake as Cork won handy by 13 points. 

The other game, Wex & Galway, was something else, with Wexford getting an injury time goal in normal time to take it to another 20 minutes, they then went 2 points up with 30 seconds to spare before Galway got a winning goal with more or less the last puck of the game. Worth watching again if TG4 or Eir sport repeat it in the coming days. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:49pm
Whats your thoughts on the new Walsh Park ??? Martin Cullen have really made tits out of the Waterford CB and there planning to release a statement about it 

Quite enough on the senior manager front, names like John Allen and Dj Carey been mentioned. Interesting Brendan Cummins is favourite for it on PP 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Whats your thoughts on the new Walsh Park ??? Martin Cullen have really made tits out of the Waterford CB and there planning to release a statement about it 

Quite enough on the senior manager front, names like John Allen and Dj Carey been mentioned. Interesting Brendan Cummins is favourite for it on PP 

Is there floodlights as well or is that a no no with the residents  ? 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 05 Jul 2018 at 12:00am

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 12:13am
What this actually is Healy, is an internal Fianna Fail split between east & west branches of FF, played out through the county board along the same lines. A good chunk of our CB also double as local senior FF grassroots/fundraisers/councillors or ex-councillors. 

You would probably be aware from previous posts that I have little or no time for our CB (and a lot less for FF) & share the popular opinion around here that they are mainly gombeens. Cullen might not be telling the entire truth either, I think there was a touch of score settling in the interview, but the basics of what he said is correct, there was, at some point in the early to mid 2000's, some money available for a new ground or redevelopment of WP, but the CB couldn't agree on which venue (WP, Fraher, WIT) and the whole lot got lost with the onset of the recession. 

The reason I'd doubt Cullens account (as well as disbelieving the CB, you probably heard that interview too, the 2 boyos were less than convincing on the subject) is that the WIT development itself ran out of money and was eventually finished 2 or 3 years behind schedule, mainly recession related delays.  You put a stadium cost into that mix and its not hard to see an alternative reality situation where WP would look like Casement Park does right now and there would be a shell of a new stadium out at a roundabout 4 miles outside town. 

Anyway, hopefully ta fcuk they just crack on with WP, the plans do look reasonably impressive, and tis plenty big enough at 16K, the last thing this country needs is more stadiums. Manager, I'm hearing John Allen too, he is at least in the frame. I believe Cummins is a non runner, he wants to do it alright, but some elements of the CB are against him. DJ has done a fine job in Carlow IT, but ya would think him getting the job at KK U21 must mean he has designs on the KK job when Cody dies, because there's no sign of him retiring.  That's if he dies of course, I'm beginning to think he is immortal. 

Would be happy with Allen to be honest, our record with Cork managers is good, he won an AI with Cork and a Munster with Limerick and comes across as a decent fella.  I would prefer an experienced IC coach than a rookie as a lot of our players should be entering prime hurling years 24-28, think the last thing we need is a fella trying to find his own feet at the IC game at the same time and experimenting needlessly, as nearly all of those lads tend to do (Davy with Brick & Ken at fullback, and poor oul Jerome Maher never recovered from that Munster final either, just to give 3 examples from a single game).

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:17am
Skully Ryan resigns as Westmeath manager after 4 years. Not that I know anything about the Westmeath hurling scene, but I'd imagine they did have designs on getting to 1B/winning Joe McDonagh or both at the start of the season, could well be a case of him jumping before he was pushed. He won't be getting our job, but he will pop up elsewhere managing some team in the near future, whether a club team or another county. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:21am
Nearly forgot about the Leinster replay- would think Galway have to improve & get the job done tomorrow, but last week will have given KK, particularly their newer players, a lot of confidence. Wexford accounted for Westmeath easily enough without getting out of 2nd gear & will now face Clare, you would presume Limerick will similarly account for Carlow. Not really sure about the point of these games, it does give the Joe McDonagh teams another day out, but that's about all it is. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:31am
Ya the Galway Kilkenny game should be interesting. Particularly because historically speaking you never give the Cats a 2nd bite at the cherry 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 4:13pm
Some collapse from Galway. 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Jul 2018 at 4:13pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 4:26pm
Got their heads  back together. They should see this out now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 25>
  Share Topic