Print Page | Close Window

Coaching, Schoolboy and Youth Football

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: Get your nicks and socks on!
Forum Name: The Coaches Room
Forum Description: Training ideas / moany players / moany parents / Coaching badges etc
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=8280
Printed Date: 17 Sep 2021 at 5:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Coaching, Schoolboy and Youth Football
Posted By: MayoMark
Subject: Coaching, Schoolboy and Youth Football
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 4:38pm
Hello again lads and lasses. You might remember I was asking aboot coaching a while back.

Well I got 'the call' from the chairman tonight. I'll be coaching an Under 16 A team.

This being a tough starting point, I'd love it, if any of you have experience in coaching, would give me some advice or tips on the subject via this thread or PM.

Thanks in advance lads Thumbs%20Up

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Replies:
Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 4:43pm
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 4:54pm
winners formation Mark Thumbs%20Up

Heres a good exercise you can introduce aswell....

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 4:56pm
I'm going for the Christmas Pudding Count!! Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 4:58pm

Quality exercise too!!! LOL

Any actual advice?? Wink

-------------

Posted By: criostoir Óg
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 5:05pm
score more goals than the opposition Thumbs%20Up

-------------
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 5:10pm
You'll find all you need to do here Mark (from 1:36 onwards)Thumbs%20Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkhJ6720ts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkhJ6720ts

and some good drills from here....Thumbs%20Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDko7Utfqdg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDko7Utfqdg

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 5:14pm
Now you're making fun of me Ouch

Great clips though!!! Thumbs%20Up 

-------------

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 3:45am
Essentials:

Stopwatch
Whistle
Grecian 2000
Patience of a Saint
Hangover cures (16 year olds will drink.......)

Best of luck Mark, piece of piss......Thumbs%20Up

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 18 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 3:53am
i use to coach back in the day biggest regret i made was not taking the job as arsene wengers assistant back in 96 when he offered me the gig ,he still calls me occasionally for advice

Posted By: seaniemac
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:11am
Make sure you have great one-liners to put the cheeky little fookers in their place Mark!! LOL

Good luck with it too, great opportunity for you. Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:13am
Sure, just think, after one season you'll have more experience than Steve Staunton had when he got the call from John Delaney!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:06am
That one-liner thing could be handy actually!! Good man, thanks seanie Smile 

-------------

Posted By: Gouldinho09
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 8:18am
I led an U12s team to shield victory in the Ballybrack mini world cup in 2002. I was just an inspirational figure. We had one lad who was so much better than everyone else so i let him away with murder and the rest did the doggy work. Feed the ego of the talented players and they will reward you

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

I led an U12s team to shield victory in the Ballybrack mini world cup in 2002. I was just an inspirational figure. We had one lad who was so much better than everyone else so i let him away with murder and the rest did the doggy work. Feed the ego of the talented players and they will reward you

LOL The Edmundo of Ballybrack Gouldy.....who does he play for now?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 1:43pm
First training session this Wednesday Confused

I need Football Manager for practice!!!! Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

He's retired and associates with pillars of society like myself. Was in the same class in school as Jake Kelly (bray) and Jay O'Shea and just as good as them. But when he started to drink he started to associate with his uncle and his scumbag friends

-------------

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:14pm

He's retired and associates with pillars of society like myself. Was in the same class in school as Jake Kelly (bray) and Jay O'Shea and just as good as them. But when he started to drink he started to associate with his uncle and his scumbag friends

so he's in prison too ?

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:19pm
One of the players in team actually is in prison

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:21pm
There's two options for first training session:

1) Make everyone like you --- Five-a-side Thumbs%20Up

or

2) Make everyone hate but fear you --- bleep test and intense pre season Thumbs%20Down

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:21pm
This is fookin' really constructive lads thanks(!) Disapprove

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:23pm
I was being sincere with the last one there!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Crostir g Crostir g wrote:

There's two options for first training session:

1) Make everyone like you --- Five-a-side Thumbs%20Up

or

2) Make everyone hate but fear you --- bleep test and intense pre season Thumbs%20Down
Never spotted this mate Smile 5 a side sounds good to me Clap

Foollowed by 15 k sprints and I'll accompany them on a golf cart Star

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:29pm
Nah sod 'em get them on the bleep tests - nothing wins lower league matches like the last 20 minutes!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:30pm
They should be fairly fit anyways Thumbs%20Up We'll see what happens. Should be an interesting experience!!!

-------------

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

so he's in prison too ?

And i thought you were going to say he moved to Joeys to better himselfLOL

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 3:07pm
These 2 lads do some great workout dvds you could use MarkThumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 3:42pm
When did spandex stop being socially acceptable? Likewise with 80's pastel colour camoflouge?!

Let's face it, if Mr Motivator was on TV today he'd be branded a paedophileLOL

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Crostir g Crostir g wrote:

Let's face it, if Mr Motivator was on TV today he'd be branded a paedophileLOL

No he'd be branded a twat, just like he was when he was on tv

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 10:32am

These 2 lads do some great workout dvds you could use MarkThumbs%20Up

If we win the Connaught Cup I'm putting it down to this advice!!

Talking to a fella yesterday and apparently there are "around 8 brilliant players" on the team!! FAI Cup here we come Clap

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 1:47pm
Have them all round to your house for a few cans.....Team Bonding is crucial

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 5:35pm
if you do play 5-a-sides, pick 2 captains to pick their teams, and play first to 2 goals, win by 2 - keep it competitive where there is always an incentive for the team ahead, and the team that is behind by one goal. count the number of games won, versus the score in one longer game.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 5:54pm
Sounds good Billy. What kind of incentive though? How do you keep it competitive? Assorted crisps???

Or the threat of laps? Thing is I don't think laps are necessary for lads that age... But 5 a side seems to be the way to go Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 12:05pm
http://www.castlebarceltic.com/ - http://www.castlebarceltic.com/

Cool

The club is delighted to announce that they have secured the services of John Ralph, James Minogue and Mark Togher as the U-16 management team for the coming season. John has had a very successful year as last season U-12 manager, when winning the Mayo League & Cup double and just falling short in the Connacht final. He has also served along side Gavin Dykes with the clubs Super League team and he will bring his vast experience and knowledge to the position. James Minogue is currently part of Declan Kilkellys League of Ireland side and was the Captain of the all conquering All-Ireland winning U-18 side in 2006/7. James has just returned after spending a year with Galway Utd. Mark Togher is the third member of the team and he has played for Celtic at all ages groups and has a real understanding of the game. The Togher name has been associated with Celtic for well over sixty years when his Grandfather John was on the first Celtic team to win a trophy. All at the club would like to wish them well for the coming season and hoped that the players will this take this opportunity to learn from this talented management team.   

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 6:56am
number one for me mark is absolutely no negativity on a personal level , if a fella is playign badly , explain to him that you expect more from him and let him know why he is dropped. no bollicking a player on the park and discourage the lads from bollickign each other, no-one reacts well to negativity, that bneign said if the whole team is playing poor then a general bollickign can work wonders if used in the right way!

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 7:10am
Noted - Thanks Roger Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 10:20am
u-15 or  u-16 lads should not need to be incented to practice or improve their skills.   good thing is to always incorporate 3-5 minute bursts of "2 touch football" during the 5-a side - can be a great leveller if one team has a couple of ball hogs (all the young lads it seems think their Ronaldo and want to dribble all day - the limited touches forces players to get their head up and spot a pass.  sounds really obvious, but can be great for increasing the tempo, and getting everyone involved.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 2:49pm
Thanks for all the good advice lads, first training session was ruddy brilliant - textbook Thumbs%20Up

Nice bunch of lads, some top players, and can't wait to get going. First game is away to Westport United - the oldest rival Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: DamoGUFC
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 3:10pm
Fair play Mark, Its actually pretty enjoyable and a learning curve as well. I started coaching 2 years ago and am currently over the Athenry U-10's and help out with the U-16 squad. Have my FAI Kick Start 1 and 2 courses done so not far off the UEFA badges Tongue

-------------
Galway United,
My love,
My passion,
My Life.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 3:14pm
Yeah I wanna do my kick start programmes too over the summer. Costs a bit though - 300 squids for the u12-u18. But it's a 45 hour course or something!! Looking forward to Monday Thumbs%20Up 

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 10:43am

Drew 1-1 away to the league leaders last Mondee! Down to ten men, 1-0 down against a team who haven't dropped a point all year and we bagged the equaliser!!

My mate caught me on tape Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQx2F5WV7_k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQx2F5WV7_k

-------------

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 10:51am
LOL

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 1:09pm

[/QUOTE] If we win the Connaught Cup I'm putting it down to this advice!!

[/QUOTE]

Salthill will be retaining  that I'm  afraid.Wink

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

If we win the Connaught Cup I'm putting it down to this advice!!

[/QUOTE]

Salthill will be retaining  that I'm  afraid.Wink
[/QUOTE]
Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 1:47pm

Whats the story with Ballybrack this season Gouldy? Heard they have gone under and a mass exodus to Joeys and Cabinteely is underway?

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:03am
Anyone here done the kickstart programme?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:03am
Yep Kickstart 1

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:04am
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Yep Kickstart 1

???

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:09am
Did it a few years ago Mark, Friday Night, All Day Sat and on The Sunday Morning, Fees were paid by the Club, Mixture of Theory and Tactics, Useful for coaching Teens IMO but not great for the u8s that i was working with back then, Good Summary Binder though given as part of the course with all training exercises on individual cards

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:12am

Did it a few years ago Mark, Friday Night, All Day Sat and on The Sunday Morning, Fees were paid by the Club, Mixture of Theory and Tactics, Useful for coaching Teens IMO but not great for the u8s that i was working with back then, Good Summary Binder though given as part of the course with all training exercises on individual cards

So the club is supposed to pay am I right in saying that, Brian? The kickstart is supposed to be aimed at coaching 7-9yr olds is it not?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:16am
The Club paid for it in my case, Dont know if that applies elsewhere, Yeh it is aimed at that age group but i thought it was more suitable for pre /early teens. If you want i will gladly give you all the manuals etc from the course, its pretty self explanatory and is very well put together. PM  Your address and ill post it on to ya

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:30am

Whats the story with Ballybrack this season Gouldy? Heard they have gone under and a mass exodus to Joeys and Cabinteely is underway?

Jaysis havnt heard anything myself. I havnt talked to anyone down there in ages but it doesnt come as a surprise because there are only a handful of people actually putting time into the place. It shares the club house with the boxing club who i think own it or own the lease. I cant see it going under put the club has been on a major slide over the last few years. Considering a lot of my family run the place i should personally be helping out a bit more   

I did enjoy my best days at loughlinstown though. Ballybrack were so big at the time i was just spat out through the system and Lougho showed me love

-------------

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:33am
Castlebar 16s may feature in The Star's Target quite soonWink

-------------
The Count never won the Young Scientist of the Year award. It still haunts him to this very day, FACT

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Castlebar 16s may feature in The Star's Target quite soonWink

Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: Mafi Mushkila
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Anyone here done the kickstart programme?

Did the old Level One a few years back the equivalent of the Youth Cert now I think. When they brought in all the new courses went back and did the Kick Start 1 just to see what the new way of courses were like. Very good course most of the stuff is aimed at 7-9 but I've used some of the activities with kids up to U11 all depends on the ability levels and sure you can adapt them to make them harder!

Would definitely reccomend getting the courses done if your involved in coaching Smile

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 3:11pm
Ive done 1+2,2 is much more interesting+most is done on da pitch whereas alot of 1 is theory watching stuff on screen,thats da way mine was in anyways,doing youth cert next year

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 3:14pm

So the club is supposed to pay am I right in saying that, Brian? The kickstart is supposed to be aimed at coaching 7-9yr olds is it not?
1 is aimed at6-9yrs,2 is for9-12 yrs

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 3:15pm
At Training last week with the young lad, Apparently Joeys have appointed a Director of Coaching @60,000 PA

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 3:17pm

At Training last week with the young lad, Apparently Joeys have appointed a Director of Coaching @60,000 PA
Yeah they advertised it in da papers,handy one wha

-------------

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Yeah they advertised it in da papers,handy one wha

What recession?Confused

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 6:53pm

best schoolboy club in Ireland.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Salthill DevonWink

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Salthill DevonWink

Not according to the FAI!

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:00pm
Joes treat their players like sh*te. More children end up hating football because of them than go on to play senior football. I hate that club more than any club on the planet.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:04pm

Jesus had my first run in with a spectator last night... He had such a go at me for no reason... Sad thing is he was in his 40s and his young fella of no more than 10 or 11 was beside him. I was rarely as angry in my life. All part of the learning I suppose

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:09pm

Joes treat their players like sh*te. More children end up hating football because of them than go on to play senior football. I hate that club more than any club on the planet.

Absolute bullsh*t...

St. Josephs Boys received one of the highest accolades in their 55-year history last weekend when they claimed victory in the FAI Club of the Year competition.

The annual event, which the FAI organise in conjunction with the Irish Star Newspaper and the Citywest Hotel, is the culmination of a season during which a series of monthly prizes are given out to worthy winners.

The eight clubs who were successful in obtaining those monthly awards went forward to last weeks final vying for the overall trophy to be selected ahead of the FAI AGM.

Those eight finalists were clubs, Curragh Athletic, St. Michael's AFC, Glaslough Villa, Peamount United, Tullamore Town, Crumlin United, Listowel Celtic and St. Josephs Boys.

An independent judging panel, consisting of Paul Cooke (Irish Star), Tom Maher (Citywest), Pauric Corkery (eircom), Paul Martin (FAI volunteer education coordinator), Karl Mitchell (Dublin City council) and Arnold OByrne assessed each club on a range of criteria including facilities, participation and coaching.

St. Josephs Boys from Sallynoggin in South Dublin, which boasts a membership of almost 1,000 children including six Girls teams, were chosen as the winner.

FAI President, David Blood, acknowledged the huge role made to grassroots sports by Joeys and the contribution it has made within the community - not only in Dublin, but in the sporting community as a whole.

The eyes of the Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni were raised when he discovered that three current International players Andrew Keogh, Paul McShane and Alan OBrien - all donned the black and white of Joeys before pursuing a career in England.

In his acceptance speech on behalf of the club, Club Chairman George Forsyth thanked the judging panel and acknowledged it was a privilege to accept the award on behalf of all the 120 leaders, coaches and, indeed, players at St. Josephs.

To carry on the ethos of putting the Player first laid down by its founders in 1953 shows that the development of children in the right environment, with the right values is, indeed, the way forward, which ultimately benefits society in the long term.

George dedicated the award to the late Austin Mullen, who passed away this season after a lifetime commitment to Joeys.

St. Josephs Boys will host its International Tournament The Hibernia Trophy - on August 22-24 at their home of DNG Park in Sallynoggin.

Eight Elite Under-15 teams will participate including Charlton, Sunderland, Utrecht (Holland), Trelleborg (Sweden) and Izumo City (Japan), St. Josephs Boys, the DDSL and the FAI Development squad. For more details, long on to: http://www.hiberniatrophy.com - www.hiberniatrophy.com

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:15pm
Thats a nice copy and paste but they still treat their players like sh*te. One of the highest funded clubs in the country as well

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:19pm

what do you base your comment on?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:21pm
Friends who have played there and parents of children that played there. Look we wont agree on it so leave it there. All that we know is that i hate the club with all my heart

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:23pm

Inferiority complex,the usual Ballybrack nonsense..

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:27pm

Inferiority complex,the usual Ballybrack nonsense..

Thats the 1st time anyone has ever said i have an inferiority complex

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 4:44pm
Did the Kickstart 1 course yesterday. Would reccommend to anyone interested in coaching to do this. It was very enjoyable. And I think very beneficial! 10 outta 10 Clap Doing Kickstart 2 in october, can't wait Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 4:56pm
seen as tho this thread has been brought back up,St Joseph's Boys will be holding their annual presentation tomorrow and the one and only Giovanni Trapattoni is the special guest!!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 5:06pm
Who?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 5:09pm
Some auld lad in his last job before retiring!!

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 10:27am
Heading Down to that tonight, Wonder will Mr Hickey be thereAngry

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Posted By: herbie
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 10:37am
Bring the hat

-------------
"its the best trip iv ever been on"

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 10:38am
Originally posted by herbie herbie wrote:

Bring the hat

Havent got it Herbie

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 15 May 2011 at 10:24pm
BUMP

How's everyone getting on??

Brianie? You still doing a bit? Mafi? BSM? BoyZ?

I propose we use this thread to share info and drills/practices

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 4:32pm
Not been doing any coaching since moving to London as don't have the time over here but I have been promoted to Head Coach for this summers soccer schools Thumbs Up

I know you have the coaching bug and a really useful course I did a while back was an SAQ course with SAQ Ireland would highly recommend it Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:35pm
Nice one Mafi I'll get right on that!! Gonna research it tonight.

Fairly spread out here at the moment. Won again tonight and one win away from winning the Under 17 Mayo League. Strictly following a passing game. No over the top nonsense And it's no bother because the lads love it anyways!

Under 16 girls national cup v Salthill next Saturday. Big game against a quality side! Here's hoping Also applied for Summer Soccer school and waiting on Garda Clearance to get the go ahead!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:36pm
Anyone on here manage an under 17 or 18 boys team???

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:47pm
Clap

BUMP

My under 9s are in a playoff for the league on Sunday Clap

And we were doing a 'build the prefect player' exercise with them a few weeks back and we asked each one who their favourite player is,we got Rooney,Messi etc and one kid said Ross.Get in there Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:50pm

Clap

BUMP

My under 9s are in a playoff for the league on Sunday Clap

And we were doing a 'build the prefect player' exercise with them a few weeks back and we asked each one who their favourite player is,we got Rooney,Messi etc and one kid said Ross.Get in there Clap

Haha, confidence boost I'm sure

Good stuff Z, never coached anyone that young but I'm looking forward to getting a group of lads at that age and following through the ranks. By the time they're under 18 they'll be an unstoppable posession team Clap

Second half tonight our GK got 4 touches of the ball. About 7 million passes and 90% posession! It's extremely satisfying when a plan comes together

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:01pm
Ah yeah,its a nice feeling when you work on things in training and they replicate them on a match day.Obviously at under 9s they can be inconsistent in training and matches but once their attitude is right you can accept that.

Our girls won the Leinster U16 Cup the other night too and the U14 boys won the All Ireland yesterday.

How do the older lads react to you Mark?I wouldn't fancy coaching older than 14s.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:19pm
To be honest they're grand. This is my third season so I've kinda cemebnted myself there. We play the football they love playing so they have good time for me and Mick. They know if they f**k about, don't try or turn up at training, then they don't play. End of story. They're a great bunch of lads, very talented and I can't wait to start the FAI in September!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:20pm
17s Continue Imressive Run

The Under 17 A team continued their impressive form with a comprehensive 11-0 win over Kilmurry last Monday. Celtic dominated the first half with a large amount of posession, and Kilmurry found it hard to keep Celtic at bay. Adam Chambers in goal was confident throughout and his distribution was excellent. This gave Celtic a great edge as it provided width and a very quick attack which Kilmurry found hard to deal with. Noe Baba, playing at left back, scored his first of the day after some terrific link up play with Colm Nevin, who sent Baba through on goal who made no mistake slotting it past the 'keeper. 2 similar goals were to follow from the left, ourtesy of Cian Brennan and Baba's second. The half time score was a well deserved 3-0. The movement, passing and work rate in this team is improving every week and it was clear to see after a superb first half display.

The second half started with a bang with top scorer Jordan Loftus letting fly from 30 yards and struck a beauty into the top right corner. Jamie Ivers tried to go one better with a bullet from 35 yards that went straight into the top left corner. Ivers was quick to dismiss any "nonsensical and outrageous" bull-toe rumours. Patrick Boyle chipped in with a wonderful finish after beating the high Kilmurry line. He was sent through by Colm Nevin and then Boyle, staying calm and composed, chipped the ball beyond the 'keeper's reach to grab his 5th of the season. Noe Baba completed his hat-trick, Jordan Loftus and Cian Brennan added to their tally, and substitutes Gary Walsh and Matthew Ruane chipped in with a goal each.

The management were, yet again, delighted with the performance. "We've been delighted with the progress of this squad and they've just been improving with every game they play. The lads are enjoying their football and that's what counts at the end of the day."

Celtic's next game is at home to Ballyheane, date to be confirmed.

Celtic: Adam Chambers; Michael Hall, Steve Walsh (c), Jamie Ivers (Smyth, 70), Noe Baba; Gerry Hunt (McDermott, 58), Colm Nevin (Ruane, 55), Keith Mulchrone (Walsh, 55), Cian Brennan; Jordan Loftus, Patrick Boyle.

Subs: Kenneth McDermott, Alex Smyth, Gary Walsh, Matthew Ruane

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:28pm

Thanks again to the lads for a cracking set of jersies

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2011 at 3:36pm
Baba for Ireland.

Date Posted: 17 May 2011 at 3:42pm

BUMP

1 game left on Sat,win that+we get 3rd with my daughter being the top scorerClap
also BSM jr,age6,played his 1st ever game tonight,playing on the "A" team a year older then his age group,did very well

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

BUMP

1 game left on Sat,win that+we get 3rd with my daughter being the top scorerClap
also BSM jr,age6,played his 1st ever game tonight,playing on the "A" team a year older then his age group,did very well
Helping Out rather than Managing these days BSM!

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:18pm
Absolutely tribal, the guy is ridiculous. He scored a hat trick last night from left back!! And he's been captaining the Ireland 15s for ages now.

But there's another lad on our team that deserves a shot because the guy is a special player... He hasn't been given a proper shot, which is beyond belief.

-------------

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 18 May 2011 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Mafi Mushkila Mafi Mushkila wrote:

Not been doing any coaching since moving to London as don't have the time over here but I have been promoted to Head Coach for this summers soccer schools Thumbs Up

I know you have the coaching bug and a really useful course I did a while back was an SAQ course with SAQ Ireland would highly recommend it Thumbs Up

Re SAQ
Mafi I cant find how much it costs on their site. Can you recall, what you paid for the level 1 course?

Thanks
Huggy

Date Posted: 19 May 2011 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Re SAQ
Mafi I cant find how much it costs on their site. Can you recall, what you paid for the level 1 course?

Thanks
Huggy

I can't for the life of me remember only did the foundation course and it was a while back. Drop them an email would probably be the best thing to do!

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 20 May 2011 at 6:57am

Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Re SAQ

Thanks
Huggy

I can't for the life of me remember only did the foundation course and it was a while back. Drop them an email would probably be the best thing to do!

Cheers mafi

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:23pm
http://www.coerver.com/ - http://www.coerver.com/

These guys coming to Dublin to do a 2-day course in August. If interested drop me a PM for some info on it, got a kinda powerpoint presentation type email today Thinking I might head up ad do it, heard great things about it.

On a side note, huge week coming up for my teams!

Under 17 Cup semi final on Saturday
Under 17 league decider on Monday
Under 17 girls cup semi final on Tuesday, all at home

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 2:16am

http://www.coerver.com/ - http://www.coerver.com/

These guys coming to Dublin to do a 2-day course in August. If interested drop me a PM for some info on it, got a kinda powerpoint presentation type email today Thinking I might head up ad do it, heard great things about it.

On a side note, huge week coming up for my teams!

Under 17 Cup semi final on Saturday
Under 17 league decider on Monday
Under 17 girls cup semi final on Tuesday, all at home
where is the course on mark?how come your leagues arnt finished yet?DDSL finished weeks ago,my team are going from small sided game to full size pitch,big changes for the lads

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 2:21am

The under 17 setup here is new and had a few teething probs, and as 2 of us ib the league were still involved in u16 FAI games were called off. So the one outstanding fixture had to wait til the feckin exams finished!!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 2:23am

The under 17 setup here is new and had a few teething probs, and as 2 of us ib the league were still involved in u16 FAI games were called off. So the one outstanding fixture had to wait til the feckin exams finished!!

do you need only 20mins sleep a night?where is the coever course on?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 2:25am
Yes, and check PMs

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net