You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland U21s - 2025 Campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 67>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 1:17pm
I hope I’m wrong but think we’ll struggle to get a result tonight.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Hodge and Moran are two huge losses (Cannon also), Vata is with the U19s and Springett is a doubt, not the ideal team news. Armstrong needs to find his scoring boots (for club and country).
Idah Dream!
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Hodge and Moran are two huge losses (Cannon also), Vata is with the U19s and Springett is a doubt, not the ideal team news. Armstrong needs to find his scoring boots (for club and country).

Did you not see the absolute cracker Armstrong scored against San Marino???
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 1:42pm

Did you not see the absolute cracker Armstrong scored against San Marino???

1 goal in 847 minutes for QPR this season, no goals in 591 minutes last season. He looks promising, no doubt, but he needs to start scoring more often. He should have scored 3 vs San Marino.

Edited by John Nice - 17 Nov 2023 at 1:43pm
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 1:44pm
Gilsenan ruled out apparently. Moran promotion looking more foolish now, especially if Springett is out also.
Idah Dream!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 1:50pm

Gilsenan ruled out apparently. Moran promotion looking more foolish now, especially if Springett is out also.

Aye I’m sure Moran himself would see it as foolish as well! He’s in the senior squad on merit.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Aye I’m sure Moran himself would see it as foolish as well! He’s in the senior squad on merit.

Thats debatable given Azaz's form in the same division, but in any case I'm not arguing he doesnt deserve a place in the senior squad. I'm arguing that our best use of him in this window would have been having him with the U21s. 

There's plenty of time for him to step up in friendlies next March/June and the NL thereafter. I just dont see the point in diminishing our chances of U21 qualification for a dead rubber and a NZ friendly. Exacerbated now with Gilsenan and Springett's likely absence. 
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 2:39pm
Apologies, yes indeed we started with a back-five v Turkey.
I was at that match so you can trust my perception skills Embarrassed

Since we went to a back-four, McNulty has been dropped.

Interesting to see how he lines them up later.
I'd rather we stick to a four but no surprise if he pops it back to a five, especially with no Vata, Gilsenan, Moran, and Springett being a doubt.

On the injuries, it's always our attacking exciting players who get injured - Gilsenan, Springett, Ebosele...no fear our 3rd keeper or a spare centre-half gets injured Disapprove

Edited by Fozz - 17 Nov 2023 at 2:40pm
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 2:40pm
U21 is a feeder to the senior team, not the other way around. I would say a senior call up will be worth more to him and his development than staying with the 21s regardless of what is at stake or the opposition. That is more important than any u21 game imo.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Thats debatable given Azaz's form in the same division, but in any case I'm not arguing he doesnt deserve a place in the senior squad. I'm arguing that our best use of him in this window would have been having him with the U21s. 

There's plenty of time for him to step up in friendlies next March/June and the NL thereafter. I just dont see the point in diminishing our chances of U21 qualification for a dead rubber and a NZ friendly. Exacerbated now with Gilsenan and Springett's likely absence. 

I dont agree at all, u21s primarily serves as a stepping stone to the seniors. When players are ready to be promoted they should be promoted, hes at the point now where hes outperforming players hes competing for a place in the squad like Smallbone and Knight already 

...and ideally we want to bed him in asap, 4 games in March and June is nothing before the Nations League campaign. Players tend to need a dozen or more caps to settle into international football for us. More games the better but even training and integrating with the other players is arguably better for his development than a meaningless u21 campaign. 

If he continues the season progressing as he has, we should be looking at him being a starter for us by the time the NL roles around.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:09pm
Both arguments have merit. For me, it's more important the U21s qualify so more players can be exposed to playing in a high level international tournament. Think thag benefits us more long term. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Both arguments have merit. For me, it's more important the U21s qualify so more players can be exposed to playing in a high level international tournament. Think thag benefits us more long term. 

Agreed, I understand both viewpoints, but I think getting to a U21 Euros would be a huge benefit for what is a very strong crop of underage players. Perhaps the culture should change in that regard and we should start taking U21 football more seriously (I'd have Omobamidele and Parrott with the U21s tonight also).

Anyway unfortunately tonight, I think Moran's absence (coupled with other injury related absences Hodge, Gilsenan, Springett) will cost the U21s the chance of a positive result.

Edited by John Nice - 17 Nov 2023 at 3:23pm
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:30pm

The Under-21 team serves no purpose other than developing players for the senior team. When a player is ready and needed (both applies with Moran), then they should be promoted. He is exactly where he should be.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The Under-21 team serves no purpose other than developing players for the senior team. When a player is ready and needed (both applies with Moran), then they should be promoted. He is exactly where he should be.

He is arguably ready, he is certainly not needed!
Idah Dream!
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He is arguably ready, he is certainly not needed!
He’ll probably be a late sub against NZ
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:51pm
https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2037278--norway-vs-republic-of-ireland/lineups/

Leavy in... 
Crawford always fitting in as many LOI players as he can.. definitely an agenda. LOL
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:54pm
Looks like a 5-3-2 perhaps?

Keeley; Curtis, Lawal, O'Riordan, Garcia MacNulty (c),  Roughan; Adeeko, Healy, Leavy; Armstrong, Emakhu 
Idah Dream!
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2023 at 3:55pm
Leavy a good shout, he is a very good ball carrier with an eye for goal and is very strong for small enough lad. Good team selection imo, hopefully get a result now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 67>
  Share Topic