You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Surprised Brian Barry-Murphy hasn't been mentioned further 

Why. Hes managing u23s basically at the monent. We want him to come in and manage our international side on what basis?? 

Hasn't stopped Carsley being the leading favorite despite never managing a senior team!
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Surprised Brian Barry-Murphy hasn't been mentioned further 

Why. Hes managing u23s basically at the monent. We want him to come in and manage our international side on what basis?? 

Hasn't stopped Carsley being the leading favorite despite never managing a senior team!

Zero comparison between the 2
I love beer gardens
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

We are at the same stage now as we were when Trapattoni had to to pick up the pieces after the disastrous reign of Staunton. The next manager has to be a well respected experienced manager who has managed at a decent level. It sure as hell better not be a managerial novice or a mickey mouse manager who has managed at a poor level.

I would agree with that. Think it has to be an experienced head, tactically astute, but more progressive than Trap. Ideally bringing a decent coach in with him as well.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:07pm
It's either going to be a young inexperienced manager, or an older manager past his sell by date. We aren't getting anyone with recent EPL, or even Championship, experience. That is our situation, we'd do well to recognise it.
We're decent enough..
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It's either going to be a young inexperienced manager, or an older manager past his sell by date. We aren't getting anyone with recent EPL, or even Championship, experience. That is our situation, we'd do well to recognise it.

TBF, this is most national teams' situation these days. The international game is just not a very attractive proposition, and the up-and-coming managers have no interest in taking two to four years out of the club game for very little benefit to their career advancement, even if they do very well. I've heard people scoff at Roberto Martinez managing Belgium and Portugal but that's who wants to take on these jobs. And Martinez is at the top end of that.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:35pm
How much are Iceland paying Age Haireide?
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

How much are Iceland paying Age Haireide?

I can just imagine the Martin O'Neill articles if he was given the job LOL
deebee View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

TBF, this is most national teams' situation these days. The international game is just not a very attractive proposition, and the up-and-coming managers have no interest in taking two to four years out of the club game for very little benefit to their career advancement, even if they do very well. I've heard people scoff at Roberto Martinez managing Belgium and Portugal but that's who wants to take on these jobs. And Martinez is at the top end of that.
Kenny is on more then the Swedish manager.The FAI should be looking at current and recent International managers.
Roberto Martinez started off on 1M with Belgium.
"And Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you."
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 9:44pm
The fai will have had a short list and might have even approached some managers during the summer if not earlier. As it was highly likely the group we were in that Kenny wouldn't be up doing much with it. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

We are at the same stage now as we were when Trapattoni had to to pick up the pieces after the disastrous reign of Staunton. The next manager has to be a well respected experienced manager who has managed at a decent level. It sure as hell better not be a managerial novice or a mickey mouse manager who has managed at a poor level.

I would agree with that. Think it has to be an experienced head, tactically astute, but more progressive than Trap. Ideally bringing a decent coach in with him as well.

I'm of a similar mindset.  I've said before that I believe Claudio Raniere would be the ideal candidate.  His pragmatic utilization of a high energy, direct style allowed Leicester City to punch well above their weight, and would suit our current crop of players.  He was well liked and respected by his players, and possesses a charm and presence that would serve him well in the role. At his age, I'd have to believe that an international management role would potentially be ideal.  We simply need to pry him away from Cagliari.  

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:22pm
Darren Moore?
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:29pm
Its the FAI where probably going to need up with neil lennon
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

I'm of a similar mindset.  I've said before that I believe Claudio Raniere would be the ideal candidate.  His pragmatic utilization of a high energy, direct style allowed Leicester City to punch well above their weight, and would suit our current crop of players.  He was well liked and respected by his players, and possesses a charm and presence that would serve him well in the role. At his age, I'd have to believe that an international management role would potentially be ideal.  We simply need to pry him away from Cagliari.  

He was terrible with Greece. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:45pm
Its gonna be Duffer
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:46pm
Claudio Ranieri is managing in Serie A. Wake up people. 
I love beer gardens
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Its gonna be Duffer

He won't take it. He hates the FAI and left Kenny's team etc.
I have a feeling we will end up disappointed.
I haven't seen Shels much, does he play any good ball at all ?
Must have a watch
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Its gonna be Duffer

He seems a cranky and miserable sort. I don't think the Irish public would warm to him at all.
Hatsoff View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatsoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 11:12pm

100%.
This is who I'd be looking at. An experienced, older manager who's happy with a part time job.
A Claudio Rainieri, Manuel Pellegrini, Roy Hodgson type. I know these are all employed. 

I think in international football a manager has fewer decisions to make, so their decisions have to be better. The team mostly picks itself. You've only a few games and training sessions. So these decisions have to be optimum.

I'd scrap 3-5-2 immediately also. There's a reason is always a niche tactic. Everyone plays variations of 4-3-3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 44>
  Share Topic