You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 67>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 10:31am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Friendly vs Gabon now off as Gabon decided they didn't want to show up for it.

Read the Tom Cannon article last night.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 12 Jun 2023 at 10:32am
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 10:42am
Gabon are a bit of a mess.
Reading they were kicked from the upcoming AFCON U23 comp for fielding an inelegible player (may be back in on appeal...not sure?).
Not a lot our lads can do if the opponents can't get their sh*t together.

Edited by Fozz - 12 Jun 2023 at 12:27pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 1:05pm
Presumably we're in this camp because we didn't want to pay the entry fee for Toulon?
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 1:57pm
Vata is in Albania with his family for personal reasons. The lad will play for us.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Reading they were kicked from the upcoming AFCON U23 comp for fielding an inelegible player (may be back in on appeal...not sure?).

Is the Gabon game definitively called off, nothing on the FAI website about the cancellation which is poor form. Are the other U21 games on the telly box?
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Is the Gabon game definitively called off, nothing on the FAI website about the cancellation which is poor form. Are the other U21 games on the telly box?

Yep, FAI Twitter said it.
Known to you as "Ireland Football" or "Football Ireland", depending on how yer head is bent.

Dunno yet about TV and the Ukraine match is Friday 5pm so a good time ahead of the big match...hope we get to see that Ukraine match somehow...

Edited by Fozz - 12 Jun 2023 at 2:58pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Presumably we're in this camp because we didn't want to pay the entry fee for Toulon?

I thought the Toulon tournament was an invitational? Not sure you can buy your way in, but who knows nowadays.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 5:24pm

They were reinstated by CAF over the weekend. Unless they've somehow managed to organize other games it's weird to just decide not to show up.

Ukraine and Kuwait also play tomorrow so surely Gabon could have played more than one game this week in preparation for the tournament. Surely be hard to find teams now with everyone else likely to have stuff organised with multiple underage tournaments this summer.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 5:25pm

I thought the Toulon tournament was an invitational? Not sure you can buy your way in, but who knows nowadays.

Probably both, you're invited but still gotta pay a fee to secure your spot. Teams probably apply to play and then your invited because some of the teams at it why would you willingly invite them. Like ourselves in 2019 and think at the time Kenny pushed for the FAI to get us into it.

Edited by J89 - 12 Jun 2023 at 5:28pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 5:34pm

Probably both, you're invited but still gotta pay a fee to secure your spot. Teams probably apply to play and then your invited because some of the teams at it why would you willingly invite them. Like ourselves in 2019 and think at the time Kenny pushed for the FAI to get us into it.

But presumably we werent invited this time around or somebody would surely have leaked it at this stage? Just seems a bit unfair to intimate that we didnt want to pay the entry fee when there's nothing to suggest it was a possibility? Not that I'm one for defending the FAI Smile

Edited by John Nice - 12 Jun 2023 at 5:37pm
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 8:11pm
Have you never noticed that they always seem very keen to "invite" oil enriched nation's who maybe don't have the best pedigree in underage football?!

If we were willing to pay the cash we'd be at Toulon this summer, or any summer. However, for the last few years we've made the decision to have Toulon-esque camps including friendly games instead. It's not necessarily a criticism of the FAI - it's a cheaper way of doing it which is maybe sensible, but it does increase the risk of a situation like the one this week with Gabon. If that happened at Toulon they'd be quickly replaced so the entrants would get the games.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 6:26pm
https://twitter.com/i/status/1668362483843604480

Great commentary from Sinclair Armstrong at U21 training!
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 11:00am
Seems these matches won't be shown live.

https://twitter.com/IrelandFootball/status/1669260709744476160

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 11:30am

Seemingly due to the other associations involved and the training camp status?
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 11:44am

Friendlies from the training camp two years ago were shown live.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 11:48am

Apparently, the other associations didnt want the games televised as they are "training" games, dont shoot the messenger!
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 11:48am

Will be scouring the web tomorrow just before 5pm for streams so see what we can uncover...
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2023 at 12:50pm

Will be scouring the web tomorrow just before 5pm for streams so see what we can uncover...

Let me know if anything comes of this!
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 67>
  Share Topic