Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=59000
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 5:12pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: FAI Football Pathways Program
Posted By: Borussia
Subject: FAI Football Pathways Program
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 12:27pm
....finally unveiled today. Longer term, more important than who the next manager is.

https://www.fai.ie/latest/football-association-ireland-unveils-football-pathways-plan/" rel="nofollow - https://www.fai.ie/latest/football-association-ireland-unveils-football-pathways-plan/

Replies:
Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 1:43pm
Longer term? You're optimistic they'll finally get a manager!

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: decidewhattobe
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 2:17pm
Hard to picture how they implement summer soccer (not supposed to call it summer soccer I know) with how badly it failed last time. 
From what I read it doesn't sound like they don't have any timelines for when they hope to move to summer soccer other than by 2026? 

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:49am

I'm surprised that such an important plan for Irish football hasnt registered much interest in here. The reception seems to be reasonably positive online. Has anyone seen any good articles/ podcasts etc outlining the pro's and cons? 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:52am
Sadly it’s timing is just brutal, not only overshadowed by the manager hunt but then the 50mill for Casement announced on the same day has everyone speaking about lack of funding football gets 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:55am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm surprised that such an important plan for Irish football hasnt registered much interest in here. The reception seems to be reasonably positive online. Has anyone seen any good articles/ podcasts etc outlining the pro's and cons? 

From what I've seen there is pushback down the country and some feel it puts football in competition with the GAA.

Posted By: giveittochristie
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

From what I've seen there is pushback down the country and some feel it puts football in competition with the GAA.

Consensus seems to be it will impact on participation levels but will make those who stick around better players.

I don't see how not playing in December/January impacts on things - over recent years i've barely played a game in those two months and training with no games is a chore. For kids, they have futsal planned - that seems like a great idea. There's also a proposal to take a break in the summer at the peak of GAA season. This seems like a good idea, but you can't avoid GAA completely (it seems to be all year around these days).

Definitely worth a go in my opinion, but if a few leagues decide to stay with winter football, i wonder what happens then...

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:59am

Need to find the proper downtime that I can sit down and read it with full attention

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:01am
No issue with taking on the GAA for me.

The type of lads who excel at Gaelic Football are not the type of lads who develop into technical modern-day footballers.

Long gone are the days when you had Kevin Moran playing for Dublin and United simultaneously, football has moved on, and GAA never will.

Our football pyramid needs serious re-alignment, and if that means that we lose out on a google of physical, hoofball style cloggers in favour of getting our most technical prospects playing together regularly then so be it...

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

The type of lads who excel at Gaelic Football are not the type of lads who develop into technical modern-day footballers.

Long gone are the days when you had Kevin Moran playing for Dublin and United simultaneously, football has moved on, and GAA never will.

Our football pyramid needs serious re-alignment, and if that means that we lose out on a google of physical, hoofball style cloggers in favour of getting our most technical prospects playing together regularly then so be it...
It's not just gaelic football though, it's hurling also e.g. Shane Long.

I'm not disagreeing with the need to move by the way - I'd be for it.
But have a mate who coaches an under 14 team down the country who thinks he'll lose a lot of players with the move.

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:03am
I think it will 100% impact participation levels as it goes head to head with the current GAA season.

My other gripe is it has seasons finishing in November traditionally 
When pitches are poor.

By moving to a calendar season the very important summer window for pitch maintenance and repair is now effectively removed.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:06am

You are talking about top level players here.

Small rural clubs who rely on players who play multiple codes will definitely be impacted a blind man can see this.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:06am
Would be interesting to hear what the views are of anybody who coaches kids (like Horsebox for example).

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:13am

But have a mate who coaches an under 14 team down the country who thinks he'll lose a lot of players with the move.

That's OK, the more talented and cultured athletes almost always choose football.

The guys who are just strong and fast almost always chose the parochial game.

When you're playing Spain away and they're passing the ball around our lads like they aren't there, you can't just shrug your shoulders and say "but the GAA..." This is our chance to get our best players together and aligned to ensure a consistent flow of technically proficient talent to our league and international team.

Those who dream of scoring goals against World Champions and playing at Euros will play football (Shane Long), and those who dream of beating the next parish over in the local field will play Hurling and GAA. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:15am

That's OK, the more talented and cultured athletes almost always choose football.

The guys who are just strong and fast almost always chose the parochial game.

When you're playing Spain away and they're passing the ball around our lads like they aren't there, you can't just shrug your shoulders and say "but the GAA..." This is our chance to get our best players together and aligned to ensure a consistent flow of technically proficient talent to our league and international team.

Those who dream of scoring goals against World Champions and playing at Euros will play football (Shane Long), and those who dream of beating the next parish over in the local field will play Hurling and GAA. 
But the thing is, and it's been mentioned on here, playing multiple sports is an advantage for kids - The likes of Benfica are trying to get their academy players to do it - and we have that advantage already. So I don't think we should dismiss it. 
As I said, I think the plan is a good thing but just am just trying to understand some of the issues people seem to be flagging.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:17am

I was only speaking about Futsal recently. There’s huge untapped potential for kids to be playing this in poor weather conditions 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:18am

Would be interesting to hear what the views are of anybody who coaches kids (like Horsebox for example).

I coach at underage level I’ll put it to you this way the GAA season is starting back now I posted the majority of our remaining fixtures back in January.

There is little to no wiggle room with our fixtures.

The GAA fixtures have arrived recently for that period there was a clash for a few weeks times and thankfully the GAA coaches were able to move their fixture.

Because I know for sure we would lose players in a clash and we are going well in the league and any points dropped would really come against the team.

It’s as simple as that the GAA carries sway and will put pressure on to not play soccer games and players will listen to them.

It’s really that simple.

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:23am
20 years of summer soccer in Mayo. Been nothing but a massive success. In the time we have seen some Connacht Cups at junior level, plenty at underage level, an FAI junior cup and a couple of FAI Youth cups with another final appearance.

Pre season now and frankly if this is what the season is like then I wouldn't do it. It's utter misery. sh*te pitches, horrible weather, cancelled games, astro turf overload. Give me warm days, evening kick offs in the sun any day of the week. 

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:28am

Very interesting Mark. Mayo being a GAA football stronghold traditionally, that’s very encouraging for the rest of the country 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:28am
This can only be positive, GAA basically runs all year round now so competing with it either way. Even if it reduces participation it can only improve the standards, playing through the winter in absolute bogs means only one way of playing and that's to launch it from the back. Virtually impossible to develop technically in them conditions and if good enough, you would imagine that in the early ten years someone would choose soccer over GAA as there's a potential for a career out of it. 

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:34am
personally I wouldn't like it. Our team haven't had a game called off this winter. My old club in Dublin mind you have barely played any because of public pitches. Pitches up here are far better equipped to take on water. Our league has grown too with a new division added. Think we would lose teams if we moved to summer football. Teams with strong Gaelic teams in the area tend to be good in the winter when there's no gaa on. They struggle to field when it isn't. I think it will have a negative effect on adult football in the county. Children's football might be a different story, I don't know. Worth trialling though I suppose

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:37am
Kids shouldn't be playing football in the winter months. It's an absolute shambles. 

The games programme is an excellent idea - everybody across the country should be rowing in the same direction.

All kids should be playing SSG. 
The futson, blitzes, mini leagues, and football camps is a great initiative.

Canham needs to address and recognise that there is Irish people in the occupied 6 counties too.

There needs to be more all weather pitches too - the amount of teams unable to play Saturday\Sunday morning because of the unavailability of pitches needs to be addressed. 

Another issue the format of games - some teams play 9v9 and other teams 11v11. This is mixed and causes issues.

Some u12 girls playing 11v11 - and then other girls teams playing 9v9! There is no consistency here and they really shouldn't be playing 11v11 at that age.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:39am

Very interesting Mark. Mayo being a GAA football stronghold traditionally, that’s very encouraging for the rest of the country 

What I love is that in the Mayo Leagues (junior) everything is run on time. There are no teams 2 or 3 (or 6 or 7!) games behind. Fixtures are out early, they happen when they are supposed to and it's run very well. There are problems, absolutely, but all can be overcome. 

-------------

Posted By: Nax
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:43am
Futsal in the winter is an absolute no brainer with the amount of unused school and parish halls around the country. The plan overall seems like a great idea and as someone doing their coaching badges at the moment and coaching kids teams its a welcome plan. The one thing it lacks any detail on is addressing the lack of UEFA qualified coaches in the country. Doing your badges in Ireland probably no surprise to anyone is very expensive compared to most of our counterparts.  If prices are not going to come down then we need to consolidate the coaching badges into levels like the FA but also try and avoid the situation they have where its almost impossible to go above a certain level without having played professional. Iceland recognised hey had the same issues and if I'm not mistaken anyone over the age of 10 can only be coached by a UEFA licensed coach. That's where we need to get too but that's a long way off. Coaching structure needs a massive overhaul. Use Spain Belgium and Germany as the ideal models to follow.

1. Bring the cost down of where possible and merge workshops that cost 40- 70 euro each in to 2 levels before the UEFA C. Cost needs to be more manageable to encourage more coaches at youth level to progress and go further.

2. Run more courses  the as someone whos been trying to do the National D license for months in Dublin or any surrounding county the lack of courses is insane. Trying to get a reply from anyone in the FAI coaching department is like trying to contact the dead.

3. By all accounts coaches who go on to UEFA A or the pro license need to be well connected and its not necessarily based on merit that needs to change. Ireland doesn't produce top level coaches and this could be one of the main reasons. If you look at Domenico Tedesco's story would he have got on to the pro license in Ireland the reality is probably not. Base it purely on merit there are good coaches I know who are coaching at LOI academy level who cant get on to a UEFA A course in Ireland. 

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:51am
While Summer football has been a resounding success in Mayo, there was absolute meltdown in Galway from clubs responding to the email sent out about this launch two weeks ago. 

I can certainly see the upside of Summer football across the board but for Canham is going to have his work cut out for him to implement it.

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:56am
The gap between the National D license and the UEFA C licence is too big a gap and needs to be addressed.

There are too many unqualified coaches coaching at grass roots level. 

Coaching is like driving in this country - unqualified coaches coaching at grass roots level and drivers on learning permits driving on main roads!

All clubs should have a director of coaching and small clubs should partner up with bigger clubs for this. My son locals club the most qualified coach at the club most likely has as PDP1.

My mate lives in the US and all the local grassroots coaches at his club are all UEFA A coaches - all of them.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:21am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The gap between the National D license and the UEFA C licence is too big a gap and needs to be addressed.

Coaching is like driving in this country - unqualified coaches coaching at grass roots level and drivers on learning permits driving on main roads!

All clubs should have a director of coaching and small clubs should partner up with bigger clubs for this. My son locals club the most qualified coach at the club most likely has as PDP1.

My mate lives in the US and all the local grassroots coaches at his club are all UEFA A coaches - all of them.

Interesting. I'm keen to start my badges. I've a 3 year old who is doing SoccerTots etc but I'll be bringing him to a local football club when he is old enough next year. This is a very basic question but is it a linear pathway through the coaching structure or should I be looking at the likes of Futsal courses (is that a thing that exists?).

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: 84ccfc84
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:24am

how much does it cost to put your kid into a grassroots club in the states for a year in comparison to here?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:26am
I don't know exactly, but it is more expensive.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:29am

Interesting. I'm keen to start my badges. I've a 3 year old who is doing SoccerTots etc but I'll be bringing him to a local football club when he is old enough next year. This is a very basic question but is it a linear pathway through the coaching structure or should I be looking at the likes of Futsal courses (is that a thing that exists?).

I had planned on doing the UEFA C license but got put off it.

I had done most of courses prior to that, but felt it was too big a gap. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxPOPFj5u60&ab_channel=FAITV" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxPOPFj5u60&ab_channel=FAITV

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:30am

Do them all. All the workshops. 7v7, 9v9, futsal, goalkeeping. They are all very, very basic and you'll pick up stuff from most. So my advice, do every one of them before going onto the National D and UEFA C.

-------------

Posted By: Mush Cassidys Donkey
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:31am
it's basically a good plan for Dublin and other urban areas where population is plenty. It will destroy football in rural Ireland. You are going up the machine of the GAA. Tis grand going up against the Egg crowd etc. but you wont beat the GAA in rural Ireland unfortunately. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:31am

Cheers for the info lads. I'm going to start this year. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

it's basically a good plan for Dublin and other urban areas where population is plenty. It will destroy football in rural Ireland. You are going up the machine of the GAA. Tis grand going up against the Egg crowd etc. but you wont beat the GAA in rural Ireland unfortunately. 

MayoMark says that its been a big success in Mayo. I saw John O'Sullivan saying the same about Tipperary. Surely the evidence is that it is working where it has been implemented. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:33am

yeah it can cost a fair whack from what ive heard, know a few over their coaching. the parents in that case are paying for the license. its a lofty ambition but its hard to see something like that happening here in the next 10 years or so... unless the course are heavily subsidised. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:36am

we cant be living in fear of the gaa forever. kids play it 10 months of the year now anyway and they've been forced to choose between the two for years with the current calendars. time for the grown ups to act like grown ups and make things manageable for kids who'd like to play both. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

yeah it can cost a fair whack from what ive heard, know a few over their coaching. the parents in that case are paying for the license. its a lofty ambition but its hard to see something like that happening here in the next 10 years or so... unless the course are heavily subsidised. 

The clubs pay for it here too - you get reimbursed upon completion. 
But there is little appetite for coaches\volunteers to actually complete the courses.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:57am

But there is little appetite for coaches\volunteers to actually complete the courses.

really? im involved with a club myself. have honestly never heard of them paying for somebody to do their licenses. i know there are wealthier clubs around the place here, who im sure would do this (as they pay their senior managers handsomely) but majority ive come across are getting by on bare minimum. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:00pm

really? im involved with a club myself. have honestly never heard of them paying for somebody to do their licenses. i know there are wealthier clubs around the place here, who im sure would do this (as they pay their senior managers handsomely) but majority ive come across are getting by on bare minimum. 

I don't know about the actual UEFA license itself.

But I do know most if not all the clubs would pay for the pre UEFA  courses. They cost every little to be fair.
Some of them are as little as 25e.

25e - FAI 9v9 Workshop BLENDED
45e - FAI PDP2
25e - Football Fitness Intro Blended
25e - GK-Fundamentals
90e - National D licence

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Godzilla
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:02pm

Have we ever produced a senior international from Mayo? I don't think we have.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:09pm
Somebody made a good point there.  Maybe its time to go full on head to head with the GAA and if we lose players so be it.  Maybe we might have less players but better ones?  Let them choose one or the other.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Only one but donkeys years ago and wouldn't consider him to be a product of Mayo football as such. However, far more underage internationals than, say, 20-30 years ago. Baby steps.

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:26pm
and the legend that is Noe BabaHeart

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:30pm
Winter football is a balls.  Encourages sh*te football as the ball gets bogged down in a bog and the lad who can lift it out of that with a big kick excels.  You can pin teams into
Their own box purely because the pitch is so bad.  The best games we have had this year are at clubs that have Astro pitches.  It’s funny but the so called disadvantaged areas have some of the best facilities for football and the affluent areas have crap facilities and are at the behest of a crap council pitch that is usually waterlogged at this time of year.  More futsal and Astro needed and I think move to calendar year season is a good idea and it may result in less players in the short term but it should make it a better technical game as a result.  The muckers can play GAA football. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

and the legend that is Noe BabaHeart

Still only 27. He turned out to be Ireland's version of Freddy Adu.

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:38pm

Sir. Kevin Kilbane Embarrassed

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Sir. Kevin Kilbane Embarrassed

Preston's favourite son.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:15pm

Ollie Conmy was from Mulrany in Mayo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_Conmy" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_Conmy

Links for footballers from each county here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Association_footballers_from_County_Mayo" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Association_footballers_from_County_Mayo

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:41pm

MayoMark says that its been a big success in Mayo. I saw John O'Sullivan saying the same about Tipperary. Surely the evidence is that it is working where it has been implemented. 

There’s a lot of fear mongering about going up against the GAA on potential downsides of switching. But the examples above should be highlighted as examples where it has actually been implemented and seems like it’s been a success. 

The current schedule isn’t working. You only have to listen to the amount of people who say their kids have played 1 game in the last 2 months to see that. Stop worrying about the big bad GAA and focus on successful examples like Mayo and Tipp.

Futsal is a no brainer. The obsession with outdoor sports in a country like Ireland is nonsensical, but that’s for another thread.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

There’s a lot of fear mongering about going up against the GAA on potential downsides of switching. But the examples above should be highlighted as examples where it has actually been implemented and seems like it’s been a success. 

The current schedule isn’t working. You only have to listen to the amount of people who say their kids have played 1 game in the last 2 months to see that. Stop worrying about the big bad GAA and focus on successful examples like Mayo and Tipp.

Futsal is a no brainer. The obsession with outdoor sports in a country like Ireland is nonsensical, but that’s for another thread.

You ask any club currently in a rural area how they get on with their players and who the players will pick in a clash 90% will pick gaa and you can be sure it’s a lot of the top players in the team also.

Clubs take free weekends, hope to play in national competitions, call games off for “unplayable pitches” all to get through championships season in as good as shape as possible to lessen the impact the GAA season will have on their clubs season.

And now to take them on for the whole of championship season will kill clubs or at the very least make them uncompetitive.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:51pm
Was there any mention of how soon it would be rolled out in the comms to the Galway clubs?

I personally think it's a great idea but can understand why some clubs would be worried about competing with GAA. I've always thought it's a case of if you make training fun and challenging enough you will get the players. You might lose some of the better ones to GAA but you should be able to make up numbers who mightn't play otherwise.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:56pm

So Fruice, how do we explain the success of junior football in both Tipp and Mayo then? They are absolute GAA heartlands. 

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:57pm
You are also ignoring the fact that GAA already overlaps with football

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:58pm
Also worth noting Mayo are in Oscar Traynor semi final. won 3 from 3 in their group. Beat Kerry in last 8 last Sunday 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

You ask any club currently in a rural area how they get on with their players and who the players will pick in a clash 90% will pick gaa and you can be sure it’s a lot of the top players in the team also.

Clubs take free weekends, hope to play in national competitions, call games off for “unplayable pitches” all to get through championships season in as good as shape as possible to lessen the impact the GAA season will have on their clubs season.

And now to take them on for the whole of championship season will kill clubs or at the very least make them uncompetitive.

I don’t think we should be dictated to by fit lads who play GAA and treat football as a bit on the side.  Let them off.  Most of them are pricks anyway who like hoofball. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:02pm
I can’t explain Tipp & Mayo.
I can only tell you from my own extensive experience of the GAA VS Soccer in rural Ireland.
Listen to Kevin Doyle’s take on it on Rte last night would absolutely mirror our situation and he states they are one of the biggest clubs in Wexford players wise.

We most certainly are not.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:05pm
Fruice, I coach in rural Ireland and I understand there is a fight on our hands. But the reality is that people who want to play soccer will play soccer. They are who we need to be fully focused on anyways, not lads who will drop you as soon as the first junior B Championship game comes about. It's up to us to raise standards, raise expectations and the players will respond.

There is also no reason in the world why players can't do both, now with the split GAA season. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:07pm

I can’t explain Tipp & Mayo.
I can only tell you from my own extensive experience of the GAA VS Soccer in rural Ireland.
Listen to Kevin Doyle’s take on it on Rte last night would absolutely mirror our situation and he states they are one of the biggest clubs in Wexford players wise.

We most certainly are not.

So why not see if we can replicate the success that’s already happened elsewhere. If we keep doing the same things, don’t expect different results

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I don’t think we should be dictated to by fit lads who play GAA and treat football as a bit on the side.  Let them off.  Most of them are pricks anyway who like hoofball. 

You obviously don’t encounter this problem.

Plenty of these “pricks” as you so eloquently put it are fine players.

But in rural clubs the pick isn’t there to cope with their loss.

It will reduce competition, reduce the standard of players & coaches available which is the exact opposite of what this document seeks todo

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:08pm
If football didn't exist in this country at the moment, if it was being newly introduced and if you were heading up introducing it - If you suggested playing throughout the winter in Ireland everyone would tell you that you are bonkers. It's insane at the moment really and has to change, if it loses players in the short term so be it, it will gain players in the long run and improve the standard in Ireland. 

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: Tapo
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:09pm
Players looking for a career but are playing both will have to make a decision at some point anyway. Might as well have the ones who want to play football doing so without distraction.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:12pm
It’s not like football was ever at risk of losing Xabi Alonso to the GAA.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Fruice, I coach in rural Ireland and I understand there is a fight on our hands. But the reality is that people who want to play soccer will play soccer. They are who we need to be fully focused on anyways, not lads who will drop you as soon as the first junior B Championship game comes about. It's up to us to raise standards, raise expectations and the players will respond.

There is also no reason in the world why players can't do both, now with the split GAA season. 

You will not raise the standards in rural Ireland if you go head to head with the gaa.
We have players that play 3 codes soccer, hurling and football.

To be fair to our lads as it stands they will play somewhere between 70 & 85 % of our games in the main.

Should we go ahead with this we will see that number drop well below 50% these are good players gone from our teams it happens county wide.

And one thing which hasnt been taken into account is the players themselves they want to play them all but this intensive schedule will lead to more injuries.

The elite level is totally different 

Posted By: TooOldForThis
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:18pm
The heartlands of football is surely urban. We can't base policy and innovation on the local context of every rural parish. If football is their bit on the side, and their true love is GAA, let them trot off.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:21pm

You will not raise the standards in rural Ireland if you go head to head with the gaa.

To be fair to our lads as it stands they will play somewhere between 70 & 85 % of our games in the main.

Should we go ahead with this we will see that number drop well below 50% these are good players gone from our teams it happens county wide.

And one thing which hasnt been taken into account is the players themselves they want to play them all but this intensive schedule will lead to more injuries.

The thing here Fruice though is that you are speculating. I'm telling you I have direct experience. Some battles for players you will win and some you will lose. I coach a men's team in a rural area where GAA is absolutely huge. Recently done back to back Mayo titles.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:45pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

You obviously don’t encounter this problem.

Plenty of these “pricks” as you so eloquently put it are fine players.

But in rural clubs the pick isn’t there to cope with their loss.

It will reduce competition, reduce the standard of players & coaches available which is the exact opposite of what this document seeks todo

I was on teams were this was a huge issue.  They would drop the team for the GAA team like a hot snot and then stroll back into the team because they were fitter.  It kills team morale too and most of them wanted to kick it long and pitches being crap meant it was agricultural most of the time and that got results.  Team improved when the majority of the players went to the manager and said it kills team spirit to have lads drop in and drop out at their leisure. These lads are not the future of football in this country.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:45pm
We have very little to risk by trying it. The current model doesn’t work and most certainly won’t work going forward as we are seeing more and more matches (or maybe we are just being made aware of these) called off.

We’re as at much of a risk of losing players due to inactivity related to missing weeks/months of games because of them being called off as we are of players choosing GAA over football. It’s very demotivating for any player to miss weeks and weeks of games. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:46pm

The thing here Fruice though is that you are speculating. I'm telling you I have direct experience. Some battles for players you will win and some you will lose. I coach a men's team in a rural area where GAA is absolutely huge. Recently done back to back Mayo titles.

That’s it in a nutshell. If it can be a success in one of the biggest GAA counties on the island, there’s a chance for it to work in others.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 2:50pm

Mark whilst I may be speculating on the summer season I’ve been at this for 20 plus years and I’m speaking from experience when it comes to clashes with the gaa and I know the reasons our players aren’t available and gaa accounts for the majority.

In cork from late July  to at least mid September at least if you are dual player all those weekends are championship season we would lose at least Half our starting team for that period we would be a significantly weaker team for it.

You spoke earlier about the success of mayo club’s nationally over the past 20 years what season did those competitions follow?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:00pm
External comps follow a winter season which is a major disadvantage to Mayo teams, so Mayo teams performing well is a testament to the clubs themselves, not a consequence of the competition's timing.

I have been doing this for 15 years Fruice. I'm also speaking from experience. But I am speaking of 15 years experience of summer soccer. There is no serious football person in Mayo who would go back to winter football. Everything about it is better. Better pitches (grass ones!) because of better weather. Better quality football because of better pitches. Better crowds because the weather isn't sh*t. And I am going to assume better retention of volunteers. Because if we went back to winter soccer I wouldn't bother my hole. I do this because I enjoy it! 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:14pm

External comps follow a winter season which is a major disadvantage to Mayo teams, so Mayo teams performing well is a testament to the clubs themselves, not a consequence of the competition's timing.

I have been doing this for 15 years Fruice. I'm also speaking from experience. But I am speaking of 15 years experience of summer soccer. There is no serious football person in Mayo who would go back to winter football. Everything about it is better. Better pitches (grass ones!) because of better weather. Better quality football because of better pitches. Better crowds because the weather isn't sh*t. And I am going to assume better retention of volunteers. Because if we went back to winter soccer I wouldn't bother my hole. I do this because I enjoy it! 

Yes so nondirect clash with gaa championship season.

And correct me if I wrong Mayo has no Senior or Intermediate clubs which is a huge help in also achieving this success.

I’m not  doubting you are speaking from experience but for you to say I’m speculating is unfair and incorrect.

In an ideal world I would love nothing more than to play in the better weather but I know for sure July to effectively October for a club with a moderately successful gaa club in the area would be a nightmare.

And the purpose of the new FAI document is to increase numbers and it won’t if we are to go head with the gaa.

Think of underage coaches the vast majority of coaches within our club are also GAA coaches.

People will be out 6 times in a week coaching you would ultimately lose coaches they wouldn’t have the time todo it all.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:18pm
But Fruice, you are speculating. Because you're talking about what would happen. I am telling you that it's not without it's challenges, but it's totally worth it. and what I am speaking about HAS happened. 

There is no senior or intermediate soccer in Connacht at all so I don't think that's relevant.

I am not sure what you mean by "yes so direct clash with GAA" Fruice, sorry

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:20pm

Yes so nondirect clash with gaa championship season.

And correct me if I wrong Mayo has no Senior or Intermediate clubs which is a huge help in also achieving this success.

I’m not  doubting you are speaking from experience but for you to say I’m speculating is unfair and incorrect.

In an ideal world I would love nothing more than to play in the better weather but I know for sure July to effectively October for a club with a moderately successful gaa club in the area would be a nightmare.

And the purpose of the new FAI document is to increase numbers and it won’t if we are to go head with the gaa.

Think of underage coaches the vast majority of coaches within our club are also GAA coaches.

People will be out 6 times in a week coaching you would ultimately lose coaches they wouldn’t have the time todo it all.

Is it not the case under the plan that there wouldn't be football league games in July and August so therefore no clash for those months? I had read it that those months would just have blitzes, short sided games etc after the initial block of league games would be over.

Is there not also a chance you might get new people interested in coaching football who aren't interested it getting pissed upon in the cold of winter? 

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:25pm
Surely the simple solution for rural clubs is for them simply to merge with the club in the parish beside them. Instead of a county having 40 or 50 small clubs they now will have 20 larger ones 

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: notpropaganda73
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:34pm
Obviously players will be lost in the clash with GAA but I think there's a bit of an underestimation of the popularity and appetite for football in the country. I'm from the back of beyond in Donegal and honestly there are GAA clubs I know locally that would be sh*tting themselves at this change in terms of losing kids to football. Swings and roundabouts. 

Not doubting the challenges or dismissing the concerns Fruice is talking about, of course there'll be negative impacts but I really think the positives of summer football outweigh any potential negatives

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:38pm
Absolutely there are challenges, but nothing that can't be overcome. 

-------------

Posted By: Celticbhoy32
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:57pm
Kilkenny here. GAA is like a cult. Small village where same boys\girls play soccer and hurling. When it comes to clashing the gaa always win. Lot of parents would pull kids from a soccer fixture to attend hurling training. No lie

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 3:58pm
Credit to several of you here, interesting content to read re yesterdays document. Fair play. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Celticbhoy32 Celticbhoy32 wrote:

Kilkenny here. GAA is like a cult. Small village where same boys\girls play soccer and hurling. When it comes to clashing the gaa always win. Lot of parents would pull kids from a soccer fixture to attend hurling training. No lie

But out of curiosity, has the current system benefited football in anyway in the county? The only senior Irish internationals I can see to have come out of Kilkenny are Karen Duggan and Ellen Molloy (but I might be wrong).

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:14pm

Hurling is king in KK and that won’t change. There’s no point in not implementing a nationwide program for some outliers, KK being one of the biggest ones in terms of it being purely Hurling.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Tapo Tapo wrote:

But out of curiosity, has the current system benefited football in anyway in the county? The only senior Irish internationals I can see to have come out of Kilkenny are Karen Duggan and Ellen Molloy (but I might be wrong).

He's long since retired, but Matt O'Mahoney had a few caps in the 1930s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_OMahoney" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_O%27Mahoney

List of players from Kilkenny here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Association_footballers_from_County_Kilkenny" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Association_footballers_from_County_Kilkenny

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:25pm
seanie Maguire I suppose would be the main one. I'm being selfish in my view point I guess. I just dislike the GAA and their power over people

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:37pm
A risk worth taking IMO. We will lose players but then it's also possible we will gain players too. The summer schedule seems to only truly kick in at u15s as well or am I mistaken? From looking at the document it seems up to u14s the main league phase of the soccer season will finish in June and after that it's a mix of summer camps, blitzes and smaller competitions. You'd imagine for any kid 14 and under there is plenty of scope there to play soccer and GAA.

By 15 the kids we seriously want to focusing on developing will have already been identified, many of them will be choosing one sport over the other anyway by that age. 

As someone said above maybe having less rural clubs and having mergers between certain clubs would not be the worst outcome either. Lots to debate but I think we have to go with it, can't fare much worse and encouraging to hear it works great in places such as Mayo where the GAA is so strong. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:43pm
When do the GAA hurling and football start and finish for youngsters?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:51pm
They can run from March until September, maybe even October depending on how the teams are doing. At least here in Galway.

I definitely think it's worth doing. I think if clubs put on good training sessions, give people playing time and make it enjoyable to play games then they will get enough to field teams. You might lose out on a some people who lock in on GAA but you might also gain a few who wouldn't have played in the first place.

The odds on any player who was going to make it, not making it now because the focus on GAA is probably minuscule. And for those who do stay it will only benefit them.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 4:56pm

When do the GAA hurling and football start and finish for youngsters?

The minute they take their first breath and when they take take their last one.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:16pm

seanie Maguire I suppose would be the main one. I'm being selfish in my view point I guess. I just dislike the GAA and their power over people

Cant be easy living in a hurling stronghold when you’re a football person!! I guess my point was that in the long run it could be more beneficial for the people that choose football from an early age to get a better share of the resources rather than it going to people that will more than likely switch to GAA in the future. 

I used to know a kid from a hurling town that played football and hurling. He had a close relative that was very active in the League of Ireland. I asked him if he knew whether he would choose football or hurling, it was 100% hurling, even with the relative being involved. He was only about ten at the time, but he already knew what he wanted.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:34pm
as poster above said, hurling is king in Kilkenny. The problem is there's plenty of room for both but a few will try and sabotage kids enjoying and playing "that aul foreign game". 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:37pm

as poster above said, hurling is king in Kilkenny. The problem is there's plenty of room for both but a few will try and sabotage kids enjoying and playing "that aul foreign game". 

It’s a f**king cult.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:38pm
Yeah it’s a shame. If both organisations worked together in regions where there’s crossover everyone would benefit

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:38pm
GAA is like the mafia. Once you go in you can never get out.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

A lad in my school, in a pure GAA area, a parish which didn't have or still doesn't to this day have a soccer club, who's father made the county panel in GAA Football & was head neck knees & ankles involved in the local club, chose soccer, and this was twenty years ago. He got UK trials, got a six month contract followed by a three year deal at an EPL club. Made first team, played 21s for Ireland and ended up having a very good lower league career. Is now a manager in English non league. 

Back then, that area had no soccer level of interest to UK scouting  ( and still doesn't  ) so he had to commute to Cherry Orchard several times a week, to train and it wasn't a short drive, it was several hours.

His father & family drove him. 

So I don't get it that soccer shouldn't offer those options in GAA heartlands. It won't be easy & there will be casualties, but dig in, offer the pathway, offer credible coaching  ( very important ) and compete. There aren't other easier options, if you want to reach out to potential talent outside the big population centers. 

Posted By: Thorn
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 9:48am
This is my experience in the Roscommon District league. At underage it's a summer league, begins in April finishes September/October. I've coached teams for 10 years. The fixtures are pretty much set in stone, I.e. U14s play Monday evenings, U12's Tuesdays and so on. Fixtures set months in advance. 

The league pauses in July/August and 7 a side competitions take over, this compensates for players going on holiday and the league resumes again after that.

Last year Roscommon GAA changed some of their underage fixtures so that they clashed with the soccer. The parents put serious pressure on the GAA and they relented and revised their fixtures to avoid clashing.

In my experience the kids prefer playing soccer but the GAA has a serious hold over the parents and they are nearly forced to play it. One of the issues is that of the local GAA clubs and their coaches. A local club schedules 2 training sessions & a gym session and a game a week for U12's, also warning the kids if they don't attend all then they won't play.

Summer soccer is way more pleasurable for everyone involved, the kids love consistent games, it's easier to train and keep their interest. Unfortunately if it becomes impossible to field soccer teams in GAA strongholds then so be it, but if agreement can be made on the scheduling of fixtures it can be done. Winter football is dead, pitches are unplayable for months at a time and we must do what's right for the game.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 11:58am
A gym session (I know they won’t be deadlifting their bodyweight but still) for U-12’s at the expense of a session to develop technical skill is insane LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 12:06pm
If you don't love the GAA can you even call yourself Irish?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Like the boot of a Renault Megane

-------------

Posted By: Thorn
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 1:24pm
I could see Sport Ireland having a role in this as an honest broker. Soccer has the biggest numbers of participants so it really should be in a stronger position. Sport Ireland could broker a deal with the GAA and County Boards to avoid fixture clashing.

For instance U14s could be given Monday evenings for soccer nationally and no GAA fixtures for that age group would be scheduled to clash. Training is a different issue and I think it would need to be worked out locally.

The kids should be at the centre of this and if they want to play different sports then governing bodies should be looking at how to facilitate it. Having had a few years of summer league I just can't see how anyone would prefer to be playing on grass(muck) in the winter.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 1:51pm
GAA has become the ultimate spoofers paradise. Gym sessions for 10 and 11 year olds. Give me strength 

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 5:50pm

GAA has become the ultimate spoofers paradise. Gym sessions for 10 and 11 year olds. Give me strength 

You’ll need it those kids would destroy you.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2024 at 6:03pm
LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net