You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 69>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 12:58pm
One good thing is that we gave up three points to the team that are going to win the group. Far better that we lose at home to them than either NL or Greece. If we can take points off the latter two, we will very much be in the shake up - the big hope would be that we can eke out some wins here.
Sponsored Links

Fireball07 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fireball07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Brendanbelfast Brendanbelfast wrote:

Are we likely to get a play off place via Nations League if we don't finish top 2? Does that depend on Scotland and Ukraine qualifying from their groups?

We need the likes of N. Ireland, Sweden, Slovakia, Turkey, Romania/Kosovo not to qualify directly.

Basically if 3 or more teams that are ranked below us in the Nations League qualify directly, we don't get a play-off.

Slovakia beating Bosnia 2-0 was a terrible result for us. Finland beating the North was a good result.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

My own thoughts. It was a proper performance undone by in indefensible mistake early in the 2nd half.

Ogbene and Molumby will get the obvious plaudits both exceptional. Thought Collins and Bazunu were just as good last night. Collins didn’t put a foot wrong and denied by a wonder save late on. Bazunus distribution was good and makes a big difference to an inferior team trying to get out of its own half. Collins in particular was exceptional the calm composed kid we know he can be.

The Wing Backs were very solid and stepped up to the plate like the top flight footballers they are. Coleman is some professional. Ferguson had a tough night but showed some neat touches particularly to get Knight away mid way through the 2nd half. Idah did well when he came on that ball into McClean was exceptional who should have done much better with it. 

Negatives I thought O’Shea was poor at times. Very questionable for the goal turned his back away to the ball. Egan put in some great blocks but himself was a bit rash at times. Knight puts in a shift for Ireland but beyond that he was very ordinary and Cullen picked the wrong night to play his worst game for us. 

My one criticism of the midfield was the lack of willingness at times to pass forward and the goal was a by product of that. A half arsed passive pass across the face of goal presumably to Knight instead of taking it another yard or two further or playing a positive ball for Knight to run onto/up the field. Was an indefensible mistake at this level in reality and I love Cullen think he’s a proper player. 

Positives were we limited France to little chances and the reaction from them at the end was telling they recognised how awkward a game that was and how lucky they were get out with a win! 

Need to take that into Greece now. That’s a huge game and if we win that we have a massive chance in this group. 

The midfield selection was on balance right for last night's game, but we will never progress in terms of beating weaker opposition with a midfield trio of Cullen, Molumby and Knight, hopefully Smallbone forms part of the answer going forward, but tbf to the three last night, they worked their socks off and put in a good shift, Cullen's error excepted, which was what was required. They werent really a 3 either with Ogbene playing advanced to the RHS but covering back most of the time and Knight doing the same to the left.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Fireball07 Fireball07 wrote:

Are we likely to get a play off place via Nations League if we don't finish top 2? Does that depend on Scotland and Ukraine qualifying from their groups?

We need the likes of N. Ireland, Sweden, Slovakia, Turkey, Romania/Kosovo not to qualify directly.

Basically if 3 or more teams that are ranked below us in the Nations League qualify directly, we don't get a play-off.

Slovakia beating Bosnia 2-0 was a terrible result for us. Finland beating the North was a good result.

Could somebody confirm whether it's more than 2 teams below us qualifying which will knock us out or more than 3 teams? I thought it was the latter and if so, I think we have a right chance. If it's more than 2 i.e. 3 exactly or more, it's much more borderline.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Could somebody confirm whether it's more than 2 teams below us qualifying which will knock us out or more than 3 teams? I thought it was the latter and if so, I think we have a right chance. If it's more than 2 i.e. 3 exactly or more, it's much more borderline.

I have read it less than 4 teams go into the play off in Group A the League D team will get the 4th play off spot. If that’s the case it makes it much harder. Still not insurmountable. 
We could really do if pushed with the likes of Ukraine andl qualifying as opposed to Slovakia and Bosnia if that’s genuinely the case. 

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Mar 2023 at 3:44pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fireball07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 3:55pm

I'm pretty sure 3 knocks us out unless one of those 3 are Estonia (the top group D team). Realistically, it's unlikely to be Estonia which means that Estonia will be guaranteed a play-off in League A (presuming that most of the League A teams qualify directly).

If fewer than four teams from a given league have failed to qualify, then the remaining slots for that league will be allocated as follows:
  1. The best-ranked group winner of League D will be selected, unless this team has directly qualified.

Obviously there are some variables there, but I think realistically that at least 12/15 of the League A teams will qualify directly and that Estonia won't.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:03pm

I'm pretty sure 3 knocks us out unless one of those 3 are Estonia (the top group D team). Realistically, it's unlikely to be Estonia which means that Estonia will be guaranteed a play-off in League A (presuming that most of the League A teams qualify directly).

If fewer than four teams from a given league have failed to qualify, then the remaining slots for that league will be allocated as follows:
  1. The best-ranked group winner of League D will be selected, unless this team has directly qualified.

Obviously there are some variables there, but I think realistically that at least 12/15 of the League A teams will qualify directly and that Estonia won't.

Ok so we can only afford two teams ranked below us to qualify automatically? Any more and we are goosed? I thought we could afford 3 which looked doable.
Idah Dream!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fireball07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:08pm

Ok so we can only afford two teams ranked below us to qualify automatically? Any more and we are goosed? I thought we could afford 3 which looked doable.

Yep 2 (unless 1 of them are Estonia, then it could be 3). 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:13pm
Yes, it's no more than two. A long shot unfortunately - neither of the two stats sites I've seen tracking this give us even a 50% chance at this point and one of them reckons it's closer to 25%.

Edited by You Tell Me - 28 Mar 2023 at 4:14pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fireball07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes, it's no more than two. A long shot unfortunately - neither of the two stats sites I've seen tracking this give us even a 50% chance at this point and one of them reckons it's closer to 25%.

For me, the main threats would look to be:

Turkey in the group with Wales & Croatia (though Wales getting a point against Croatia is positive for us).

Sweden in the group with Belgium & Austria (Sweden vs Austria probably the key fixture).

Northern Ireland in the group with Denmark, Slovenia & Finland (Finland winning was great for us).

Romania & Kosovo in the group with Switzerald & Israel (Israel on paper look like the weakest of the teams ranked above us).

Slovakia in the group with Portugal, Bosnia & Iceland (Slovakia beating Bosnia 2-0 was a disaster for us).

It's still early days but if 3 of those groups go our way (Wales, Austria & Slovenia/Finland doing us a favour for example) and we'd progress.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

44% on We Global Football, mainly as a result of a Slovakia home win vs Bosnia (although Slovakia had already dropped home points to Luxembourg) and Israel only drawing with Kosovo. Still think its close to a 50/50 myself and results have gone more our way than against in these first two gameweeks, no forlorn hope! We could do with the Croats taking something off Turkey away tonight and Wales beating Latvia.

Group I looks the biggest danger Swiss, Israel, Kosovo, Romania, but its early days, yes Israel dropped 2 pts at home to Kosovo, but Romania only beat Androrra 2 nil away so all still to play for there too.

Edited by John Nice - 28 Mar 2023 at 5:19pm
Idah Dream!
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 4:53pm

I thought it was three or more below us we want to not qualify automatically to be in with a shout of a playoff
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:17pm
Should Greece be giving a rule that there home games can't be in the summer with the high heat ?
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:21pm
8.45pm in June won't be that warm. Heat is defo being overplayed
<insert witty comment>
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Depends. There is a potential that it could be very warm even at night time. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:28pm

Highs of 28c, lows of 25c at that K.O time last June.  Still very hot. Its the humidity that makes it hard to play in can barley breath in that weather abroad when doing nothing couldn't imagine trying to work in it or playing a game. 

Edited by Bandwagon - 28 Mar 2023 at 5:28pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:31pm

Its like everything else on Irish supporter forums, it's being overplayed by pro-Kenny types and underplayed by anti-Kenny types. Regardless, the heat/humidity will likely be an issue even at night at that time of year, no matter what side of that fence you are on.
Idah Dream!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:32pm

9.45 local time kick off in June. 

It'll still be pretty warm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 69>
  Share Topic