You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAI Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAI Cup
    Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:16pm
Derry City vs Shelbourne

Looking forward to this Sunday. Derry bringing huge numbers down and I think they'll be the ones heading home happy.  Hopefully a decent neutral turnout. Always a cracking day in LR. 

Edited by nvidic - 25 Jul 2023 at 8:24am
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:35pm
Should be good. Duffer nuts saying this is the pinnacle of his career though!

Edited by t_rAndy - 09 Nov 2022 at 6:36pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Derry City vs Shelbourne

Looking forward to this Sunday. Derry bringing huge numbers down and I think they'll be the ones heading home happy.  Hopefully a decent neutral turnout. Always a cracking day in LR. 

More Derry fans than Shels?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Why? Maybe he feels it actually is.
I love beer gardens
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:39pm
Have been impressed by Derry this season. Have been slick any time they've played pats, including two wins in Inchicore.

Purely selfish reasons, but pats could do with a Derry win. Shels are crap but dogged. Would be a right kick in the balls to see them in Europe next year.

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Well then he ie even more stupid than he looks Big smile.

Can't compare the career moments aan general career he has had as a player (an elite prem player, prem winner, cup winner, World Cup appearances, score at World Cup, 100 odd caps for ireland, most expenisve irish player for a long time) with getting to an FAI cup final after beating only one team from the Premier division in a poor Bohs team . 

Nah he wears his heart on his sleeve and makes these grand statements.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 8:13pm
On the face of it it may seem like a throwaway comment but i can totally see why he could mean it. As a player you just turn up. Of course you have to have the talent and work ethic but its just you. As a manager your responsible for the whole squad and all that goes with it off the field. If he won the cup i can absolutely see how he could see it as one of his best achievements. Even in the work setting..management looks easy until you become a manager. Then you know what goes on behind it.
I love beer gardens
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 6:40am

On the face of it it may seem like a throwaway comment but i can totally see why he could mean it. As a player you just turn up. Of course you have to have the talent and work ethic but its just you. As a manager your responsible for the whole squad and all that goes with it off the field. If he won the cup i can absolutely see how he could see it as one of his best achievements. Even in the work setting..management looks easy until you become a manager. Then you know what goes on behind it.

Exactly right and as Duffer is at the start of his managerial career it would be a notable achievement.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 7:42am
Duffer says stuff like this every week, he’s a headcase. I don’t believe a word of it but he’s box office, he creates column inches. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 8:50am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Duffer says stuff like this every week, he’s a headcase. I don’t believe a word of it but he’s box office, he creates column inches. 

+1. He is great for the league in fairness, especially around Shels like, they have become a team being talked about and tracked more in the media and its kind of down to Duff being there.

It would be a great achievement for him especially if they beat Derry. Just daft to say it tops everything from his playing days. 

One or two more high profile ex internationals coming into the league to manage teams could create even more of buzz. 
Glen of Aherlow View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen of Aherlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 1:19pm

+1. He is great for the league in fairness, especially around Shels like, they have become a team being talked about and tracked more in the media and its kind of down to Duff being there.

It would be a great achievement for him especially if they beat Derry. Just daft to say it tops everything from his playing days. 

One or two more high profile ex internationals coming into the league to manage teams could create even more of buzz. 

He come across as a bit of a LOI Jose Mourinho at times 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Derry City vs Shelbourne

Absolutely. Our support base is quite small - Derry would have a lot of fans that don't regularly attend games that will come on Sunday. We'll be well outnumbered 
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 3:48pm

Well then he ie even more stupid than he looks Big smile.

Can't compare the career moments aan general career he has had as a player (an elite prem player, prem winner, cup winner, World Cup appearances, score at World Cup, 100 odd caps for ireland, most expenisve irish player for a long time) with getting to an FAI cup final after beating only one team from the Premier division in a poor Bohs team . 

Nah he wears his heart on his sleeve and makes these grand statements.

He backed up that quote this week saying he means it. He had a lot of self doubt coming in and taking the role, and feels bringing Shels to a cup final in his first season tops everything. 

He's had a few quotes that have backfired this season (saying we were a sleeping giant and then a few weeks later correcting an interviewer after he said the same thing, saying he's not a badge kisser and then pics emerge of him kissing the badge at Chelsea, Fulham etc) but nobody could say his heart and soul isn't 100% in the job. From talking to anyone involved in the club, he is absolutely obsessed with the job and gives it his absolute all. The fans love him
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Have been impressed by Derry this season. Have been slick any time they've played pats, including two wins in Inchicore.

Purely selfish reasons, but pats could do with a Derry win. Shels are crap but dogged. Would be a right kick in the balls to see them in Europe next year.

We were crap at the start of the season but I certainly wouldn't call us crap now. Moylan, Farrell, Boyd and Smith are an absolute handful for any side up front, and our results over the past 3 months really don't do our performances justice.

Derry are of course big favourites but we've already beaten them and drawn with them away from home this season, and lost at home to a last minute winner, so should have absolutely nothing to fear. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Glen of Aherlow Glen of Aherlow wrote:

This is him to a tee, an absolute whinger LOL. You'd swear he's the only manager who has ever made sacrifices the way he goes on. Easily the most dislikable person in the LOI at the moment. The job he has done with Shels is a bit overrated IMO, still finished 7th with a FT team, albeit a team full of average players, excluding the likes of Moylan, Farrell and Boyd. Getting to the final in his first season is a good achievement though.

That being said, they have improved since the early part of the season. Farrell is by far their most important player, has a level of quality no one else has and would be a major loss for them in the final. Also, the club is definitely on the rise, and should attract better players for next season. You can tell that the players love playing for him and the fans are behind him. As dislikable as he is, he's the type of manager you'd love if he was at your club.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Derry City vs Shelbourne

Absolutely. Our support base is quite small - Derry would have a lot of fans that don't regularly attend games that will come on Sunday. We'll be well outnumbered 

Any idea of the overall ticket sales for Sunday?

Thanks 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Glen of Aherlow Glen of Aherlow wrote:

This is him to a tee, an absolute whinger LOL. You'd swear he's the only manager who has ever made sacrifices the way he goes on. Easily the most dislikable person in the LOI at the moment. The job he has done with Shels is a bit overrated IMO, still finished 7th with a FT team, albeit a team full of average players, excluding the likes of Moylan, Farrell and Boyd. Getting to the final in his first season is a good achievement though.

That being said, they have improved since the early part of the season. Farrell is by far their most important player, has a level of quality no one else has and would be a major loss for them in the final. Also, the club is definitely on the rise, and should attract better players for next season. You can tell that the players love playing for him and the fans are behind him. As dislikable as he is, he's the type of manager you'd love if he was at your club.

We're not full time this season - hopefully will be from next season. Most of the players have full time jobs outside of Shels. We had the lowest budget this season outside of UCD and Harps, and had a completely new squad of players (some very average ones). Go getting to a Cup final and staying up is a really good first season for him IMO
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 7:22pm
one of your players is on over a grand a week, 1250 I was told, some part time that.
I’d say drogs harps ucd  well below your budget, and probably on the same as bohs and Sligo.
Shams Derry pats and Dundalk would be up a level admittedly , 
no doubt bohs budget will be as big next season with an increase on the coaching side, but if duff and shels get Europe that must surely up the spend?
No Pasaran!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
  Share Topic