Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 77>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dimitar Berbatov View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Javier Hernandez

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 12:54pm
Football's all about balance. Think of some of the greatest players ever to play the game ... Pele, Garrincha, Maradona, Messi, Best ... They all were blessed with a low centre of gravity. Tallest of that bunch was Best at 5ft 9in. If a 17 year old needs to put on half a stone of muscle that can be easily done, but he'd want to know how to pass a f**king ball first. Our youth leagues are dominated by lads who are big for their age and good for f**k all apart from booting smaller kids up in the air. It's a wonder we produce any decent players at all.
New York '94, Anfield '95, Lisbon '00, Paris '04, Bari '09, Paris '09, Skopje '11, Tallinn '11 (P 8 W 4 D 3 L 1)
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 7:47am
Another issue for me is kids trying to put on a lot of weight. One guy on our side who just missed out on trials this year (he had a difficult year) is technically brilliant, unbelievable feet, but is physically fairly small. So he's trying to do wieghts etc. I think it's insane as he doesn't need weight for his game.

Is Messi huge? Is Xavi huge? Is Iniesta huge? Nope, not at all... In fact Barca prefer quick, smaller players.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Javier Hernandez

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:05am
Hadn't seen that. Should be a major priority. A lot of ex-players would be well placed to take on such a role. Not f**king rocket science.
New York '94, Anfield '95, Lisbon '00, Paris '04, Bari '09, Paris '09, Skopje '11, Tallinn '11 (P 8 W 4 D 3 L 1)
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 4:42am
DB have a read of this Thread
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30686&title=youth-development
The English are coping on too, Gareth Southgate appointed to make the changes
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Javier Hernandez

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:22pm
Some interesting thoughts in this thread. The FAI should read it. They should also maybe try to figure out why the top three players in the World Player of the Year award were all youth products from one club. Cruyff implemented the youth structures from Ajax when he went to Barcelona. The same ethos that yielded a 1995 Champions League for Ajax has given Barcelona the greatest club side in 50 years. What do we do? Walk the same trail as the English. Unimaginative, uninspiring sh*te where the basic skills are never absorbed and consequently creativity is an impossible. Fair play to anyone who is willing to challenge that.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:01pm
Castlebar Celtic Under 17s are Mayo Premier Division Champions after an 87th winner against Ballyheane in the title  decider tonight Won 4-3!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:32am

I'd love to introuce some sort of prog at Celtic too where it's nailed down that winning is not important, rather player development is. The same formation, style should be played from Academy up!

Also would encourage usuing different formations at different times. Say, 3 games 442, 3 433, and 3 451 an a couple 343 over the course of a season. By the time they are 18 they will all be comfortable with different formations/jobs when needs be.
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

That's a huge factor too. I've said before that competetive football shouldn't exist before under 13 or 14! And 10 year olds playing 11 a side is absolutely crazy!

agree mark
your putting at best a 4 foot keeper into a 6" goal, that probably has a 1/2 foot dip in the middle.
fish in a barrel
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:27am
That's a huge factor too. I've said before that competetive football shouldn't exist before under 13 or 14! And 10 year olds playing 11 a side is absolutely crazy!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:26am

Simple: Winning was regarded as more important than player development. Same as today really. Hoofing the ball up in youth games is effective and can provide instant success. Coaching FOOTBALL may not win the Under 12 Mayo League, but it can lead to an FAI Youth Cup at Under 17 or 18 level!! That's the way I look at it, but too many coaches/managers think short term.

To summarise, Winning > Player Development while it should be the total opposite! 
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:24am
Because we have 5 year olds playing competitive ball, they feel presured to hooooof the ball every chance they get.
Spain, france etc, dont play competitive league format until U14, no presure on the players at a young age, so they take extra touches and are all comfortable on the ball from back to front,
The english FA have only changed to this format this year
GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:20am
I don't know what it is with Irish and British youth teams. But bisecting the midfield and hoofing it from back to front seems to be the way we've always played. Why is this?
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

True that: The lad who done the team in kilnamanagh with me, had a great eye for a player, we got a player from manor town, had him at the back told to hoofff every time the ball came near him "cause he was tall".
1st season with us, played high on the left, 2nd season striker and top soccer, so much ability.

Ive got a 4month old now and I cant wait for him to start, im 5 times the coach now than when i started 6 years ago.

1sr Rule, Partents shut the fook up, I dont care if he is the next robbie keane, if you dont like it fook off, but he'll be the poorer for it
1st rule of every new season to parents is-shut the fuk up
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:13am
I hope we start investing heavily in coaching soon at Celtic. It's needed, it would really freshen everything up. An it's clearly the best way to go. Would love to see 5 grand a year put away for coaching dev
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:11am
True that: The lad who done the team in kilnamanagh with me, had a great eye for a player, we got a player from manor town, had him at the back told to hoofff every time the ball came near him "cause he was tall".
1st season with us, played high on the left, 2nd season striker and top soccer, so much ability.

Ive got a 4month old now and I cant wait for him to start, im 5 times the coach now than when i started 6 years ago.

1sr Rule, Partents shut the fook up, I dont care if he is the next robbie keane, if you dont like it fook off, but he'll be the poorer for it
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:08am
There is a disease in kids football... The amount of times you will hear a parent roar "KICK IT!" if a lad has the ball at a youth game... Awful
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:00am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Yeah being out doing drills is the most important thing. Sitting own looking at presentations can be tedious. As you say, these are the things that 6 and 7 year olds should be learning. Go to Holland and you'll see their schoolboy leagues are full of passing and moving.
yep no roar+applause when a centre half hoofs the ball 40yards,fukin wrecks me head when parents/managers do this,kids learn fuk all when the balls in the clouds
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:56am
Yeah being out doing drills is the most important thing. Sitting own looking at presentations can be tedious. As you say, these are the things that 6 and 7 year olds should be learning. Go to Holland and you'll see their schoolboy leagues are full of passing and moving.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 77>
  Share Topic