You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Ireland Manager - Criteria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 44>
Poll Question: Which category below will the new manager likely come from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [7.50%]
67 [55.83%]
2 [1.67%]
42 [35.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 6:33pm
He will never get the England gig anyway 
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 7:52pm
FAI supposedly met with him around the time of the Armenia home game. Suggests he's the front runner if there's a switch needed after yet another bad start in the next campaign.

Edited by You Tell Me - 13 Dec 2022 at 7:52pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

FAI supposedly met with him around the time of the Armenia home game. Suggests he's the front runner if there's a switch needed after yet another bad start in the next campaign.

You would think the fact this has leaked to the media confirms Carsley was receptive. Would be a risky appointment 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 8:29pm
I just can't see Carsley walking away from his current job to take the Ireland job. Probably earns similar if not more than Kenny, Birmingham is close to St George's Park, and has worked with players that would walk into our squad.

He's said before he's turned down senior roles causes he prefers working with the younger age groups and if the Ireland job was something that interested him it's a job that's gonna come up again down the line. Wouldn't have to walk away from the FA and could just wait till he's no longer wanted there. Which depending on next summers U21s euros could actually happen next year.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 10:31pm
Maybe this guy?

Knows the LOI; did a great job at U-21 level; has senior international management experience:

Says he's" looking forward to his next challenge" Wink
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 12:43pm
Probably wouldn't be to everybody's taste, but Carsley would also come with the potential to bring a few switchers from the English underage setup with him. Realistically they've capped quite a few Irish eligible players at underage level in recent years and Carsley will know a lot of them well, which could encourage them across as most won't realistically go on to the English senior team.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 2:09pm
The clamour for Carsley on social media today and yesterday is boarder on embarrassing, hes an even bigger risk than Kennys appointment IMO.

Hes done very little to date and anyone backing him is blindly backing him based purely on what they've heard of him rather than what they've seen of him.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

The clamour for Carsley on social media today and yesterday is boarder on embarrassing, hes an even bigger risk than Kennys appointment IMO.

Hes done very little to date and anyone backing him is blindly backing him based purely on what they've heard of him rather than what they've seen of him.

He's exactly the profile of manager we should be looking for.
This isn't a recently held view for me - We should have had him coaching in our system years ago.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 2:14pm
The problem with the Irish team is that its Irish.  We cant do well with Irish players and an Irish manager.  We need Englands finest or not even their finest.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

This isn't a recently held view for me - We should have had him coaching in our system years ago.

Why? Whats so special about him? What has he done in his management career to date really that we should move mountains to get him?
I love beer gardens
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Why? Whats so special about him? What has he done in his management career to date really that we should move mountains to get him?

A proven track record at underage level of developing players and a good reputation within English football as a capable coach. 
Given where we are and where we need to go, this should be an important skill set (I'm not calling for Kenny out yet by the way).
If you look at the relative success the likes of Wales, NI etc have had recently this has come on bringing in managers who aren't world names, PL managers etc - This has been on the back of up and coming managers. We aren't an England that demands an established name by reputation alone (Southgate did come through the underage route as it happens though obviously he had managed at club level previously).

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 2:41pm
I agree, Carsley would come with an element of risk having not managed at senior level before. I think there's a "couldn't be worse than what we have now" element to the clamour. I get that point to an extent, but at the same time what's to say that he would necessarily be any better either? 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

if the argentine football association took that view then lionel scaloni wouldn't have been appointed, he wouldn't have won them their first trophy in 28 years and wouldn't be contesting the world cup final on sunday. not bad for a fella with no managerial experience.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 3:08pm
We’re still stuck with the playing pool we have, which includes the group of ‘youngsters’ that appeared to be making strides, and have, for the most part regressed a little since 2021. Also, we have no real spine, and lack for a ‘leader.’ There is a distinct possibility that no manager would be able to do much with the tools at hand.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 3:08pm
Probably a combination of how near impossible it would be to be worse than Kenny negating any risk that would be attached to Carsley, and the fact that his name was in the mix to replace Southgate if he goes, in the same conversation as some quality names that would be completely unattainable for us, means that at the very least he is highly thought of in the England setup.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 3:39pm

[/QUOTE]

Quite right, Borussia.

Carsley was extremely highly thought of at Brentford, who have an excellent record in appointing managers, and after a promising spell as Caretaker Manager, the permanent job was offered to him. However he declined only because he has a disabled son and he couldn't dedicate the time needed to do the job full-time, since it would take him away from his family in Birmingham for far too long.

Which is why he opted instead for working for Birmingham City, and then with the England under-age set-up, (St.George's Park is much nearer his home than Brentford),. And he is sufficiently well thought of with England for the FA to promote him to the (crucial) U-21 job after a year.

[QUOTE=Borussia]This isn't a recently held view for me - We should have had him coaching in our system years ago.
I doubt you'd have got him back then while his disabled son was still young. However the latter is an adult now, so Carsley may once more be on the market, possibly more so should Gareth Southgate quit the senior job. (We must assume Southgate also rates LC and gets on well with him).

Edited by Territorial - 14 Dec 2022 at 3:56pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 3:44pm
Carsely approached the FAI a number of years ago about getting involved but funnily enough didn't hear back.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 3:52pm
Bad mistake if so. His coaching record is impressive and he has credibility as a player with 40 caps for Ireland, courtesy of a granny from West Cork, and extensive PL experience. One for the future maybe if he is still interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 44>
  Share Topic