Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI Football Pathways Program

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:38pm
GAA is like the mafia. Once you go in you can never get out.
I love beer gardens
Sponsored Links

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

A lad in my school, in a pure GAA area, a parish which didn't have or still doesn't to this day have a soccer club, who's father made the county panel in GAA Football & was head neck knees & ankles involved in the local club, chose soccer, and this was twenty years ago. He got UK trials, got a six month contract followed by a three year deal at an EPL club. Made first team, played 21s for Ireland and ended up having a very good lower league career. Is now a manager in English non league. 

Back then, that area had no soccer level of interest to UK scouting  ( and still doesn't  ) so he had to commute to Cherry Orchard several times a week, to train and it wasn't a short drive, it was several hours.

His father & family drove him. 

So I don't get it that soccer shouldn't offer those options in GAA heartlands. It won't be easy & there will be casualties, but dig in, offer the pathway, offer credible coaching  ( very important ) and compete. There aren't other easier options, if you want to reach out to potential talent outside the big population centers. 

Edited by Scissors Kick - 21 Feb 2024 at 8:32pm
Thorn View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 9:48am
This is my experience in the Roscommon District league. At underage it's a summer league, begins in April finishes September/October. I've coached teams for 10 years. The fixtures are pretty much set in stone, I.e. U14s play Monday evenings, U12's Tuesdays and so on. Fixtures set months in advance. 

The league pauses in July/August and 7 a side competitions take over, this compensates for players going on holiday and the league resumes again after that.

Last year Roscommon GAA changed some of their underage fixtures so that they clashed with the soccer. The parents put serious pressure on the GAA and they relented and revised their fixtures to avoid clashing.

In my experience the kids prefer playing soccer but the GAA has a serious hold over the parents and they are nearly forced to play it. One of the issues is that of the local GAA clubs and their coaches. A local club schedules 2 training sessions & a gym session and a game a week for U12's, also warning the kids if they don't attend all then they won't play.

Summer soccer is way more pleasurable for everyone involved, the kids love consistent games, it's easier to train and keep their interest. Unfortunately if it becomes impossible to field soccer teams in GAA strongholds then so be it, but if agreement can be made on the scheduling of fixtures it can be done. Winter football is dead, pitches are unplayable for months at a time and we must do what's right for the game.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 11:58am
A gym session (I know they won’t be deadlifting their bodyweight but still) for U-12’s at the expense of a session to develop technical skill is insane LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 12:06pm
If you don't love the GAA can you even call yourself Irish?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Like the boot of a Renault Megane
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Thorn View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 1:24pm
I could see Sport Ireland having a role in this as an honest broker. Soccer has the biggest numbers of participants so it really should be in a stronger position. Sport Ireland could broker a deal with the GAA and County Boards to avoid fixture clashing.

For instance U14s could be given Monday evenings for soccer nationally and no GAA fixtures for that age group would be scheduled to clash. Training is a different issue and I think it would need to be worked out locally.

The kids should be at the centre of this and if they want to play different sports then governing bodies should be looking at how to facilitate it. Having had a few years of summer league I just can't see how anyone would prefer to be playing on grass(muck) in the winter.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 1:51pm
GAA has become the ultimate spoofers paradise. Gym sessions for 10 and 11 year olds. Give me strength 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

GAA has become the ultimate spoofers paradise. Gym sessions for 10 and 11 year olds. Give me strength 

You’ll need it those kids would destroy you.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 6:03pm
LOL
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 6:10pm
May as well rip this up. Completely unbackable.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Nielnik1 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nielnik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2024 at 10:26pm
The government's financial support of young sports is something I like. The best approach to make sure you raise a generation of intelligent and healthy people is to invest money in your youth. I wish this had existed when we were younger. 
Faisal978 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faisal978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2024 at 10:58pm
I appreciate the government's financial support of youth sports. Investing in your young is the best way to ensure that you create a generation of healthy, educated individuals.

Edited by Faisal978 - 18 Apr 2024 at 1:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic