Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James Furlong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 1:25pm
Furlong looks decent going forward, his defensive positioning leaves a bit to be desired though.

Casey seems a better player than he was in the LOI anyway.

Edited by The O'Shea - 19 Feb 2023 at 1:25pm
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Furlong looks decent going forward, his defensive positioning leaves a bit to be desired though.

Casey seems a better player than he was in the LOI anyway.

Thought Furlong was very good after a shaky start on only his 5th or 6th senior start ever. On a fair few set pieces also, his delivery was good, indeed Dan nearly scored and then assisted although maybe offside. Furlong has to have a chance of getting that LB/LWB spot for the U21s although competition is tough with Roughan and Adaramola in the mix. 

Delighted for Dan, he has done the hard yards, Sunderland Academy, then back to LoI, then MLS2, hopefully he can make a good living for himself as he has worked so hard to get there. 2 starts, 2 wins for a team who were bottom and a clean sheet today vs 3rd best team in SPL, must take a spin over to see them!

Disappointing Ross Tierney didn't get on!
Idah Dream!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 2:58pm
His favourite film is Eminem's '1/8 Mile'
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That matches what has been said of him in terms of his time at Brighton - his defending is the issue. Hopefully a run of starts at Motherwell can help him work on that.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 5:07pm
Worth noting that in the 9 games Furlong and Dan Casey have started together since both arrived in January when Motherwell were rock bottom, Motherwell have taken 17 points (form which would have them comfortably in 3rd place in the SPL if replicated over a season) and are now 10pts clear of bottom. They have beaten both Edinburgh clubs and got a commendable draw with Celtic at the weekend. It's been a good first loan for the lad, who also made a brief Carabao Cup appearance for Brighton earlier in the season. There's a lot of competition for that spot at U21 level (Adaramola, Roughan, Ogungbo), but he has done well. It will be interesting to see where he ends up next season.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Worth noting that in the 9 games Furlong and Dan Casey have started together since both arrived in January when Motherwell were rock bottom, Motherwell have taken 17 points (form which would have them comfortably in 3rd place in the SPL if replicated over a season) and are now 10pts clear of bottom. They have beaten both Edinburgh clubs and got a commendable draw with Celtic at the weekend. It's been a good first loan for the lad, who also made a brief Carabao Cup appearance for Brighton earlier in the season. There's a lot of competition for that spot at U21 level (Adaramola, Roughan, Ogungbo), but he has done well. It will be interesting to see where he ends up next season.

loan seems to be going very well for him. Be interested to see what happens to him next year.

Estupinan seems to be Brightons only LB in the squad as it stands and I can’t see any out on loan. Is it pie in the sky stuff to suggest he might be kept on as back up with all the potential games next year? 

He has played a few pre season games with the first team as well under Potter which suggested he liked him.

Edited by kevin100 - 24 Apr 2023 at 6:41pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

loan seems to be going very well for him. Be interested to see what happens to him next year.

Estupinan seems to be Brightons only LB in the squad as it stands and I can’t see any out on loan. Is it pie in the sky stuff to suggest he might be kept on as back up with all the potential games next year? 

He has played a few pre season games with the first team as well under Potter which suggested he liked him.

Dont think it's beyond the realms at all tbh. Has only played 10 senior games at this point and Motherwell have been flying up the table since he (and Dan Casey) joined. I have watched a fair bit of him now and I think he is improving rapidly with game time. Nice left foot and can take a set piece too. Criticism of his defending earlier in this thread seems over the top to me. Motherwells defensive record has been pretty good since he joined also.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 11:45pm

Some very positive comments on Furlong on the Motherwell supporters forum, he looks to be kicking on well as a result of getting first team football at a decent level.

I didn’t give Furlong the man of the match but he must be the most improved Motherwell player ever over a such short period. If memory serves me correctly when I saw home playing against Raith Rovers in the cup, I thought that he would never make it, but he has proved me and suspect a few others wrong and is being developed into a really good young player…..but I suspect we will not get him next season loan!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:27am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Some very positive comments on Furlong on the Motherwell supporters forum, he looks to be kicking on well as a result of getting first team football at a decent level.

I didn’t give Furlong the man of the match but he must be the most improved Motherwell player ever over a such short period. If memory serves me correctly when I saw home playing against Raith Rovers in the cup, I thought that he would never make it, but he has proved me and suspect a few others wrong and is being developed into a really good young player…..but I suspect we will not get him next season loan!

He's definitely doing enough at Motherwell to suggest he can step up to Championship level at least next season. Conference League qualification for Brighton might even give him a shot at a few more first team appearances there in the first half of next season. Himself and Dan Casey have been very solid on the LHS of Motherwell's back 5 and Furlong as LWB gets up and down the pitch very well plus he's taking plenty of set pieces for them. Definitely looks like a lad who can challenge for caps in the future.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:46am

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He's definitely doing enough at Motherwell to suggest he can step up to Championship level at least next season. Conference League qualification for Brighton might even give him a shot at a few more first team appearances there in the first half of next season. Himself and Dan Casey have been very solid on the LHS of Motherwell's back 5 and Furlong as LWB gets up and down the pitch very well plus he's taking plenty of set pieces for them. Definitely looks like a lad who can challenge for caps in the future.

Brighton only have 1 LB in their squad Estupinian will surely need a back up to him if they qualify for Europe. 

In Furlong and Karbownik they have 2 left backs on loan. Karbownik is a bit older and on loan in Bundesliga 2. Hard to know who’s playing the higher level at the moment. 

Furlong doing his chances no harm for sure and it’s great to see him get decent experience this season.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 12:31pm
Contract up at the end of the month though?
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 1:24pm
Around this time last year he signed 1 year extension, wouldn’t surprise me if they offer him longer deal after he returns from Motherwell. If the loan was a disaster he would probably have been released but I reckon they will offer him 2 year deal, maybe keep him around for Conference League if they qualify and possible championship loan in new year.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 7:08pm
I didn’t realise the contract was up but would be surprised if they let him go off the back of the season he has had so far.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

Around this time last year he signed 1 year extension, wouldn’t surprise me if they offer him longer deal after he returns from Motherwell. If the loan was a disaster he would probably have been released but I reckon they will offer him 2 year deal, maybe keep him around for Conference League if they qualify and possible championship loan in new year.

I think if they were going to offer him another contract they would have done that already, before he went on loan. Brighton have their ducks in a row regarding contracts.

He isn't spoken about with the same regard as Ferguson & Moran. When I hear people talk about him it's usually about his fitness levels/athleticism, rather than technical ability.
He's older than both those lads but has only featured for Brighton's first team in 8 EFL Trophy games in 3 seasons, 1 EFL Cup appearance (only given 5mins vs Forest Green).

If they do give him another contract I think it would be so they could send him on loan again to get his value up and then sell him next summer.

I could be wrong, but as it stands, it doesn't look like he has a future at Brighton. He'd be a good signing for Derby County (they need a LWB).

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 12:39pm
Another win and another clean sheet for himself and Dan Casey on Saturday, 2-0 away from home to St. Johnstone. Motherwell's form is quite clearly the third best in the SPL since the two Irish lads joined in January when Motherwell were rock bottom. They are now best of the rest in 7th and 12 points clear of bottom spot.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 10:31am
Assist yesterday and another win for Motherwell whose form has been stellar since Furlong and Casey joined in January. Casey is injured and didnt start today, but Blaney played in his place. It caps an excellent loan spell for Furlong, it will be interesting to see if Brighton keep him on next season.
Idah Dream!
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 10:35am
yes Furlong seems to have done well up there. Unlikely he's ready to step into the Brighton first team but a loan to a high end Championship team might be the ideal next step
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 10:39am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

yes Furlong seems to have done well up there. Unlikely he's ready to step into the Brighton first team but a loan to a high end Championship team might be the ideal next step

Aye, I wasnt thinking he might be starting for Brighton, but they could keep him around as cover for Estupinan. A loan to the Chship would likely be better for him, but Brighton will have a lot of football with Euro competition next season.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic