You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI Football Pathways Program

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAI Football Pathways Program
    Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 12:27pm
....finally unveiled today. Longer term, more important than who the next manager is.

Sponsored Links

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 1:43pm
Longer term? You're optimistic they'll finally get a manager!
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
decidewhattobe View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decidewhattobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 2:17pm
Hard to picture how they implement summer soccer (not supposed to call it summer soccer I know) with how badly it failed last time. 
From what I read it doesn't sound like they don't have any timelines for when they hope to move to summer soccer other than by 2026? 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:49am

I'm surprised that such an important plan for Irish football hasnt registered much interest in here. The reception seems to be reasonably positive online. Has anyone seen any good articles/ podcasts etc outlining the pro's and cons? 
El Puto Amo
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:52am
Sadly it’s timing is just brutal, not only overshadowed by the manager hunt but then the 50mill for Casement announced on the same day has everyone speaking about lack of funding football gets 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:55am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm surprised that such an important plan for Irish football hasnt registered much interest in here. The reception seems to be reasonably positive online. Has anyone seen any good articles/ podcasts etc outlining the pro's and cons? 

From what I've seen there is pushback down the country and some feel it puts football in competition with the GAA.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

From what I've seen there is pushback down the country and some feel it puts football in competition with the GAA.

Consensus seems to be it will impact on participation levels but will make those who stick around better players.

I don't see how not playing in December/January impacts on things - over recent years i've barely played a game in those two months and training with no games is a chore. For kids, they have futsal planned - that seems like a great idea. There's also a proposal to take a break in the summer at the peak of GAA season. This seems like a good idea, but you can't avoid GAA completely (it seems to be all year around these days).

Definitely worth a go in my opinion, but if a few leagues decide to stay with winter football, i wonder what happens then...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:59am

Need to find the proper downtime that I can sit down and read it with full attention
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:01am
No issue with taking on the GAA for me.

The type of lads who excel at Gaelic Football are not the type of lads who develop into technical modern-day footballers.

Long gone are the days when you had Kevin Moran playing for Dublin and United simultaneously, football has moved on, and GAA never will.

Our football pyramid needs serious re-alignment, and if that means that we lose out on a google of physical, hoofball style cloggers in favour of getting our most technical prospects playing together regularly then so be it...
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

The type of lads who excel at Gaelic Football are not the type of lads who develop into technical modern-day footballers.

Long gone are the days when you had Kevin Moran playing for Dublin and United simultaneously, football has moved on, and GAA never will.

Our football pyramid needs serious re-alignment, and if that means that we lose out on a google of physical, hoofball style cloggers in favour of getting our most technical prospects playing together regularly then so be it...
It's not just gaelic football though, it's hurling also e.g. Shane Long.

I'm not disagreeing with the need to move by the way - I'd be for it.
But have a mate who coaches an under 14 team down the country who thinks he'll lose a lot of players with the move.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:03am
I think it will 100% impact participation levels as it goes head to head with the current GAA season.

My other gripe is it has seasons finishing in November traditionally 
When pitches are poor.

By moving to a calendar season the very important summer window for pitch maintenance and repair is now effectively removed.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:06am

You are talking about top level players here.

Small rural clubs who rely on players who play multiple codes will definitely be impacted a blind man can see this.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:06am
Would be interesting to hear what the views are of anybody who coaches kids (like Horsebox for example).
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:13am

But have a mate who coaches an under 14 team down the country who thinks he'll lose a lot of players with the move.

That's OK, the more talented and cultured athletes almost always choose football.

The guys who are just strong and fast almost always chose the parochial game.

When you're playing Spain away and they're passing the ball around our lads like they aren't there, you can't just shrug your shoulders and say "but the GAA..." This is our chance to get our best players together and aligned to ensure a consistent flow of technically proficient talent to our league and international team.

Those who dream of scoring goals against World Champions and playing at Euros will play football (Shane Long), and those who dream of beating the next parish over in the local field will play Hurling and GAA. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:15am

That's OK, the more talented and cultured athletes almost always choose football.

The guys who are just strong and fast almost always chose the parochial game.

When you're playing Spain away and they're passing the ball around our lads like they aren't there, you can't just shrug your shoulders and say "but the GAA..." This is our chance to get our best players together and aligned to ensure a consistent flow of technically proficient talent to our league and international team.

Those who dream of scoring goals against World Champions and playing at Euros will play football (Shane Long), and those who dream of beating the next parish over in the local field will play Hurling and GAA. 
But the thing is, and it's been mentioned on here, playing multiple sports is an advantage for kids - The likes of Benfica are trying to get their academy players to do it - and we have that advantage already. So I don't think we should dismiss it. 
As I said, I think the plan is a good thing but just am just trying to understand some of the issues people seem to be flagging.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:17am

I was only speaking about Futsal recently. There’s huge untapped potential for kids to be playing this in poor weather conditions 
El Puto Amo
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:18am

Would be interesting to hear what the views are of anybody who coaches kids (like Horsebox for example).

I coach at underage level I’ll put it to you this way the GAA season is starting back now I posted the majority of our remaining fixtures back in January.

There is little to no wiggle room with our fixtures.

The GAA fixtures have arrived recently for that period there was a clash for a few weeks times and thankfully the GAA coaches were able to move their fixture.

Because I know for sure we would lose players in a clash and we are going well in the league and any points dropped would really come against the team.

It’s as simple as that the GAA carries sway and will put pressure on to not play soccer games and players will listen to them.

It’s really that simple.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 10:23am
20 years of summer soccer in Mayo. Been nothing but a massive success. In the time we have seen some Connacht Cups at junior level, plenty at underage level, an FAI junior cup and a couple of FAI Youth cups with another final appearance.

Pre season now and frankly if this is what the season is like then I wouldn't do it. It's utter misery. sh*te pitches, horrible weather, cancelled games, astro turf overload. Give me warm days, evening kick offs in the sun any day of the week. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic