You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 55>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:07pm
It amazes me the amount of money a strapped football association spends on these chancers. The vast majority turn out to be absolute donkeys.
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:13pm
There should be some sort of Mafia style initiation from now on for these guys. Once your in you can never get out. NEVER
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

It amazes me the amount of money a strapped football association spends on these chancers. The vast majority turn out to be absolute donkeys.

What's the alternative though? Do we just ignore a Josh Cullen or a Will Smallbone at underage level because they might switch back to their country of birth one day? Going back further what about someone like Kevin Kilbane - should he have been ignored because of where he was born? Or Aidan McGeady? That doesn't seem very fair on dual national players. How do you decide who is Irish committed enough or not? 

I think it's'just a case of you win some, you lose some. Over the years we've won a lot more out of these situations than we've lost. Unfortunately the last few years things have gone the other way a bit with a few high profile losses, but that's just the way of it.
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:22pm
Tom's chance of one day being canonized has greatly diminished with this apparent choice.  
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Grealish left, Rice left - we are still here. ybig

Those two were gutting! Cannon will not be missed.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Who has made this switch over the years? The only ones I can think of are Rice, Grealish, Michael Keane and Marcus McGuane. Maybe there have been others I have forgotten. If I was to guess I'd say the loss of Cannon will fall somewhere around the Michael Keane level. He'll go on to have a decent enough career and would have won a good few Ireland caps. But, in the same way you never really hear anyone bemoaning the loss of Keane as we have plenty of depth in his position, it will probably be something similar with Cannon.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:30pm
In many ways, if it is the case that he is exploring his options, at least it has been done relatively early. Most of us hardly knew he existed until late last year, and he came further into public knowledge with his scoring exploits at Preston. On paper, very promising. But he wouldn't be the first player to score well while on loan, before dropping off afterwards.

What you never have, you never miss, eh Del Boy?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Who has made this switch over the years? The only ones I can think of are Rice, Grealish, Michael Keane and Marcus McGuane. Maybe there have been others I have forgotten. If I was to guess I'd say the loss of Cannon will fall somewhere around the Michael Keane level. He'll go on to have a decent enough career and would have won a good few Ireland caps. But, in the same way you never really hear anyone bemoaning the loss of Keane as we have plenty of depth in his position, it will probably be something similar with Cannon.

Bamford played Under 18s for Ireland.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:38pm
Dan Crowley
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

How much money have the FAI spent on Cannon? Go on and enlighten us.
We're decent enough..
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 10:53pm
Getting this clarification is a good thing.
He does have a decision to make and we should respect that.

If it wasn't for this half-season loan, he'd not be in this position, but with our dearth of strikers, he immediately became a candidate for senior caps, so he now needs to make the call.
I just hope he switches straight away (paperwork etc...job done) or gets capped for us this year and in fact, that should be Kenny's approach - we are going to put you in if you are available to us so make your decision.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 11:08pm

Grealish left, Rice left we are still here and still sh*t.

We need todo all we can to hold on to these guys wales would have them tied to them by capping them.

Yes of course you can take the moral high ground and say off with them.

But with those two players we would definitely be qualifying for tournaments and that’s the aim simple as that.

And anyone that tells me Cannon isn’t an upgrade on what we already have is only kidding themselves.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

We need todo all we can to hold on to these guys wales would have them tied to them by capping them.

But with those two players we would definitely be qualifying for tournaments and that’s the aim simple as that.

And anyone that tells me Cannon isn’t an upgrade on what we already have is only kidding themselves.

An upgrade on Ferguson? Lol 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 11:34pm
I’m not arsed - if they don’t feel Irish then I’m fine with them playing for somebody else
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 11:54pm

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

An upgrade on Ferguson? Lol 

Parrot,Idah etc I didn’t think I needed to break down for lads.

Some things are so oblivious they go with out saying!!

eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by eddiebro eddiebro wrote:

To quote Cannon himself at the last meet up:

I wasn’t really looking at the seniors,” he replied, when asked if a potential senior call-up crossed his mind in recent weeks.

“If the U-21s call me up, I’m going to go, I haven’t missed a camp. Every time I’ve been asked, I have turned up. Hopefully we’ll play well against Iceland on Sunday and put a good performance in”

Why wouldn’t a player who was out scoring and out performing other Irish senior players be looking at the seniors.

At least Cannon didn’t take heaps of underage and senior caps off other players like Grealish and Rice, the fact is based on parentage inversely Evan Fergusons Mam is English surely the English could say his links to England are stronger than Cannons to Ireland so why should we feel he should play for us over Evan for England.

All that said, our underage set up and grassroots should be looking more toward are own domestic players with respect to our granny rule/parentage rule players, I don’t think many of our English born players were within 30 injuries of an England call up and what age and how many England underage caps did Robinson have when he decided to declare for us (No disrespect to CR7).

Maybe we should stop chasing underage English born players unless we have some assurance they’re going to play for us, Liam Delap may not be as good as first thought, how would people feel about him declaring for us in say 4 years after turning down our advances to date.

Every country has dual nationality players, it isn't exclusive to us. Do we make some unwritten rule then that we won't ever pursue any players with Irish/English duality? Or, do we extend that across all nations?

Suggesting that we don't "chase English born players" is just absolutely ridiculous.

A lot of these players have tenuous links to Ireland one grandparent who they may not have known all that well or at all versus where they’ve grown up their whole life so suggesting there is a duality versus - who selected me and what are my options at the time. There is also a big difference between being willing have a “one night stand” like Cannon with our 21s and being married to a nation.

I accept there needs to be a case by base basis attached to it, but to quote those in Grealishes U21 camp it was fairly obvious he was English and had limited interest being there, another temporary situation.

The FAI shouldn’t treat English born grandkids of Irish people as there to be got at and tricked into representing Ireland just because the English FA haven’t spotted the talent. 

Otherwise we’ll get burnt again and again, we’ve had some great servants who’ve qualified for Ireland through heritage, but we’ve lost possibly 2 100m players or rather 2 English lads who wasted our time to promote themselves while there career hadn’t really started. 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 1:20am
Can we blame Garth Southgate for doing his job or is this the job of someone else in the FA 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 6:14am
Don't think you can blame anyone. Look at Hodge recently, he had a very tenuous link to Ireland (one granparent who left Ireland as a young adult) but he came straight out and said he is sticking with Ireland. It's right you look out for players who can potentially play for you and then it's a case of you win some you lose some.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 55>
  Share Topic