You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 69>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:19am
Anyone booked anything yet?
Sponsored Links

mouldymould View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouldymould Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Booked Athens direct, out with Aegean and back with Aer Lingus
Bonehead24 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonehead24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:22am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by Bonehead24 Bonehead24 wrote:

When are venues to be confirmed?
I presume Greece will be Athens and Netherlands will be Amsterdam. 
But when can we expect Franvce and Gibraltar to confirm? (Noted Gibraltar is likely to be on the airport runway again but they do change the odd time)

Greece generally play in Athens or its suburbs
The Dutch seem to move between Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
Gibraltar play at home now, they don't move around anymore.

We won't know for a few months probably. Countries don't have to confirm at this point 
Beer
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:25am

Greece away and that's it. Will wait a few months until everything else is confirmed venue wise. No rush to book the games from next September onwards 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

What's happened to the SK 80 per centers? Three campaigns and myriad friendlies later it's they who are  spewing unprecedented pessimism.

What's the very least we're entitled to expect?
 Three wins: 2 x Gibraltar and 1 x Greece.
9points

What's tough but not unreasonable: A win in Greece.
3 points

What's 95% certain? Defeats in France and Netherlands.
0 points

What's improbable but not impossible? One home win over France or Netherlands.
3 points

We need to beat one team above our ranking to give ourselves a reasonable chance. It's a tough draw but  there's room for optimism, especially with incisive input from the new assistant manager.

Majority of the 80 percent were saying he deserves a CHANCE at the euros as results had improved. 

The draw couldn't have been much worse so we are in a situation of needing to pull off something remarkable that would be a great achievement for any manager. 

To qualify, we probably need to beat Greece home and away and hope they pick up some points off the others. Even though Greece are a pot 4, they would be similar standard to ourselves so getting 6 points would be an achievement. 
I dont think there is any point in putting on a "if he doesn't qualify he is out" or "finish 3rd ok but 4th = no". I think we will know by what we see unfold whether we believe in him any more or we want tontry something new

And he's getting that chance. Very tough but, as I suggested above (with which you seem to agree), it's possible. 

I'd agree with pretty much all of the three posts above - its improbable, but possible and we need to just get behind the team and hope we can be competitive in the group. Tough opening couple of fixtures doesnt help much, but at least they are spread across 2 windows. It's not impossible that we will be welcoming the World Cup winners to Lansdowne on 27th March and we then have to go to Greece two or three weeks after the end of the season in mid June. I'd be content with 2 or 3 pts from those 2 games, zero points which is entirely possible and we will face an uphill battle.
Idah Dream!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:28am
Greece is is really the only one that can be booked with confidence (apart from Gibraltar but I think I'll skip that one).

France could be anywhere. 

Netherlands it looks like it could be Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Eindhoven. They seem to rotate between the 3
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:32am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Greece away and that's it. Will wait a few months until everything else is confirmed venue wise. No rush to book the games from next September onwards 

Some good flights to and from Malaga available with Ryanair for c. €100 if anyone is thinking Gibraltar
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:33am
One bit of luck is that we have 3 back to back set of fixtures and for two of them Gilbraltar is the 2nd game.  Only in September do we have a back to back that is not gilbraltar which is a huge few days of France away and Holland at home. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:50am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

What's happened to the SK 80 per centers? Three campaigns and myriad friendlies later it's they who are  spewing unprecedented pessimism.

What's the very least we're entitled to expect?
 Three wins: 2 x Gibraltar and 1 x Greece.
9points

What's tough but not unreasonable: A win in Greece.
3 points

What's 95% certain? Defeats in France and Netherlands.
0 points

What's improbable but not impossible? One home win over France or Netherlands.
3 points

We need to beat one team above our ranking to give ourselves a reasonable chance. It's a tough draw but  there's room for optimism, especially with incisive input from the new assistant manager.

Majority of the 80 percent were saying he deserves a CHANCE at the euros as results had improved. 

The draw couldn't have been much worse so we are in a situation of needing to pull off something remarkable that would be a great achievement for any manager. 

To qualify, we probably need to beat Greece home and away and hope they pick up some points off the others. Even though Greece are a pot 4, they would be similar standard to ourselves so getting 6 points would be an achievement. 
I dont think there is any point in putting on a "if he doesn't qualify he is out" or "finish 3rd ok but 4th = no". I think we will know by what we see unfold whether we believe in him any more or we want tontry something new

And he's getting that chance. Very tough but, as I suggested above (with which you seem to agree), it's possible. 

I'd agree with pretty much all of the three posts above - its improbable, but possible and we need to just get behind the team and hope we can be competitive in the group. Tough opening couple of fixtures doesnt help much, but at least they are spread across 2 windows. It's not impossible that we will be welcoming the World Cup winners to Lansdowne on 27th March and we then have to go to Greece two or three weeks after the end of the season in mid June. I'd be content with 2 or 3 pts from those 2 games, zero points which is entirely possible and we will face an uphill battle.

I don’t think anyone here has ever said they won’t back the team so that’s a given.

As much as we want to try and give ourselves a chance it’s a long time since we have been this despondent before a ball has been kicked as things look grim allied to the fact of our poor nations league showing means a playoff via this route is in the lap of the gods.
what we need now more than anything is luck.

We are really looking at the possibility of going at least 12 years without being at a major championships!!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

One bit of luck is that we have 3 back to back set of fixtures and for two of them Gilbraltar is the 2nd game.  Only in September do we have a back to back that is not gilbraltar which is a huge few days of France away and Holland at home. 

On the flip side, only one of our "Probable" Wins comes in the first 5 fixtures. The September window is brutal. By the time we get to the two other very winnable fixtures in October i.e. GRE (H), GIB (A), all may be lost. 

MARCH -  FRA (H)

JUNE - GRE (A)
GIB (H)

SEPT -  FRA (A)
NED (H)

I think not alone have we been very unlucky with the Group itself, we have also been pretty unlucky with the sequencing of fixtures, Greeces look much better, they have GIB H & A, IRE (H) interspersed with their two hardest games FRA (A) & NED (A) over their first 5 games. We are also unlikely to benefit from a game vs an already qualified opponent, unlike Greece who play France at home on the final matchday (we dont even have a game that day). 

All in all, its hard to be particularly positive about our chances, but we live in hope!

Idah Dream!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:07am
We have to seriously overachieve.  The last time
We out performed our seeding was 2001 and we need something similar here.  

Hopefully France will beat the Dutch in the first game and we nick a point or a win in Dublin against the French.  France will qualify in my view so I hope the Dutch are a shambles under Koeman and France take them to the cleaners and are cocky coming to Dublin. 
AKA pedantic kunt
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:09am
Utter disaster of a draw but being third seeds opens you up to that possibility. There is still an element of bad luck as the North were 5th seeds and got a much more favourable draw but that's the breaks you get.

I will be probably still go to all the games but I think the outcome of this group is fairly obvious and we will be in a battle with Greece for third. We do have the nations league route for a play-off though and from looking at the permutations it is possible so we have some hope there Thumbs Up
just hit the fecking thing
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:17am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

On the flip side, only one of our "Probable" Wins comes in the first 5 fixtures. The September window is brutal. By the time we get to the two other very winnable fixtures in October i.e. GRE (H), GIB (A), all may be lost. 

MARCH -  FRA (H)

JUNE - GRE (A)
GIB (H)

SEPT -  FRA (A)
NED (H)

I think not alone have we been very unlucky with the Group itself, we have also been pretty unlucky with the sequencing of fixtures, Greeces look much better, they have GIB H & A, IRE (H) interspersed with their two hardest games FRA (A) & NED (A) over their first 5 games. We are also unlikely to benefit from a game vs an already qualified opponent, unlike Greece who play France at home on the final matchday (we dont even have a game that day). 

All in all, its hard to be particularly positive about our chances, but we live in hope!

I'll try and put a more positive spin on it - basically, I think we need to take a minimum of 5 pts over our first three fixtures to stand a chance of automatic qualification. On the plus side, we get to throw all our resources at the French game with only one game in the opening March window and France have to play Netherlands three days previously. How we choose to prepare for that game will be interesting, do we really want to play a friendly 3 days previously? If so, it should be against the weakest opposition possible imo in preparation for the Gibralter home game in June where we may need to utilise the full squad (see hereunder)

Similarly, we get to throw all our resources at the opening game in the June window Greece (A), given that we can surely beat Gibralter at home 3 days later. It's going to be a tense game probably played in high humidity and both Greece and ourselves will recognise the significance of the fixture. We will then likely need to utilise the squad for the Gibralter game given the likely humidity and the three day turnaround, but we can surely beat a Gibralter team likely to be on 0pts from 3 games at that stage (if theyre not on 0pts, that will be good for us also).

In a general sense, I think the fact that France, Netherlands and Greece are all practically guaranteed a play-off should they fail to qualify automatically is another minor positive.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:22am

Hopefully France will beat the Dutch in the first game and we nick a point or a win in Dublin against the French.  France will qualify in my view so I hope the Dutch are a shambles under Koeman and France take them to the cleaners and are cocky coming to Dublin. 

On the flip side, if Netherlands were to waltz through the group, they could be effectively qualified by the time they play us at home on Matchday 9, as their last game on Matchday 10 is away to Gibralter. Greece play France at home Matchday 10, so all in all it's probably preferable for us that the Dutch walk away with the Gorup and beat France home and away.
Idah Dream!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:23am
Will it be even remotely possible of nailing an away ticket for the Holland game with the Season Ticket? Haven't been to an away in a long time.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Will it be even remotely possible of nailing an away ticket for the Holland game with the Season Ticket? Haven't been to an away in a long time.

It’s a Saturday match in Holland - there will be thousands looking to go. It will be tough, saying that Scotland wasn’t oversubscribed so you never know.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

If Amsterdam, we will get around 3,000 tickets. For the Slovakia play off we had 2,500 tickets I think and cut off was 2 aways so could be something similar. It being a Saturday will boost demand though
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:33am

The main thing for me is that the team continues to develop and that we are competitive in the group.

If we are getting pumped 5-0 by France and The Netherlands, that's no fun for anyone.

With players like Bazunu, Collins, Omobamidele, Molumby, Knight, Parrott and Obafemi being 23 or younger, 2026 is when we're more likely to peak.

Some of the younger talents like Adaramola, Curtis, Ferizaj, Zefi, Kone-Doherty, Moran and Ferguson might have established themselves in senior football by then as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 69>
  Share Topic