You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI Football Pathways Program

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:28am

Very interesting Mark. Mayo being a GAA football stronghold traditionally, that’s very encouraging for the rest of the country 
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:28am
This can only be positive, GAA basically runs all year round now so competing with it either way. Even if it reduces participation it can only improve the standards, playing through the winter in absolute bogs means only one way of playing and that's to launch it from the back. Virtually impossible to develop technically in them conditions and if good enough, you would imagine that in the early ten years someone would choose soccer over GAA as there's a potential for a career out of it. 
Here we go again
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:34am
personally I wouldn't like it. Our team haven't had a game called off this winter. My old club in Dublin mind you have barely played any because of public pitches. Pitches up here are far better equipped to take on water. Our league has grown too with a new division added. Think we would lose teams if we moved to summer football. Teams with strong Gaelic teams in the area tend to be good in the winter when there's no gaa on. They struggle to field when it isn't. I think it will have a negative effect on adult football in the county. Children's football might be a different story, I don't know. Worth trialling though I suppose

Edited by thebronze14 - 21 Feb 2024 at 10:35am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:37am
Kids shouldn't be playing football in the winter months. It's an absolute shambles. 

The games programme is an excellent idea - everybody across the country should be rowing in the same direction.

All kids should be playing SSG. 
The futson, blitzes, mini leagues, and football camps is a great initiative.

Canham needs to address and recognise that there is Irish people in the occupied 6 counties too.

There needs to be more all weather pitches too - the amount of teams unable to play Saturday\Sunday morning because of the unavailability of pitches needs to be addressed. 

Another issue the format of games - some teams play 9v9 and other teams 11v11. This is mixed and causes issues.

Some u12 girls playing 11v11 - and then other girls teams playing 9v9! There is no consistency here and they really shouldn't be playing 11v11 at that age.

Edited by horsebox - 21 Feb 2024 at 10:41am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:39am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Very interesting Mark. Mayo being a GAA football stronghold traditionally, that’s very encouraging for the rest of the country 

What I love is that in the Mayo Leagues (junior) everything is run on time. There are no teams 2 or 3 (or 6 or 7!) games behind. Fixtures are out early, they happen when they are supposed to and it's run very well. There are problems, absolutely, but all can be overcome. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Nax View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:43am
Futsal in the winter is an absolute no brainer with the amount of unused school and parish halls around the country. The plan overall seems like a great idea and as someone doing their coaching badges at the moment and coaching kids teams its a welcome plan. The one thing it lacks any detail on is addressing the lack of UEFA qualified coaches in the country. Doing your badges in Ireland probably no surprise to anyone is very expensive compared to most of our counterparts.  If prices are not going to come down then we need to consolidate the coaching badges into levels like the FA but also try and avoid the situation they have where its almost impossible to go above a certain level without having played professional. Iceland recognised hey had the same issues and if I'm not mistaken anyone over the age of 10 can only be coached by a UEFA licensed coach. That's where we need to get too but that's a long way off. Coaching structure needs a massive overhaul. Use Spain Belgium and Germany as the ideal models to follow.

1. Bring the cost down of where possible and merge workshops that cost 40- 70 euro each in to 2 levels before the UEFA C. Cost needs to be more manageable to encourage more coaches at youth level to progress and go further.

2. Run more courses  the as someone whos been trying to do the National D license for months in Dublin or any surrounding county the lack of courses is insane. Trying to get a reply from anyone in the FAI coaching department is like trying to contact the dead.

3. By all accounts coaches who go on to UEFA A or the pro license need to be well connected and its not necessarily based on merit that needs to change. Ireland doesn't produce top level coaches and this could be one of the main reasons. If you look at Domenico Tedesco's story would he have got on to the pro license in Ireland the reality is probably not. Base it purely on merit there are good coaches I know who are coaching at LOI academy level who cant get on to a UEFA A course in Ireland. 

Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:51am
While Summer football has been a resounding success in Mayo, there was absolute meltdown in Galway from clubs responding to the email sent out about this launch two weeks ago. 

I can certainly see the upside of Summer football across the board but for Canham is going to have his work cut out for him to implement it.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:56am
The gap between the National D license and the UEFA C licence is too big a gap and needs to be addressed.

There are too many unqualified coaches coaching at grass roots level. 

Coaching is like driving in this country - unqualified coaches coaching at grass roots level and drivers on learning permits driving on main roads!

All clubs should have a director of coaching and small clubs should partner up with bigger clubs for this. My son locals club the most qualified coach at the club most likely has as PDP1.

My mate lives in the US and all the local grassroots coaches at his club are all UEFA A coaches - all of them.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:21am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The gap between the National D license and the UEFA C licence is too big a gap and needs to be addressed.

Coaching is like driving in this country - unqualified coaches coaching at grass roots level and drivers on learning permits driving on main roads!

All clubs should have a director of coaching and small clubs should partner up with bigger clubs for this. My son locals club the most qualified coach at the club most likely has as PDP1.

My mate lives in the US and all the local grassroots coaches at his club are all UEFA A coaches - all of them.

Interesting. I'm keen to start my badges. I've a 3 year old who is doing SoccerTots etc but I'll be bringing him to a local football club when he is old enough next year. This is a very basic question but is it a linear pathway through the coaching structure or should I be looking at the likes of Futsal courses (is that a thing that exists?).
El Puto Amo
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:24am

how much does it cost to put your kid into a grassroots club in the states for a year in comparison to here?

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:26am
I don't know exactly, but it is more expensive.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:29am

Interesting. I'm keen to start my badges. I've a 3 year old who is doing SoccerTots etc but I'll be bringing him to a local football club when he is old enough next year. This is a very basic question but is it a linear pathway through the coaching structure or should I be looking at the likes of Futsal courses (is that a thing that exists?).

I had planned on doing the UEFA C license but got put off it.

I had done most of courses prior to that, but felt it was too big a gap. 

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:30am

Do them all. All the workshops. 7v7, 9v9, futsal, goalkeeping. They are all very, very basic and you'll pick up stuff from most. So my advice, do every one of them before going onto the National D and UEFA C.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Mush Cassidys Donkey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mush Cassidys Donkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:31am
it's basically a good plan for Dublin and other urban areas where population is plenty. It will destroy football in rural Ireland. You are going up the machine of the GAA. Tis grand going up against the Egg crowd etc. but you wont beat the GAA in rural Ireland unfortunately. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:31am

Cheers for the info lads. I'm going to start this year. 
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

it's basically a good plan for Dublin and other urban areas where population is plenty. It will destroy football in rural Ireland. You are going up the machine of the GAA. Tis grand going up against the Egg crowd etc. but you wont beat the GAA in rural Ireland unfortunately. 

MayoMark says that its been a big success in Mayo. I saw John O'Sullivan saying the same about Tipperary. Surely the evidence is that it is working where it has been implemented. 
El Puto Amo
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:33am

I don't know exactly, but it is more expensive.
yeah it can cost a fair whack from what ive heard, know a few over their coaching. the parents in that case are paying for the license. its a lofty ambition but its hard to see something like that happening here in the next 10 years or so... unless the course are heavily subsidised. 
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Mush Cassidys Donkey Mush Cassidys Donkey wrote:

we cant be living in fear of the gaa forever. kids play it 10 months of the year now anyway and they've been forced to choose between the two for years with the current calendars. time for the grown ups to act like grown ups and make things manageable for kids who'd like to play both. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic