You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

How does it work then after the round robins?

Top 2 in Provincial final, others in qualifier system. 

4th and 5th exit the championship 

3rd place in each group plays Westmeath and the other Mcdonagh Cup to get a place in the All Ireland QFs.

QFs is the losing Prov finalists vs Prem Round winners 
SFs is the Prov champs vs QF winners 

Yeah- this. Wasn't sure what happened to 4th and 5th but you are correct. 
@AntrimMan85
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:46pm

So there aren't actually 4 quarter finals im taking from this?

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

So there aren't actually 4 quarter finals im taking from this?

2. Its been like that for a while.

Sensible enough in that the 2 provincial winners rewarded with all ireland semi final then 2 quarters to get their opponents. 

The term Provence needs to be taken with a pinch of salt when referring to hurling championship though  
@AntrimMan85
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 3:35pm
Is CJ Mcgourty the hurling development officer for Down now?
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Aye, so I hear. 
@AntrimMan85
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Aye, so I hear. 
As well as Ardboe ladies team and their u10s LOL

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 10:53am
Huge weekend in the championship 

The Leinster group stage enters its last stage with Galway facing Dublin in a no contest as Galway are through and Dublin guaranteed to finish 4th. It's a place in the Leinster final for the winners of Kilkenny vs Wexford and the AI prem round for the losers (vs the Mcdonagh cup runners up) for a place in the AI QFs 

It's dog eat dog in Munster going into Round 4 with Limerick vs Waterford and Tipp vs Clare. Think Limerick will beat Waterford guaranteeing them a Munster final spot and knocking Waterford out of the championship unless Tipp/Clare draw, a Waterford win makes things very interesting going into the last day. A loss for Tipp will knock them out of the championship but a win brings them right back into it, Clare could be as good as through if they win 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 11:45pm
Hard games to call, yet again, in Munster, though like last week, the bookies have made their decision and gone with the home teams, perhaps understandable as none of them, even us in our new 'home' have lost one yet. Limerick have form & momentum as well as home advantage behind them, think Waterford will give them a game as it is a must win for them, I'd say we have a chance with the same provision as last week, that we don't have a 10/15 minute period where it all falls apart and we concede 2 or 3 goals. We should be able to score much the same amount as Limerick, so it is a matter of the defence holding up and being able to keep the scoreline attainable. 

It's hard to know whether because of a good defensive performance by us or Tipp forwards misfiring last week, but we didn't cough up many goal chances. Socky made an excellent save in the first half, and Tipp's only goal came because of a fumble by Brick rather than them carving us apart, and even at that, SOK will have been disappointed not to save it. If we can restrict Limerick to 2 goal chances, and the ref/umpires decide to only give things they actually see rather than things they think they might have seen, we have a chance. 

Tipp- Clare - like their last 2 games, depends on which Tipp turns up more than any other factor. Everyone expects them to get it together for 70 minutes at some point, but it hasn't happened yet. If Clare try tear into them from the start, they have a chance too, Tipp nor any other team can keep pulling these rescue acts off, and maybe the ref won't award them 4 points for no particular reason this week either. If it is an even enough type of game that is closely fought, Tipp will probably edge it in the last 10/15 mins. 

Leinster- If Galway decide they want to win, they win, thats about the size of it. Maybe they will rest lads, but difficult to see Dublin having any real motivation for it. @SD, forgot about the Head to Heads last week, had Munster head on meself trying to look at various permutations with 2 or 3 teams finishing on same points, and missed the fact Leinster is a lot more straightforward .

KK-Wex- Odd one. KK don't lose much in NP, and have had a weeks break as well, Wex were awful last week V Galway, you would think on the surface of it, a handy KK win. Maybe it will play out exactly like that. But there's usually a game in Wex somewhere in the season, and as I see it, its either tomorrow or the AI QF (the real one, not the one V Westmeath/Carlow/Antrim). Unless a team is on the long term slide downhill, and I don't think Wexford are (though they might not be kicking on to the degree some of their supporters thought last year either) it is rare enough they would be flat 2 weeks in a row, and I think Fitz will have them well up for this one, even if the prize of a Leinster final V Galway is a bit of a dubious one. Close, but hard to see past KK at home all the same. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 10:25pm
Simply outclassed by Limerick today in every position and on the sideline as well. Said in previous post we had a chance as long as we didn't have one of those spells where we conceded a silly amount of points, and thats more or less what happened between minutes 5 & 20 where Limerick hit us for something like 2-6 while we scored a single free. We never got it back, nor ever looked like getting it back, there are very few of our lads can be happy with their performances. 

Can't have any complaints about being out of the championship either, we played 3 games and lost 2 of them heavily. There are some mitigating circumstances with the injury list, but in the bigger picture, we ideally needed to kick on & improve from last year and the truth is we didn't find the players to enable us to do that in the league. The notion of us being able to beat teams easily with no sweeper system and that McGrath was somehow holding us back all along got exposed for the myth it always was today. We have a large collection of very decent forwards who are all operating in or around the same level, but we are lacking a consistent aerial ball winner, and one of those lads like Mullane, a fella who gets 2 or 3 points even on a bad day, every day. The one fella capable of rising above that level and our top scorer from play from the last 3 years played at CB in the last 2 games, and yet an amount of experts around here will tell ya that it is his best position. It very clearly isn't. 

Have to give full credit to Limerick, they are an extremely well coached side, their movement today was brilliant, pulled our defence all over the shop, and the speed and numbers in which they arrive to breaking ball would remind ya of some of the great KK sides. They have a huge appetite for work and winning dirty ball. Right now, they are probably the 2nd best team in the country behind Galway. 

Didn't see Clare & Tipp, but I'm delighted Tipp are out, not because of any dislike for Tipp, but it would have been very unfair on Clare had they lost out on a Munster final or top 3 place because of the 'goal' awarded to Tipp V WD in a game Clare weren't even involved in. 

Anyway, sure we still have the football to sustain us for another fortnight..................

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:59pm
Fair play to Clare, a stunning comeback and Tipp can't have any complaints.

Sport can be a funny old game, hindsight is a great thing but one would think had Tipp just popped the ball over for a point instead of going for goal they probably would have held on.

Clare go down and score a goal, a real sucker punch.

Would love to see Limerick win the All-Ireland, what a team to watch!!! Kiely has them playing sensational hurling!

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:36pm
Disaster of a year for Waterford 

Need a change of management, Derek has done a great job but has brought us as far as he can

The next appointment is very important and we need the right man. Have a feeling we won't go for an outside man and Fergal Hartley will get the job. He is not a great manager imo and will set us back years 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm

Need a change of management, Derek has done a great job but has brought us as far as he can

The next appointment is very important and we need the right man. Have a feeling we won't go for an outside man and Fergal Hartley will get the job. He is not a great manager imo and will set us back years 
Your prediction of Tipp beating Galway in the All Ireland is rightly back in the bin! No chance that was ever going to happen!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:59pm

I think Waterford would be well advised to stick with Derek McGrath if he wants to carry on. In a similar vein I don't understand the clamour to get rid of Michael Ryan in Tipp. 

Munster is ultra-competitive and my view is that it was simply one of those years for Waterford - everything that could go wrong did. 

No team in Munster is going anywhere for a while - the cut throat nature of the format is something supporters will simply have to live with, and two very good teams will lose out each year for the foreseeable future. 

Even still, Waterford should have been going into the Cork game knowing a win would have given them a great chance of qualifying - dreadful umpiring in the Tipp game saw to that. 

Edited by sid waddell - 12 Jun 2018 at 12:00am
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 12:56am
Would agree with Sid on that, if DMG wanted to stay, he should be given another shot at it. Fergal Hartley is fairly defensive minded from the bit I have seen of Ballygunner, it could very much be a case of being careful what ya wish for. I don't see the money being available for an outsider, with the liklihood every spare cent will be going in the direction of Walsh Park for the next few years. That leaves Sean Power, who has managed WD teams to 2 AI underage titles (literally the only man alive in Waterford who has done that), if DMG does go, Power has done as much as anyone to deserve a chance. After that, it will be just some random names from the 2000's team, Ken, Tony B etc etc, not one of whom have proved adept at management at any level yet. 

Whoever it is going to be is up against it, we have some seriously deluded followers, most of whom don't actually bother going to games, only AI SF's & finals. The squad depth has been tested to a ridiculous degree this year, but tis clear enough a lot of lads who played in the past few games will remain just squad players, and either aren't ready for the step up, or possibly never will be. Particularly among the defenders. There has also been this narrative around here the past few years that Bennett, Curran, Devine, Kearney etc were superstars in waiting only DMG wasn't giving them a chance, while he kept picking the likes of Dillon instead. Everyone got a chance this year, and really only Devine put his hand up to suggest he can be a reliable target man. Looking at the scoring charts, and I've been harsh on Dillon meself in the past, but none of the other lads scored much more than him for all their reputations at underage level. 

Those lads still have time on their side, still all very young, but DMG has said this over & over again, and yet there are loads of lads around here think all he had to do was throw them in & we would win the thing in the manner of (what was a poor year at U21) the U21 AI 2 years ago. They are also the same lads who declare that Aus Gleeson's best position is CB. I half blame the simplistic analysis on RTE for the attitudes, clowns like Duignan bleating about sweeper systems (just WD & Wex though, as all other teams attack from start to finish.......aye...) can actually affect the public mood if yer gullible enough, or don't trust your own eyes, or think U21 is much the same as senior. 

It is about time the CB started standing up for themselves at national level as regards the 4 away games, we should be in KK if we want to be, what have the Munster council ever done for us anyway. The attendances this year were pathetic, not breaking 3k in any of the 3 games, yet for the past 15 years we have gone to Thurles in 10/15 thousands (not as much in past few years, more like 5 or 6k). There were around 25k of us in CP last September, where did they all go to this year ? And ya, I get the thing that all 4 are tough to go to, and expensive, but the bit I don't get is why people didn't pick one, just one game to go to, that would still have been one less game than normal for most (we usually play at least twice in Thurles every year) so I really don't buy it, we are gone more fickle than even the Tipp supporters this year, and are travelling in the the same numbers as fcukin Galway, who never really go to anything other than finals. 

KK being 35 mins up the motorway from the biggest population centre in the county has to be the logical solution here, even if the thoughts of appeasing the fickle no shows annoys me too. Maybe they should reopen WP and only let the few lads who went to Ennis & Limerick in. Anyway, rant over for the minute, back to DMG, no team or squad could cope with the level of injuries, only 3 outfield players (Conor Gleeson, Phil Mahony & Tom Devine) actually managed to complete 3 X 70 minute games between injuries, substitutions and suspensions. I haven't looked at the rest, but I imagine LK, Galway, Cork, Wex are up around 10/11, where ya would expect it to be normally. Just move on and look forward to , eh, Tullamore in January...........

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Big decisions to be made in Waterford. What do ye think deise lads?

If Derek does go then the right man has to come in or we could possibly lose a few players to travelling etc

This year was full of bad luck for us, new calender came in which led to our prep been all over the place(we had a few months off after the 2017 AI final, had our team holiday a few weeks before the league opener), the injuries to key players and the fact we were on the road for all our  championship games.

I'm going to Thurles on Sunday but not expecting many Waterford supporters to go. The bandwagon fans wont travel, some fans have turned there backs on the team. A win or a draw will get the minors into a Munster final and give us something in the hurling world to root for the rest of the summer. The Brick Walsh will make History by becoming The Most Capped Player in GAA Intercounty history on sunday and deserves a good send off

The under 21s face a fancied Cork team on the 20th june
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:38am
Think he is likely to go, though I wouldn't have any issue with him staying on. Though he is generally liked and admired outside the county, there has always been a contingent of fans around here, most of whom don't actually bother going to games other than AI SF's & Finals, who consistently whinge about the style of play and have never really taken to him. It wouldn't take a whole lot, maybe a slow start in a league that has rarely mattered less, for the negativity to become overwhelming. It is nearly an easier decision for him to step away. 

The next fella's appointment is important to get right, but realistically, much the same players are going to be available and I wouldn't be expecting any major changes to the playing style. Think players going travelling/taking time out is going to be a feature of the GAA in most counties and don't think it is necessarily limited to us. Lads that do go travelling are usually under 24, the main spine of our team is a bit older than that, and bar Brick, Moran & long term No.2 keeper Iggy, some or all of whom may yet stay on, we don't have that many at an age they would be thinking about retirement either. 

I think any new manager's job will be to tweak things a bit & evolve the team with a few new players, as well as adding a bit of depth in certain positions if possible,  but it won't be a revolution type thing like DMG himself did in his 2nd year where he cleared out half the squad, there is no need for anything like that yet, and there aren't all that many outside the existing squad going to break through anyway in my view, whatever about existing panel members becoming first 15 men. 

One of the things anyone should insist on, whether it is DMG or a new fella, is getting an alternative home venue (KK being the likliest, Wexford Park would be grand too) while the WP saga continues. Tony Browne made a valid point in the Examiner during week, he pointed out Spurs had no home this year, but they weren't expected to play Man U in the Emirates, Man City at Stamford Bridge & Liverpool in the London Arena as well as playing away to those teams, which kind of sums up the ridiculousness of it. As much as I have no time for the bandwagon fans, the team and manager could do with numbers supporting them in games, and our games this year showed that those numbers won't go to Limerick or Ennis. I also have zero confidence in the ability of our CB to make that happen. 

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 2:01pm
Anywhere with a stream of Cork vs Waterford???
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
  Share Topic