You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Given the salary being offered these days. it's likely an ex Irish international with managerial experience that will be in the frame or someone with UK profile, that no longer wants the burden of day to day club management.

The likes of Chris Hughton would likely fit the bill, but he's being doing well at Ghana, so not for now.

I can't see the FAI taking a punt on a younger coaches like Duff or Keane; nor an unknown foreign candidate.

Chris Hughton - I can see it now, a flat back 4 of Coleman, Duffy, Egan, and Doherty. Brady and Hendrick back in midfield, Browne or Keane playing off Ferguson up front. A real dream team.

Nothing wrong with experience. International football is full of ageing stars, especially with lesser nations.
I agree that some of our managers had a tendancy to hang on to the old guard for too long. Youth needs to be given its chance but not at the cost of losing to teams below or what used to be level with us. A few youngsters is enough in any international side.

There's everything wrong with experience when there's no attempt to bring through new players. How many qualification rounds have we went in to with a team that is clearly over the hill and no one in line to replace them because we have completely ignored any sort of contingency planning? It's utterly laughable, young players are relegated to friendly appearances, and their exclusion from competitive games is justified as they "lack experience" (which they'll never get as they only play the odd friendly....). It's a vicious cycle.

It’s the sort of nonsense that stopped us bringing in Rice ASAP when it was evident he had something miles out the ordinary about him. 

Cullen,Egan,O’Shea,Doherty even Collins has garnered a huge amount of experience at his young age. Plenty to build around not to mention Ferguson and the keepers. 
Sponsored Links

zero View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Given the salary being offered these days. it's likely an ex Irish international with managerial experience that will be in the frame or someone with UK profile, that no longer wants the burden of day to day club management.

The likes of Chris Hughton would likely fit the bill, but he's being doing well at Ghana, so not for now.

I can't see the FAI taking a punt on a younger coaches like Duff or Keane; nor an unknown foreign candidate.

Chris Hughton - I can see it now, a flat back 4 of Coleman, Duffy, Egan, and Doherty. Brady and Hendrick back in midfield, Browne or Keane playing off Ferguson up front. A real dream team.

Nothing wrong with experience. International football is full of ageing stars, especially with lesser nations.
I agree that some of our managers had a tendancy to hang on to the old guard for too long. Youth needs to be given its chance but not at the cost of losing to teams below or what used to be level with us. A few youngsters is enough in any international side.

There's everything wrong with experience when there's no attempt to bring through new players. How many qualification rounds have we went in to with a team that is clearly over the hill and no one in line to replace them because we have completely ignored any sort of contingency planning? It's utterly laughable, young players are relegated to friendly appearances, and their exclusion from competitive games is justified as they "lack experience" (which they'll never get as they only play the odd friendly....). It's a vicious cycle.

It’s the sort of nonsense that stopped us bringing in Rice ASAP when it was evident he had something miles out the ordinary about him. 

Cullen,Egan,O’Shea,Doherty even Collins has garnered a huge amount of experience at his young age. Plenty to build around not to mention Ferguson and the keepers. 

fair to say I think that if Rice was Welsh he'd be locked in by them by now as they'd have capped him asap. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by zero zero wrote:

fair to say I think that if Rice was Welsh he'd be locked in by them by now as they'd have capped him asap. 

100% I’m not one of these that blame O’Neill for every player that defected Grealish was never playing for us no matter what we did. Bores me when lads use that as a stick to beat him with. Rice a completely different animal as you say the Welsh or NI treatment and he would be playing for us!

Rice was a Ferguson,Collins,Bazunu a decent young talent by any nations standard for his age was so obvious. 

See Spain with that 16yo lad a few weeks back. No pissing about and this is Spain ffs! 

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Sep 2023 at 5:58pm
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 6:31pm

Originally posted by zero zero wrote:

100% I’m not one of these that blame O’Neill for every player that defected Grealish was never playing for us no matter what we did. Bores me when lads use that as a stick to beat him with. Rice a completely different animal as you say the Welsh or NI treatment and he would be playing for us!

Rice was a Ferguson,Collins,Bazunu a decent young talent by any nations standard for his age was so obvious. 

See Spain with that 16yo lad a few weeks back. No pissing about and this is Spain ffs! 

How about we just play our best players? Irrespective of age.

Btw Kenny has no control what happens at club level so picking Parrott, Connolly, Omobomedele etc might be a great sound bite but means nothing if they are not playing at their clubs. I mean for all his talk he just dropped Omobomedele to bring 30+ yo Duffy back in and O’Shea also. He cont to play Hourahan long after his best and Hendrick still makes squads. Kenny is/ was a charlatan. 

Pick the best players and if they are young or old that’s fine. Anything else is illogical. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 3:51pm
Just mentioned this in the Carsley thread, but probably more appropriate here, think he could be a realistic contender.

One name I havent seen mentioned at all, who might be a good option if we are genuinely skint is current Crystal Palace assistant manager Paddy McCarthy - Dublin born, Irish underage caps and a B cap, involved with various youth teams at Palace since 2016, highly regarded and has overseen a lot of Irish lads at the CP academy. Our current GK coach Dean Kiely actually works with him day to day as the current GK coach at Palace. Havent seen him mentioned at all in dispatches, but he's just turned 40, presumably has all the coaching badges, knows the inner workings of a top PL club and must surely have learned a lot working alongside Hodgson and Lewington. He could be an interesting candidate.
Idah Dream!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 5:15pm
An Irishman is not to be trusted to manage EIRE.

Irishmen do not make good managers.  Be like appointing Eddie the Eagle to coach the Norwegian Winter Olympic ski jumpers

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Irishmen do not make good managers.  Be like appointing Eddie the Eagle to coach the Norwegian Winter Olympic ski jumpers

Come on TJ, get off the fence, whos your preferred candidate?
Idah Dream!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Come on TJ, get off the fence, whos your preferred candidate?

Sir Clive Woodward.  World Cup winner and knows the Irish mentality of getting in amongst them. 

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by Bibi Baskin Bibi Baskin wrote:

Just my 2 cents..

Sean Dyche - Everton
Rafael Benitez - Free Agent
Marcelo Bielsa - Uruguay national team
Graham Potter - Free Agent
Joachim Löw - Free Agent

LOL

Dyche is on £5mn p/a at Everton
Benitez recently hired by Celta Vigo 3 year deal €1.5mn p/a
Bielsa only recently joined Uruguay $4mn p/a
Potter was on £7mn p/a at Chelsea, can walk in to a PL job, minimum £2mn p/a
Low was on €4mn p/a with Germany

Just to put it into perspective - Kenny is on €600k p/a. All of the names listed would be excellent recruits, but leaving aside whether or not they would have any interest in managing Ireland, the FAI simply dont have the money to pay them.
Not sure why we assume the €600k pa to Kenny is the max budget available to FAI.

Because we are broke
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 9:34pm
Neil Warnock
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 3:35am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Neil Warnock

Just based on his face I would never ever go watch Ireland again if he was manager. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 8:23am
I think McKenna could be out of our reach at this stage to be honest. I know Lineker was raving about him on his podcast too.  

He will be managing in the premier league within 2-3 years. 
AKA pedantic kunt
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 8:36am
Only way you're getting a manager like McKenna is if you take the risk of hiring them before they establish themselves.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 10:38am
We could get in Paul McKenna to hypnotise the players.  Tell them they are the Brazil 1970 team

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I think McKenna could be out of our reach at this stage to be honest. I know Lineker was raving about him on his podcast too.  

He will be managing in the premier league within 2-3 years. 

Could be promoted this season if they keep up their current form.

They win a lot of games by a goal margin, so their luck might change.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 8:33am
I'm sure the FAI will have this all in hand.

Confused
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I'm sure the FAI will have this all in hand.

Confused

JD had his many faults, failing to take action when required wasn't one of them..
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2023 at 9:51am
John eustace must be in the running now

hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 44>
  Share Topic