Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=58436
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 5:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B
Posted By: lassassinblanc
Subject: EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:02am
Apologies getting a little ahead of things here but was just checking out the rankings for the qualifiers we are currently in Pot 3.

The draw will take place on October 9th

The seeding is based on how we finish in the Nations League 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League#Overall_ranking" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League#Overall_ranking

Interestingly at the moment

The likes of Austria, Hungary and Czech Republic are in Pot 1 while England and France are Pot 2 it will of course all change come October.

Replies:
Posted By: J89
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:05am
With Germany as hosts and Russia kicked am I right in saying that we can't drop below third seeds even if we actually got relegated.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:10am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

With Germany as hosts and Russia kicked am I right in saying that we can't drop below third seeds even if we actually got relegated.

Yeah I believe so. Rankings are as follows, I'd imagine Russia will still be banned come October

Pot 1   Pot 2   Pot 3   Pot 4   Pot 5   Pot 6
Spain   Poland   Finland   Russia*   Faroe Islands   Moldova
Netherlands   Switzerland   Rep. Ireland   Greece   Belarus   Andorra
Denmark   France   Iceland   Georgia   N. Ireland   San Marino
Italy   England   Montenegro   Turkey   Cyprus   Lichtenstein
Portugal   Wales   Sweden   Kazakhstan   Azerbaijan  
Belgium   Norway   Scotland   N.Macedonia   Gibraltar  
Austria   Ukraine   Albania   Luxembourg   Lithuania  
Hungary   Bosnia   Romania   Slovakia   Latvia  
Croatia   Israel   Armenia   Kosovo   Estonia  
Czech Republic    Serbia   Slovenia   Bulgaria   Malta  

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:17am
Pot 1 Pot 2 Pot 3 Pot 4 Pot 5 Pot 6
Spain   Poland   Finland   Russia*   Faroe Islands   Moldova
Netherlands   Switzerland  
  Greece   Belarus   Andorra
Denmark   France   Iceland   Georgia   N. Ireland   San Marino
Italy   England   Montenegro   Turkey   Cyprus   Lichtenstein
Portugal   Wales   Sweden   Kazakhstan   Azerbaijan   The EIRE
Belgium   Norway   Scotland   N.Macedonia   Gibraltar  
Austria   Ukraine   Albania   Luxembourg   Lithuania  
Hungary   Bosnia   Romania   Slovakia   Latvia  
Croatia   Israel   Armenia   Kosovo   Estonia  
Czech Republic    Serbia   Slovenia   Bulgaria   Malta  

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: You Tell Me
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:17am
Yes, we can't be lower than Pot 3. Potential for a few nasty draws there so it's really important that we do well enough in the Nations League so that we have a playoff place to fall back on if needed. A second place finish pretty much guarantees a playoff, third might be OK. 

I'm not sure how they're going to rank the teams across the groups in our division with the Russia group only having three teams now. If they award the other teams in that group 6 points each for the Russia games it counts against us massively, but if they decide to drop everyone's points against the fourth placed teams in the other groups it could work out well as we might be able to discount the Armenia loss.

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:22am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes, we can't be lower than Pot 3. Potential for a few nasty draws there so it's really important that we do well enough in the Nations League so that we have a playoff place to fall back on if needed. A second place finish pretty much guarantees a playoff, third might be OK. 

I'm not sure how they're going to rank the teams across the groups in our division with the Russia group only having three teams now. If they award the other teams in that group 6 points each for the Russia games it counts against us massively, but if they decide to drop everyone's points against the fourth placed teams in the other groups it could work out well as we might be able to discount the Armenia loss.

We get a playoff for 2nd place in this nations league group?
Hmm not so doom and gloom then especially if we can pick up a result of any kind against Ukraine.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:31am

Never even thought about this, I'd imagine that is what they'll do as it's probably the fairest way to do it.

Definitely as you say if it was to stay similar to the above there could be a potential horror group of say

Spain,England, EIRE, Turkey, North Ireland

on hindsight there would be the potential for something like
Austria, Israel,EIRE, Luxembourg ,Malta, San Marino 

Posted By: Fozz
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:44am
Love these ranking threads Thumbs Up

The order of that League B - how is that sorted?
Why are Serbia on 7pts below Israel on 4?
So this league is not the NL results but some ranking points that we can't see?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Because Israel are top of their group, Serbia are 2nd that's how it works, it's based on positions in Nations League.

As also pointed out above Israel have played one game less due to Russia being kicked out

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:53am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Because Israel are top of their group, Serbia are 2nd that's how it works, it's based on positions in Nations League.

As also pointed out above Israel have played one game less due to Russia being kicked out

Ah I see Geek
I think.
So it's not pts total, its positions and then all the, say, 2nd positions are ranked on pts versus each other?

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 12:46pm

Ah I see Geek
I think.
So it's not pts total, its positions and then all the, say, 2nd positions are ranked on pts versus each other?

Exactly 

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 12:59pm
Its got Denmark Wales Ireland Georgia Gibraltar written all over it 

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 1:01pm

Ah I see Geek
I think.

Yes, but then that would be unfair on the teams in the Russia group because they're playing fewer games so that will have to be balanced out somehow. UEFA haven't clarified how they're going to do that yet.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 1:11pm

[QUOTE=Fozz]Love these ranking threads Thumbs Up

Ah I see Geek
I think.

Yes, but then that would be unfair on the teams in the Russia group because they're playing fewer games so that will have to be balanced out somehow. UEFA haven't clarified how they're going to do that yet.
[/QUOTE

Yeah that is a bit of headache as said above they'll probably just take out the results against the bottom teams in each of the Group B groups so for example our results against Armenia wouldn't matter (if they finished bottom)

Posted By: Dalymount79
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 1:14pm

[QUOTE=Fozz]Love these ranking threads Thumbs Up

Ah I see Geek
I think.

[/QUOTE

Yeah that is a bit of headache as said above they'll probably just take out the results against the bottom teams in each of the Group B groups so for example our results against Armenia wouldn't matter (if they finished bottom)
that’s seems the fairest as Israel and other 2 are (probably) getting a bump up in their position 1-3 as it is.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 2:07pm
If they do remove the results v Armenia (let's assume) the we should hope Ukraine go and beat Scotland twice.
Then a draw, or even a small loss v Scotland would see us 2nd.

Now, all bets are off if Armenia win tomorrow!

Posted By: Jimmy Raggatip
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 2:18pm
Going to get some extremely imbalanced groups since they are basing the seedings on games where not every country is completely interested or playing a full strength side. 

We’re going to need a bit of luck to get a nice group. There’s going to be some horrors lurking in pot 4 too

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Going to get some extremely imbalanced groups since they are basing the seedings on games where not every country is completely interested or playing a full strength side. 

We’re going to need a bit of luck to get a nice group. There’s going to be some horrors lurking in pot 4 too

100% both Competitively and travel terms too, for example Turkey could decide to play their home games in a few different places ,OK majority of times they play in Istanbul but they've also play in Izmir and Konya, Antalya, Trabzon,Rize, Eskisehir in recent years.

Kazakhstan wasn't the easiest/cheapest place to get to last time either 

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Hmm not so doom and gloom then especially if we can pick up a result of any kind against Ukraine.

All but guaranteed.

3rd will probably be enough for one too.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 3:54pm
Greece have won their group and guaranteed a League C playoff spot - fair chance they could end up playing Turkiye in the playoffs.
Is that a pairing they usually don’t allow for political reasons?

Posted By: Nialler
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

All but guaranteed.

3rd will probably be enough for one too.

I really don't see the point in Kenny putting that much pressure on to win the group then. How much more of a boon is getting promoted. can't be a huge difference in attendances. He should have just said we aim to secure a playoff place LOL

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Greece have won their group and guaranteed a League C playoff spot - fair chance they could end up playing Turkiye in the playoffs.
Is that a pairing thrift usually don’t allow for political reasons?

Nope they can play each other

Kosovo—Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo–Serbia, Kosovo–Russia, Russia–Ukraine, Armenia–Azerbaijan and Gibraltar–Spain

Can't play each other for political reasons

Posted By: Artie Ziff
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Its got Denmark Wales Ireland Georgia Gibraltar written all over it 

Ah don't even post that as a joke Cry 

-------------
It would damage this forums' reputation

Posted By: flaghunter
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 11:08pm

If they do remove the results v Armenia (let's assume) the we should hope Ukraine go and beat Scotland twice.
Then a draw, or even a small loss v Scotland would see us 2nd.

Now, all bets are off if Armenia win tomorrow!

Think you have it wrong here - we can't finish third and get promoted to second because the results against the teams in last won't be discounted within the context of our own group.

They will be discounted only when working out the individual seedings of the teams that finished in, say, third place - so that groups can be compared to each other as fairly as possible.

Posted By: xRedmanLFCx
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 9:19pm
Have UEFA confirmed if qualifying for the playoff will be:

(1) the top 12 Nations League teams not to qualify for Euro 2204 automatically/directly, or 
(2) if it will be the top placed team in each Nations League group from League's A, B & C (and the next best team to fill that spot if group winner is already qualified)?

I saw conflicting reports in newspaper articles from last year, and some suggested UEFA would confirm the qualifying route this summer but can't find any confirmation. 

-------------
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 10:42pm
It's the same as it was for Euro 2020.

"The play-off berths are first allocated to each group winner, and if any of the group winners have already qualified for the European Championship finals, then to the next-best ranked team of the league."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying_play-offs" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying_play-offs

Posted By: Bonehead24
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 7:15am

"The play-off berths are first allocated to each group winner, and if any of the group winners have already qualified for the European Championship finals, then to the next-best ranked team of the league."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying_play-offs" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying_play-offs

So finish first or second behind Ukraine and hope they qualify automatically next campaign?

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Bonehead24 Bonehead24 wrote:

So finish first or second behind Ukraine and hope they qualify automatically next campaign?

League is league A-D. We are in league B. So let's say we finish second on 10 points but Serbia from our league but in B4 group  finish second on 11 then I think that means they would be ranked ahead of us and get the place. 
I think the last nations league, basically the top 3 from league B would be ok for a play off. 

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:09am
Knowing us we'll win both games but still finish third on ten points. Wonder if they'll clarify what's happening regarding the three team group in League B before September or because the play offs don't happening until next year just wait a bit before deciding.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:20am

Knowing us we'll win both games but still finish third on ten points. Wonder if they'll clarify what's happening regarding the three team group in League B before September or because the play offs don't happening until next year just wait a bit before deciding.
If there's a 3 team group would that mean points won v the bottom team in the 4 team groups wouldn't count towards best 2nd placed?

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:25am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

League is league A-D. We are in league B. So let's say we finish second on 10 points but Serbia from our league but in B4 group  finish second on 11 then I think that means they would be ranked ahead of us and get the place. 
I think the last nations league, basically the top 3 from league B would be ok for a play off. 

For the Nations League four years ago third was enough for a playoff place, but there were fewer teams - 12 in A and 12 in B, whereas it's 16 in A and 16 in B now. 

In the last Nations League two years ago, if the playoffs had been run on the Euros format that we're using this time, only two teams that came third in B would have got a playoff. Ireland, being the lowest ranked third placed team last time, would have missed out. 

So, if we finish third in the Nations League group, a high points total is important. Beating Armenia at home is a must, but a point at least in Scotland would be very helpful.

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:43am

I think for that to happen, Scotland would have to beat Ukraine twice and top the group, meaning Ukraine would finish above us on head to head.

It is more likely that we finish the campaign on 8 points, Scotland on 8 points, and Ukraine on 14, and we would be 2nd then on head to head with Scotland.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I think for that to happen, Scotland would have to beat Ukraine twice and top the group, meaning Ukraine would finish above us on head to head.

It is more likely that we finish the campaign on 8 points, Scotland on 8 points, and Ukraine on 14, and we would be 2nd then on head to head with Scotland.

Hopefully when Ukraine travel there in September they put another three past them at Hampden Park in the first game. Rightly put the pressure on Clarke before we travel over and fans will get louder in calling for him to be sacked.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:57am

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

For the Nations League four years ago third was enough for a playoff place, but there were fewer teams - 12 in A and 12 in B, whereas it's 16 in A and 16 in B now. 

In the last Nations League two years ago, if the playoffs had been run on the Euros format that we're using this time, only two teams that came third in B would have got a playoff. Ireland, being the lowest ranked third placed team last time, would have missed out. 

So, if we finish third in the Nations League group, a high points total is important. Beating Armenia at home is a must, but a point at least in Scotland would be very helpful.

Forgot that this the third nations league campaign. 
Ok so yeah with the more teams it's very important to come top two. 
That Scotland last game has a fair amount of meat on it now.

Posted By: kevin100
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 11:32am
In the last campaign a number of teams from League C went into the play offs with Iceland for League A as most the League A teams qualified! Just something to keep in mind that we may well get a League A play off place by default if we don't get a League B one.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 11:34am
None of it will matter after we top the Euro Qualifying group anyway.

Posted By: 50%lesssugar&salt
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 1:59pm

None of it will matter after we top the Euro Qualifying group anyway.

Too early to be saying that Stephen.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 2:12pm
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/0279-1628176b348f-4ef8c4c59e6b-1000--uefa-euro-2024-qualifying-draw-procedure-approved/%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/0279-1628176b348f-4ef8c4c59e6b-1000--uefa-euro-2024-qualifying-draw-procedure-approved/

Bump pretty much as expected. 
Ten Groups (7 with 5 teams, 3 with 6 - I'd imagine Germany will be added to one 5 team group not containing the UNL League A winners and will play friendlies)

Top 2 qualify from each group qualify.

Playoffs will be decided from the Nations League League Winners not qualified though it doesn't say it I've read elsewhere that the Group A spot will be handed down to League D winners should all those teams automatically qualify, so unlike Euro 2020 if we were to finish 2nd we wouldn't be guaranteed a playoff spot due to say all the League B winners qualifying (I could be wrong on this though) 

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:25am
Two big games in regards to seeding tonight for qualifiers

Hungary beat Germany they'll be guaranteed to be Top Seeds

and if Italy beat England, then England will be in Pot 2

Posted By: John Nice
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:30am

Did I read somewhere that France could end up being 2nd seeds? Is there anywhere online you can see potential seedings/current standings?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:56am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Did I read somewhere that France could end up being 2nd seeds? Is there anywhere online you can see potential seedings/current standings?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League_A#Overall_ranking" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League_A#Overall_ranking

Top ten teams not including Germany in the overall rankings table will be top seeds. Frances win last night has lifted them back into pot 1. Can still slip back to pot two if Austria win their final game and France don't. England have to win tonight or its pot 2 for them which makes no difference for them personally with top two directly qualifying.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:00am

The rankings can be found here :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League#Overall_ranking" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League#Overall_ranking

Teams ranked 1-11 (minus Germany) will be Pot 1
Teams ranked 12-21 will be Pot 2
Teams ranked 22-31 will be Pot 3
Teams ranked 33-42 will be Pot 4 (32nd ranked team is Russia they are banned)
Teams ranked 43-52 will pot 5
Teams ranked 53-55 will pot 6

With their win last night France have gone up to Pot 1.

To summarise all teams which finish in top 3 (bar the one who finish with the worst record of the League A 3rd place teams) will be Pot 1

All teams who are relegated from League A will be pot 2 (France were in relegation zone before last nights win)

Depending on the results of next few days France could well finish bottom or that worst record league A team.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:04am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League_A#Overall_ranking" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League_A#Overall_ranking

Top ten teams not including Germany in the overall rankings table will be top seeds. Frances win last night has lifted them back into pot 1. Can still slip back to pot two if Austria win their final game and France don't. England have to win tonight or its pot 2 for them which makes no difference for them personally with top two directly qualifying.

Yeah agree I don't think England will be bothered as they'd most likely qualify as one of the Top 2 anyway, but it still gives them a tougher game then they'd probably want.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:13am
Question? Can we finish 3rd in our group on 10 points, but rank higher than Ukraine and/or Scotland in that table by virtue of having more points against the Top 3 in the Group? e.g. if we beat Scotland and they then beat Ukraine, they will top the Group, but will only have 6 pts vs our 7 when results against the bottom team are discounted? Is there not a scenario whereby we finish 3rd in the Group, but have 7 points vs the Scots 6 and Ukraine's 4 when the bottom team is discounted? That would be pretty unlucky, but I guess you gotta get your 6 points vs the weakest team.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:26am

Question? Can we finish 3rd in our group on 10 points, but rank higher than Ukraine and/or Scotland in that table by virtue of having more points against the Top 3 in the Group? e.g. if we beat Scotland and they then beat Ukraine, they will top the Group, but will only have 6 pts vs our 7 when results against the bottom team are discounted? Is there not a scenario whereby we finish 3rd in the Group, but have 7 points vs the Scots 6 and Ukraine's 4 when the bottom team is discounted? That would be pretty unlucky, but I guess you gotta get your 6 points vs the weakest team.

Nope if we finish 3rd we'd be Pot 3.

AFAIK

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:30am

AFAIK

So if we finish 2nd, we have a chance? Could 7pts from the 4 games be enough?

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:50am

AFAIK

Teams ranked 12-21 will be Pot 2

The 21st team is the highest ranked Second place team from League B currently Ukraine, We could of course still finish in this spot but it would also depend on other results around League B too, for example Serbia currently 23rd in the rankings have technically played a game less then Ukraine as 2 of their games were against Slovenia who are currently bottom.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:51am

AFAIK

If we finish as the best ranked second placed team I believe yes we'll be in pot 2.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:46pm
Looking at the rankings currently and I know they are subject to huge change in the coming week. There doesnt look to be a lot between the teams currently occupying the 2nd seed spots (with the exception of England) and those in the 3rd seed spots (who we'd avoid if we end up as appears likely 3rd seeds). From our pov, we would like to see France/ENgland/Italy end up as 1st seeds to avoid a possible group of death scenario, but otherwise getting 2nd seed vs 3rd seed status doesnt look to make that big of a difference in terms of potential opposition. There will be some weakish teams in Pot 2 and some strong teams in Pot 3 whom we will avoid.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Posted By: Bandwagon
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:01pm

Looking at the rankings currently and I know they are subject to huge change in the coming week. There doesnt look to be a lot between the teams currently occupying the 2nd seed spots (with the exception of England) and those in the 3rd seed spots (who we'd avoid if we end up as appears likely 3rd seeds). From our pov, we would like to see France/ENgland/Italy end up as 1st seeds to avoid a possible group of death scenario, but otherwise getting 2nd seed vs 3rd seed status doesnt look to make that big of a difference in terms of potential opposition. There will be some weakish teams in Pot 2 and some strong teams in Pot 3 whom we will avoid.

Yeah theres f**k all between Pots 2 and 3.

You could just as easily draw a Norway or Switzerland from Pot 2 or Ukraine or Serbia from Pot 3.

Its luck of the draw. Like our 2018 draw getting Wales from Pot 1, Austria from Pot 2 and Serbia from Pot 3. 4 teams with little between them.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:13pm
The qualifications wiki page actually shows you what pots teams can potentially still end up in as things stand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying#Draw" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying#Draw

Of the League B teams Sweden are the only confirmed team for pot 3 as things stand and Wales the only confirmed team in pot 2.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:13pm

I agree i'd rather avoid the possibility of a group with say France and England being the Top 2

There's team in Pot 2 currently you'd want to avoid England as previously mentioned and maybe the Swiss (though we did take points from them last campaign we played them.

Let's all be honest of the current Pot 1 teams the only one we could realistically fancy getting points off would be Hungary (though they do seem to be in good form- [queue them getting hammered by Germany tonight LOL ] and Czechia 

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:27pm

I agree i'd rather avoid the possibility of a group with say France and England being the Top 2

There's team in Pot 2 currently you'd want to avoid England as previously mentioned and maybe the Swiss (though we did take points from them last campaign we played them.

Let's all be honest of the current Pot 1 teams the only one we could realistically fancy getting points off would be Hungary (though they do seem to be in good form- [queue them getting hammered by Germany tonight LOL ] and Czechia 

And as far as I can see there's still a chance Hungary end up bottom of that group if they lose their final 2 games vs Germany and Italy, particularly if England can beat the Italians tonight.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 2:34pm

Croatia (ageing) and Denmark are 2 other top seeds currently that we might fancy taking points off. We did after all take points off Portugal in the latest campaign and we were absolutely robbed over there. Tbf, our young team seems to be on an upward curve atm. (cue them getting hammered by Scotland tmw Smile)

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:29pm

Croatia (ageing) and Denmark are 2 other top seeds currently that we might fancy taking points off. We did after all take points off Portugal in the latest campaign and we were absolutely robbed over there. Tbf, our young team seems to be on an upward curve atm. (cue them getting hammered by Scotland tmw Smile)

Yeah I suppose you could make a point for Denmark and Croatia, I'd still want to avoid them though

I'd say terms of who'd you want from the current Pot 1 I'd rank them as follows

1.-Czech Republic - could be a dangerous team would be a nice trip too (they do have to play Switzerland in their last game so we might see these two switch pots)

2.Hungary- as described while in good form of the current 10 teams in Pot 1 you'd want them over most of the others

3.Denmark- Who doesn't fancy another trip to Copenhagen LOL joking aside you'd take them over the other teams

4. Croatia- as you say they do have an ageing team, it will be interesting to see what the likes of  Modric,Perisic do after the WC but we wrote them off when we got them in 2012 and it bite us, still have a great collection of players at their disposal, but I'd take them over others

5. Portugal - As you say we gave them a decent fight and did take points off them during the last campaign- be again interesting to see potential retirements after the WC 

6. Italy- will be current holders and have been struggling a little since winning the Euros, on their day they just know how to win- it we get them the game 100% ROME

7. Netherlands- again on their day they know how to win, Koeman will take over from van Gaal after the WC , they have a good mix of youth and experience so will be tough (I actually think they'll go quite far in WC- potential outsider bet 12/1)

8. Belgium- Their golden generations last real chance this winter perhaps but defence aside a good few are still only early 30's. We gave their B team a decent game back in March but one of the top 3 to avoid

9.Spain- Another who I think could be a potential WC winner, you talk of our great young talents coming through, the likes Pedri, Gavi Ferran Torres,Pino are on a different level.

10. France- Could go onto back to back WC's , while I think they have been flaky at times since, you really wouldn't want them.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:19pm
England currently heading for League B and pot 2

Posted By: ConorMac77
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:45pm

And sure enough, they're down. And it's 5 games without a win. Yet, come Mid-november, the Brit tabloids will still be tipping England to win the World Cup. LOL

-------------
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

And sure enough, they're down. And it's 5 games without a win. Yet, come Mid-november, the Brit tabloids will still be tipping England to win the World Cup. LOL

Can actually see them being humbled by US and the Welsh come November 

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm
Guaranteed top seeds for the qualifiers will be Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, and Spain.

Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, France, and Poland are still fighting for the last three spots as top seeds.

England and Bosnia now join Wales as the guaranteed second seeds for the qualifiers and Romania will be third seeds with Sweden.

Posted By: Hotlips_Hoolahan
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:39pm
Remember some drab performances against Hungary in the recent past but they seem to be on the upswing in fairness. Probably comfortably their best side in decades.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 7:13pm
Slovenia beating Norway a bit of a spanner in the 3rd place table and the playoff off route :(

Posted By: wanderer
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:15am
https://twitter.com/OCowzer/status/1573809869362266112?t=PPavyGI3x5HM9f18vnznsw&s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/OCowzer/status/1573809869362266112?t=PPavyGI3x5HM9f18vnznsw&s=19

Pretty clear what's needed to get a playoff 

Posted By: Roberto_Carlow
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:38am
Is there a list anywhere of how the seed pots currently stand (or likely to stand).

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:02am
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League

The overall ranking section of this Wikipedia page basically shows it. 1-11 other than Germany are the first seeds as it stands, 12-21 second seeds 22-31 are third seeds, Russia at 32 are excluded, 33-42 are fourth seeds (Turkey look dangerous there) and then 43 and below are the also rans. 

There are a number of results in games not involving Ireland that could help our ranking in terms of maybe sneaking an unlikely playoff place, starting with group B3 tomorrow - we would want either Montenegro or Romania to finish third instead of Finland in that group.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:50am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E2%80%9323_UEFA_Nations_League

The overall ranking section of this Wikipedia page basically shows it. 1-11 other than Germany are the first seeds as it stands, 12-21 second seeds 22-31 are third seeds, Russia at 32 are excluded, 33-42 are fourth seeds (Turkey look dangerous there) and then 43 and below are the also rans. 

There are a number of results in games not involving Ireland that could help our ranking in terms of maybe sneaking an unlikely playoff place, starting with group B3 tomorrow - we would want either Montenegro or Romania to finish third instead of Finland in that group.
To addd…assuming the 20 direct (21 including Germany) qualifiers are in the top 28, 7 of the top 28 fall into league A and B playoffs. 1 League D team make up the 8th.

I don’t see too many teams from 29 down qualifying directly so confident we’ll be in the playoffs - the League A one being the most likely.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:55am
Edit: answered me own question 

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:20am

Cheers. Looking forward to the draw in a couple.of weeks 

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 2:41pm
France likely to remain in Pot 1, England likely to be the only big gun in pot 2. 

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 3:10pm
Group of Death -Spain, England, Turkey, the North

Best Case - Switzerland, Israel, Bulgaria, Gibralter

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:36pm

France likely to remain in Pot 1, England likely to be the only big gun in pot 2. 
loosing 2-0 so a win by Austria, Czechs or Poland and they are in pot 2 - not that they’ll care an iota.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:52pm

loosing 2-0 so a win by Austria, Czechs or Poland and they are in pot 2 - not that they’ll care an iota.

If Czechs win they'll switch with Swiss so France would still be pot 1 but yes either Austria or Poland win and they'll be pot 2

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:06pm
Poland 1 up puts them ahead of France 

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:20pm

If Czechs win they'll switch with Swiss so France would still be pot 1 but yes either Austria or Poland win and they'll be pot 2

Correction on the following you are correct if Czechs were to win they would go ahead of France too, French are currently the worst placed 3rd placed team which will put them 12th in the rankings and pot 2

Posted By: Banana_RepublicFC
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:24pm
Turkey are in bad shape. They drew 3-3 with Luxembourg and are now losing 2-0 against Faroe Islands!

They won their previous 4 games without conceding a goal before this round of Nations League games. 14 goals.

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Turkey are in bad shape. They drew 3-3 with Luxembourg and are now losing 2-0 against Faroe Islands!

They won their previous 4 games without conceding a goal before this round of Nations League games. 14 goals.

Turkey are a bit of a mad team alright they're either really good or really bad, I still wouldn't fancy them in qualifying if I'm honest 

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:36pm
Turkey losing to the Faroe Islands is a huge shock. I know there are no easy games anymore but those technical sides like a Turkey usually make light work of those types of sides. I know they drew with Luxembourg as well. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

More evidence that these supposed minnows are rapidly improving

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:38pm
Faroe wouldn't be the worst. You would imagine with turkey already winners of the group they are either not that up for it or playing youth 

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:50pm
Would that be the Faroes biggest ever result? Bound to be. Them and Luxembourg have done well in that group.

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Would that be the Faroes biggest ever result? Bound to be. Them and Luxembourg have done well in that group.

they won away in Athens once that was huge at the time. Might have been in the North's group

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:02pm
Didn't remember that but it would top the Turkey result alright. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:08pm
In the run upto Euro 2020 Turkey were one of the form teams in Europe, think they hammered the Dutch in qualifying? What has gone wrong?

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:18pm
Top seeds
🇧🇪 Belgium
🇭🇷 Croatia
🇩🇰 Denmark
🇭🇺 Hungary
🇮🇹 Italy
🇳🇱 Netherlands
🇵🇱 Poland
🇵🇹 Portugal
🇪🇸 Spain
🇨🇭 Switzerland or Czech Rep

2nd seeds 
Pot 2: 
🇦🇹 Austria 
🇧🇦 Bosnia and Herzegovina
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England
🇮🇱 Israel
🇫🇷 France
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Wales
🇨🇿 Czech Republic or 🇨🇭 Switzerland

Plus another 3 teams

Right now it would be
Norway 🇳🇴
Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳�£󠁴󠁿
Serbia 🇷🇸

If you could handpick 

I'd go  probably Poland or maybe Czechs if they won tomorrow

Israel or Bosnia from pot 2

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:21pm
Lads and lasses unless we hit the jackpot with a decent group we havent a hope of qualifying id say. As much as i think were improving will we go away to any of those in pot 1 or pot 2 and win? Dont see it. Even at home wud we topple a really good side? Unlikely. 

-------------
I love beer gardens

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:27pm
Poland and Israel would be the hope.

We will somehow end up with Wales, Georgia and Denmark in our group though. Even if we are in the same pot it is guaranteed. 

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:29pm
A bit of a coincidence that Turkey were through already before tonights game Vs Faroe Islands 

Not saying anything but no doubt a Faroe Islands win would of been high enough odds 

Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:41pm
It wud have to Hungary and Israel for me but surely we wont get that lucky. Surely...

-------------
I love beer gardens

Posted By: Stimpy
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:42pm
We are 100% due the group of death 

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:33pm
when is the draw

Posted By: ProudIrish
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

when is the draw

9th October 

-------------
Here we go again, we're on the road again

Posted By: Bukowski
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:56pm
Frankfurt on 9 October at 12:00 CET.

-------------
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Been a long time coming. Belgium & England or Spain & France Ouch

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:28am
Croatia and Bosnia if possible please...8

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Healy52003
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Been a long time coming. Belgium & England or Spain & France Ouch

Yep and depending on how the fixtures are, we could be out of the running after matchday 3 

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:09am
We did get the worst group in the history of sport for the euro 2012 tournament, we might be still running on the fumes of that disaster. Im genuinely looking forward to it no matter who we get as I think we are slowly moving in the right direction

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:36am
I'm trying to get my head around this, but are we not still likely to get a play off place barring some very unlikely automatic qualifiers (although there are a few behind us in the rankings that could (Sweden, Turkey, maybe Greece)

-------------
Idah Dream!

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:57am

I'm trying to get my head around this, but are we not still likely to get a play off place barring some very unlikely automatic qualifiers (although there are a few behind us in the rankings that could (Sweden, Turkey, maybe Greece)

From Wikipedia (which I'd imagine just pulled straight from UEFA website)

Based on the Nations League rankings, the twelve selected teams will be chosen as follows, starting with League C and working up to League A:

1. All available group winners will be selected.
  2. If a group winner has directly qualified through the UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying group stage, then they will be replaced by the next best-ranked team from the same league that has not also directly qualified.
  3. If fewer than four teams from a given league have failed to qualify, then the remaining slots for that league will be allocated as follows:
  • The best-ranked group winner of League D will be selected, unless this team has directly qualified.
  • Remaining slots will be allocated based on the Nations League overall ranking:If the league has a group winner selected for the play-offs, then the next-best team in the overall ranking from a lower league will be selected.
If the league has no group winner available, then the best team in the overall ranking will be selected.

So from my understanding of the above at this current moment

Croatia, Portugal*,Hungary*,Netherlands From League A are guaranteed a playoff spot the only one there you could probably say might fail to be top 2 would Hungary, if Croatia Portugal, Netherlands qualify their playoff spot goes to the best ranked 2nd placed team in League A not yet qualified at present time that would be Denmark, Belgium and Spain (again all 3 of them more than likely would finish top 2) but for argument sake let's say Denmark didn't they'd take one spot the next spot would go down to one of Poland,Switzerland or France(currently 3rd) , again if they have qualified it would go down to the 4th place teams at moment Austria,England,Czech R and Wales , If the first 3 there qualified Wales would take the 3rd spot the 4th spot would then be taken by the best ranked League D winner currently Estonia

So League A playoffs would look something like this

Hungary v Estonia
Wales v Denmark

My understanding is also that if all teams from League A qualified then the playoffs would be
The winners of League D

Estonia, Latvia and then the next two highest ranked teams not qualified who aren't qualified for League B playoffs already, so for argument sake let's say Serbia and Ukraine.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 11:59am
Also to point out Turkey and Greece have already secured League C playoff spots

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:24pm

There's a lot of unknowns at this point. We'll know a bit more in the next few days. Barring a disastrous loss against Armenia we will be ranked somewhere between 25th and 28th. But there's a big difference between being 25th and being 28th. 25th still gives a decent playoff chance I think. Whoever finishes 27th will need a miracle. 28th can forget it. So there are a load of games over the next few nights not involving us that will have a huge impact. Starting with the two games in the Finland/Romania group tonight.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:26pm

There's a lot of unknowns at this point. We'll know a bit more in the next few days. Barring a disastrous loss against Armenia we will be ranked somewhere between 25th and 28th. But there's a big difference between being 25th and being 28th. 25th still gives a decent playoff chance I think. Whoever finishes 27th will need a miracle. 28th can forget it. So there are a load of games over the next few nights not involving us that will have a huge impact. Starting with the two games in the Finland/Romania group tonight.

Aye thats what it looked like to me, 25th/26th should get one, while 27th has a chance imo.

-------------
Idah Dream!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net