You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Kenny post November Friendlies 2022 poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Poll Question: Should Stephen Kenny be retained as Ireland manager?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
72 [44.72%]
89 [55.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Lets be honest.  Kenny is the worst manager we've ever had.   Certainly since Mick Meagan

Is he worse than Stan?

Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Lets be honest.  Kenny is the worst manager we've ever had.   Certainly since Mick Meagan

Is he worse than Stan?

Technically speaking.  Yes.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DC96 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:29pm
Depends on if any worthwhile replacements are available/willing or in the frame.

If someone who can improve on the work we've tried to do is free then sure. I like Kenny, but the job has gotten to him and some of his decisions lately are baffling. He looks lost and I think it's all gotten to him. Hope he gets moved to the u21 level as he can do serious good in that role as we saw. Keeps relying on proven failures like Hendrick who will cost him his job

If the replacement is going to be another MON/Hughton type who's plan is to basically surrendur the ball and hope to nick a sh*tty goal off a free-kick then pass, as it'd have rendered whatever good from the past four years utterly meaningless.

As sh*t as we are right now the former gives some vain, foolish hope of things improving in a few years when some players come through that can actually play in a possession based system. The latter is a resignation that we're realistically finished as a serious footballing nation  and your best bet is sh*thousing a playoff.. Maybe some people are happy with that, fair enough. I'd like to that one day we could actually try to play decent football though.

Being realistic however, when your squad is comprised of players who arent even top end championship level footballers anymore I just think we're kinda f**ked regardless of who's in charge. Hard to see any change.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:30pm

Is he worse than Stan?

Technically speaking.  Yes.

Stan had a better squad.

Its an intriguing debate.

He makes Stan appear appear articulate 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:30pm

Is he worse than Stan?

About the same to be honest. Results are worse under Kenny because Stan had better players to dig him out of a couple of holes. But overall we look about equally as clueless on the field now as we did under Stan.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Players didn't look too bothered during the game. Definitely felt like one of those "lost the dressing room" type performances.

The FAI need to consult with some of the senior players, and if that is the case, then he has to go.
its a friendly lots of players on other teams arent bothered either
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:15am
now is the time to get behind Kenny and to believe in the vision. 

i think people will be pleasantly surprised at how well we do for the qualifiers. we showed during the last batch that we played our best games against better opposition. a lot of teams in this group will take points off each other and i reckon we will be in the mix.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:15am
Don’t think he will get sacked over performances in friendlies but we haven’t a hope of qualifying out of the group next year
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

i think people will be pleasantly surprised at how well we do for the qualifiers. we showed during the last batch that we played our best games against better opposition. a lot of teams in this group will take points off each other and i reckon we will be in the mix.

Where’s the vision?

I totally accept that new players have been blooded, but tonight looked like Andorra. Fire-proof the possibility of being defeated by a minnow in a friendly. The results have been poor, and the Scottish game is the outlier. Whether or not you accept it, there is little chance there will be a major difference between the team on the pitch tonight and what will play in France. It will be a difference kettle of fish dealing with Kanye, Rabiot and M’Bappe. 
decky_eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decky_eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:18am
Age Hareide
I am no miracle worker....... I am just Giovanni

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:19am

Not sure if this is Wumming or Kenny's missus?
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:27am
When the only valid reason to keep Kenny is because people feel we can’t attract a decent replacement.

Then you know Kenny has done a sh*t job.

He is a dead man walking we know it he knows it.

It will be the long kiss good night.

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:33am

No country on a supposedly decent level would keep on a manager with a 26% win rate from 30 matches. Apart from a one off against Scotland we have beaten nobody. He has got more than enough time in charge and is certainly not going to turn it around now. The only thing we will be in the mix for under Kenny is fighting it out for the bottom spot with Gibraltar. 

Edited by grannyrule - 21 Nov 2022 at 1:21am
The only way is up
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:24am
No country on a supposedly decent level would keep on a manager with a 26% win rate from 30 matches.

But we're not at a decent level any more. As Kevin Doyle said today, we are now minnows of international football.
We ended up as utter sh!te under MON. We have had sporadic good games since, mostly garbage. We are  still sh!te.
We don't have the players for the FAI to say to themselves let's get a sh*t hot young foreign manager to guide up to success. And no decent manager would take the job. SK is here for the Euros, like it or not.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:24am
Originally posted by DC96 DC96 wrote:

Depends on if any worthwhile replacements are available/willing or in the frame.

If someone who can improve on the work we've tried to do is free then sure. I like Kenny, but the job has gotten to him and some of his decisions lately are baffling. He looks lost and I think it's all gotten to him. Hope he gets moved to the u21 level as he can do serious good in that role as we saw. Keeps relying on proven failures like Hendrick who will cost him his job

If the replacement is going to be another MON/Hughton type who's plan is to basically surrendur the ball and hope to nick a sh*tty goal off a free-kick then pass, as it'd have rendered whatever good from the past four years utterly meaningless.

As sh*t as we are right now the former gives some vain, foolish hope of things improving in a few years when some players come through that can actually play in a possession based system. The latter is a resignation that we're realistically finished as a serious footballing nation  and your best bet is sh*thousing a playoff.. Maybe some people are happy with that, fair enough. I'd like to that one day we could actually try to play decent football though.

Being realistic however, when your squad is comprised of players who arent even top end championship level footballers anymore I just think we're kinda f**ked regardless of who's in charge. Hard to see any change.

I'd agree with this. If the right man is available get them in. But I doubt the FAI have looked that far ahead. So give Kenny the start of the Euros and have a replacement in place for April or whenever. 

But keep Kenny involved within the FAI set up and don't let it be another Kerr situation where he is neglected. 

And if we go back to some backward form of football played by previous managers I'll be done with following Ireland. I couldn't stomach watching absolute sh*te especially when you've flown there. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:28am
It also feels like the players aren't buying into anymore. That wasn't the case after the World Cup qualifiers, but the Nations League was the chance to kick on and improve and it hasn't happened. Now with a terrible draw for the Euros the players know the gig is up as well.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:33am

. . . then form a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

No country on a supposedly decent level would keep on a manager with a 26% win rate from 30 matches.

But we're not at a decent level any more. As Kevin Doyle said today, we are now minnows of international football.
We ended up as utter sh!te under MON. We have had sporadic good games since, mostly garbage. We are  still sh!te.
We don't have the players for the FAI to say to themselves let's get a sh*t hot young foreign manager to guide up to success. And no decent manager would take the job. SK is here for the Euros, like it or not.

Only because Kenny has taken us to that level. Worth remembering that the last game under his predecessor was a one game shootout for qualification for a major finals. We didn't win it, but "minnows of international football" don't take qualification down to the last game of the group.

This season alone 60 Irish players have featured across the six strongest divisions in Europe. It's laughable to suggest we're minnows. The only part of our setup that should be employed at minnow level is the manager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic