You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 55>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:41am
My favourite TP goal was the last minute winner against Lithuania that won us the world cup
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Armstrong
Odubeko
Scully
Okoflex
Kayode

We're in an extraordinarily strong position for young strikers at the moment.

Do you honestly think that? I think anyone who thinks we're in an 'extraordinarily strong position' is deluded. Apart from Ferguson, we have no one who looks exciting and it's still very early doors for him. 

I'm quite confident we won't even see the 5 players above make the senior team with the exception of Armstrong but still a long shout. 

The lack of nuance on here is startling at times. An extraordinary strong position if we were Brazil? No, of course not. But we are Ireland, so to have 10/11 strikers who have played in the top two divisions by their teens/early 20's IS AN EXTRAORDINARY POSITION. That's without even getting into other promising young strikers playing in other divisions. We are absolutely stacked for a nation of our size, we've possibly never been in as good a place before in this regard.

Are you equating appearances to being 'stacked'? Or, are you talking about goals? Players doing pretty much nothing at Port Vale, Huddersfield, Wigan, Swansea, MK Dons, Norwich, Preston etc is hardly 'stacked' now is it? 

Where are all the goals, regardless of the size of our nation(I could list you a good few nation with similar or less population that have a much better strike force than ours)?

There has always been a large pool of Irish player playing abroad that show promising signs but didn't equate to anything on an International level. 

You're banging on about nuance and calling people eijits but how you constantly overhype or bite at any criticism towards an Irish player is embarrassing.

They're still young players and might carve out a good career but there's not much at the minute to say we've never been in as good a place before in this regard. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:16am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He has scored 2 measly goals this year for PNE. AFAIK one was a fluke and the other was a peno.

Troy turned 21 last month and is featuring regularly in the Championship. But he is 18 months away from being a write off apparently. Dear Jesus. 

He hasn’t lived up to the early hype, that’s fair enough. He defo isn’t scoring enough goals, also fair enough. 

He has shown resilience, has a good attitude and his work rate is excellent by all accounts. He might not turn out to be our saviour but he has a chance of a really good career. 

Wouldn't be disagreeing with a lot of that, but he has definitely failed to meet expectations.

He's done reasonably well for Ireland to be fair.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:21am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

My favourite TP goal was the last minute winner against Lithuania that won us the world cup

Hilarious
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:03pm

He has scored 2 measly goals this year for PNE. AFAIK one was a fluke and the other was a peno.

Troy turned 21 last month and is featuring regularly in the Championship. But he is 18 months away from being a write off apparently. Dear Jesus. 

He hasn’t lived up to the early hype, that’s fair enough. He defo isn’t scoring enough goals, also fair enough. 

He has shown resilience, has a good attitude and his work rate is excellent by all accounts. He might not turn out to be our saviour but he has a chance of a really good career. 

Wouldn't be disagreeing with a lot of that, but he has definitely failed to meet expectations.

True enough that he hasn’t hit the heights but a lot of lads develop at different ages. 
The encouraging thing about Troy is that he is battling well whereas a lot of our previous great hopes struggled with the first signs of adversity. Don’t forget he’s been injured this season and he’s done ok in the championship. There is loads of room for improvement but if he can add a few goals to his work rate then he is a real starting option for us.
I don’t like seeing him in the same category as Connolly who has been clearly acting the bollox. 
El Puto Amo
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:14pm
The forward options and age profile of them give a lot of hope moving forward but they still need to do it on the pitch week in week out. 
Until then you can't really say we are in a great position. But it's looking way more positive than it maybe did 2-3 years ago
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:21pm

What annoys me is that we used to mock the Brits for knocking their own lads but we’re nearly as bad now. Some people can’t wait for them to fail. 
El Puto Amo
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:31pm
Confirmed in the 21's squad.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:54pm
Just cap him, you're losing out on nothing by picking him over someone like Idah.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Confirmed in the 21's squad.

Pointless.  Should be played against Latvia and in the squad for France
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:58pm
Clueless, clueless manager.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:59pm
Could be the player's own decision though. Maybe a question for Kenny at the squad release press conference.

Edited by You Tell Me - 15 Mar 2023 at 12:59pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 1:00pm
I’m happy he’s in the 21s squad as I wasn’t sure was he interested. 

Can see why people wanted him in the senior squad but Parrott and Idah were always likely to get the nod. clueless comment was a bit harsh. 

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Mar 2023 at 1:01pm
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Can see why people wanted him in the senior squad but Parrott and Idah were always likely to get the nod. clueless comment was a bit harsh. 
Not harsh enough. Cannon's got the same amount of league goals as the two of them combined, in under half the minutes played. Be different if Parrott and Idah were experienced stalwarts of the squad, but they're not. Particularly Idah, barely 10 caps for us and 0 goals, no benefit to calling him up (assuming that he's called up).

Edited by SeaSharp - 15 Mar 2023 at 1:05pm
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 1:05pm

True enough that he hasn’t hit the heights but a lot of lads develop at different ages. 
The encouraging thing about Troy is that he is battling well whereas a lot of our previous great hopes struggled with the first signs of adversity. Don’t forget he’s been injured this season and he’s done ok in the championship. There is loads of room for improvement but if he can add a few goals to his work rate then he is a real starting option for us.
I don’t like seeing him in the same category as Connolly who has been clearly acting the bollox. 

He has done poorly this season and the Championship has thus far looked too much for him. Numerous comments on the Preston forum saying they have completely given up on him, that he isnt at the required level. He has gotten those comments from fans at Millwall and Ipswich too. Aside from a select few months at MK Dons in League 1 (because he really only started to perform there after December), he has looked poor at every club he has been at.

The fact is that a guy people thought was going to be playing in the premier league, is actually going to do very well to carve out a career in the championship, a league he doesnt look at the required level for so far.

His issue is the emergence of other players, while many are happy to judge him based on their hopes of 2 years ago, others are realistic and see a player being bypassed by others unless he seriously ups his game.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Not harsh enough. Cannon's got the same amount of league goals as the two of them combined, in under half the minutes played. Be different if Parrott and Idah were experienced stalwarts of the squad, but they're not. Particularly Idah, barely 10 caps for us and 0 goals, no benefit to calling him up (assuming that he's called up).

I’m in favour of it generally fast tracking youngsters and I would be very disappointed if he wasn’t in the June senior squad if he continues to play well and scores a few more goals. 

Can see why Kenny has gone for Parrott and Idah this time. Could see the case for dropping Idah more so then Parrott. 

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Mar 2023 at 1:09pm
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 1:10pm
Parrott will probably end up back in league 1 or spl next season on loan. He hasn’t done enough to merit another championship loan. Cannon if he keeps scoring til end of season will probably be in Dyche’s plans next season.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:29pm

What annoys me is that we used to mock the Brits for knocking their own lads but we’re nearly as bad now. Some people can’t wait for them to fail. 

Big difference in knocking players and realism. I mean, the over hyping of some of our players is just as ridiculous. Being realistic is not wanting players to fail, far from it actually. Talking up players who can't even make a Port Vale squad or our own U21 squad is something else. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 55>
  Share Topic