You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland vs Scotland JUNE 11th Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Travers
           Collins Duffy Lenihan 
Ebosele                               Manning
               Smallbone Cullen 
        Ogbene Obafemi Knight 

Seems a bit unfair to retain Duffy and Ogeben when they both had shockers last night. Why not go the whole hog - O'Shea for Duffy, Molumby for Cullen and CJ Hamilton for Ogbene :)
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:29pm
2 spare tickets in 116, face value

PM if interested 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Travers
           Collins Duffy Lenihan 
Ebosele                               Manning
               Smallbone Cullen 
        Ogbene Obafemi Knight 

Seems a bit unfair to retain Duffy and Ogeben when they both had shockers last night. Why not go the whole hog - O'Shea for Duffy, Molumby for Cullen and CJ Hamilton for Ogbene :)

Oh yeah and call up Jamie McGrath and give Hourihane a spin out also!
Idah Dream!
IrishMan234 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishMan234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:58pm
Travers
O’Shea Lenihan Collins Manning
Molumby Cullen
Hamilton Knight Parrott
Obafemi. Just go with this can’t be any worse than last night.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:17pm
God, another game to sit through so soon Ouch
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

God, another game to sit through so soon Ouch

Aye, it's sadistic alright. Still, I cant wait!
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:24pm
The thought of being beaten by Scotland...makes me want to puke!

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I'd like to see us revert to a back 4,

We don't have a squad suited to a back 4. We don't have fullbacks other than Coleman, everyone else is much better as a wingback (Manning, Stevens, McClean, Christie, Festy), we don't really have wingers other than Ogbene, Hamilton & Festy (2 of them untested at this level).

The entire system doesn't need to be changed around, just tweaked & much fresher legs added to the XI.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I'd like to see us revert to a back 4,

We don't have a squad suited to a back 4. We don't have fullbacks other than Coleman, everyone else is much better as a wingback (Manning, Stevens, McClean, Christie, Festy), we don't really have wingers other than Ogbene, Hamilton & Festy (2 of them untested at this level).

The entire system doesn't need to be changed around, just tweaked & much fresher legs added to the XI.

I'd agree - we need to stick with the 3 at the back system for this window at least. The problem we have is that when you start looking for fresh legs, you begin to really see the lack of depth in the squad. Hard to see Hendrick manage a 3rd 90 in 7 days, but the potential replacements really are an uninspiring bunch. Egan is likely out opening the door for Lenihan or O'Shea perhaps. Maybe Mc Clean or Manning start ahead of Stevens etc etc. You can say what you like about Kenny, but I dont think there are many obvious positions where he has been leaving better players on the bench tahn the ones he has put on the pitch. Obafemi deserves a start ahead of one of Ogbene/Robinson, maybe play a 3-4-1-2 with Knight in behind Keane and Obafemi, but otherwise its all a bit meh. Hourihane or Molumby for Hendrick just weakens the first XI imo. Lenihan is grand, Manning is grand but neither are likely to  improve the first XI.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:05pm
My starting XI vs Scotland 3-4-1-2. I'm assuming Coleman and Egan are both out. I'd love to freshen up the midfield, but I really dont think the options i.e. Molumby, Hourihane. Browne are capable against a good Scottish midfield. You could maybe make an argument for Ebosele over Christie, Manning over Mc Clean and Parrott over Keane, but that would be a lot of churn and inexperience to a team already missing 3 or 4 starters.

Kelleher

Christie
Mc Clean
Collins
Duffy
Lenihan

Cullen
Hendrick

Knight

Obafemi 
Keane

Idah Dream!
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:21pm
While I agree with your formation I can't see Kenny dropping Ogbena, so play him as the right wing back, Oshea is ahead of Lenihan and personally I'd have parrot as the number 10 as I think he can create more and also I'm not the biggest Will K fan no matter how many he scored this year. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:36pm

My starting XI vs Scotland 3-4-1-2. I'm assuming Coleman and Egan are both out. I'd love to freshen up the midfield, but I really dont think the options i.e. Molumby, Hourihane. Browne are capable against a good Scottish midfield. You could maybe make an argument for Ebosele over Christie, Manning over Mc Clean and Parrott over Keane, but that would be a lot of churn and inexperience to a team already missing 3 or 4 starters.

Kelleher

Christie
Mc Clean
Collins
Duffy
Lenihan

Cullen
Hendrick

Knight

Obafemi 
Keane

The only thing that will be achieved by starting Cullen & Hendrick again is further decline in their performances. Keeping in mind there's another game on Tuesday, what do you do then start them for the 4th game in 10 days? No.
Whatever you think of the difference in quality between Molumby/Browne & Cullen/Hendrick, tired legs make the latter the worse option on the day.

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup, he's been brutal, by far the worst of our wingbacks. Manning is a much better option, if for no other reason then he's younger & fitter. He can actually run and pass the ball.

Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

While I agree with your formation I can't see Kenny dropping Ogbena, so play him as the right wing back, Oshea is ahead of Lenihan and personally I'd have parrot as the number 10 as I think he can create more and also I'm not the biggest Will K fan no matter how many he scored this year. 

Ogbene is clearly tired & should be given a break, wearing him down even more won't help.
O'Shea was terrible when he came on, very obviously nowhere near his best & shouldn't be ahead of Lenihan. Lenihan had a great full season & has absolutely earned a shot.

Edited by Greenie50 - 09 Jun 2022 at 4:39pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

I could live with any/all of those changes - my rationale was that Ogbene looked shagged - maybe he can provide a spark off the bench. O'Shea looks well short of his best - doesnt seem to have recovered well from his injury. The idea with Keane is that he would hold his position centrally, hold the ball up and allow Obafemi buzz around him and run the channels. If Parrott can do that job and compete in the air with the Scottish cb's then give him a go for sure.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:42pm

Kelleher

Christie
Mc Clean
Collins
Duffy
Lenihan

Cullen
Hendrick

Knight

Obafemi 
Keane

The only thing that will be achieved by starting Cullen & Hendrick again is further decline in their performances. Keeping in mind there's another game on Tuesday, what do you do then start them for the 4th game in 10 days? No.
Whatever you think of the difference in quality between Molumby/Browne & Cullen/Hendrick, tired legs make the latter the worse option on the day.

McClean shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup, he's been brutal, by far the worst of our wingbacks. Manning is a much better option, if for no other reason then he's younger & fitter. He can actually run and pass the ball.

This is a must win for Kenny I think, so he has to put his best team (or close to it) out regardless of legs. I really do think the drop off from Cullen/Hendrick to 2 of Molumby/Browne/Hourihane is just too big to countenance. At least one of them has to play imo. I'm not sold on Manning at all, nor it seems are the current management setup and I thought Mc Clean put in a number of decent deliveries after coming on last night - he's also fresh enough having not started either of the previous 2 and Stevens has been abysmal.
Idah Dream!
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm

I want to see a lot of changes for Saturday, and a few callups.

Kelleher
         Lenihan Egan* Collins
Ebosele Molumby Kilkenny Manning
                   Browne
          Parrott        Obafemi

*If Egan is OK start him instead of Duffy. O'Shea was awful when he came on, Duffy still the better choice there.
Cullen can't start 3 games he's knackered, his performance will only dip further.

Robertson is tired after a long season, Eboseles youthful exuberance would hopefully give him a tough time.

Kilkenny & Smallbone callups. Though with Smallbones injury record I wouldn't start him, 15' off the bench.
Get McGrath in the squad, he's not fit to start, but he's surely good for 15'.

Knight put in a big shift last night, don't think he'd be ready to go again for Saturday.

I think this is disingenuous to say the least. I think to any even semi-neutral observer it is abundantly clear that Clarke has significantly better footballers at his disposal. He also has the advantage of a semi-reasonable domestic league to draw further players from. Kenny has a squad of ageing pros who cant get first team football and young lads starting out on their careers- the ones in between 23-28 are largely simply not good enough. There is a very significant gap between the talent of the two playing pools. 

Likewise Ukraine last night and their so called 2nd team which largely featured players playing regularly at the likes of Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev.

I have no problem with lads calling out Kenny, but to do so without acknowledging the limitations of the players available to him seems churlish.

That's the major difference between our squad & Scotlands. They have a lot of players in that 24-30  range (physical prime years) where we have missing generations.

In 5 years we could have a similar looking squad to what theirs looks like now. Maybe.
Good line up and i would have no hesitation in sticking Smallbone in at AM
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

I want to see a lot of changes for Saturday, and a few callups.

Kelleher
         Lenihan Egan* Collins
Ebosele Molumby Kilkenny Manning
                   Browne
          Parrott        Obafemi

*If Egan is OK start him instead of Duffy. O'Shea was awful when he came on, Duffy still the better choice there.
Cullen can't start 3 games he's knackered, his performance will only dip further.

Robertson is tired after a long season, Eboseles youthful exuberance would hopefully give him a tough time.

Kilkenny & Smallbone callups. Though with Smallbones injury record I wouldn't start him, 15' off the bench.
Get McGrath in the squad, he's not fit to start, but he's surely good for 15'.

Knight put in a big shift last night, don't think he'd be ready to go again for Saturday.

I think this is disingenuous to say the least. I think to any even semi-neutral observer it is abundantly clear that Clarke has significantly better footballers at his disposal. He also has the advantage of a semi-reasonable domestic league to draw further players from. Kenny has a squad of ageing pros who cant get first team football and young lads starting out on their careers- the ones in between 23-28 are largely simply not good enough. There is a very significant gap between the talent of the two playing pools. 

Likewise Ukraine last night and their so called 2nd team which largely featured players playing regularly at the likes of Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev.

I have no problem with lads calling out Kenny, but to do so without acknowledging the limitations of the players available to him seems churlish.

That's the major difference between our squad & Scotlands. They have a lot of players in that 24-30  range (physical prime years) where we have missing generations.

In 5 years we could have a similar looking squad to what theirs looks like now. Maybe.
Good line up and i would have no hesitation in sticking Smallbone in at AM

Seems unlikely that there will be any call ups from the U21s for Saturday. If Italy win tonight and the possibility of a top ranked 2nd place is also off the cards then it might happen for the game on Tuesday - if so, I'd certainly like to see Smallbone given game time and you could make a good argument for any of Bagan, Kilkenny or Coventry also. Asides from freshening things up, all are entitled to be there on merit given the paucity of our options in midfield and at left back plus capping Coventry and/or Smallbone would have the added benefit of tieing them down (not sure re Bagan? is he 21 yet?).
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:23pm

This is a must win for Kenny I think, so he has to put his best team (or close to it) out regardless of legs. I really do think the drop off from Cullen/Hendrick to 2 of Molumby/Browne/Hourihane is just too big to countenance. At least one of them has to play imo. I'm not sold on Manning at all, nor it seems are the current management setup and I thought Mc Clean put in a number of decent deliveries after coming on last night - he's also fresh enough having not started either of the previous 2 and Stevens has been abysmal.

I just can't agree with any of that really. Putting an exhausted XI out will not win the game. Mobility is such a huge part of International football.

Browne over the last 3 years has been a better performer for us than Hendrick (when he's played in his best position - AM). Molumby has put in MoTM performances in his early games for us. They are easily the better options to start rather than flogging the sh*t out of Cullen & Hendrick.

We already saw the 3 game window last September, Cullen started all 3 games and was absolutely knackered by the 3rd game, got hooked after 60'. And that was early in the season when he was fresh! He can't start the game on Saturday.

I'm not arguing for Hourihane at all, in fact I don't think he should even be in the squad. Can't run, can't tackle, doesn't want to get on the ball but when he is he's far too slow in moving it. He literally hasn't started a competitive game for us since November 2020.
Kilkenny is very mobile and a quick thinker, he should be in ahead of Hourihane.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:30pm

I just can't agree with any of that really. Putting an exhausted XI out will not win the game. Mobility is such a huge part of International football.

Browne over the last 3 years has been a better performer for us than Hendrick (when he's played in his best position - AM). Molumby has put in MoTM performances in his early games for us. They are easily the better options to start rather than flogging the sh*t out of Cullen & Hendrick.

We already saw the 3 game window last September, Cullen started all 3 games and was absolutely knackered by the 3rd game, got hooked after 60'. And that was early in the season when he was fresh! He can't start the game on Saturday.

I'm not arguing for Hourihane at all, in fact I don't think he should even be in the squad. Can't run, can't tackle, doesn't want to get on the ball but when he is he's far too slow in moving it. He literally hasn't started a competitive game for us since November 2020.
Kilkenny is very mobile and a quick thinker, he should be in ahead of Hourihane.

At least we agree on Hourihane Smile 
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic