Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI Football Pathways Program

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't know exactly, but it is more expensive.
yeah it can cost a fair whack from what ive heard, know a few over their coaching. the parents in that case are paying for the license. its a lofty ambition but its hard to see something like that happening here in the next 10 years or so... unless the course are heavily subsidised. 

The clubs pay for it here too - you get reimbursed upon completion. 
But there is little appetite for coaches\volunteers to actually complete the courses.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:57am

yeah it can cost a fair whack from what ive heard, know a few over their coaching. the parents in that case are paying for the license. its a lofty ambition but its hard to see something like that happening here in the next 10 years or so... unless the course are heavily subsidised. 

But there is little appetite for coaches\volunteers to actually complete the courses.

really? im involved with a club myself. have honestly never heard of them paying for somebody to do their licenses. i know there are wealthier clubs around the place here, who im sure would do this (as they pay their senior managers handsomely) but majority ive come across are getting by on bare minimum. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:00pm

really? im involved with a club myself. have honestly never heard of them paying for somebody to do their licenses. i know there are wealthier clubs around the place here, who im sure would do this (as they pay their senior managers handsomely) but majority ive come across are getting by on bare minimum. 

I don't know about the actual UEFA license itself.

But I do know most if not all the clubs would pay for the pre UEFA  courses. They cost every little to be fair.
Some of them are as little as 25e.

25e - FAI 9v9 Workshop BLENDED
45e - FAI PDP2
25e - Football Fitness Intro Blended
25e - GK-Fundamentals
90e - National D licence

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Very interesting Mark. Mayo being a GAA football stronghold traditionally, that’s very encouraging for the rest of the country 

Have we ever produced a senior international from Mayo? I don't think we have.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:09pm
Somebody made a good point there.  Maybe its time to go full on head to head with the GAA and if we lose players so be it.  Maybe we might have less players but better ones?  Let them choose one or the other.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Very interesting Mark. Mayo being a GAA football stronghold traditionally, that’s very encouraging for the rest of the country 

Only one but donkeys years ago and wouldn't consider him to be a product of Mayo football as such. However, far more underage internationals than, say, 20-30 years ago. Baby steps.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:26pm
and the legend that is Noe BabaHeart
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:30pm
Winter football is a balls.  Encourages sh*te football as the ball gets bogged down in a bog and the lad who can lift it out of that with a big kick excels.  You can pin teams into
Their own box purely because the pitch is so bad.  The best games we have had this year are at clubs that have Astro pitches.  It’s funny but the so called disadvantaged areas have some of the best facilities for football and the affluent areas have crap facilities and are at the behest of a crap council pitch that is usually waterlogged at this time of year.  More futsal and Astro needed and I think move to calendar year season is a good idea and it may result in less players in the short term but it should make it a better technical game as a result.  The muckers can play GAA football. 

Edited by Baldrick - 21 Feb 2024 at 12:31pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

and the legend that is Noe BabaHeart

Still only 27. He turned out to be Ireland's version of Freddy Adu.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:38pm

Sir. Kevin Kilbane Embarrassed
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Godzilla View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Sir. Kevin Kilbane Embarrassed

Preston's favourite son.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:15pm

Ollie Conmy was from Mulrany in Mayo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_Conmy

Links for footballers from each county here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Association_footballers_from_County_Mayo

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 21 Feb 2024 at 2:35pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:41pm

Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

it's basically a good plan for Dublin and other urban areas where population is plenty. It will destroy football in rural Ireland. You are going up the machine of the GAA. Tis grand going up against the Egg crowd etc. but you wont beat the GAA in rural Ireland unfortunately. 

MayoMark says that its been a big success in Mayo. I saw John O'Sullivan saying the same about Tipperary. Surely the evidence is that it is working where it has been implemented. 

There’s a lot of fear mongering about going up against the GAA on potential downsides of switching. But the examples above should be highlighted as examples where it has actually been implemented and seems like it’s been a success. 

The current schedule isn’t working. You only have to listen to the amount of people who say their kids have played 1 game in the last 2 months to see that. Stop worrying about the big bad GAA and focus on successful examples like Mayo and Tipp.

Futsal is a no brainer. The obsession with outdoor sports in a country like Ireland is nonsensical, but that’s for another thread.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

it's basically a good plan for Dublin and other urban areas where population is plenty. It will destroy football in rural Ireland. You are going up the machine of the GAA. Tis grand going up against the Egg crowd etc. but you wont beat the GAA in rural Ireland unfortunately. 

MayoMark says that its been a big success in Mayo. I saw John O'Sullivan saying the same about Tipperary. Surely the evidence is that it is working where it has been implemented. 

There’s a lot of fear mongering about going up against the GAA on potential downsides of switching. But the examples above should be highlighted as examples where it has actually been implemented and seems like it’s been a success. 

The current schedule isn’t working. You only have to listen to the amount of people who say their kids have played 1 game in the last 2 months to see that. Stop worrying about the big bad GAA and focus on successful examples like Mayo and Tipp.

Futsal is a no brainer. The obsession with outdoor sports in a country like Ireland is nonsensical, but that’s for another thread.

You ask any club currently in a rural area how they get on with their players and who the players will pick in a clash 90% will pick gaa and you can be sure it’s a lot of the top players in the team also.

Clubs take free weekends, hope to play in national competitions, call games off for “unplayable pitches” all to get through championships season in as good as shape as possible to lessen the impact the GAA season will have on their clubs season.

And now to take them on for the whole of championship season will kill clubs or at the very least make them uncompetitive.

decidewhattobe View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decidewhattobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:51pm
Was there any mention of how soon it would be rolled out in the comms to the Galway clubs?

I personally think it's a great idea but can understand why some clubs would be worried about competing with GAA. I've always thought it's a case of if you make training fun and challenging enough you will get the players. You might lose some of the better ones to GAA but you should be able to make up numbers who mightn't play otherwise.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:56pm

So Fruice, how do we explain the success of junior football in both Tipp and Mayo then? They are absolute GAA heartlands. 
El Puto Amo
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:57pm
You are also ignoring the fact that GAA already overlaps with football
Here we go again
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 1:58pm
Also worth noting Mayo are in Oscar Traynor semi final. won 3 from 3 in their group. Beat Kerry in last 8 last Sunday 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic